PDA

View Full Version : Get the right insurance!!!

figgie
10-24-2012, 09:08 AM
We have booked our 6th Disney cruise for next year. In the past, I have always thought we had the right medical insurance. Last weekend, a number of the people from my neighborhood did a weekend cruise on RCL to celebrate our friends 43rd wedding anniversary. During the stop at Nassau, this sweet man, husband of 43 years, suffered a brain bleed and stroke, well, we think that is what happened. An ambulance was call and the wife had to pack her things and leave the ship with him. After an extensive surgery which he survived, he passed away on Sunday. So very sad and hard for all involved. Tragic.

The just of this story is, make sure first that you have medical insurance that will cover you outside of the country! But also check into repatriazation (not sure of this spelling yet because it is new to me, but not for long!) insurance. This is to cover the cost of getting the body of someone who has died outside the country home again. They did not have this and after looking into what I thought was our extensive coverage, we do not have it either. We will have it for our next trip though! What a horrible time this women is having! Too new and not yet settled to go into it, but please be sure you check into this insurance before you leave the country to cruise, it's important and necessary or it will cost you many thousands of dollars and emotional grief should this situation arise...:crying:

Ed
10-24-2012, 11:46 AM
100% agree. This is also the type of situation where having passports is absolutely critical. In a case like this, getting back into the US without proper documents is one hassle the family should not have to deal with.
Condolences to your friend's family, and sorry this tragedy cast a pall on what should have been an occasion to celebrate.

ElenitaB
10-24-2012, 02:30 PM
My condolences to your friend and their family. A horrible thing to happen anytime, but particularly when one is away from all that is familiar.

Since we're on the topic of insurance, if you have any kind of pre-existing condition that may affect your ability to cruise when planned, do NOT use the insurance that Disney uses. You will need a contract that contemplates pre-existing conditions. Since we book with Magical Journeys (http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/), they were able to steer us in the right direction.