PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

koppa33
10-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Please know that we are on the Deluxe Dining Plan and have 24 credits to use.

We have two girls 4 and 6.

It is their first time to Disney and first time for hubby and I in about 15+ years.

Girls are picky eaters but as long as there is a kid menu that includes pasta, mac and cheese grilled cheese, pizza we are safe anywhere.

Hubby and I LOVE food of all kinds!!

I am going to copy the places we are thinking of making our ADR's for. We are going in June the first week so Cali grill is closed btw and wondering if you could look them over and see if you would do anything different in terms of somewhere you would not do or even somewhere I didn't do that you think would be good to try and give me some input. Thanks in advance for any feedback!!

1. Cinderella’s Royal Table-Magic Kingdom-Breakfast
2. Akershus- World Showcase-Norway-Dinner
3. Sci-Fi-lunch
4. Hollywood and Vine-Breakfast
5. Tutto Italia- World Showcase-Italy-Lunch
6. Via Napoli-World Showcase-Italy-Lunch
7. Marrakesh-Dinner
8. Boma-Animal Kingdom LODGE-Dinner
9. Saana-Animal Kingdom LODGE-Lunch
10. O’Hana-Breakfast
11. 1900 Park Fare-Grand Floridian-Dinner
12. Liberty Tree-Lunch
13. Grand Floridian Café-Lunch
14. Kona Café-Polynesian Resort-breakfast
15. Coral Reef-Lunch
16. O’Hana-Dinner
17. Boatwrights-Dinner
18. Crystal Palace-Breakfast
19. Cape May Café-Breakfast
20. Chef Mickey-Breakfast
21. Mama Melrose-Fantasmic
22. Biergarten-Dinner-Lunch
23. Teppen Edo-Lunch

:mickey:

SBETigg
10-22-2012, 08:08 PM
I think you have some good choices that would make two girls very happy.What I would do differently-- I would add in more Signature Dining experiences. But with two young picky eaters, maybe your choices are for the best.

From a previous thread, I know you're determined to do the Deluxe plan and I know you realize it is a lot of sitting and dining, and you welcome the chance to allow your family the time to relax. But I do think you're underestimating exactly how much time this takes out of your every day and park time, plus how full you are after one meal to the next. You'll still be fine, it can work, but I wouldn't go in feeling obligated to clean plates or eat more than you're comfortable with just to use the credits.

Adding in some signature dining allows you to relax some of the schedule for other park experiences and not to be so full all the time. Plus, some of the best dining is the Signature dining. I might lose four places in favor of two signatures. My recommendations would be eliminate Hollywood and Vine, Tutto Italia, Boatwright's, and Marrakesh, Liberty Tree, or Boma in favor of dinners at Narcoossee's, Jiko, Artist Point, or Flying Fish, plus making a breakfast or lunch out of your many snack credits. But that's just a recommendation. Happy travels!

DizneyRox
10-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Swap meal times at CRT and Akershus.

Skip O'Hana and go to Donald's Safari Breakfast.

Cape May is a tough breakfast to get to early unless you are saying in the Epcot area resorts. Plan accordingly.

ElenitaB
10-22-2012, 08:36 PM
I think you've made some good choices, particularly considering your girls. In our opinion, breakfast is the best meal at CRT. We also enjoy Stitch's antics at 'Ohana. They have some great kids' activities at that breakfast as well.

I agree with Sherri though. I would lose Marrakesh and Cape May (it IS really hard to get to in the mornings), and include a signature dining meal instead.

Also, I'm not sure but I suspect that some of the same princesses will be at CRT and Akershus. When my DS was five, he expected Mickey to remember him from one meal to the next and wanted to continue his previous conversation. If your DDs are observant, would they be bothered if Belle or Snow White looked different (i.e., was a different CM) at the two restaurants? Just a thought.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
10-22-2012, 09:19 PM
True, where are you staying> Cape May is tough to get to. Have you thought of Hoop De Doo? We are trying it for the first time this year, but I hear it is perfect for kids your girls ages (My kids are 2.5, almost 6 and 8 so close to the same ages) They serve fried chicken, ribs and mashed potatos I believe. It is a boat ride over from Magic Kingdom and 2 credits.

The only other thing I would do different is if I were sitting down 2 times in 1 day, I would make it breakfast (late because my family can't get out of its' own way in the morning.. so we can't get anywhere before 9:30/10am) and dinner, which I would not make ADR's later than 5:30ish, because with young kids, (mine anyway) The later it is the crankier they are. And even with ADR's you are never guaranteed how long you will wait.

1DisneyNut
10-22-2012, 10:21 PM
From a kids perspective, I would ask this question: Are we going to WDW to eat or are we going to ride the rides and see the shows. As a kid I would want to ride all the rides and see all the shows and perhaps do my favorites again rather than spend 50 - 60% of my time dealing with the logistics of getting from the resort to a restaurant, from restaurant to park, worrying about my lunch reservation, getting to lunch, going back to rides and then in a few hours worrying about my dinner reservations and then getting there, etc. I personally think you are dedicating way too much of your vacation to dining and you may not realize it.
Btw, I also recommend Hoop Dee Doo Review. We have been there a few times and children usually really enjoy it. Get there a little early and your children may be chosen to ring the dinner bell and tell everyone to "Come and get it". Our kids were picked for it once.

SBETigg
10-23-2012, 12:00 AM
The deluxe dining logic a lot of people use in planning is "I sit down to eat three meals at home so why not at Disney?" Meals at home don't take as long as sit down meals at restaurants, plus the portions aren't always quite as large or enticing. And, there's not a whole new world to explore when you get up from the table.

I do agree that it's nice to have the opportunity to sit down and regroup, though, and I don't think the Deluxe plan is a bad way to go. It just takes some careful planning to make the most out of dining and park experiences combined.

disneysmiles
10-23-2012, 07:43 AM
We did the deluxe dinning plan 4 years ago with 2 teens. Never again!They hated it! Thier complaints were:
1) too much food. Daughter complained she still had a stomache full from lunch as we were rushing to our dinner adr.
2) too much time away from the fun! Some of our meals took up to 2 hours between waiting to order, waiting for the food, then waiting for the check, then waiting for the waitress to bring back the key to the kingdom card.
3)still more time away from the fun! They had to get out of line a few times to head off to yet another adr or we didn't get back from eatting in time to get to their fast pass window for a favorite ride they had been waiting for.

As far as your list for places to eat. I think it looks great...just too many of them. At least it would be for my group anyway. Counter service places can have some great food too. You still get to sit down with the family and have a nice meal. It's just much less time consuming.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you all have a great time!

BrerGnat
10-23-2012, 08:18 AM
I would consider reconsidering the deluxe plan. You can count on each meal taking at LEAST 2 hours. That's 6 hours just eating. I'm not sure about your girls, but my kids when they were 4 and 6 (they are now 6 and 8) were just not that interested in eating in general, and certainly not interested in sitting down at a table and having to be on their best behavior for 6+ hours a day. It is vacation, not school.

IF you will have a rental car, maybe this plan will be okay, but if not, forget it. Also, some of your choices may be a little exotic with picky eaters. Not every WDW kid's menu is the same, and you can't count on having "favorite food items" at every place. We learned that the hard way. You really have to examine each menu to be sure it will have what your kid wants to eat. Don't be fooled by the advice that "the kitchen can make your kid something that's not on the menu." Usually, they can't. What we found most consistent on the kid's menus were hot dogs, hamburgers, and that "mickey meaty macaroni." Of those three, only one of our kids eats hamburgers, and neither would eat the other two items. We had a heck of a time finding pizza, mac and cheese, and grilled cheese.

I hope this doesn't come off as overly critical, but this is your kid's first trip. I'd lay off the dining plan entirely, to be honest. It's just not a good way to go, particularly for your first trip with kids.

DisneyFr33k
10-23-2012, 09:32 AM
I hope this doesn't come off as overly critical, but this is your kid's first trip. I'd lay off the dining plan entirely, to be honest. It's just not a good way to go, particularly for your first trip with kids.

I agree. Our first trip was when our kids were 4 & 6 (they are now in their teens), and we didn't have the dining plan. It was best as we were battling against getting all the rides in and nap time.

But, you know your kids best. So go with what you think will make for a magical vacation!

And, welcome! :welcome::rocks:

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-23-2012, 10:13 AM
I think you have some good choices that would make two girls very happy.What I would do differently-- I would add in more Signature Dining experiences. But with two young picky eaters, maybe your choices are for the best.

From a previous thread, I know you're determined to do the Deluxe plan and I know you realize it is a lot of sitting and dining, and you welcome the chance to allow your family the time to relax. But I do think you're underestimating exactly how much time this takes out of your every day and park time, plus how full you are after one meal to the next. You'll still be fine, it can work, but I wouldn't go in feeling obligated to clean plates or eat more than you're comfortable with just to use the credits.

Adding in some signature dining allows you to relax some of the schedule for other park experiences and not to be so full all the time. Plus, some of the best dining is the Signature dining. I might lose four places in favor of two signatures. My recommendations would be eliminate Hollywood and Vine, Tutto Italia, Boatwright's, and Marrakesh, Liberty Tree, or Boma in favor of dinners at Narcoossee's, Jiko, Artist Point, or Flying Fish, plus making a breakfast or lunch out of your many snack credits. But that's just a recommendation. Happy travels!

Good Advice

koppa33
10-23-2012, 10:47 AM
So this is my thoughts back and reply to you all :)

My girls NEED breaks. First of all they are not "tough" kids that will walk through the tiredness and they get HOT really easy, they sweat in the fall kind of kids. With that being said, being at Disney, Getting them to go back to the hotel and "take a break" is not going to happen. I figured sitting down, in air conditioned fun, would be good for everyone. I do realize it would take up to 2 hours but hey there are 12 hours of park time in a day. Really how much more do you want to push kids or go go go when you have 9 days there. We want to take it easy and if we Don't get EVERYTHING in then there is always another year. My girls aren't big into needing to do and see everything they will be happy with what we get to and grateful. I figure for Breakfast we will get into the parks early and it will be done before the parks open so that leave lunch and dinner so only 4 hours of our 12 hour time frame would be taken. I think that leaves alot of time for 4 and 6 year old girls. I may be way off and come back and say I should have listened but for now I have to go with my gut and heart and say this is best for our family.

I do thank you though for your suggestions and praises with my food picks!!! :):mickey:

SBETigg
10-23-2012, 11:07 AM
You know your family, and it's going to be a great time. Lots to discover and enjoy! :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
10-23-2012, 11:24 AM
I am also in the camp that the deluxe dining plan is too much food/too much time sitting in restaurants, especially for young children. We pretty much bet on each TS meal taking us close to 2 hours. It really does take the 2 hours to enjoy the meal. If your rushing through each meal just so it doesn't take long you are sort of wasting your time with all these nice meals. My kids are now 12 and 10, but when they were younger (heck even now sometimes) that one 2 hour meal was enough for one day. There is so much fun to be had outside the dining rooms!

I know you want to get your $$$ worth, but have you considered doing at least a few Quick Service meals? Being its a first trip for your girls, and you and your husband's first in such a long time, I don't know that you'll want to be watching the clock for all these scheduled meals. Almost seems there won't be any room to be the least bit spontaneous.

Your list of places looks good, if you are sure you want that many meals. At the very least I would let go of a few TS meals, book one signature meal or dinner show, and leave a few meal times open for spur of the moment Quick Service meals. I think your trip would be more "well rounded" that way. Just my :twocents: !

1DisneyNut
10-23-2012, 12:00 PM
I doubt you will get in to early breakfasts and be done before the park opens. If you do, great but otherwise you are eating into the best time to be in the parks which is early before the crowds swell. If it is busy, you will be lucky to get in 3 rides or shows in your 4 hour window between meals. At that rate it might take you 3 days just to do the Magic Kingdom. We always do Magic Kingdom in one day and we do and see practically everything there.

The good thing is you can always do what we did when we got free dining a few years ago. We found we hated working around, worrying about and trying to get to our ADR's so after our second day we cancelled all of our remaining ADR's for the week and just went off the cuff from there on. We would walk up and see if we could get into places when we were ready to eat or when we could return and a couple of times we called and made last minute ADR's while in the park. It was more enjoyable for us to work our dining around our park time, rides and shows rather than work our park time around ADR's. We will never do ADR's for our entire vacation again. We may make a couple for something we really want to do such as a dinner show like Hoop Dee Doo or maybe a restaurant somebody just really wants to try but other than never again.

Gator
10-23-2012, 04:41 PM
2. Akershus- World Showcase-Norway-Dinner
3. Sci-Fi-lunch
7. Marrakesh-Dinner
8. Boma-Animal Kingdom LODGE-Dinner
10. O’Hana-Breakfast
12. Liberty Tree-Lunch
15. Coral Reef-Lunch
16. O’Hana-Dinner
22. Biergarten-Dinner-Lunch
23. Teppen Edo-Lunch

I'm not sure exactly how many days you're staying, but I'm assuming 7 since you said a week. I've left 14 places that I think are really great.

My suggestions would be to do Akershus at lunch. This way, you get a great Princess meal for the girls while getting the yummy norweigian cuisine. Also, Teppen Edo is good for lunch or dinner, as is Biergarten.

koppa33
10-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Staying 9 days...

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-24-2012, 08:09 AM
I think you know what schedule will work best for your kids but still agree that with the Deluxe Plan you should take advantage of some of the Signature Dining.....having said that I like most of your choices just fine....

Gator
10-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Staying 9 days...

9 days. OK. Then I would do Cinderella's Royal Table on 1 day, which takes two credits. You can eat at Starlight Cafe or Pecos Bill cafe for lunch on the cheap. Also, Le Cellier is great option, even if it's 2 TS as well. If you do have a time where you need to eat at CS, try Flame Tree over at AK. It's as good as any TS.

Dulcee
10-24-2012, 12:29 PM
1. Cinderella’s Royal Table-Magic Kingdom-Breakfast Keep It! Your girls will love it
2. Akershus- World Showcase-Norway-Dinner If your girls are into Princesses I'd drop this for dinner and do it for breakfast
3. Sci-Fi-lunch Not my favorite but odds are two little girls will love the cars and you'll love the chance to sit down with them entertained in the middle of the day
4. Hollywood and Vine-Breakfast I'd drop this and do an easy breakfast at your resort, or use this for a dinner credit if you change Norway to breakfast
5. Tutto Italia- World Showcase-Italy-Lunch
6. Via Napoli-World Showcase-Italy-Lunch
7. Marrakesh-Dinner
8. Boma-Animal Kingdom LODGE-Dinner I'd change this to a 2 credit, drop a lunch and go to Jiko's. Your taste buds will thank you.
9. Saana-Animal Kingdom LODGE-Lunch Are you planning on AK this day? Maybe make your life easier and swap this for Yak & Yeti which is in the park
10. O’Hana-Breakfast
12. Liberty Tree-Lunch
13. Grand Floridian Café-Lunch
14. Kona Café-Polynesian Resort-breakfast One of our favorite breakfast spots!
15. Coral Reef-Lunch I'd swap this for San Angel (Mexico), unless your girls are into the aquarium, then I can see it being a keeper
16. O’Hana-Dinner Love!
17. Boatwrights-DinnerI'd use this credit and #22 for a night at Artist Point, Narcoosees or California Grill instead
19. Cape May Café-Breakfast
22. Biergarten-Dinner-Lunch I'd drop this one entirerly but I've never been a fan of their menu
23. Teppen Edo-Lunch

We're doing the DlxDP as well. Despite the nay-sayers on here we look forward to it. Our vacations tend to revolve around food. When I was a kid it was pretty normal for us to sit down 2-3 times a day at WDW so your plan doesn't phase me. We could only handle so much park time at once, sitting down gave us a chance to regroup and decide what was next.

I left some comments above my only other urging would be use some of those credits for 2 credit signature experiences. Even if its only one or two. Since your girls seem able to handle sit downs splurge and do Narcoosee's or Artist Point. Its really, truly worth it. The food, atmosphere and service of signatures is above and beyond better then the 1 credits.

etibbetts
10-24-2012, 12:40 PM
I agree with previous posters that the Hoop De Doo is a great suggestion. My nephew and niece were 4 & 7 when we went and they loved it! They even got picked to ring the dinner bell.

I found with one table service we always felt like it took so much time away from the parks to eat, but you know your family best, and if that is what works for you, I think it's great!

Have a wonderful trip and can't wait to hear what you think of all of those restaurants when you return.