PDA

View Full Version : CBR not a safe place!!!!

Dario
10-22-2012, 01:42 PM
I just came back from a 8 day 7 night trip to Disney World. We stayed at the Caribbean Beach Resort and my expiriences was less than magical. Everyday we notice things had moved in our suitcases and stuff but we didn't pay too much attention.
On my last night after returning from The Spirit of Aloha show we noticed that One of our Ipad's was gone!!! I call management and they say they could not do anything more than give me a number to file a claim. The security guard had no clue what he had to do and although Josh the manager was very nice I feel that no one was talking the issue seriously.:mad:

Now I am waiting for disney burocracy and for someone to provide me with an update. It is sad. At this point I am not sure what else to do except to wait for the claims departmen....

In summary please avoid this location if you can because your privacy will be violated and someone might steal something!!!!!!!

mom2morgan
10-22-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about your experience, but I have to say - we just stayed there in September (2 rooms for 10 days) and had great mousekeeping and no problems. It sounds like you hit one awful employee - but that shouldn't make an assumption about the whole resort. I hope you get the issue resolved!

satchel01
10-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Wow, that's terrible! I just returned from a 7 night stay at CBR too and as far as I can tell nothing was stolen from us.

I did have a run in with a large palmetto that left me a bit freaked out. It was in my sock, that I had just put on my foot!! The management was nice enough to give us a new room as I didn't know where that bugger ran off to. There was no way I was going to be able to sleep in a room that I know has a huge cockroach on the loose!

I hope you get some resolution to your missing ipad!!

Dario
10-22-2012, 03:01 PM
I was not able to sleep the last night. I am just sad of how that one event ruined my whole week...

Flames24
10-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Doesn't iPad have a app that you can find where it's at. I know the iPhones have it and I thought the iPad has it too.

VWL Mom
10-22-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, what a terrible way to end a trip. Did you have the find my ipad app on it? Have you given it a try? If nothing else you can use it to wipe any sensitive info that may be on it.

Dario
10-22-2012, 03:49 PM
I did...But it seems they have already reset the ipad...it always shows offline

CosmicRay
10-22-2012, 03:51 PM
As others have asked, did you have the Where's my IPad app? A flight attendant stole a passenger's IPad during a flight. The police checked the app and it took them right to the flight attendant in her apartment trying to hack into it to reset the settings.

DizneyRox
10-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Doesn't iPad have a app that you can find where it's at. I know the iPhones have it and I thought the iPad has it too.
I'm fairly confident it only works well if you have 3G (Data Contract) on it.. I think it works, but you'll probably only get as close as a town to it. WiFi isn't as tracable as cellular data.

Dario
10-22-2012, 04:39 PM
ine was a WIFI only Ipad....so I am guessing I will not be lucky...I just can pray that Disney does the right thing. But not holding my breath:fingers:

DizneyRox
10-22-2012, 04:52 PM
ine was a WIFI only Ipad....so I am guessing I will not be lucky...I just can pray that Disney does the right thing. But not holding my breath:fingers:
I'll confirm tonight, just to be sure. I've got one of each. I would guess it's a device ID it uses, so just wiping the firmware shouldn't be enough to hide it, but WiFi usually only tracks down to a router used by the ISP. You might get an IP out of it, and then be able to track that, BUT, I think you'll need to keep trying until they are actually online.

DizneyRox
10-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Well I'll be! Both iPads show very close to each other, one about 30 feet from e, the other about 20. One is 3G the other is not. Go figure! Good luck! Wait till it comes online, you can at the very least, lock it...

Ian
10-22-2012, 07:08 PM
First off every Apple device has a device ID that you need to register it with iTunes. Just call Apple, report your device stolen, and when someone registers it with iTunes you'll be able to track them down through the credit card they use for purchases.

In terms of any hope of getting it back, I wouldn't be too optimistic. Every single time I've lost something at WDW it's "magically" never turned up (pun definitely intended).

faline
10-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience. The only time we had something disappear (two sweatshirts that we left with our luggage before our room was ready), Disney did nothing except tell us we could file a claim with our homeowners' insurance.

Ian
10-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Unfortunately I think this is another instance of the bad behavior of a few forcing Disney into some inside-out thinking instead of outside-in.

Disney got this reputation as a company who would do whatever to please their guests. Over the years your typical shady types started to take advantage. I lost this, I lost that ... this character did this or that to my kid I want a free pass or free lunch or whatever.

Eventually Disney started to view their guests more as a nuisance and a bunch of greedy, never happy grumblers who made their lives difficult. That's unfortunately what happens when you have the same leadership team in place over an extended period of time.

brownie
10-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Sending this to the Accommodations forum.

BrerGnat
10-23-2012, 08:27 AM
I'm really sorry this happened to you. Nothing like some dishonesty to ruin an experience.

You will probably get nowhere with Disney, but you can certainly file a claim with your homeowner's or renter's insurance. I know my company covers loss due to theft of personal items while on vacation. Check into it.

Dario
10-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Thank you!

ginny57
10-23-2012, 08:35 AM
I have traveled a lot (for work mostly) and I always worry about my things. I never bring along expensive jewelry and, if I can't lock up my valuable electronics, I either leave them at home or carry them with me. Sadly there is no place where you can be certain this won't happen....not even Disney. :(

BigRedDad
10-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Well, after watching how easy people can get into almost any hotel room with a key card, I would not bet that this was done by an employee. There are plans on how to build and code the device to open almost all card key locks at hotels for about $50. Once you have it, it takes less than 2s to get into the door.

I can't seem to find the article, but the news crew did it at a Hilton Garden Inn to show how easy it is. You can look for it on Yahoo and see if you can find it. The segment clearly shows how unsafe it is in any hotel with a key card access. Nothing is safe, even in the room safe. There is an segment somewhere on how easy it is to get a master key or reset the combination.

faberj
10-23-2012, 11:13 AM
I am shocked to say the least! I guess my iPad will be staying home now as I don't think it will fit into the safe at AoA.
I will also be purchasing locks for my suitcases to use at the resort. Something I haven't ever done but now feel the need as I do not want my personal items stolen!

Lindsey310
10-23-2012, 02:08 PM
What a terrible experience!! I'm sorry you had a bad time!

I always worry about our iPads and cameras when we go on vacation but I have never worried in Disney. Keep us updated on any resolution!!

Gator
10-23-2012, 04:28 PM
I'ts unfortunate that 1 evil idiot can make the entire group of mousekeeping look bad. I hope you get it back, and I hope they catch the creep who stole it.

figgie
10-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm so sorry you had things stollen from your room. Unfortunately, though we all tend to think of Disney as someplace special and magical, it is still the same as anywhere else on the earth with the same humans inhabiting it. This is why they provide safes in your room, as any other hotel room does. A shame some electronics won't fit in the safe. I also don't bring anything with me to a hotel that I can't live without, stuff happens, even at Disney. If you are at a place that attracts large amounts people you will find people who are looking to cash in on that. No place can guarantee nothing bad will ever happen, that's just a given and you have to accept it...:(

minnie04
10-23-2012, 04:49 PM
That really stinks!!!! I have learned it is safer to leave my Ipad, IPods, or whatever the kids bring IN THE CAR!! Yes in the car under the seats, behind them seats or somewhere out of sight. Never in the glove box or center consol. that’s the first place the thieves look...lol I really try not to bring those things with us, but if we do. I feel safer when they are in the car. I usually go before we head out to the parks. Trust me I don’t flash that I am doing this. I just don't trust the "mouse keeping" with too many expensive things in our room...

Aurora
10-23-2012, 04:54 PM
We use the in-room safe whenever it's available. IPads usually fit in a standard safe; laptops don't.

magicofdisney
10-23-2012, 04:56 PM
I am shocked to say the least! I guess my iPad will be staying home now as I don't think it will fit into the safe at AoA.
I will also be purchasing locks for my suitcases to use at the resort. Something I haven't ever done but now feel the need as I do not want my personal items stolen!

I can guarantee that at least 2 iPads will fit into the wall safes at the value resorts. This should be where the iPads live while you're in the parks.

TinkerbellT421
10-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience. :( that's definitely not a good way to end your vacation.

But, if you would like to laugh at this time, you should google "iPhone stolen on Disney cruise"
So if you have an iCloud set up, maybe you can hope they do the same thing that cm did when they stole her iPhone.

Unfortunately, mousekeepers and Disney cast members are capable of being just as cruel as anyone not disney related. I have never had this experience at Disney, and hope I never know what it feels like, as I can only imagine how upset I would be.

Also, keep in mind that while mousekeeping is cleaning your rooms at values it actually irks me....when I stayed there I noticed something which completely freaked me out. They clean the rooms with several doors open at one time. It is not impossible for someone, anyone, to slip in a room and take something and get out without anyone noticing. I noticed this and even had commented at the time to DBF that that seems like a really silly thing to do. A mousekeeper would be cleaning and busy in one room and two other rooms would have there doors propped wide open for anyone to enter. With luggage bags literally right there at the door, some even open! i looked and was like oh my god! i was steamed and left my luggage hidden between the beds so noone could see after i saw this! Seems a little silly to do this especially the way the doors are facing the outside to such heavy traffic. At the dvc resorts I have only ever seen them clean one room at one time unless empty all other doors would be shut. You would think disney would see an issue with cleaning rooms this way, no? Like a security breach for lack of a better term!

LVT
10-23-2012, 11:25 PM
So sorry to hear of your lost ipad. Some have mentioned the newer lock/key systems. Does anyone know if the Infrared Keys are any more secure than the old set up?

BrerGnat
10-24-2012, 08:47 AM
They do leave room doors open while they are cleaning, but they are supposed to block the doorway with the cleaning cart. I had to enter my room at BC a couple times on our last trip while the housekeeper was in there to get sunscreen and forgotten goggles. The first time, before she knew us, she closed the door and made us open it with our key to get in. The second time, she recognized me and let me in. While it might appear that they are just leaving the door open, they won't just let anyone walk in unless the know it is their room.

With that said, though, I find it foolish to bring anything on vacation that you can't stand to lose. We bring our cheapie netbook for the sole purpose of offloading our photos from our camera each day (into the online photo storage site we use), in case we lose our camera, so we won't lose our pictures. We password lock all our electronics (cell phones, netbook) just in case, but if they get taken, it's not a big deal. We don't even lock up the netbook. Anyone who would steal it thinking it's actually worth something would be a fool and it would be no sweat to us if it ended up missing. We don't have any sensitive information on any devices we travel with. You have to be smart about that stuff. If our cell phone becomes lost, we know to immediately call AT&T and shut it down. My sister had her iPhone stolen at Legoland a couple years ago. Within minutes of realizing it was gone, she was on the phone with AT&T (using my cell phone), reported it stolen, and they completely shut it down. Later, at Lost and Found, her phone was there. Apparently, the thief (a teenager) had discarded it when he realized the phone was a brick. A security guard saw him throw it into the bushes, questioned him about it, took him into custody, and found a BUNCH of stolen electronics in his backpack. My sister was able to get her phone back (identified it by its case), called AT&T, and they turned it right back on. Easy peasy.

TinkerbellT421
10-24-2012, 09:12 AM
They do leave room doors open while they are cleaning, but they are supposed to block the doorway with the cleaning cart. I had to enter my room at BC a couple times on our last trip while the housekeeper was in there to get sunscreen and forgotten goggles. The first time, before she knew us, she closed the door and made us open it with our key to get in. The second time, she recognized me and let me in. While it might appear that they are just leaving the door open, they won't just let anyone walk in unless the know it is their room.

That is my experience as well in the deluxe resorts. At the values, I stayed at All Star Movies and at POP. Both times I witnesses every morning while mousekeeping would leave three doors open at one time, and not have a cart blocking the doors. Cause I literally was shocked and said to DBF I could literally walk in that room right now and noone would ever know.

Polynesian Dweller
10-24-2012, 09:37 AM
I'll put my hotelier hat on for this one. First, I feel badly for the OP that this occurred but theft of items can happen at any hotel anywhere. Nothing unique about CBR. Guests of any hotel have to assume that they need to protect their property by locking it in suitcases or the room safe. Tourists anywhere are targets of thieves and you just have to presume it could happen anywhere.

Hotels would love it if they could 100% keep thieves out but that's not possible even in locked access. Let me illustrate with two things that happened in our recent stay. We were returning to our room and approached the door to our building and a kindly person opened the door for us even before we got our key card out. Nice, but that's how thieves and pizza guys get in. They count on the niceness of people to let them in.

The second incident was finding a security door propped open with a coke can. Someone had probably run out for something without their key and wanted an easy way in. Hotels just can't prevent that kind of guest behavior.

Finally, Disney likely won't do anything. By law hotels have very limited liability for personal property. The sections are long in both our countries but essentially it boils down to hotel's can't be responsible for things they don't know are in their hotel's. Without liability protection hotels would be wide open to 'stolen property' scams, and with the number of different scams I've seen i know it would happen.

Disney did what they should by telling the person how to report it. But they won't set precedent by going beyond their liability responsibility. It's not that they don't care but rather that it is the person's property not the hotel's and the person's decision to follow it up with a report. Police can only work with the property owner.

Again, sorry that this happened and hope that you can recover your iPad.

lawgirl
10-24-2012, 09:50 AM
I am so sorry for the OP...that would definitely ruin a vacation. I feel so bad for you, but I am so appreciative that you posted your story so that others can remember to lock up their valuables! We just got back from AKL and had the laptop, phones, and ipad just sitting around the room, and didn't even think twice about it. I would have been furious if someone had stolen anything! I think a couple of times my husband left his wallet on the counter when we left the room, as I had my purse with me. Never again!

Now I know to lock it all up before we go anywhere. Thanks for sharing, and I hope it can be found! I do know that one of my friends had her iphone stolen recently at a restaurant. They were able to use that app, and the police actually went to the guys house and arrested him!

Granny Jill A
10-25-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss and how it ruined your vacation. Unfortunately, people are people, even in Disney World.

I take everything of value with me each time I leave the room. I also make a habit of putting things away. Don't know if this has made the difference over the years, or if I've just been lucky.

It's a real shame that your wonderful trip to the Happiest Place turned out badly.

joonyer
10-25-2012, 06:01 PM
If you were the victim of a theft, then you should have called 911 and reported this to the police immediately. To heck with dealing with the hotel or Disney security. They have a vested interest in not admitting any liability. The police have ways of tracking stolen electronics like iphones and ipads, and the sooner this is reported the more likely they are to catch the thief still in possession of the goods. Make a Police Report and ask them to investigate,

BJSforVols
10-25-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm fairly confident it only works well if you have 3G (Data Contract) on it.. I think it works, but you'll probably only get as close as a town to it. WiFi isn't as tracable as cellular data.

No, it works off of the GPS in the Ipod. It's not tracing the cellular data.

DizneyRox
10-26-2012, 10:21 AM
No, it works off of the GPS in the Ipod. It's not tracing the cellular data.
Non 3G iPads do not have GPS hardware. Maybe the "New iPad" but not the older ones (first and second gen, probably the third gen as well). And, the GPS is cellular assisted...

iPods may be another story, the OP was talking about a stolen iPad.

AmandaChan
10-27-2012, 04:27 PM
So sorry to hear about your experience. Makes you wonder if it would be smart to lock up your suitcase when you're gone. We've left laptops in the room before. Seems like a dumb thing for a housekeeper to take something but it's hard telling how easy it could be for someone to make a key to your room and get into it, it could have been anyone. I wouldn't tolerate them taking the issue lightly. I'm sure if they had an ipad stolen they would be livid as well. We stayed at CBR last year and I have to say we had not so great experiences with mousekeeping but again it could have been anyone. And it could have happened anywhere. Hope they get it all sorted. What a bummer.

VWL Mom
10-27-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm sorry this happened to you but unfortunately it's the world we live in. We recently have started to travel with a lock for one suitcase. Money, ipads, and smaller items go in the safe but anything larger gets locked in the suitcase. I take a photo of the items in the suitcase and a photo of the locked luggage piece showing it in the room, this way if it gets stolen I have proof of its existence. Also, when leaving our items with bell services at check-in/out, anything items of value go into one case and the lock gets put on.

stephicakes
10-28-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm sorry this happened to you but unfortunately it's the world we live in. We recently have started to travel with a lock for one suitcase. Money, ipads, and smaller items go in the safe but anything larger gets locked in the suitcase. I take a photo of the items in the suitcase and a photo of the locked luggage piece showing it in the room, this way if it gets stolen I have proof of its existence. Also, when leaving our items with bell services at check-in/out, anything items of value go into one case and the lock gets put on.

Taking a picture is a great idea! Thanks for sharing this! :thumbsup:

Dario
10-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Well Disney and the police department are still doing their investigation. But the claims department has decided to pay in full the value of the ipad. Here a couple of key point I leaned...

-No matter the value of what was stolen...the max Disney will pay is $500

-Make sure you call the police, this help validate both investigations

-be persistant

-lock all your valuables....If you are not going to use it....leave it home!

Thanks!:)

Lizzie
10-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks for sharing this. I am off to CBR in a couple of weeks going to make sure my iPad goes in the safe.

brownie
10-30-2012, 11:12 AM

Sound advice. If you have to bring something valuable, use the room safe or take it with you. Our room safe at Pop Century was able to fit our son's laptop and probably had space for another one.

Lindsey310
10-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Well Disney and the police department are still doing their investigation. But the claims department has decided to pay in full the value of the ipad. Here a couple of key point I leaned...

-No matter the value of what was stolen...the max Disney will pay is $500

-Make sure you call the police, this help validate both investigations

-be persistant

Thanks!:)

I'm glad you got some sort of resolution! :thumbsup:
Will keep this post in mind when we go on vacation!
5 days until grand cayman!!!!! :joy: