PDA

View Full Version : What do you eat because of Disney Dining

Gator
10-19-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm not sure if any of you have my kind of experience to share, but here's mine. On our first year on the DDP, they offered appetizers with the meal. We had a ressie at Teppen Edo. When they offered appetizers, they only one that sounded palatable was chilled soybeans - so we got that. And I loved it! Now I get shelled soybeans from the store and we have them as a really tasty vegetable at least once a week at dinner.

I've got one more, but I want to hear from you guys first.

SBETigg
10-19-2012, 09:20 PM
I've always been an adventurous eater. There's nothing I can think of that is new to me from Disney (well maybe Dole Whips).

But I did get my husband to try escargot on our Disney honeymoon after he swore he would never try them. He lived in France as a boy and he would gather snails and sell them to local restaurants, so that put him off eating them. Until our honeymoon visit to Chefs de France. He doesn't love them, but he likes them enough to order them occasionally now, depending on how they're prepared.

Niecyboo
10-19-2012, 10:46 PM
I'm going with a Teppan Edo item as well. Our first time there, none of the desserts sounded the least bit interesting or good so I just ordered green tea pudding because I wasn't going to waste the dessert credit. Now I would eat there just for the pudding! I was thinking just a normal pudding but it is more like a flan or creme brulee (the items I get at any other Disney restaurant that has them).

DisneyGlutton
10-20-2012, 04:16 AM
The first example that comes to mind is trying a Wild Boar appetizer at Artist Point. It is something I would never think to order if it wasn't included as part of the DP. Now, wild boar is my favorite meat and I constantly crave it--too bad I can never find it, lol.

Another example would be "springing" for the Surf and Turf at Narcoossee's...and finding out that I loathe lobster.

SBETigg
10-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Another example would be "springing" for the Surf and Turf at Narcoossee's...and finding out that I loathe lobster.

Maine lobster and the lobster on the surf and turf plate are different. You might still like lobster, just not that lobster. I can't order the surf and turf at Narcoossee's because I'm spoiled with delicious New England lobster around home and they use warm water tails on the surf and turf plate, which are vastly inferior to me. I love lobster and I didn't love the surf and turf lobster.

If you liked the boar, you might also like ostrich. It's surprisingly beefy for a bird meat. You might be able to find a local butcher or some specialty shops that carry such things in your area, but it would take some looking.

Itchy
10-20-2012, 12:54 PM
I am not a big fish person, but a lot of the time I will get the salmon that is on the menu at the Wave or the teryaki steak at Kona Cafe.

I miss the days when they had the appetizer included with the dining plan. I am not a big dessert person.

disneydeb
10-20-2012, 01:31 PM
When on the dining plan, I order the most expensive thing covered by the plan. I usually don't do that.;)

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Tonga Toast and Macademia Nut Pancakes at Kona:) Also, believe it or not the first time I had risotto was at LeCellier

My son tried Escargot at Chefs De France and discoverd he loves them

Cinderelley
10-27-2012, 04:20 AM
Norwegian school bread :cloud9:

Gator
10-27-2012, 12:58 PM
OK, here's my second one. I never used to eat gyro sandwiches back home. Then I hear about Tangeriene Cafe and how good it was. So I went there and... now I go to gyro sandwich shops at home at least once a month. I will say that no one makes baklava as good as Tangeriene Cafe, but that keeps me coming back when I'm at WDW :thumbsup:

Cinderelley
10-28-2012, 01:59 AM
OK, here's my second one. I never used to eat gyro sandwiches back home. Then I hear about Tangeriene Cafe and how good it was. So I went there and... now I go to gyro sandwich shops at home at least once a month. I will say that no one makes baklava as good as Tangeriene Cafe, but that keeps me coming back when I'm at WDW :thumbsup:

Hmm. I had no idea that is what they served there. We may have to check it out.

natstroop
10-28-2012, 12:40 PM
We will be trying Teppen Edo this year. We've never eaten Japanese before so it will be a unique experience for us. We usually don't eat desserts like they have at WDW. And we tried Tusker House two years ago. We've never eaten African cuisine before, so that was also a new experience. We're not very adventurous eaters, so we always like to try something new when at WDW.

Pop Centurion
10-30-2012, 03:37 PM
I never tried Hummus before a trip to WDW back in '07. Really enjoyed it & have been eating it ever since. Other than that I don't recall having anything new.

steamboat willy
11-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Not a big dessert eater but when we had the Basic TS Plan that included a dessert, we tried some great ones.
My FAVORITE was the Mango Pie at Yak & Yati.
This year, even though we don't have TS Dining I'm going to Y&Y and see if we can set at the Bar and have a piece of Pie?
:eat:

33 Days....:santa::tree::santa: