PDA

View Full Version : WDW w/ 5 Month Old....

DisneyBunch
10-18-2012, 11:04 PM
We're taking a five month old to WDW in December. Does anyone have any advice or tips about what we have in store? :mickey::party:

mickeys_princess_mom
10-19-2012, 12:00 AM
We're taking a five month old to WDW in December. Does anyone have any advice or tips about what we have in store? :mickey::party:

Congratulations! :mickey: Be sure to check out the Baby Centers in the parks, and there are lots of quiet spots for a little respite from the crowds. Even in December, the sun can be an issue, so (my main soapbox item!) please cover up those little tootsies sticking out of the stroller. If it's really warm, a stroller fan can help a lot. Just be prepared for any kind of weather--it often has a wide range in Florida that time of year. Take lots of pictures! :wave:

mickeys_princess_mom
10-19-2012, 12:06 AM
And strollers--mark yours with something REALLY different--you'll have to park it to go in many areas, and CMs often organize them while you're gone. Also---be on the lookout for walkers who are distracted or in a hurry who may tend to trip over your precious bundle! Practice collapsing and setting up your stroller so that it's a quick breeze when you're grabbing a bus and dismounting.
You can buy many things you may need at WDW. I often feel sorry for many of the dads I see who are packing an extremely heavy backpack. Traveling as lightly as possible will help you all enjoy your little one's first trip! :mickey:

ANG
10-19-2012, 08:04 AM
We took DS1 at 5 months. The greatest advice I can give you is to be fully aware before you go that there WILL be things you won't be able to do and be ok with that. Taking a baby/kids to WDW doesn't mean you can't have any fun. But you will have to decide what is important to you. And then try to go with the flow.

Bring a stroller that can recline so baby can nap. Better yet, use a carrier too. As you enter a show, look for the exits in case you have to leave unexpectedly.

buzznwoodysmom
10-19-2012, 10:24 AM
We took our youngest when he was just 9 months old and we had a fantastic trip. I loved taking my little ones and it never bothered me to miss out on any attractions the baby couldn't go on. We did baby swap, and for the most part we were all able to do everything we wanted, but it didn't bother me if I had to miss something. I think as long as you go in aware and OK with the idea that someone may have to sit out with the baby from time to time you can have a great time.

The trip will surely be different, especially if this is your first time taking a baby. However, those first trips when our kids were so young are still some of my favorite Disney memories. Enjoy!

mariak
10-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Congratulations! :mickey: Be sure to check out the Baby Centers in the parks, and there are lots of quiet spots for a little respite from the crowds.

There's a lot of good advice her and, in reading these, I remembered how nice it was that the baby center was so well organized and stocked! At that time, we mostly stayed in The Magic Kingdom and the baby center was located around the corner from Casey's Corner-back by the bathrooms. It's been years but I'm assuming it's still in the same spot.

Anyway, in addition to a room full of changing tables, another with high chairs (and TV to keep little ones busy), and the kitchen, they had a small, quiet room with 3 or 4 rocking chairs that you could go in to nurse. I was very impressed!!

Have fun! And congratulations on your little bundle of joy!

Maria

1DisneyNut
10-19-2012, 12:34 PM
If you are going to be riding the buses around WDW, do not bring a huge stroller. We did our first trip with a little one and it was a huge pain getting it on and off the buses plus you irritate other people on the bus when you drag it down the isle banging them in the knees. We bought the light weight umbrella type strollers and they are great.

Make you a check list of things you will need and add to it as you think of things. Get a back pack and put everything in it. The back pack will keep it organized and easy to carry in the parks.

The baby centers have anything and everything you may need or they will get it for you if you discover you forgot something but be ready to pay about triple the price. It beats having to leave the park and go searching for it though.

Gator
10-20-2012, 01:47 PM
I'll have to disagree about bringing a big stroller. Yes, it's a bit of a pain gettting it on the bus. But your kid will be a lot happier with a cushy stroller that can recline for naps. They won't be able to nap on an umbrella stroller or one of those hard Disney strollers. Bring a blanket to drape over the stroller to help the little one get to sleep. There WILL be lots of crankyness, no doubt, so prepare for a little agitation when the crying won't stop until the nap sets in. When the naps do happen, take advantage of baby swap so that you can do the thrilling rides.

Susan A
10-28-2012, 04:49 PM
Our daughter was 8 months when we took her to Disney in Dec. 2006.
We didn't experience as many attractions as I thought we would. I thought how difficult is it to take a baby out of a stroller and put her on my lap for a ride. Well, it wasn't that that was so time consuming. Almost everytime we finished an attraction it was either time to nurse, or time to change diapers or time for us to eat.
Don't get me wrong. We still had a great time.
I wish she had sat on Santa's lap in Epcot. In addition to Santa, there was also Mrs. Claus. The line was a little long. But my husband and I could have taken turns in line. How many kids have a picture of themselves with Mrs. Claus?
I could write more, but it's time to get dinner started.
We haven't been back to Disney since '06. I have to work on my husband.... I think a 6 and 4 year old are ready to go. Don't you? Anybody? :mickey: