PDA

View Full Version : Airline flights-cheaper on weekdays?

minnie-mouse
10-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Are flights really that much cheaper if we fly on say a Monday rather than a Saturday? I would like to save money if we can. Also, is it quieter to check-in hotel on a weekday vs. a weekend day?

faline
10-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Midweek flights are usually less expensive. Many business people fly on Mondays and Fridays. There are people coming and going every day of the week at Disney World so it's hard to know if you'll arrive at a slow check-in time or not.

Gator
10-17-2012, 05:04 PM
This usually the case, but not always. I've been flying to WDW on weekdays for the last 3 trips because it's cheaper. But my upcoming trip, I was planning on a Wed - next Fri plane trip. When I found that the Saturday flight was a few dollars less on Southwest, I extended my vacation a day. So you have to check, but usually Tues and Wed are the cheapest days to fly.

TinkerbellT421
10-17-2012, 05:23 PM
DBF and I had found a few trips ago it was significantly cheaper to leave mid week from RI and leave Florida on a Friday. We used to do ten day trips then. But work put the kibosh on ten day vacations so we have had to go back to the Saturday/Saturday flights. But we would go back to the midweek flights in a heart beat! If you can wing it price it!

arm00leg
10-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Last year when we booked the ticket prices were no cheaper during the week than the weekends. I think it's all about luck.

Lindsey310
10-17-2012, 09:22 PM
A southwest airline flight attendant told us flights are significantly cheaper if you fly in and out on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. So say tues-tues might be cheaper and less busy too! Also they said afternoon flights are more expensive (and more crowded) than early morning flights. :mickey:

magicofdisney
10-17-2012, 09:28 PM
A southwest airline flight attendant told us flights are significantly cheaper if you fly in and out on a Tuesday or a Wednesday. So say tues-tues might be cheaper and less busy too! Also they said afternoon flights are more expensive (and more crowded) than early morning flights. :mickey:
I second this simply based on experience. My husband is a business traveler. He and his coworkers generally travel Sundays and Thursdays. Because of this, costs are generally greater on those travel days.

Aurora
10-18-2012, 12:13 AM
If you look online at some of the airline sites, you can see at a glance some of the low fares throughout a particular month. It's true that Tues. and Wed. offer the lowest fares in general, but not necessarily EVERY Tues. and Wed. Also, as seats are bought and reserved for a particular flight, the remaining fares will go up for that flight.

Airlines are changing fares all the time, and when a real sale comes, those seats are grabbed right away.

Re: Checking into a hotel, same thing -- in general there are fewer people checking into a hotel on a Tues. or Wed. Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays bookend long weekends, and of course especially at Disney, Saturdays and Sundays are busy check-in and -out days.