PDA

View Full Version : Refillable mugs...need some professional help here!

lawgirl
10-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Sooo, we bought refillable mugs at The Mara at AKL when it first opened, was that like 10 years ago? Anyways, throughout the years we have always taken our mugs, and have ALWAYS asked before using them at the Mara and drink stations at Kidani, and we have ALWAYS been told it was fine, that those mugs are "lifetime" mugs (I believe I had a manager tell me that 2-3 years ago, in that phrasing), and we have never once had anyone tell us we couldn't use those original mugs at the Mara.

Now, I realize that the mugs now have qualifying language printed clearly on them that they are only to be used at the resort purchased at for the duration of your stay. But the original ones don't have that printed anywhere on them, and I'm trying to remember if they were marketed as limited use mugs, and I don't think they were. (Please feel free to jump in and correct me wherever or whenever Im wrong!).

So, we did the same this trip to AKL. We took our original Mara mugs, to the Mara and to the Kidani shop, and asked each time, and everyone always said yes that's fine, no problem, until about half-way through the trip,"Beverly" at the Kidani gift shop, marches up to me and practically jumps on my back about "You can't use that mug here, you can't do that, it's not allowed, yada yada yada..." I asked for her manager, who conveniently wasn't available and so I thanked her politely, and stepped over to the concierge desk and told them my story. They were a bit enthralled with the mug, and even took photos to send to merchandising, as most of them had not been around when the AKL Mara first opened. The manager on duty went above and beyond, and walked over and told me to get however many mugs I needed, and that it was on the house.

But Im still concerned about our original Mara mugs. Does anyone know anything about this? Is there any official or unofficial policy regarding those original mugs? I've always been told its ok.

lawgirl
10-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Oh and I would like to add that I in no way am interested in breaking any rules or trying to sneak drinks or anything like that, and would never want to do something that is against policy. I don't mind buying new mugs...throughout the years we've bought other refillable mugs, especially as our group size increased. But we've always been told that those original mugs were fine to reuse at Mara, which is why we bring them.

I will gladly lay them to rest if someone officially tells me that they are no longer valid to be used.

VWL Mom
10-17-2012, 10:05 AM
We have the WL ones from when they opened in 1994. We were told they were grandfathered because they were originally marketed as unlimited use at WL. If yours are not marked length of stay then I believe the same would apply.

I would shot them an email and ask, can't hurt.

lawgirl
10-17-2012, 10:11 AM
We have the WL ones from when they opened in 1994. We were told they were grandfathered because they were originally marketed as unlimited use at WL. If yours are not marked length of stay then I believe the same would apply.

I would shot them an email and ask, can't hurt.

Good idea. Who exactly do I email? And I guess I can carry that email around with me next time if "Beverly' is still working! I think one of my biggest problems was that she was sooooo rude about it, and didn't really sound like she knew what she was talking about!

TinkerbellT421
10-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Good idea. Who exactly do I email? And I guess I can carry that email around with me next time if "Beverly' is still working! I think one of my biggest problems was that she was sooooo rude about it, and didn't really sound like she knew what she was talking about!

I have "heard" of the lifetime mugs throughout the years on the boards, and have never seen one up close, and probably would take a picture too! I would be interested in what the look like if you could shoot me a picture :mickey: I'm kinda mug obsessed! lol

I think part of the problem with miss rude "Beverly" is that she probably has not worked with Disney long enough to remember any of the time prior to the current limit use mugs. Her experience and or training was probably "these are limit use, and destroy any other kinds!" (lol being sarcastic) I agree with you that it's probably not WHAT she said but HOW she said it. Makes you feel belittled like you broke the law. That's what usually bothers me the most about things like that. I work in customer service, and its not what you say but how you say it. You get more bees with honey than you do vinegar my mom used to say. It sounds like you were told one thing, and have always been courteous enough to double check to avoid such embarrassment. I don't know anything or much about the ten year mugs, but just wanted to let you know, I completely understand how you feel with the way you were treated by Beverly, and I am glad that the concierge manager at least went out of their way to accommodate you. But it still doesn't lessen the feeling of embarrassment that I am sure you would like to avoid in the future. BUT, I can say I have SEEN MANY people "abuse" the refillable mug situation by using the mugs that are a couple years old, the one that was the design before the beach scene I saw several times throughout our trip. So I can understand why she may have flipped because I can only imagine how many people she has caught, seen or had to deal with doing that. BUT it is all in the approach!

I agree with VWL Mom, email someone to clarify, even if it is just to know that maybe it's just easier to get a new mug every year or something. I am not sure who you would email though....

lawgirl
10-17-2012, 10:50 AM
That is exactly it! We have always gone out of our way to ask if its ok to use the original Mara mugs...we don't just assume. She made me feel like I was stealing! I realize that they probably have to be on the lookout for people trying to take advantage by using other mugs, but in this case she was way off the mark! I tried to be as polite as possible to her, and left because I knew it was going nowhere. I don't think she was very happy at all when I marched back in there with the desk manager and he bought me mugs!

If anyone does have the contact info for who I need to get in touch with, I would greatly appreciate it!

I will try and figure out how to load a photo on here...or maybe I can find a google link to share.

Disney Hungarian
10-17-2012, 10:53 AM
I sent you a private message with the e-mail address.

BriarRose0708
10-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Maya Angelou said (and I paraphrase) "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

I wish more Cast Members (and those in positions of Customer Service in general) would remember this. There's no excuse for rudeness.

Having stayed primarily at Pop for all my trips, and only in the last 5 years, I've never seen or owned a Lifetime Use mug, but I do see guests filling up mugs that look NOTHING like the ones I've had over the recent years. What gets me even more annoyed is the abuse of the soda, iced tea, and coffee stations where guests use a non-resort or even non-Disney mug/water bottle to load up on beverages. I think that's taking it way too far.

Itchy
10-17-2012, 12:10 PM
I have some of the " life time mugs " from the late 80's and early 90's. I do not take them anymore since they have the length of stay rule in place.

I do not use the mugs that much since it is usually a long walk to the food court, or take it for breakfast and then need to lug it around the parks all day.

I find it less of a hassle to get a new one.

I know its a cost issue I just wish they would change the design on the mugs more often.

Hope this helps..:mickey:

DizneyRox
10-17-2012, 12:19 PM
WOW! I think this may be the first I've heard of a CM actually trying to enforce the policy. Right or wrong on the approach, this is somewhat refreshing to hear. I've seen people fill up mugs from other theme parks never mind other resorts/stays, etc.

I got the mug once. Didn't find any value in it, as it was always a hassle to get/keep it filled.

mom2morgan
10-17-2012, 10:14 PM
I'm very sure those truly are "lifetime" mugs and still valid. I agree that Beverly was probably just not aware of the policy...but what a ridiculous thing for her to make such a fuss about!

lawgirl
10-18-2012, 09:15 AM
I have some of the " life time mugs " from the late 80's and early 90's. I do not take them anymore since they have the length of stay rule in place.

I do not use the mugs that much since it is usually a long walk to the food court, or take it for breakfast and then need to lug it around the parks all day.

I find it less of a hassle to get a new one.

I know its a cost issue I just wish they would change the design on the mugs more often.

Hope this helps..:mickey:

That is a very good point! I guess my thing is that when we purchased them, I believe we were told we could always use it at the AKL. I know that since we purchased them, we have definitely been told that, several times, by management as well. And I've never tried to use it at any other resort but the AKL.

After this trip with Beverly, I know it would be alot less hassle to just buy another one and forget about it, but when something is sold or marketed to me as one thing, and when I have multiple people tell me over a 10 year period that the unofficial "policy" is one thing, I have to question when 1 person goes against everything I have ever heard! I guess it's the principle of the thing.

Also, I believe an earlier poster said that they were glad that Bev took action. While I agree with that in theory, Im not some obnoxious person with a 72 OZ cool mug from the gas station or Universal Studios. I'm a rather intelligent, quiet, well-dressed (I like to think so at least:blush:) well-behaved person that just paid thousands of dollars to stay at the hotel. She treated me like I was some ragamuffin off the street stealing coffee! When you are in Customer Service in a "deluxe" hotel you need to learn how to communicate and talk to someone who obviously did not just waltz off the street to steal drinks!

I'm a lawyer, and the whole thing really got me stirred up, so I decided to do something about it.

Lindsey310
10-18-2012, 09:23 AM
We used to do this all of the time, we have the wilderness lodge cups and the Dixie landings cups! A few times, there have been rude CM's who tried to stop us from using them.

We bought the new mugs (only bc we didn't want to ruin the other mugs....and we forgot them at home) in december 2011. I would shoot them an email to see what they say. But you may have to pull out the email to show Beverly if you do happen to cross paths with her again lol.

By the way, can you post a pic of the cup? Would love to see it :mickey:

DizneyRox
10-18-2012, 10:13 AM
Also, I believe an earlier poster said that they were glad that Bev took action. While I agree with that in theory, Im not some obnoxious person with a 72 OZ cool mug from the gas station or Universal Studios. I'm a rather intelligent, quiet, well-dressed (I like to think so at least:blush:) well-behaved person that just paid thousands of dollars to stay at the hotel. She treated me like I was some ragamuffin off the street stealing coffee! When you are in Customer Service in a "deluxe" hotel you need to learn how to communicate and talk to someone who obviously did not just waltz off the street to steal drinks!
That's why I said right or wrong in their approach. Obviously, they used the wrong approach (guilty until proven innocent), and it speaks volumes to the lack of quality CMs they are attracting lately (and/or their training programs).

The refillable mug debate usually turns into a heated debate followed by a moderator lock at some point, usually due to demeaning comments about the folks "stealing" the soda. I don't think it's ever posted that the policy that is displayed is actually enforced. The CMs don't get paid enough to deal with the entitled attitudes they will certainly be faced with, which I feel encourages others to abuse the system as well.

So, if Disney is looking to enforce the policy, kudo's to them. They should though make sure that they teach these guys how to handle doing that. Making guests feel like criminals isn't the right way, but without proper training, that's probably all they know. Most businesses these days treat all their customers like criminals.

lawgirl
10-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Making guests feel like criminals isn't the right way, but without proper training, that's probably all they know. Most businesses these days treat all their customers like criminals.

Yess!!!!! I totally agree. What a sad state of affairs! Very well stated!

lawgirl
10-18-2012, 08:57 PM
And I'm sorry, I don't mean to come across all "hoity-toity" nose-in-the-air. And I generally dislike stereotypical generalizations like the one I made earlier. But I guess I've been in customer service as well, and some people do kinda stick-out as the ones you need to be on the lookout for. I also guess my pride was a little wounded at being treated so roughly and rudely by a CM at a resort that I've spend countless of thousands of dollars at!

OMG, I can see it now. Me walking around with a faded and folded email from some head of merchandising defending my cup right of use! (Kids, this is what happens when lawyers become stay at home moms:) Everything suddenly becomes my latest and greatest pet project...)

Thank you all for the support and good points. It was just a semi-upsetting incident that I felt the need to pursue!

Patricia
10-18-2012, 09:29 PM
I still have some lifetime mugs, but I'll be the first to admit I have never taken them back. I'm always looking for a reason to buy a new one. The generic ones are perfect for my everyday coffee.. I keep the old resort specific ones under wraps. :secret:

I have a weird coffee mug obsession. :blush:

As a matter of fact, my old everyday mug needs replacing, good thing I'll be there next week!