PDA

View Full Version : Stay Away from Hertz if possible

NJGIRL
10-17-2012, 08:20 AM
I have been renting car for our vacations for the last 25 years and sometimes they can be a real pain to deal with. They change their prices day to day just like the airlines. I have used all of the major companies from one time to another and never had a problem with getting the price I was guaranteed during booking until this past August. To make a very long story short, we booked a car for 10 days out of Salt Lake City Airport with Hertz. When all was said and done we had to pay an additional $50! It was not because of extra taxes, extra hours, or anything we did wrong. They changed the rental rate on us. I tried to get it taken care of with hertz customer service when I got home, but got no where. I am currently working with my credit card company, but their help is falling short. They basically contact Hertz and tell them we are disputing and if Hertz still does nothing, it is dropped.

I won't rent from them again. Just a warning to everyone...Hertz prices are not a guarantee even when you have it in writing.

BrerGnat
10-17-2012, 08:31 AM
I have heard these types of stories about every rental car company.

Hertz does guarantee that the Rental Rate will not change. If you have the original confirmation that has your rental rate in writing, and then a copy of your final bill showing a different rate, that should suffice for your credit card company (and even Hertz themselves). They do leave it open for "additional fees or taxes", though, so as long as you're sure that was not where the extra money came from...

We have been renting from Hertz for many, many years as Gold members. We have never had one negative experience and our cost has always been what we expected. Sorry you are having to deal with this, but you should know that rental car locations are like franchises...each location operates a little bit differently (management wise). I'd just move up the chain to their corporate offices if I didn't get anywhere with the specific location. You might end up getting a resolution that way.

DizneyRox
10-17-2012, 12:55 PM
I too refuse to use Hertz. Happened twice, pretty much exactly how you describe. First time I didn't have the documentation with me to back it up, just my confirmation number. Second time, I was travelling with my parents, and they pulled the same thing on them. Now, I'll pay more to go elsewhere rather than give Hertz a dime.

I wouldn't even do a Priceline for fear of Hertz picking up the offer.

DizneyFreak2002
10-17-2012, 03:31 PM
I used Dollar last year and found them to be the best in service and price... I rented a Ford Mustang convertible for the week at a lesser rate than Hertz offered for a regular car... I also showed up late returning the car and was never charged the additional day even though I was told I would be when booking the reservation...

VWL Mom
10-17-2012, 03:45 PM
As log as you have your original confirmation, your cc company should get it cleared for you. As long as you did not change/add anything, they cannot change the rate on you. This is from the Hertz website terms and conditions:

Rates Quoted in connection with Reservations

Quoted Base Rate. When you make a reservation for a rental transaction, you will generally receive a quote for the applicable base rental rate (also known as time-and-mileage/kilometer charges) that, unless you are advised to the contrary, is exclusive of certain charges that may be assessed in connection with the rental, including but not limited to taxes, governmental surcharges, other surcharges, common facilities charges, drop charges, delivery and collection charges, expense reimbursements and recoveries and charges for optional products or services (such as allowing additional or younger individuals to operate the vehicle, fuel or fuel service, loss or collision damage waiver, theft protection, supplemental insurance products, child seats, ski racks, satellite radios and navigational aids). If you do not change any aspect of the reservation and the rental takes place in accordance with the reservation, then Hertz or the applicable Hertz licensee will honor the base rate quoted. If, before the rental takes place, you change the reservation with respect to the vehicle class, pick-up time, date or location or return time, date or location, then Hertz or the applicable Hertz licensee reserves the right to change the base rate applicable to the rental, so long as the changed rate is disclosed to you at or before the time the rental commences.

Gator
10-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Weird, they did the same thing to me. No other company has done that to me.

My rule in renting cars: If it's Hertz, it hurtz.

NJGIRL
10-17-2012, 07:10 PM
My rule in renting cars: If it's Hertz, it hurtz.

That's a good one.

Instead of replying to each comment here is a summary: Never happened to me with any other car rental company, did not change anything to the reservation, was not anything like taxes or fees it was the actual rate, yes I have the paper work saying the rate is confirmed and will not change. But it did anyway. :thedolls:

All of this doesn't matter to them. They will not budge. Now that I see they have done this to other people, I'm thinking it must be a pattern. I will never rent from them again, there are too many other companies out there with the same or better rates.

SBETigg
10-17-2012, 07:19 PM
My husband had a nightmare experience with one of them, but I don't remember which one. I think it was Budget.

He got in at midnight after traveling all day, had a pre-paid reservation, and they refused to give him a car because he has two first names, John and Sean (he was a junior and always went by Sean and that became official). He registered as one name then showed documentation with the two names to prove who he was (it's on his passport, for goodness sake, which he showed them). And they still refused to give him a car. Or a refund. As if he wasn't himself. He had to catch a cab to his hotel at 1 a.m. I wrote emails and griped about it on Twitter and FB (the power of social media) and they finally issued the refund and then sent us a voucher for a free rental that my husband refused to use due to the horrible treatment. But for everyone who has a bad experience at one of these places, there are lots of people who have good ones. So it goes.