PDA

View Full Version : Merida Makes Trip "Magical" -- Day Eight

MrPeetrie
10-16-2012, 10:02 AM
It was Friday and we only had two more days left on our vacation. To this point, everything was perfect. Today would be more of the same...perfect.

I woke up early because I wanted to arrive at the Magic Kingdom in time for the opening ceremony. None of us have ever seen that and it was something on our wish list going into this trip. I was up early, showered, dressed, took my resort mug to Sassagoula for some "Joe," came back and began waking everyone else. The kids were not cooperating.

We were running behind and I knew we'd miss it so I didn't force the issue. When we left our room, it was about 8:40. It was a picture-perfect morning. If you could send a living post card from Disney, it would be this morning. Sunny. Not one cloud. Warm. No humidity. Just glorious. It was one of the things I love about coming from Pittsburgh during dismal seasons and seeing how beautiful things can be.

We missed the opening by a few minutes, went to Main Street Bakery for breakfast, and planned out our day. We knew the park closed at 7 because of a MNSSHP, so we anticipated a light crowd. It was.

There were four attractions we hadn't yet seen so we set out to ride those first: Buzz Lightyear, Indy Car Racers, Astro Orbiters, and Dumbo.

Buzz was first. We are competitive and I came in dead last. My daughter racked up more than 600,000 points. My wife had 325,000. I had a paltry 153,000. Not good.

We hopped on the Peoplemover and "scoped out" the Indy Car Racers while riding. It didn't look too crowded so we made that our next attraction. The line moved fast and my DS and I got in one car; the girls in another. They must have gotten lost or something because we exited a full 10 minutes before they did and we got in cars at the same time! I'm serious. I thought their car broke down. They were just sight-seeing and taking their time.

Next, we all rode Carousel of Progress. It's cute to hear my DS2 sing "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow." I don't know why, but I really like that ride.

Before heading to Fantasyland, we did the Laugh Floor again. This year, Laugh Floor was the big hit. (Last year, it was Star Wars 2.) The headliner were a pair of conjoined monsters called Sam n Ella.

Ella: "I used your credit card to purchase this map. [singing] Shipping was only $79.99...Map cost $2.99."

All day long, we repeatedly sang that phrase. (Actually, the back of my head hurt at show's end from laughing so much. The muscles must have cramped.) We would see it a total of three times on this trip, but that show was the funniest.

We made our way to Fantasyland and Casey Jr. to ride Dumbo. When we got there, the stand-by was 45 minutes and we were debating whether or not to wait. Then, a nice guest saw us with our son in a stroller and asked if we were going to ride Dumbo. We told him we were deciding when he handed us four FastPasses that were valid right then.

"We dont' need them. You can use them."

Truthfully, that type of kindness and courtesy was exhibited by guests throughout our vacation. I was really impressed by the overall "niceness" of everyone!!! Cast Members. Guests. Everyone.

After Dumbo, we got in the stand-by line for Winnie the Pooh. Upon boarding, I recognized the CM working there as Skipper Kyle from the Jungle Cruise last year.

"The lions actually DO sleep there at night so I had to leave." A clear reference to the song.

In Fantasyland, we took a look at the Pinocchio House menu. They must have changed it. Nothing was appealing.

No matter. We had ADRs at Tony's Towne Square. On our way, we passed a Snow White meet & greet where a little boy was clearly enfatuated with the black-haired beauty. They were having a heart-felt embrace. When he stepped back, he had a big, red lipstick kiss on his forehead. It was precious.

Lunch was great. In fact, my wife said it was the best meal we had on property. (I don't know if I'd go that far, but it was good.)

We exited in time for the parade and since the crowd was light, we got a curb-side spot. The Emporium side was completely filled, but the candy side was mostly emptly. I wasn't sure why. Until I sat, that is. The sun was so hot and glaring that it took a while to get adjusted. (The other side was in the shade.)

We watched the Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade, but I wasn't really impressed. They've done better. And after seeing the Halloween Parade, I think most others will pale in comparison.

We cut through the hub and rode Haunted Mansion again. DS2 was no longer afraid of the ride.
"Where the ghosties? What they doing? Wanna see zombies."

We headed to Frontierland so we could ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. It had been refurbed and we wanted to see the improvements. I grabbed FastPasses for Splash Mountain while wife and daughter got in stand-by for BTMRR. When they exited, my son was asleep. Wife went shopping with him and my DD9 and I used our FastPasses and rode Splash Mountain. (I never did ride Big Thunder.) It was the first time any of us had ridden SM on this vacation and it embodies the Magic Kingom's spirt -- at least I think so -- and we hadn't ridden it yet. You're not truly in the Magic Kingdom until you've ridden it at least once.

All during the ride, I kept saying to myself, "This is a fantastic attraction."

We got drenched and wife didn't want to get wet so she didn't ride. Instead, we shopped, went to Pirates and then Jungle Cruise again.

It was nearing 7 and it was time for us to leave. It would be someone else's turn to enjoy the party so we headed back to our resort. All during our trip, my DD9 wanted to go night-swimming and order room service. We kept putting it off because it seemed we were returning so late each evening. This would be the night she gets her wish. I tubbied my son while DW and DD9 swam. Her excitement was bursting. Then, I ordered a pie from the Sassagoula Floatworks. (Not a bad pizza.) We sat around, eating pizza and making fun of Stacy's walk. But mostly, we reminisced about how great the trip had been so far. And how this was an absolute perfect day.

Tomorrow would be our last full day on property. (I'm getting sad just typing that.) Normally, for our last day, we start at the Magic Kingdom and stay until about 3:00, take the ferry to the T.T.C., then hop a monorail to Epcot to finish the trip. But tomorrow would be the first weekend of the Food & Wine Festival and I thought that was NOT a good plan. Instead, we'd do the inverse: start out at Epcot, leave around 2:00 before it gets too crowded, then finish the trip at the Magic Kingdom, which was open until 10:00. Sounds like a plan.

Brush teeth, some more Stacy, stories, squish. Another perfect day was over.

yjgirl32
10-16-2012, 10:22 AM
You are helping to make the time go by fast with reading your trip reports- plus giving me some ideas for our own. Thanks for sharing.

MrPeetrie
10-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Thank you.

faline
10-16-2012, 11:57 AM
You're right - it certainly was a perfect day!

hoop de do
10-16-2012, 01:16 PM
It is just great that you and yours are having such a great vaca. Your reports are super.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

pdrlkr
10-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

DisneyorBust
10-20-2012, 03:46 PM
I have to agree with you, what a perfect day!
Thanks for sharing it with us.

vizsla
10-23-2012, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the report.

January-2007
10-23-2012, 11:23 PM
We really like Tony's Town Square, it's one of our favorites. We've also sat on that curb in front of the candy store with that bright bright sun.