PDA

View Full Version : Fantasyland soft opening

Jared
10-12-2012, 09:42 AM
From what I understand, the new Fantasyland is having its first full soft opening today. It's earlier than previously expected but not particularly surprising -- the hard walls came down last week, suggesting that Disney was getting ready to let guests in.

Can somebody in the parks today confirm?

Melanie
10-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Great news for all those going down for ICOT15! I hope it's true.

disneymom15
10-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Wow, that would be great if it could be open for ICOT15:yeti:

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-12-2012, 10:09 AM
We missed the Pixar Place and TSMM opening by a few days a couple of years ago, and it would be great if we could see the new Fantasyland on this trip!

Melanie
10-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Yep, looks like it's open, at least for the time being. Folks are riding Little Mermaid and meeting Ariel in her Grotto. Gaston is also out doing meets. Awesome! Hope these soft openings continue. :thumbsup:

Jared
10-12-2012, 11:32 AM
The Enchanted Forest section of New Fantasyland is open today and is expected to remain open until 6. (That's subject to change, of course.)

The Little Mermaid attraction is operating, as is Gaston's Tavern and the Enchanted Tales meet-and-greet with Belle.

And I must say, from the pictures I've seen, it's all absolutely stunning.

buzznwoodysmom
10-12-2012, 11:37 AM
And I must say, from the pictures I've seen, it's all absolutely stunning.

I just saw several pictures and I agree! It's absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to see it all in person on our next trip!

Jared
10-12-2012, 12:07 PM
I am hearing conflicting reports as to whether it will stay open. A Cast Member friend said it will likely stay open for the foreseeable future. Another said it will only be open today and tomorrow. So I guess we'll see.

BriarRose0708
10-12-2012, 12:07 PM
This is extremely exciting news! I so hope they continue this during iCOT15. It will be a long time before my next trip and I would love to see at least some of it. :fingers:

AgentC
10-12-2012, 12:41 PM
I am hearing conflicting reports as to whether it will stay open. A Cast Member friend said it will likely stay open for the foreseeable future. Another said it will only be open today and tomorrow. So I guess we'll see.

I've seen both of those reports too. My kids have no school next Friday. We were going to go over to visit Pete's Silly Sideshow. Hopefully we will luck out and it will be open.

Disney4
10-12-2012, 02:06 PM
I assume that will not happen next month?

So much for another AP benefit :mad:

Glad I didn't waste any money on the overpriced "Exclusive" merchadise...

Fangorn
10-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Soft openings during ICOT-15 are unlikely. That weekend (fri-sun) has been set aside for CM previews. CMs have been able to sign-up for times since October 4 (and yes, there were severe computer issues which probably led to the Passholder sign-up being delayed).

My CM son was able to sign-up for Sunday morning and will be taking DW and I along as guests.

From the instructions on how these CM previews will work (including barcoded tickets, wristbands and photo ID for starters) it seems unlikely that they will open the previews to anyone else on those days.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Steve

Melanie
10-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Hopefully it will be open the week leading up to ICOT15. :fingers:

From all the pics I've been seeing today, it looks gorgeous and really does seem to have the look and feel of DisneySea. :cloud9: Can't wait to see it!

Christine
10-12-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm in the car headed that way!

I'll report ASAP

DizneyFreak2002
10-12-2012, 02:36 PM
I assume that will not happen next month?

So much for another AP benefit :mad:

Glad I didn't waste any money on the overpriced "Exclusive" merchadise...

Why wouldn't they still go through with the AP previews?

Remember, soft opening does not equal open... Soft opening is just still test and adjust... The area could be open for 2 hours on 1 day, 30 minutes the next, and closed for 3 days straight... They do this just to see crowd flow, test effects, gauge reactions, train CMs... Soft openings really mean very little other than official opening getting closer and closer... Really is no reason to cancel or not go through with the AP previews...

With that said, I read somewhere that Ursula's death scene is actually better in WDW and that Triton has white cloth for his hair and beard....

ANG
10-12-2012, 02:37 PM
This excites me. But our trip is 2 weeks away :envy:

disneymom15
10-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Where can the pictures be seen. Can someone post a link.

Christine
10-12-2012, 02:44 PM
When I get there I will put them on Twitter- you can access from ICOT homepage. When I get home later tonight after dinner I will embed them right into this thread

Jared
10-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Soft openings during ICOT-15 are unlikely. That weekend (fri-sun) has been set aside for CM previews. CMs have been able to sign-up for times since October 4 (and yes, there were severe computer issues which probably led to the Passholder sign-up being delayed).

My CM son was able to sign-up for Sunday morning and will be taking DW and I along as guests.

From the instructions on how these CM previews will work (including barcoded tickets, wristbands and photo ID for starters) it seems unlikely that they will open the previews to anyone else on those days.

I'm really looking forward to it.

Steve
Steve, yep, I know all about the cast previews. That doesn't mean there won't be more soft openings for part of those days. These sort of test-and-adjust openings are fickle and random. Anything's possible. They could fit some guest time around the cast time.

BriarRose0708
10-12-2012, 02:48 PM

I'll report ASAP

Drive swiftly but safely, Christine! Can't wait to see some of your tweets!

buzznwoodysmom
10-12-2012, 03:04 PM

I'll report ASAP

Yay!!! I was hoping to read that! Have fun Christine!

Christine
10-12-2012, 03:07 PM
At TTC- about to burst!!

Fangorn
10-12-2012, 03:09 PM
That doesn't mean there won't be more soft openings for part of those days. These sort of test-and-adjust openings are fickle and random. Anything's possible. They could fit some guest time around the cast time.

Jared - Absolutely true. Anythings possible. I guess my point was that since the CM previews pretty much block out the whole day, no one should get their hopes up during that timeframe.

I've hit a few soft openings in my time, and I've always concidered them a blessing. :mickey:

Steve

Quadstriker
10-12-2012, 03:29 PM
hopefully it will be open the week leading up to icot15. :fingers:

t
h
i
s

Gator
10-12-2012, 03:49 PM
I've noticed a few thumbnails on "another " website. But I can't bring myself to look at them. I really want to have that genuine surprise when I get there. It's almost seeing your wife on you wedding day. :D

Quadstriker
10-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Checking out the pics as they come up on twitter. It looks great! Really hope it's open to the public some time next week. Not even asking to go on rides, I just want to be able to walk around and look.

Melanie
10-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Checking out the pics as they come up on twitter. It looks great! Really hope it's open to the public some time next week. Not even asking to go on rides, I just want to be able to walk around and look.

Agreed! It really, really does remind me of DisneySea. I'm hoping I'll have the same dropped jaw I did the first time I entered that park. :jaw:

Less than two weeks! :joy:

Quadstriker
10-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Less than two days! :joy:

fyp ;)

Melanie
10-12-2012, 03:59 PM
fyp ;)

HA! :fresh:

goofygirl64
10-12-2012, 04:06 PM
We will be arriving next Thursday, I hope that we get a "sneak peek" while we're there!

Christine
10-12-2012, 05:19 PM
It's mind blowing!
I'll report tonight- about to have to leave for 'Ohana dinner! And it's a MNSSHP night so it'll close anyway

hcortina
10-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Hope it stays open. We are going Oct 3o th for 7 days and wqas so upset when we saw we were going to miss by a few days. this would make my girl so happy. Oh pleeeease stay open.

Melanie
10-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Open again this morning! :thumbsup:

10-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Spoke with a former co-worker that transferred to Mermaid, she said that "soft openings" should continue at random times throughout the week. ending on the 19th. On the 20th, CM preview days will begin thru Nov. 2 and some guests may be brought in at various times throughout the day depending on the amount of CM's and their guests that have reserved times and whether attraction "adjustments" have to be made.

Based on what she told me, they probably will bring in guests at various times but on a somewhat random basis and for a predetermined amount of time only (CM's only get 2 hours for the tour). Got my tour reserved for Nov. 2.

I'll be down on the 22nd and will try to post up as to what is going on unless someone does that first. Be aware that Disney can and does change operations "on a dime" depending on attraction situations, so you might get to go in and might not.

Ian
10-13-2012, 09:13 PM
I get there on the 26th ... Pleeeeease be open! :fingers:

10-13-2012, 09:31 PM
I get there on the 26th ... Pleeeeease be open! :fingers:

It's a CM preview day so it will be "open" whether to guest's or not, anyone's guess right now.

Just my personal opinion, there are one hour gaps between the CM reservation times. Whether that will allow guests in, who knows and how they actually handle the "in and out" at the attractions of the CM's attending the preview will determine whether guests will be coming in or not. My guess, guests will be coming in throughout the day but that is just my opinion.

Might get some ideas tomorrow morning when the scheduling comes out for the week beginning the 21st after seeing what some of us get (times & locations) for schedules.

Jared
10-14-2012, 08:59 AM
Cast Member previews start on Oct. 20 and will happen just about every day until early November. Originally, guests weren't going to be admitted into New Fantasyland during that time, but there is at least some reason to believe that plan has changed. The soft opening was supposed to last from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. Yesterday, the land stayed operational until midnight. Could this mean that at night, after cast previews end, the land will stay open for guests? Will they let guests in with cast? It's certainly possible.

Also, there are no scheduled previews on Saturday, Oct. 27. I know the ICOT15 schedule doesn't call for the Magic Kingdom that day, but it may be worth reconsidering if Fantasyland will actually be open that day.

HeadFairyInCharge
10-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Been a while since I've been on here. I just booked a trip for the days prior to Thanksgiving 11/19-23 and we are staying off property for the first time...I am reading that some of the construction in Fantasyland might be getting wrapped up and soft openings are happening. We were there last week of October last year and I said I would wait until they were done the Construction and Changes in Fantasyland but I might make a special trip to MK just to see whats changed.:cool:
INFO PLEASE::tink:
Anyone there or have you seen anything open new like Dumbo, Ariels Grotto or Beasts Castle yet?? My girls will be sooo excited. There are 9 and 6 and I don't know how much longer they will be into anything Disney, why they want to grow up so fast these days.:cry:

wiltsan
10-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Hi Folks - Is the "official" soft opening scheduled for 11/19 and then the grand opening for 12/6?

Might try to pull together a last minute fall trip around Thanksgiving but not if the New Fantasyland will not have a chance of being open. I understand how soft openings work (was able to preview Tink and the Fairies early - magical!) with the maybe open one day for an hour, the next for three, the next not at all - but would need to know that there is at least a chance to see/use this area of the park before booking.

Also, are there any events (CM previews etc) that would halt any soft opening days? We are in Boston so not a quick trip and want to make it worth it. Haven't had a fall trip in about 3 years - always do FlowerFest now - and anxious to get back. Thanks!

Jared
10-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Cast previews begin next week. I'm hearing more and more than there will be slots open to guests even on those days, but nothing's certain.

Christine
10-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Been a while since I've been on here. I just booked a trip for the days prior to Thanksgiving 11/19-23 and we are staying off property for the first time...I am reading that some of the construction in Fantasyland might be getting wrapped up and soft openings are happening. We were there last week of October last year and I said I would wait until they were done the Construction and Changes in Fantasyland but I might make a special trip to MK just to see whats changed.:cool:
INFO PLEASE::tink:
Anyone there or have you seen anything open new like Dumbo, Ariels Grotto or Beasts Castle yet?? My girls will be sooo excited. There are 9 and 6 and I don't know how much longer they will be into anything Disney, why they want to grow up so fast these days.:cry:

If you look at the theme park Forum, you can see my reports and pics on the new fantasyland :)

wiltsan
10-16-2012, 01:34 PM
We are looking at the week after Thanksgiving 11/26-12/1 -- to close to "grand" opening time or good chances that it will be open. My DD is 8 and Ariel has been her favorite for years -- starting to get a bit older now and moving away from the DP's :). Would love to get a chance to see TNFLand and also this info might be good ammunition for my DH :). Thanks Jared and fellow Intercotees!

chick20679
10-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Somehow, my passholder preview spot doesn't seem as 'special' when folks will have been in/riding for a month (albeit sporadically). :confused:
But, I DO have a spot on the 11th, and can't wait to check it out!! :mickey:

wiltsan
10-16-2012, 03:31 PM
I am an APH and did not receive any kind of sign up to tour the new Fantasyland. How does one go about doing this?

disneynarula
10-18-2012, 07:48 AM
We were there on tuesday night and rode Under The Sea.