PDA

View Full Version : Trying Something New

EJS-Houston
10-11-2012, 02:01 PM
I've always played the dining reservations game when going to DisneyWorld, but my brother and I are going to be there in 26 days (but who's counting?.) and we're trying something new (to us, that is). I've been somewhat frustrated with having some of the spontaneity taken out of my DisneyWorld experience by having to be in a particular park or hotel at a specific time to make my dining reservation...plus as much as I enjoy the dining at DisneyWorld, I live in a town where affordable dining in any cuisine you'd care to think is available, often with many restaurants to choose from. So dining isn't really a key part of my Disney experience. So this time we've made no reservations whatsoever. I expect we'll do mostly counter service, and if we get a hankering for a particular restaurant, maybe we'll just try to get a last-minute reservation at an off-hour. I'm just wondering if I could hear from other Intercot-ers who've done this. How'd it go? Would you do it again?

EJS-Houston
10-11-2012, 02:05 PM
I forgot to add that we're there at the tail end of the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival. I've always wanted to try some of the food stands at the Festival, but have never done so because I knew we had dinner reservations somewhere and didn't want to spoil my appetite. This time, though, no such worries. I can graze from country to country as much as I want.

SBETigg
10-11-2012, 02:34 PM
I think it's a good way to go, especially during F & W. There's so much to try and it really fills you up faster than you expect. You might not be able to get into 'Ohana or some of the more popular places, but you will probably have more than a few options at any given time.

Gator
10-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Yeah, we tried this.... 10 years ago! I wouldn't think of trying it these days. But I'll be interested to hear how you fare.

EJS-Houston
10-12-2012, 11:02 AM
I think it's a good way to go, especially during F & W. There's so much to try and it really fills you up faster than you expect. You might not be able to get into 'Ohana or some of the more popular places, but you will probably have more than a few options at any given time.

Thanks, SBETigg! These days I tend to eat a lot of small meals and healthy snacks throughout the day, so I thought this might be a better way to go...and what you've wrote really confirms that for me.

EJS-Houston
10-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Yeah, we tried this.... 10 years ago! I wouldn't think of trying it these days. But I'll be interested to hear how you fare.

Sure thing, Gator! Thanks!

ANG
10-12-2012, 11:03 AM
We did this on our honeymoon (the first time going) because we didn't believe that it would be so hard to get in. Holy cow, we were wrong. But then again, being out first time, we were disappointed we couldn't get in to some of the more themed or high end places. We have thought about doing it again, just to wing it. But with kids now, it's very reassuring to know we have a set dinner place waiting for us.

Mickey'sGirl
10-12-2012, 11:05 AM
This is how we have gone for the past two years (summertime trips). As long as you are flexible in your times, I think you will have great success! It's a great way to take the pressure off! :thumbsup:

EJS-Houston
10-12-2012, 12:19 PM
This is how we have gone for the past two years (summertime trips). As long as you are flexible in your times, I think you will have great success! It's a great way to take the pressure off! :thumbsup:

Music to my ears! Thanks, Mickey'sGirl!

arbie_c
10-12-2012, 12:34 PM
For my upcoming although very quick trip I'm doing the same thing. Like you posted I'll catch the end of the F&W frestival and want to be able to try several items there and frankly I just don't want to be tied to a specific time and place for such a short trip. Good luck. I think it will work out for you.

Laura

MNNHFLTX
10-12-2012, 12:34 PM
I think that sounds great! And when you're in the parks and getting a hankering to eat, you can always use the Mobile Magic app to see what's available near you, if you want. :mickey:

EJS-Houston
10-12-2012, 03:16 PM
I think that sounds great! And when you're in the parks and getting a hankering to eat, you can always use the Mobile Magic app to see what's available near you, if you want. :mickey:

I looked last week to see if that's available for Blackberrys, and was unsuccessful at downloading any app at all that could give me info about attraction lines and fastpass availability, Food and Wine menus, etc.... So I cut and paste the Food and Wine Menu items from Intercot into a Word document, sent it to myself as an email attachment and saved it to my Blackberry as a Word to Go document. Where there's a will, there's a way, right?. I may still ask my brother to try to add Mobile Magic to his Android, though.

faline
10-12-2012, 03:36 PM
On our last trip, we essentially went without reservations. Most days, we made same day reservations using the Disney Mobile ap and selecting from restaurants that had availability. We also were successful with some walkups such as lunch at Rose n Crown. Using mainly same day reservations, we were able to eat at Citrico's and the Yachtman's Steak House. We did make a reservation 2 days in advance to eat at Le Cellier but that reservation wasn't made until after we arrived at Disney.

Gator
10-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Sure thing, Gator! Thanks!

I'll be sure to wave to you during our layover next month! First time stopping at Houston and it's NOT Bush Int'l. Weird.

EJS-Houston
10-12-2012, 04:04 PM
On our last trip, we essentially went without reservations. Most days, we made same day reservations using the Disney Mobile ap and selecting from restaurants that had availability. We also were successful with some walkups such as lunch at Rose n Crown. Using mainly same day reservations, we were able to eat at Citrico's and the Yachtman's Steak House. We did make a reservation 2 days in advance to eat at Le Cellier but that reservation wasn't made until after we arrived at Disney.

Really good to know! Thanks, Faline!

EJS-Houston
10-12-2012, 04:34 PM
I'll be sure to wave to you during our layover next month! First time stopping at Houston and it's NOT Bush Int'l. Weird.

Ah, so you're coming through Hobby, then. It's a smaller but much more pleasant airport than IAH. If you have connecting flights, they're much easier to make at Hobby, as you won't have a 5-mile hike to your next gate. But it still has lots of good food options and shopping. Of our two airports I much prefer Hobby.

MNNHFLTX
10-12-2012, 05:20 PM
Ah, so you're coming through Hobby, then. It's a smaller but much more pleasant airport than IAH. If you have connecting flights, they're much easier to make at Hobby, as you won't have a 5-mile hike to your next gate. But it still has lots of good food options and shopping. Of our two airports I much prefer Hobby.You must live downtown or the south side of Houston, from the sound of it. I live in NW Houston and much prefer Bush airport, mainly for the proximity. Hobby can be horrendous to get to from our neck of the woods, depending on traffic. But it is a nice little airport.

EJS-Houston
10-12-2012, 05:43 PM
You must live downtown or the south side of Houston, from the sound of it. I live in NW Houston and much prefer Bush airport, mainly for the proximity. Hobby can be horrendous to get to from our neck of the woods, depending on traffic. But it is a nice little airport.

Close...I live in Montrose...so while Hobby's a little closer to me, I can get to IAH very quickly. It's a perfectly good airport; I just find Hobby to be less complex and more user-friendly. But given where you live, I can easily see how you'd much prefer IAH.

MargaretMessler
10-12-2012, 06:47 PM
I never book ADRs prior to arriving, unless it's for a dinner show. I also don't usually go during peak times and I don't mind eating at so called "off hours", so I'm sure this makes a difference. I have never had an issue getting in any place that I was interested in, but I am also not tremendously picky. My most recent trip for five years ago, mid May.

Dopey's Girl
10-12-2012, 09:40 PM
My last trip we only had 1 ADR (Le Cellier In Epcot), but ended up getting into 2 others with very short notice. 50's Prime Time within a few mins of asking (it was an 11:30 lunch) and Crystal Palace (8:30 breakfast) the night before. It's absolutely possible to get same day ADR's or walk ups as long as you aren't set on something specific!

Simba's Mom
10-14-2012, 03:24 PM
I've always played the dining reservations game when going to DisneyWorld, but my brother and I are going to be there in 26 days (but who's counting?.) and we're trying something new (to us, that is). I've been somewhat frustrated with having some of the spontaneity taken out of my DisneyWorld experience by having to be in a particular park or hotel at a specific time to make my dining reservation...plus as much as I enjoy the dining at DisneyWorld, I live in a town where affordable dining in any cuisine you'd care to think is available, often with many restaurants to choose from. So dining isn't really a key part of my Disney experience. So this time we've made no reservations whatsoever. I expect we'll do mostly counter service, and if we get a hankering for a particular restaurant, maybe we'll just try to get a last-minute reservation at an off-hour. I'm just wondering if I could hear from other Intercot-ers who've done this. How'd it go? Would you do it again?

We never make ADRs more than a few days out, but usually the night before or same day. DH doesn't like to plan that far ahead, and if we end up with QS, he's OK. Yet, we've gotten into Biergarten, Chef's de France, Rose and Crown, Sci Fi, and countless others. We've done this for several years now, and been very happy with our "non-plans".

EJS-Houston
10-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks Margaret and Meg! All very encouraging! I may never go back to advance reservations again.