PDA

View Full Version : Dining Review: Teppan Edo

Mr.K
10-08-2012, 09:24 PM
We had a late reservation of 8:40 PM for a group of 14, arrived right on time and were seated after a few minutes wait. They did split us up, into a group of 9 and a group of 5, but the tables were side by side with some us right next to each other. Nine is the standard # of people at a table, and although you could maybe squeeze in one or two more, you're not getting 14 around one grill / table.

The decor was very nice, but it did feel crowded a bit, particularly at the entrance, which it shared / overlapped with Tokyo Dining. Very similar layout to various "Benihana" like restaurants. Simple clean Japanese decor.

The wait-staff was excellent. Very enthusiastic service from waitresses and our table-chef. The serving staff was very attentive, quick to refill anything we needed. For our kids, they modified the chopsticks into "trainer" chopsticks with a rubber band. Easy to do and the kids loved eating with them.

We had planned on getting sushi before dinner, but due to splurging all afternoon at the food and wine fest, none of us were hungry for appetizers of any sort, so I cannot give any info on sushi or appetizers, other than a side salad with ginger dressing. This salad is always a must for my wife, so she ordered it. It was excellent.

The chef who cooked for us on the grill at our table was very fun and interactive, giving lots of attention to us all. She had lots of funny jokes too and overall a great presentation.

The entries we got were all very good, and included the steak, shrimp, scallops, filet mignon and combo choices. Great noodles were stir fried for us along with lots of assorted veggies and white rice. Everything tasted truly yummy.

We did notice that for the price, it is definitely "less" of a complete meal than what you would get at a Benihana's. Miso soup and salad with ginger dressing which are standard-included at most of these types of restaurants (we've been to lots of Japanese steakhouses) were not included with the entrie at Teppan Edo. Again this was not a problem for us as we were not extremely hungry due to food and wine fest snacking, but for someone hungry who has preset ideas about what a Japanese steakhouse meal looks like, they might be disappointed. Of course, they make those things and you could order them, but they were not included as the standard options for the dining plan.

That said, we loved Teppan Edo and would highly recommend it. Very fun experience and great food.

natstroop
10-08-2012, 09:43 PM
We will be eating there for the first time in December. I've never eaten at a Japanese restaurant before, so I'm not familiar with the food. Could I ask what kinds of vegies are served there?

Mr.K
10-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Mushrooms, onions, and zuchinni for sure, all cooked in front of you with the noodles.

That may have been it - I do not recall any others. I'll ask my wife and kids.

natstroop
10-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the info.

BriarRose0708
10-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Hibachi is so entertaining to begin with, that I would go in with really high expectations that the experience at WDW would be top notch. Sounds like it would live up to what I'd want, but I'd have to agree with your wife that the extra money for the salad and ginger dressing would be a must! It's unfortunate that's not included. I can live without miso soup (where I am it's a mushroom, chive and onion soup) but that dressing is :cloud9:

Gator
10-09-2012, 08:59 PM
This place is in my Top 5. The appetizer of cold edamane (soybeans) was very good, and actually turned me on to eating soy beans once I got back home. I had the scallops on the last trip, and they were fantastic! Really really good place to eat.

beksy
10-11-2012, 01:48 AM
Again thanks for the review. We usually eat here but are trying some new places this trip...makes me re-think my decision some!

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the report

SandmanGStefani24
10-11-2012, 06:48 PM
glad things are good on that side of the Japan restaurants. I always eat at Tokyo Dining and absolutely love it there. So pleased to read the goodness exists on the other side of the building hehe/

MissMaryPoppins
10-13-2012, 12:21 PM
I ate there once a few years ago and had a great time. My family had already been there and I kept hearing about how good the food and drinks were. Our chef and wait staff were very attentive and were quick to bring us refills or anything we asked for. Our chef was funny and very enthusiastic. My allergies were bad that day and my eyes were watery as I waited for my Zyrtec to kick in and she must have noticed me dabbing my eyes with a tissue because she said "oh no, don't cry." Everyone at the table laughed. I was the only one at the table who can't use chopsticks but I wanted to use them anyway and I got mine wrapped up with the rubber band and had fun using them. Our food was excellent and I tried the California roll my parents ordered and it was very fresh and tasted great. I had the scallops which I really enjoyed. My brother asked for extra vegetables with his scallops and the chef was very accommodating with that. We had a very nice experience there and I know we'll go back sometime. I'd recommend it!