PDA

View Full Version : Dining Review: Cape May Cafe (breakfast)

Mr.K
10-08-2012, 02:45 PM
One side note I wanted to share as I often have seen conflicting info here on Intercot is the WDW transportation system is specifically designed for all of their reservation-able meals. I had made a breakfast reservation for 8:45 AM and we stayed at AoA and no park had AM extra magic hours that day, but when I asked at they front desk, they assured me the busses all travel very early to / from places that you can make a reservation at. We boarded a bus @7:40 at AoA to DHS, then boated to the Beach Club with plenty of time to spare.

Our group of 12 was seated fairly promptly. The decor is very nice. Pretty beach scenes, sandcastles, folded beach umbrellas and more make a convincing mid-atlantic beach theme.

Being a buffet, the service is fairly minimal, but our waitress was very good at bringing juice, coffee, and clearing plates.

The food was excellent. Besides the standard breakfast fare (eggs, sausage gravy, mickey waffles, bacon, muffins, etc.) you get probably anywhere, they had a very nice bagel add-on section with two kinds of smoked salmon, capers, etc. and a crab meat filled fritatta that was to die for. They had some unexpected salads, a breakfast quinoa with cranberries, and an excellent assortment of fresh fruit.

The character interaction was superb, with Minnie, Donald, and Goofy all appearing at our table at different times in beach-attire. They spent a good amount of time and we did not feel rushed, nor were they straight back-to-back. We got great pics of our group with the characters.

We chose this only because our favorite, Chef Mickey's, was fully booked during our stay, but after going, I think I liked this better, although my wife and children said they missed the musical number they do at Chef Mickey's where all the characters are involved at the same time - there is nothing like that at Cape May Cafe that occurred during our long breakfast.

We loved this meal and would recommend it for sure.

SBETigg
10-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Another one I've never tried, sounds like fun. Thanks for reporting.

Gator
10-08-2012, 04:29 PM
We chose this only because our favorite, Chef Mickey's, was fully booked during our stay, but after going, I think I liked this better, although my wife and children said they missed the musical number they do at Chef Mickey's where all the characters are involved at the same time - there is nothing like that at Cape May Cafe that occurred during our long breakfast.

I was wondering how it compared to Chef Mickey's and was just about to ask when I got to this part. Sounds like it's a good replacement if you can't get CMs.

Do they have characters here at dinner as well?

beksy
10-11-2012, 02:38 AM
Thanks for sharing...we enjoyed our breakfast there as well. I loved the costumes!

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Sounds great thanks for the report

Simba's Mom
10-11-2012, 08:49 AM
I was wondering how it compared to Chef Mickey's and was just about to ask when I got to this part. Sounds like it's a good replacement if you can't get CMs.

I've eaten at both, and I preferred Cape May. Maybe that's partially because when at Chef Mickey's they put us (all adults) in a small room, off the main room, and we could only see the characters if they came right in. At Cape May the characters were always within view. Unfortunately, at Cape May, they don't have characters at dinner, only breakfast.

WDWCrazyKaren
10-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Thank you for the review and reminder about Cape May! We've been a few times, always loved it, but have kind of moved away. This is a great reminder to head on back!

mom2morgan
10-11-2012, 11:51 AM

Characters at breakfast only - dinner is a nice buffet with seafood, but no characters. I actually HAD planned to do this breakfast when I was there in September, but we realized he just had too many reservations and dropped it. Now I wish I'd kept it and dropped Whispering Canyon ;-)