PDA

View Full Version : Disney files with FCC for wearable digital passes

DizneyRox
10-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Didn't see this anywhere.

Article in digital trends dot com indicates an FCC filing by Disney for A wearable wrist band to possibly replace tickets and other things, like fast pass, etc.

From the article:

Detailed in documents filed with the FCC this week, representatives with Disney are seeking approval for a wristband that will be used for admission privileges to major theme parks like Walt Disney World in Florida and Disneyland in California. Rather than having to keep track of tickets, the “Magic Band” can be worn throughout the day and it communicates on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. The bracelet is designed to be disposable as well as waterproof for rides like Splash Mountain or Disney’s various water parks.

If you can search the FCC website, application ID: 427834

Progress...

buzznwoodysmom
10-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Great Wolf Lodge uses these. The wristband is your room key, gets you into the waterpark, and can be used to make purchases. I don't really mind the concept, except the feel of the band around my wrist really bothers me, and I don't like the idea of wearing it for a whole week.

princessgirls
10-07-2012, 10:13 PM
I agree....The Great Wolf uses these and they are itchy and annoying!!!

Julie:mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-07-2012, 11:17 PM
I love the idea, but I agree that the GWL style bracelets would be horrible for a whole week.

Still, we're improving from having to keep track of your card all trip!

buzznwoodysmom
10-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Still, we're improving from having to keep track of your card all trip!

In all of our 16 or so trips, I have never had any problems keeping track of tickets and room keys for my family of 4. We often use the military discount, therefore we each have two cards. One is the room key, the other is our ticket. I still don't have any trouble keeping track of it all.

Since I dislike wearing a bracelet, so does my youngest son, I don't count this as an improvement. I'm sure, at least in the beginning phases, you'll have the option of getting the bracelet or continuing to use the current card system. At least I hope so.

Bay Lake
10-08-2012, 08:53 AM
One thing I find interesting about this, is if the band is guest specific, then they will be able to punch your number into a computer and see where your are. This can be good and bad. The bad is big brother is always watching but the good could be that they will look and your id chip and see that you didnt go the water park or only ate at QS places. Possibly offering some creative packages to you for future visits. Just my thoughts. Overall I like the idea.

Renfairwedding
10-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Reading the FCC site and the application information they say the RF exposure is within safe limits but I not too sure I would like active transmitter strapped to my wrist for a week or more.

VWL Mom
10-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Since I dislike wearing a bracelet, so does my youngest son, I don't count this as an improvement. I'm sure, at least in the beginning phases, you'll have the option of getting the bracelet or continuing to use the current card system. At least I hope so.

I hope your right! Wearing a wristband for one night is one thing, having to keep it on continuously for a week is going to be a problem for me because of skin allergies.

My family uses the lanyard and pouch combo for our keys, tickets, fp, money, etc. If they let me fold up the wristband and put it there, I'm good.

DizneyRox
10-08-2012, 02:40 PM
There needs to be an opt out... You can opt out of the ticket tag system, I'm sure you can opt out of this... As mentioned, there's no need for an active RFID transmitter.

Gator
10-08-2012, 04:42 PM
I hope your right! Wearing a wristband for one night is one thing, having to keep it on continuously for a week is going to be a problem for me because of skin allergies.

My wife is very allergic to rubber products, but also to Nitrile as well, which is usually the replacement material.

And I'll agree with the Big Brother mentions in this thread. Don't like it. Not at all.

waymickey
10-08-2012, 04:47 PM
If it tracks where you are in the park could it possibly be used to find a missing parent, I mean a child who may have wandered away? That could be a good thing.

BrerGnat
10-08-2012, 05:33 PM
I like the idea *IF* the bracelet is removable. If it has some sort of button, clasp, or clip that allows you to take it off when you want to (i.e. for sleeping, or when you dress up to go to a nice dinner), I'm all for it.

The Big Brother concerns are somewhat ridiculous, I think. You are ON Disney's property. They already "track" you every time you swipe your KTTW card...

I like the idea of waving my wrist to pay for a Dole Whip. Who likes to dig into their wallet while their ice cream is melting. ;)

joonyer
10-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Well, forget the inconvenience of having to wear a bracelet for a week. Maybe they'll just go completely "1984" and offer the option for guests to have a chip implanted. After all, the technology is already available. :unsure: NOTE: SARCASM

DisneyDawgette
10-09-2012, 12:20 AM
I think this idea is fantastic if there is the option to remove the bracelets. I'm not a fan of things on my wrists all day, but if I could take them off at night and stuff I would be fine!

And I think the pros definitely outweigh the cons. The ability to track a child who has been lost (there was just a thread about this!) is a MAJOR perk. I honestly don't worry about the Big Brother aspect of Disney. I'm in their park, knowingly under surveillance, and swiping all sorts of keys and cards that they could track me with if they wanted to. Which I'm not concerned with anyways.

If I can take it off, don't have to dig for money/keys/tickets, and they can use it to implement some sort of child tracking system, then go for it Disney!

disneynarula
10-09-2012, 06:43 AM
I would rather just deal with pulling out my KTTW card. It hasn't really been an issue with us in the past. I don't want to wear something all day or worry about my kids taking them off and losing them.

1DisneyNut
10-09-2012, 07:40 AM
Well I hope they have a back up plan because I will refuse to wear a wrist band. I hate them. I never wear a watch because I don't like it around my wrist, making it sweaty and itchy all day.
I like the electronic ticket idea, I would just prefer it be embedded in a card I can put in my pocket rather than in a wrist band.

The big brother notions that have been mentioned really aren't worth being worried about. Disney already has software that keeps up with your motions throughout the property and can predict within reasonable certainty where you will be any given part of the day using statistical data and algorithms. You would be surprised how accurate this type of software can be. They also track when you enter their website by logging your ip address. They keep up with what information you look at, including if you are looking at specific resorts and if you look at the current promotions and specials.

DizneyRox
10-09-2012, 11:06 AM
The big brother notions that have been mentioned really aren't worth being worried about. Disney already has software that keeps up with your motions throughout the property and can predict within reasonable certainty where you will be any given part of the day using statistical data and algorithms. You would be surprised how accurate this type of software can be. They also track when you enter their website by logging your ip address. They keep up with what information you look at, including if you are looking at specific resorts and if you look at the current promotions and specials.
Then they have enough already. Knowing where (almost GPS like) I am at any point in time isn't something I care to help them with. I know they know where I am when I walk through a turnstyle, or use a fastpass, or swipe a room key. Do they really need to know that I walked through the Emporium instead of down mainstreet and stopped for three minutes in the princess room, (where coincidentally RFID 0015673, RFID 0015674 and RFIC 0015675 happened to be) before walking towards Pirates? They might like that, but I don't have to be party to it.

Butters
10-09-2012, 12:26 PM
I find this very amusing.... Put the big brother argument aside (whitch doesn't bother me in the slightest)

A couple years ago Disney got rid of wristbands for EMH and these boards lit up with comments about losing KTTW cards, and the hassle of carrying cards around the park, and pretty much end of Disney as we know it because no more wristbands....

Fast forward a couple years and now wearing wristbands is going to ruin everything... Doesn't look like Disney can win either way!

BrerGnat
10-09-2012, 01:13 PM
I am willing to wager a large sum of money that these bracelets will be available FOR PURCHASE. I bet if you are willing to plunk down some $$$ the bracelet will be an OPTION for "enhancing your park experience." Further, they will almost certainly be available exclusively to onsite resort guests.

They will most certainly not be handed out to everyone who purchases a park ticket.

Anyone care to take that bet?

1DisneyNut
10-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Then they have enough already. Knowing where (almost GPS like) I am at any point in time isn't something I care to help them with. I know they know where I am when I walk through a turnstyle, or use a fastpass, or swipe a room key. Do they really need to know that I walked through the Emporium instead of down mainstreet and stopped for three minutes in the princess room, (where coincidentally RFID 0015673, RFID 0015674 and RFIC 0015675 happened to be) before walking towards Pirates? They might like that, but I don't have to be party to it.

If they do happen to switch to these and you want to prevent them from tracking you, all you have to do is wrap the RFID device in aluminum foil or buy a RFID bag. It will block the signal. I have a couple of the bags that came with some RFID devices. I'm not all that worried about it because they already know within probably 100ft of where you are at any given time anyway, especially if you are using the mobile magic or other smart phone app.

antngoof89
10-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Big brother comments aside (just as everyone else has mentioned) I actually think this enhances the visit. Who likes having to carry around their wallets all day long and hope not to get it wet! This would be great for me. All I'd have to do is carry around my wristband wave it to get whatever I needed. Drinks, foods, park entrance, fast pass. It's essentially the same thing as a KTTW Card but more convenient.

Big Brother comments are really silly. Let's be honest. EVERYTHING YOU DO ANYWHERE AT ANYTIME CAN AND IS BEING WATCHED! If you're so worried about being watched, change your actions. I think it's just dumb to worry about people watching your actions when every place you go at any time in any town has a way of watching you. Your bank knows where you are at all time. Your credit card companies do as well. This isn't any different than anything else going on in any other place!

Quadstriker
10-10-2012, 02:04 AM
If they do happen to switch to these and you want to prevent them from tracking you, all you have to do is wrap the RFID device in aluminum foil or buy a RFID bag.

Wow, I really hope I see someone with tinfoil wrapped around their wrist so I can have a good laugh.

This whole thing is no big deal to me. I can take it or leave it. Is it really that much faster to scan a wristband rather than pull out your card while you're standing in whatever line? Much ado about nothing, imo. At least as far as the current implementation we are currently speculating about. Why so much money has been pumped into this is confusing to me, but I guess this is just the first step in some down-the-road ideas that could be imagined.

MyDisneyworld
10-10-2012, 08:58 AM
I could see them using those gel type ones that eveyone has like the live strong yellow ones. This way Disney could sell hundreds of different collectable ones that you would purchase on your own (money maker) then they just tie all your info to that. This would save disney the money for printing tickets as guests would just buy their own bands. If they went this route I know my kids would love it and want to buy a new band every trip.
I have used the great Wolf Lodge ones and they are very sharp, at least the ones at the location I stayed at. Also you can't remove them which is very annoying. I would be against that style.

PlutoToo
10-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Wonder how they would handle wristbands for annual passes?

missastrocat
10-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Has anyone considered how the bracelets will stick out like a sore thumb in family pictures? I mean, gray may not be everyone's color. Maybe they will have holes around it so super fashionable people can decorate it with disney charms.

:hide:

I actually think it's a neat idea. Wonder what the finalized product will look like. I think it would be neat if they use the information gathered on it during a vacation to help send me suggestions, promos, etc. for future trips.

Aurora
10-10-2012, 05:47 PM
I am willing to wager a large sum of money that these bracelets will be available FOR PURCHASE. I bet if you are willing to plunk down some $$$ the bracelet will be an OPTION for "enhancing your park experience." Further, they will almost certainly be available exclusively to onsite resort guests.

They will most certainly not be handed out to everyone who purchases a park ticket.

Ooooo, how much money? Unless you have some secret insider information ;), I'd be willing to bet a much smaller sum of money. Or a virtual :bar:. :D

I think people will probably have the option of holding a ticket or wearing the wristband (marketed as the ultimate all-in-one park convenience), that the wristband will be easily removable, and that many people will prefer it over a hard ticket. I doubt they would charge for them because the data they'll be able to gather is worth so much more than any fee, which would also be a small disincentive to wearing the band.

Also, I'm sure they'll have all the details worked out about annual passes, non-expiring passes, etc., just like they do now. (Maybe they'll even completely do away with non-expiring passes. Hope not! :eek:)

In any case, I would be surprised if they switched over completely to wristbands, even after they've been rolled out for awhile. I think there are too many people who wouldn't be able to wear them for various reasons.

TheVBs
10-10-2012, 06:38 PM
I don't mind a wristband as long as it's comfortable and removable. Wouldn't want to have to sleep in it! I could see how it would be more convenient and speed up lines at the turnstiles and the CS places. I'm sure they'll still have the card option. Couldn't see them charging extra for it though. Like someone else mentioned it's also more convenient and profitable for them without adding the deterrent of an additional charge to the guest.

seanyred
10-11-2012, 09:13 AM
The room keys and KTTWC already have RFID inside them so if you don't want the wristband I'm sure this will be the option. Also there are wallets that block RFID If it is of a concern to you.

DisnIse
10-11-2012, 09:24 AM
I swear, we saw this concept being filmed in Tomorrowland last December/January (I think). They had a multi-generational "family" walking around with different variations of the wristbands. The kids had bright colors, the adults were more subtle.... we couldn't get too close, but we stalked as best we could.

I'm actually surprised that it would have taken this long to come to fruition, but that HAD to be what they were filming. Interesting!

(and I have no opinion either way. I have teen/tween boys who normally would hate the bracelet concept, but they'll do just about anything if it means a trip to Disney.)

waymickey
10-11-2012, 10:01 AM
I goggled the wristbands and one site had a very clear picture of a grey wristband that is removable and had the name of the wearer on it. It looked like it would blend in and not be a problem. It also had mickey on it!:mickey:
I don't really care either way. I have never had a problem with the hard ticket or any ticket. It will kinda be a pain to grab and run to get fastpasses carrying 6 wristbands.:D

buzznwoodysmom
10-16-2012, 09:26 AM
It will kinda be a pain to grab and run to get fastpasses carrying 6 wristbands.:D

Good point. I hadn't even thought of fastpasses. We always send one person with all our tickets to grab them. Of course with all this nextgen stuff Disney is hoping everyone books their fastpasses before they even leave home it seems. :shake:

BrerGnat
10-16-2012, 10:13 AM
It costs Disney virtually NOTHING to manufacture RFID Key Cards. These bracelets are another thing entirely. They cost money to make. They are electronics, essentially, and there is a good deal more to manufacturing these. I can't see them just handing them out for free.

I just think with the HUGE amount of money that Disney is spending on the NextGen initiative, there HAS to be a catch...they have to charge for SOMETHING if they want to make their money back. I'd rather see them charge for the bracelets than for the Fast Passes themselves, honestly.

I bet that the wristbands will come with a whole new set of "special features" that will enhance things for the user. But, I still think it will come with a cost. Even something negligible, like $5.

PopPhan
10-16-2012, 06:10 PM
It costs Disney virtually NOTHING to manufacture RFID Key Cards. These bracelets are another thing entirely. They cost money to make. They are electronics, essentially, and there is a good deal more to manufacturing these. I can't see them just handing them out for free.

I just think with the HUGE amount of money that Disney is spending on the NextGen initiative, there HAS to be a catch...they have to charge for SOMETHING if they want to make their money back. I'd rather see them charge for the bracelets than for the Fast Passes themselves, honestly.

I bet that the wristbands will come with a whole new set of "special features" that will enhance things for the user. But, I still think it will come with a cost. Even something negligible, like $5.

I would think thatany costs would be rolled into either room rates or ticket costs. Since these will also double as room keys, it could go either way.

EeyoresBestFriend
10-18-2012, 10:06 PM
I would certainly be all over a sparkly version of a wrist band!! :D

All that glitters is good . . . .

stephicakes
10-19-2012, 07:31 AM
The idea doesn’t bother me as long as the bracelet can be removed as others have mentioned… for nice dinners, showering, etc. It would also come in handy when buying items to be sent back to your resort – if I could just swipe my bracelet instead of filling out the order form it would save time during the checkout process. If it already has my room number then I can just swipe & go! (That’s what Disney wants, right..?? For me to be off to spend more $!) ;)

I am sure it will be an option - not everyone can wear one.
:D
steph

TheVBs
10-19-2012, 08:18 AM
The idea doesn’t bother me as long as the bracelet can be removed as others have mentioned… for nice dinners, showering, etc. It would also come in handy when buying items to be sent back to your resort – if I could just swipe my bracelet instead of filling out the order form it would save time during the checkout process. If it already has my room number then I can just swipe & go! (That’s what Disney wants, right..?? For me to be off to spend more $!) ;)

I am sure it will be an option - not everyone can wear one.
:D
steph

That would be a great option!!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
10-19-2012, 08:10 PM
As long as those of us that have sensory issues or skin issues with wear bracelets can still use the cards - its all good. As for the Big Brother comments - hello, do you not realize that we are already living in that world. If you leave your house, you are tracked at some point in your journey.

Patricia
11-07-2012, 11:49 AM
I had heard (may have been a rumour) that the wristbands would be available for free in a variety of COLOURS but that if you wanted a custom (character) wristband it would be available at a cost to you.

Character wristbands? Collect away people!

We took this picture of the RFID reader, over our heads, the exit of the Magic Kingdom on our way out on Oct 28. The CM informed us they were testing it.

MelissaW
11-07-2012, 10:07 PM
I would certainly be all over a sparkly version of a wrist band!! :D

All that glitters is good . . . .

I'm so with you on this one!!!! I LOVE things that sparkle!!! :pixie:

I would totally be for this - it would sure make things so much easier - but then again, easy is not necessarily a good thing for me when it comes to spending money at Disney! :spend:

doodleboy
11-11-2012, 09:13 AM

I think you are on the right track with this. It could be a perk for Disney hotel guests. For those staying on property, rather than wait in those long lines for park entrance you would just whisk in like a car on the tollway with a transmitter. All this while they cut the number of gates that accept tickets, because of the reduced need, and the poor sucker who stays off property stands in an even longer line unless he wants to pay extra for the privilege. Just think of how much faster you will be able to get to the new Starbucks themed location on Main Street.

Aurora
10-25-2013, 09:29 AM
Hi again, all! I had to go back and find this thread and resurrect it. It's really interesting reading all of our opinions on this a year ago compared with what has come to pass.

Looks like there will not be a fee for the Magic Band (Natalie, you owe me a virtual :bar: ;)), but you will be able to purchase accessories such as skins and jibbitz. It also looks as if the KTTW card backup will be going away. Although Disney is still offering the no-expiration tickets at the parks, I think this will eventually go away as well. :(

I haven't seen much "Big Brother" talk about the Magic Bands recently either; much of the concern has been about FastPass+.

What a difference a year makes! :mickey:

Terra
10-25-2013, 09:54 AM
I agree, it's interesting looking back. Seeing the bands now and all you can do, I can not wait to get one. We're APs here!! I wish I could have one now. But I'm booking an official spring break vacation the last week in March for next year, so I know my boys and I will have them for at least a week! And I love being able to just tap and go when paying for things!