PDA

View Full Version : Decorating the room for the holidays

disneydeb
10-07-2012, 10:27 AM
How do yoiu decorate your room for the holiday? Anything in the window? A tree in the room? I need ideas!

buzznwoodysmom
10-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Last year we stayed at WL for Christmas and I decorated our room. I brought a full size tree, I think it was a 6 or 7 foot prelit tree. I also brought all WL themed ornaments. We do a WL themed tree in my kid's living room at home so I already had it all. I also brought a few decorations to put on top the TV stand. I got a few sheets of the Disney Christmas window clings to put on the sliding doors, and I also added a few to the mirrors in the room. I brought a Christmas scented plug in and room spray. We loaded our iphones with lots of Christmas music and took along a small speacker for the iphone. I brought a few packs of Christmas snacks and some fresh fruit and put that in Christmas bowls on the desk. We drive so there was really no limit to what I could bring. Since we were there for the actual holiday decorating our room make it feel homey.

Janmac
10-07-2012, 01:11 PM
We have gone to Dollar Store and gotten their pathetic looking little trees for a couple dollars each I think it was. After spending some time fluffing out each little branch, the trees looked much better.

I went to Hobby Lobby and got small decorations, since the trees are so little. I got a mini bead garland for each tree, and light sets with as few lights each as I could get.

We had 3 rooms for one December trip, and each room got a different color scheme. My sister's room got red and gold. I had a red garland wound and draped on the tree, and tied on many of the branch ends, little bows out of gold embroidery thread. I glued the bows and garland to keep things in place while we traveled. The trees went on the table.

Our [adult] daughters room had red and green and our room was blue and silver. I think I had somewhere between $10 and $15 in each tree.

We also made wreaths for our doors out of clothes hangers and tied strips of plastic shopping bags around the clothes hangers. We used white bags, and just dusted the tips with green spray paint - way prettier looking than it sounds.

We also brought strings of lights which we put around the mirrors in the bathroom. Our daughter made each room a little snowman family out of white knee-hi stockings. We put these near the tv set.

This was at the Yacht Club.

At the Wilderness Home, another year, we had only one tree, but put lights around the deck. We had a Mickey head made from coat hangers and the plastic bag strips, that we wound with a couple of light strings.

We had a different theme for each of the rooms in the Wilderness Home. I forget how and what we put in the bedroom - something blue, I bet, but we used white and red in the bathroom, just kinda picking stuff up during the fall. We did use some sort of scented piece in the bathroom that we made too, out of either marbles or rocks and pot pouri.

Even tho we had the tree and some other lights in the living room, we did put some Christmas decorations in the kitchen, too. Probably mostly red in the living room and green in the kitchen.

And we decorated the golf cart. :D

Highly recommend bringing an extension cord or two. Also some sort of suctions cups to help hang things. We brought simple over the door wreath hangers.

Both times we were driving down, so we put all the decorations in a big plastic storage bin.

When checking out, I had a cardboard box for each room, put each room's decorations in the box and put a note to our Mousekeeper that she could keep or donate the room's decorations, as she wanted.

We had so much fun decorating for our December trips that we decorated for Halloween on a September trip. We had a purple (instead of christmas colors) light string and a door panel instead of a wreath and a trick or treat basket on the table held our glow in the dark goodies for evening touring.

Jan

Pirate Granny
10-07-2012, 07:29 PM
On one of the "other" board we have a DVC Christmas tree exchange...so, we had a tree in our OKW resort, we did string lights on the balcony, which is against the rules :blush:

Gator
10-08-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm guessing you need to drive there to bring the really big stuff. TSA might frown on a spool of electrical wire and lights in my suitcase. Wondering what I could bring through the airport that won't get me a few nights in a security-max.

disneydeb
10-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Gator, you made me laugh so hard!:D

gardenia
10-08-2012, 06:27 PM
In your room, fine, but please no decorations on the doors and balconies!! It's against the rules at DVC and just plain rude everywhere. We had a "decorated" halloween door across from us last week at BWV and I did NOT appreciate it. Garlands, door mat, door hanging ad nauseum. Yuk. Just keep it in your room, please.

figgie
10-14-2012, 08:30 AM
We have bought a small tree and some decorations at CVS and set it up in the room. As our vacation went on, we all looked for fun free things to decorate the tree with from our daily fun and it turned into a memory tree.

When we left, we found our mousekeeper and asked if she would like it since we couldn't transport it home. She was grateful and we helped her pack it up but first, we took a picture of her with the tree. We made an ornament out of the picture when we got home. This we hang on our tree at home every year, like we have with others throughout the years, and the memory lives on each Christmas.:santa:

Christine
10-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Very nice story figgie! :) :thumbsup:

We used to get a small tabletop tree (with the battery operated lights) & use a santa Mickey antenna ball as the topper. Other than that, we just decorated with all the souvenirs we'd buy that trip!
We always flew so space was an issue

Katzateer
10-14-2012, 08:44 AM
My youngest and I were at WDW one year on Christmas day. I had a little pre-lit tree that I had gotten at an after holiday sale the year before. And some garland and little items I used to decorate the table. WDW is sooooo decorated I didn't really feel the need for too much. And we didn't spend much time in the room anyway.

But I will never forget that day - there was a blizzard back home in Ohio and my husband and older daughter could not even get out of the house for 3 days. The airport had just started letting planes land the day before we came home! And believe me, that was a rude awakening - Florida to the piles of snow from the blizzard!

Katzateer
10-14-2012, 08:46 AM
We have bought a small tree and some decorations at CVS and set it up in the room. As our vacation went on, we all looked for fun free things to decorate the tree with from our daily fun and it turned into a memory tree.

When we left, we found our mousekeeper and asked if she would like it since we couldn't transport it home. She was grateful and we helped her pack it up but first, we took a picture of her with the tree. We made an ornament out of the picture when we got home. This we hang on our tree at home every year, like we have with others throughout the years, and the memory lives on each Christmas.:santa:

:thumbsup:Nice!

Katzateer
10-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Oh, and do not forget one of those Yankee Candle car things- we had a pine/cedar one and the room smelled like a pine tree. No flames involved so you don't have to worry.

disneydeb
10-16-2012, 02:00 AM
I think we have decided on a battery powered lit garland with a flameless candle (battery again) and a Mickey or two as a window decoration to welcome us "home" from the parks.

Thank you for all your replies.

nfrustaci
10-20-2012, 08:59 AM
we were there one year and i put in my suitcase a small table top tree with the lights already on it and an extension cord. I packed all my sons stuffed small disney peeps and that is what I used to sit on the branches as ornaments. i used a towel as the tree skirt. every day when we left the room we would put the mousekeepers xmas inspired envelope under the tree. I also had a wreath in the window. all this stuff fit into our luggage. the "ornaments" went into my 3 year olds carry on so he had something to play with on the plane so it did double duty. Have a great time decorating your room !!
:tree::santa3::snowman::santa2::deer::santa: the sky is the limit !!!