PDA

View Full Version : So Long, Valentine!!!

Gator
10-05-2012, 02:01 PM
As a RedSox fan, nothing could make me happier than to post that Bobby Valentine has been FIRED! What a stinking lousy season. Our worst record in 50 years, and we got rid of some of our World Series guys. Can't believe he dumped Youk. Anybody else out there happy about this?

SBETigg
10-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Yes! Lots of happy in my area, especially closer to Massachusetts. We have some Yankees fans around here, too, which is odd for me. I lived in MA until last year.

barnaby
10-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Sox fan here in NJ. Very happy to see him gone.

faline
10-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Was not at all surprised to hear that he had been removed from this position.

Melanie
10-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Not a fan of the Red Sox. Don't dislike them, but don't like them either. I've found this situation to be so strange this year. This man is beloved in Japan. Maybe he'll go back now. ;)

VWL Mom
10-05-2012, 05:48 PM
During the first Yanks/Sox series this year one of the YES announcers said it felt like he was brought in to be the fall guy and would be gone at the end of the season. If the sportscasters knew this then chances are he did too.

TinkerbellT421
10-05-2012, 05:52 PM
As a Red Sox fan and completely embarrassed by that entire team and manager, I am more than happy to see him go. There have been a lot of murmurings I've heard and seen stories of that the current Red Sox team disliked valentine very much and that they were not interested in providing their all. If that's true, that's annoying. But that's all rumors and such that have been heard. Either way, I want Terry back!!!! :mickey:

Melanie
10-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Well to be fair, from what I understand, Terry's management style is what got the team where it was to start the season. Didn't sound like a very disciplined team at all. Now that may work for some clubs, but apparently not this one. And when they tried to throw a personality like Bobby in there to clean it up, it was disaster. I don't think this mess was all Bobby's fault.

TinkerbellT421
10-05-2012, 06:03 PM
I agree Mel, it's Red Sox nation we need SOMEONE to blame :D lol

barnaby
10-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Well to be fair, from what I understand, Terry's management style is what got the team where it was to start the season. Didn't sound like a very disciplined team at all. Now that may work for some clubs, but apparently not this one..

Since when is 2 World Series rings a sign of not working? :confused:

RedSoxFan
10-05-2012, 08:25 PM
As a DIE HARD Red Sox Fan; I am so happy that Valentine is gone. And for that matter; glad that Dice-K is done. And I'm still upset that Youk is gone. Just a bad year and I'm glad it's over. Pulling for the Orioles now!!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
10-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Well to be fair, from what I understand, Terry's management style is what got the team where it was to start the season. Didn't sound like a very disciplined team at all. Now that may work for some clubs, but apparently not this one. And when they tried to throw a personality like Bobby in there to clean it up, it was disaster. I don't think this mess was all Bobby's fault.

I agree Melanie. I think part of it was that he was set up to fail. But he also started out on the wrong foot and alienated a lot of the team right from the get go. I don't think anyone was surprised that he was let go, least of all him. I couldn't even be bothered to watch most of the year. Hopefully next year will be better!!

Quadstriker
10-06-2012, 03:04 AM
Don't care about the Sox one way or the other, but Valentine has always been a clown. Whenever he was on TV or anything the last few years his comments always had a ring of "look at me I'm so smart I should have a managing job!"

Get out of town, ya clown.

Ed
10-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Valentine pretty much sealed his fate a few days ago when he blamed the Sox's failures on everybody but himself, claiming that the coaches "undermined" him, yada yada yada.

I'll just add two things:

1. GO ORIOLES!!!

2. Moving this discussion to the Locker Room. Please remain in the dugout until the thread comes to a full stop.

Hammer
10-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Don't care about the Sox one way or the other, but Valentine has always been a clown. Whenever he was on TV or anything the last few years his comments always had a ring of "look at me I'm so smart I should have a managing job!"

Get out of town, ya clown.

Exactly! I stopped watching Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN when he joined the crew.

Valentine pretty much sealed his fate a few days ago when he blamed the Sox's failures on everybody but himself, claiming that the coaches "undermined" him, yada yada yada.

I'll just add two things:

1. GO ORIOLES!!!

2. Moving this discussion to the Locker Room. Please remain in the dugout until the thread comes to a full stop.

Thanks Ed for moving the thread!

I also say "Go Orioles" (I love your combo team avatar Ed!) as I want Jim Thome to get one last shot at a ring!

Gator
10-08-2012, 04:53 PM
As a DIE HARD Red Sox Fan; I am so happy that Valentine is gone. And for that matter; glad that Dice-K is done. And I'm still upset that Youk is gone. Just a bad year and I'm glad it's over.

I would've never pegged you for a RedSox fan :D I'm pretty burnt about the whole Youkalis deal. He was my favorite dude to watch playing. No one played harder than he did. They trade him, and the trade Gonzo, the other first baseman. Smart. Real smart.

barnaby
10-08-2012, 09:38 PM
I would've never pegged you for a RedSox fan :D I'm pretty burnt about the whole Youkalis deal. He was my favorite dude to watch playing. No one played harder than he did. They trade him, and the trade Gonzo, the other first baseman. Smart. Real smart.

Age caught up with Youk fast. He hasn't played a full season in 3 years, seems injury prone now.

Gonzalez may have been moved because of the mini players revolt mid-season where he apparently texted ownership about Valentine. Valentine's hiring was ownership's decision, Cherington didn't want him.
By moving Gonzalez you get rid of a possible clubhouse problem and free up lots of money. I always thought he was overrated anyway. I didn't mind seeing him moved. Crawford either.

I just hope the Sox don't sign/overpay Grienke or Hamilton this off-season.
I will take another down year, rather then spending for the sake of making a big splash ie. John Lackey and Carl Crawford. The Sox won their 2 rings by signing big FAs and making big trades, but being smart about it. But they also won with with their own homegrown talent and had a good overall team philosophy (OBP, defense, pitching). I want to see Cherington build his team and get a manager he wants. Not sign players and managers that ownership thinks will sell tickets.

Quadstriker
10-09-2012, 01:57 AM
I just hope the Sox don't sign/overpay Grienke or Hamilton this off-season.

My guess is the Sox end up with 2 out of 3 of Grienke, Lohse, and Hamilton.

bruin1344
10-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Red Sox fan here. Valentine was not a good fit but I dont blame him entirely for the mess. He had terrible personnel and lots of injuries. I mainly blame Theo Epstein. He made lots of atrocious free agent signings and trades since the 2004 world series. I think he was a great GM before they won the 2004 World Series (although Dan Duquette built a good share of that team) but after that, he was the worst GM in baseball. I was happy the Cubs snagged him after 2011 season and actually gave the red sox compensation.