PDA

View Full Version : Merida Makes Trip "Magical" -- Arrival Day

MrPeetrie
10-01-2012, 11:41 PM
This is my first trip report so please bear with me if I do it incorrectly. Any insight on future reports would be greatly appreciated.

Our Magical 10-Day Voyage began at 2:00 a.m. on Thursday morning. (Since I always want our first full day to be at Magic Kingdom, we chose Thursday for departure because Friday had a MNSSHP and I had an idea the crowd level would be light. It was.) We stayed at the Hyatt attached to the airport so we wouldn't miss our 6:05 a.m. flight. A bellman came and took our luggage (11 pieces) straight to the Southwest counter for us. We checked seven pieces and carried-on the other four. No extra charge. (Gotta love Southwest!) Last year, AirTran KILLED us on luggage fees.

We arrived in Orlando around 8:15 and immediately boarded a Magical Express bus. No wait whatsoever. My DD9 was about to bust with excitement. We stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter and checked in, using the online check-in line. Very little wait again. Our room was ready and we went there to freshen up.

My thoughts on Port Orleans French Quarter: It was beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. The resort was so fresh looking. Rooms were very well maintained. Contractors were replacing shudders with new ones as we were there. Another group of contractors was painting poles and benches late each night. The staff was very courteous. It definitely became our favorite moderate. (Last year, we had a completely different experience at the Caribbean Resort.)

After we changed outfits, we hopped on a bus to Animal Kingdom. (On the advice of Magical Journeys, we purchased a Tables of Wonderland card at Guest Services.) We entered AK and went straight to our ADRs at Rainforest Cafe. Timing was very good. Walking up to the Cafe from the park side, my DD2 threw two of his matchbox cars straight into the fountain. We were mortified. We told a manager so they'd know and their filters wouldn't become damaged. Later, as we were about to sit down to eat, he approached us with the "newly cleaned" cars. That was the first of many great efforts by CMs on this trip.

After lunch, we rode Kilimanjaro Safari then shopped a bit. Since we were all tired from the early start, we cut our day short and went back to the room for a "power snooze."

We woke up around 6:00 p.m. and dressed for Downtown Disney. We took the Sassagoula Steamboat Co., boat to DTD and did some more shopping. We had our dinner at Wolfgang Puck's Cafe in the Marketplace. Delicious. After getting some t-shirts and toys for the kids, we took the boat ride back to POFQ. After tubbies and tooth-brushing, we "cozied up" in bed and watched Stacy's Must-Do Disney before falling asleep. For an arrival day, it was a very enjoyable experience. (I'd like to relive that day again...and again.)

faline
10-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Terrific start!

French Quarter is a favorite of mine as well. We had read raves about this spot for years before we stayed there - wish we had done it earlier!

Sounds like you have a typical 2 year old! I'm sure that fountain has probably had its share of other objects tossed in by enthusiastic visitors!

Isn't that boat such a great way to get to and from Downtown Disney?!

MrPeetrie
10-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Terrific start!

Isn't that boat such a great way to get to and from Downtown Disney?!

It is!. It's one of our favorite modes of transportation.

Melanie
10-02-2012, 09:55 AM
You're off to a great start on your trip and your reporting! :thumbsup:

TiW is great! Hope you got good use of it. Looking forward to the rest of your reports. :mickey:

hoop de do
10-02-2012, 10:01 AM
I gotta' tell you. I can't wait for your next report. Have a "Magical Vaca" and keep em' comin'.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dopey's Girl
10-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Great first day! Can't wait to read the rest.

POFQ would be my favorite mod too, except the idea of eating in their food court scares the dickens out of me. Those masks hanging in there are just too much for me. But I love POR, mainly because of the boat to DtD. I love the Disney boats.

yjgirl32
10-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Doing a great job on your reports. Thanks for sharing.

Joannelet
10-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Great trip report! What a wonderful first day!

DisneyorBust
10-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Great first report! Glad to read that your first day went so well, excellent idea to take the time to nap a bit so that you wouldn't start out your trip exhausted. Now I'm off to read your nest report.

pdrlkr
10-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

January-2007
10-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks for reporting! That was very nice of them to get the toy cars from the fountain for you! I can see my DS doing that!

KylesMom
10-03-2012, 10:17 AM
You know, any trip that starts off this smoothly is bound to be a wonderful one. Great details, great day! :mickey:

DisneyDadfromPittsburgh
10-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Sounds like your having a great time. I agree with you on " gotta love SWA" , that is the only airline we fly to Disney from Pittsburgh. Have fun!

MrPeetrie
10-04-2012, 08:58 AM
DisneyDadfromPittsburgh, we're from Pittsburgh, too. First flight on Southwest and we LOVED it.

Also, gotta love Greater Pittsburgh International Airport. We stayed at the Hyatt attached to the airport with a window view so my DS2 could watch the planes take off.

DisneyDadfromPittsburgh
10-04-2012, 12:34 PM
We are from Bethel Park. That was probably so cool for your son to see. Alot of people don't enjoy flying SWA because of the seating but we fly it every where we can. I am currently planning my next trip to Disney taking my 15 year old daughter in January for a father/daughter weekend. Wife is still not sure if she will be coming. Booked on SWA already - $106.00 each way. Pretty good rate.

MrPeetrie
10-04-2012, 12:59 PM
That is phenomenal rate. Wow!

It was our first time with Southwest. We were nervous about not having assigned seats, but I paid for early Check-in, Checked-in a day early online from home and printed boarding passes. Used phone app at WDW to check in early and had boarding passes hanging on my hotel door handle the following morning.

We were Group A on both flights and DD9 got to pick our seats each way. We checked seven bags on four tickets and never paid extra. I will definitely fly them again.

EpcotChic23
10-04-2012, 01:10 PM
What a great first day. I wish all arrival days went that smooth. Can't wait to read more!

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Wonderful first day! Anytime your toys go "swimming" before you do is a perfect start :blush:

Curious, how big and what ages was your group?

MrPeetrie
10-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Wonderful first day! Anytime your toys go "swimming" before you do is a perfect start :blush:

Curious, how big and what ages was your group?

I am 52
DW = 39
DD = 9
DS = 2

emerzmom
10-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Can't wait to read more about your trip!
:tink:
Julie