PDA

View Full Version : "Disney" food items that you are surprised people actually spend money on?

BrerGnat
10-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Another thread got me to thinking about this.

Are there any Disney food items for sale at WDW that you wonder why people buy on vacation?

For example, every time I see or hear of people spending close to $4 on a rice krispie treat, I can't imagine it. I mean, you can make an entire batch of these at home in about 5 minutes for under $5. I don't get it. Don't even get me started on the giant Mickey head treat that costs like $40. Seriously? Just because it's shaped like Mickey's head??? :confused:

Also, all the bagged candy/snacks that is just generic candy but in a "Goofy's Candy Co" or "Chip and Dale's Snack Co." bag, for, like $7 a bag.

Makes me shake my head.

What food items do you NEVER buy at WDW just on principle?

natstroop
10-01-2012, 09:32 AM
We don't ever buy those generic bagged candies either. Why would I buy it there when I can get it at home for less than half the cost? I always tell the kids that they have to get something unique...something they don't get everyday. That's my policy with toys too. We don't go over a thousand miles just to get a generic squirt gun or fan. It has to be "Disney" unique.

Disney Goof
10-01-2012, 10:18 AM
The Turkey Legs!!! No matter how many times we see people eating them, we always laugh.

SBETigg
10-01-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm actually not a fan of the rice krispies treats either. I make better rice krispies treats at home if the inclination strikes. The mickey head shape doesn't really sell me on it. I would rather indulge in lots of other things at WDW.

This is probably going to seem like sacrilege, but I don't really understand the appeal of the Mickey ice cream bars. Yes, they're shaped like Mickey, but they're otherwise ordinary chocolate covered ice cream bars and I don't really have to have one when I'm in WDW. In fact, I've only had one. Ever.

Dopey's Girl
10-01-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm with you on the rice krispy treats. I have a Mickey cookie cutter, I make them at home and they taste way better. I also don't get any of the pre packaged treats from goofy's. It costs twice what it should, and it's such poor quality. I'm convinced that the 'chocolate' is just brown candle wax.

Turkey legs too...they are the nastiest things ever! :sick:

TinkerbellT421
10-01-2012, 11:30 AM
The turkey legs! And to see people eating them it just looks uncomfortable to eat nevermind WHILE walking around :confused: I personally think they smell disgusting lol. But It just looks for messy and disturbingly uncomfortable to eat in the parks lol.

TheDuckRocks
10-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Turkey legs! Was just thinking about this the other day when I saw that they are now almost 10 bucks. Are you serious!!! Disgusting.:ack:

joonyer
10-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Here's another vote for the turkey legs. Let's face it, nobody really wants to eat those when they cook turkey for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, so I have no idea why you'd want to buy one to eat while walking around in a theme park. They are just not that good.

Butters
10-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Another vote for the candy!

DizneyRox
10-01-2012, 12:25 PM
The Turkey Legs are actually quite good, but if they really are almost $10 now, the value is gone. Used to be a decent "snack" to fill up between an early breakfast and dinner.

I don't/won't get the candy. Although I'm positive the reason is due to the profit margin on that stuff. Won't happen on my watch.

Another item is popcorn? Really? At a theme park? Must be the profit margin thing again. I hardly eat popcorn, never mind at a theme park.

Dulcee
10-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Another item is popcorn? Really? At a theme park? Must be the profit margin thing again. I hardly eat popcorn, never mind at a theme park.

I love popcorn. I always get it at Magic Kingdom at some point. Can't help myself, I'm a sucker for the smell.

arbie_c
10-01-2012, 12:30 PM
I have to agree on the turkey legs. Ick!! However I must admit the Mickey ice cream bars are a favorite of mine & I have one every trip. :mickey:

#1donaldfan
10-01-2012, 12:35 PM
To each his own, and Disney has that down to a science......there are so many visitors from other countries with money to throw away....Disney will take any currency for their eats.

While being at Disney, and talking about the candy, pretzels, popcorn and soda being overpriced, please, please, please take a look at what you are all saying !! EVERYTHING there is overpriced, yet we are ALL willing to forego this incredible price gouging to what?? To vactation, to be at the "happiest place on earth".....

Everything from the rooms, to the tickets down, to the peanuts are overpriced, but it's rather hypocrytical to laugh at someone eating a $ 10 turkey leg, which they may thouroughly enjoy, when you pay upwards of 30 % more on a bed and a shower.

It's all relative and simple economics for Disney....if you don't buy it someone will......I LOVE DISNEY AND THEIR OVERPRICED SNACKS.....yet at home, heck no, no way would I pay those prices......anyway...I will jump down from my soapbox !! :cool:

buzznwoodysmom
10-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Oh wow, I must be the fool you all speak of. LOL.

I don't always get a rice crispy treat, but I do get them from time to time and I actually really enjoy them!

Youngest DS can't seem to go a day without a Mickey ice cream bar when we are in WDW.

And while I've always thought the turkey legs looked caveman like, when my son asked to get one a few trips back we ordered one. We got it in Epcot and sat at the tables outside in the American Pavillion. It actually tasted quite good, but was a mess to eat.

The only think I can think of off the top of my head is the already mentioned bags of generic candy slapped in a Goofy's Candy bag. Those have never been of any interest to my family.

NJGIRL
10-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Natile I'm with you. Those over priced rice krispy treats have me shaking my head too! But when you think about it everything is over priced. An apple dipped in chocolate for $10, that's crazy, but I get one every trip. :blush:

BrerGnat
10-01-2012, 12:46 PM
To each his own, and Disney has that down to a science......there are so many visitors from other countries with money to throw away....Disney will take any currency for their eats.

While being at Disney, and talking about the candy, pretzels, popcorn and soda being overpriced, please, please, please take a look at what you are all saying !! EVERYTHING there is overpriced, yet we are ALL willing to forego this incredible price gouging to what?? To vactation, to be at the "happiest place on earth".....

Everything from the rooms, to the tickets down, to the peanuts are overpriced, but it's rather hypocrytical to laugh at someone eating a $ 10 turkey leg, which they may thouroughly enjoy, when you pay upwards of 30 % more on a bed and a shower.

It's all relative and simple economics for Disney....if you don't buy it someone will......I LOVE DISNEY AND THEIR OVERPRICED SNACKS.....yet at home, heck no, no way would I pay those prices......anyway...I will jump down from my soapbox !! :cool:

Wow. Settle down.

This thread is meant tongue in cheek, mostly. I am not criticizing anyone's choices and I thoroughly understand Disney's "price gouging."

I am just mildly amused and often flat out confused about some of the snack/treat foods offered at WDW and wonder what people are thinking when they pay upwards of 500% of the cost of something they can get at home VERY easily.

This is meant to be fun. It's not an attack on anyone. Just wondering out loud, mostly.

SBETigg
10-01-2012, 12:55 PM
In my comment, I wasn't talking about not liking something due to pricing. Price is all relative at Disney. I know price was mentioned by the OP, but to me the question was more about what snack everyone else seems to love that we don't understand the appeal of in comparison. I certainly don't think anyone else is a fool for liking what I don't, and I hate to see a good topic sidetracked by price arguments. What's worth it to some isn't for others, obviously. There's something for everyone, yay. But that doesn't mean we can't talk about our personal preferences.

elmjimmlm
10-01-2012, 01:10 PM
I think that the powder candy tubes are insane...I can't believe the prices for a tube of candy (that always gets clogged and has to be thrown away)...I know my kids like them and I have bought them in the past but if I can talk them out of it in exchange for something else then I'm happy!:mickey:

bruin1344
10-01-2012, 01:16 PM
The Turkey Legs!!! No matter how many times we see people eating them, we always laugh.

I agree. Too expensive and greasy.

BrerGnat
10-01-2012, 01:20 PM
An apple dipped in chocolate for $10, that's crazy, but I get one every trip. :blush:

Ok, but see, I understand this.

Those elaborate caramel/chocolate/decorated dipped apples at the Disney parks are NOT something you can easily get/make at home. I have watched these being made at the candy store in DtD (in Disneyland) and it is an elaborate, multi step process. Honestly, seeing how much time and effort goes into these makes their price completely justifiable to me. And, this is the kind of snack that is something unique to WDW (at least, the character apples).

faberj
10-01-2012, 01:35 PM
I happen to like the Mickey Mouse rice crispy treats! :mickey:
Especially the ones you can make at Goofys Candy Company.
I mostly use snack credits to get them but I do end up buying some at the end of our trip to take home. They freeze well and when I am feeling blue that I have a while before we go back to WDW I pull one out of the freezer and eat it! :mickey:

I realize they are over priced and that I can make them at home, but when you only go to WDW once every 4 years you tend to splurge on things you wouldn't normally do.

Itchy
10-01-2012, 01:36 PM
OMG! I can't believe that folks buy those Dole Whips.. Oh! WOW...

Just kidding stop and think about the cost of a bottle of water, soda, or even a can of beer.

If they would hold a gun on me I would feel better...:blush:

taleasoldastime
10-01-2012, 02:14 PM
I think that the powder candy tubes are insane...I can't believe the prices for a tube of candy (that always gets clogged and has to be thrown away)...I know my kids like them and I have bought them in the past but if I can talk them out of it in exchange for something else then I'm happy!:mickey:

I agree. This has my vote. Ive never understood the draw to this. I imagine an adult would just get a headache from it and kids would just become insanely hyper from some over priced colored sugar.

TheVBs
10-01-2012, 03:13 PM
LOL! Never underestimate the power of something Mickey shaped. :mickey:

I don't like the taste of the rice crispy treats either, but I somehow get strangely excited at the sight of them. The girls love them. None of us have ever been tempted to try a turkey leg. DH, DD8 and I always have to have a Mickey ice cream bar or two on our trip. DD12 usually goes for a popsicle.

faberj
10-01-2012, 03:24 PM
LOL! Never underestimate the power of something Mickey shaped. :mickey:

I don't like the taste of the rice crispy treats either, but I somehow get strangely excited at the sight of them. The girls love them. None of us have ever been tempted to try a turkey leg. DH, DD8 and I always have to have a Mickey ice cream bar or two on our trip. DD12 usually goes for a popsicle.

LOL!!!! Anything Mickey Shaped gets attention!
I am going to be looking for the Mickey Shaped Soft Pretzel on my next trip!

I am sad to say I have never tried a Mickey ice cream bar.

I am sure my DS will also want one of those over priced double Mickey balloon too!

darthmacho
10-01-2012, 03:54 PM
After having been disappointed by it, I'd like to say Schoolbread, but I can still see the appeal.

One thing that I can't imagine buying is that "Pucker Powder". It's just weird to me that that stuff makes enough money to bother selling it. I'm sure they make it cheap, but I can't imagine too many people buying it. Go figure. :sick:

Pally
10-01-2012, 04:26 PM
After having been disappointed by it, I'd like to say Schoolbread, but I can still see the appeal.

One thing that I can't imagine buying is that "Pucker Powder". It's just weird to me that that stuff makes enough money to bother selling it. I'm sure they make it cheap, but I can't imagine too many people buying it. Go figure. :sick:

I won't be trying the schoolbread after Melanie's description. Still can't get that vision out of my head. Even the mention of schoolbread now makes me ill:ack::sick:

Now, pucker powder, I love than stuff. Loved it as a kid and still do. I actually bought one this summer that was 4 feet long. I know shameful at my age. Just made it look like it belonged to the kids. Sneaking some when people we not looking.:blush:

I would have a really hard time buying popcorn and water.

Gator
10-01-2012, 04:40 PM
How about a buffet? A lot of those buffets cost over $30, and some are close to $40. Back home, it costs maybe $12 bucks to eat at HomeTown or Sizzler or Golden Corral. But at Disney, 3 times more?!?!

Being on the free DDP helps me pull the trigger on these.

dobby2010
10-01-2012, 04:50 PM
I'll agree with both the turkey legs and the ice cream bars. Don't see the appeal taste wise but can at least see getting the ice cream bars to cool down in the Florida heat. Turkey legs in the 90 degree weather I will never understand...

mom2morgan
10-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Well, I made a dumb mistake one day - forgot to grab desserts for lunch, so by the till they have pre-packaged Minnie Mouse choc.chip cookies - I grabbed two of those and two candy bars. The bars are a dumb value decision since they aren't "worth" much and I can get them at home...and I don't know WHY I grabbed pre-packaged (not very good cookies) when I was 10 feet away from some really nice fresh baked treats!

SBETigg
10-01-2012, 05:17 PM
How about a buffet? A lot of those buffets cost over $30, and some are close to $40. Back home, it costs maybe $12 bucks to eat at HomeTown or Sizzler or Golden Corral. But at Disney, 3 times more?!?!

Being on the free DDP helps me pull the trigger on these.

I'm not a fan of buffets in general, but Disney's tend to be far better than the awful buffet chain places you mention, with the exception of a few, like Hollywood and Vine perhaps. A brunch buffet at a nice restaurant in my town goes for close to Disney prices. Not all buffets are created equal. Considering I haven't been to many at Disney lately, or the Golden Corral type places, it's hard for me to compare accurately-- but I want to think Disney's are better than that.

jnfr2424
10-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Here's another vote for the turkey legs. Let's face it, nobody really wants to eat those when they cook turkey for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, so I have no idea why you'd want to buy one to eat while walking around in a theme park. They are just not that good.

I have to admit one Thanksgiving in the World that was the closest thing we wanted that was associated with Thanksgiving!!

DisneyDawgette
10-01-2012, 06:13 PM

Aw, I was so excited about getting to try schoolbread this trip! What was disappointing about it? :(

And yes... flavored sugar in a tube. As a kid, these were the coolest thing ever, but now I see why my parents always rolled their eyes when I asked for them. Now I don't quite see the point!

And the power of the :mickey: shape should never be underestimated! Our trip is in 9 days and I have been bombarding DBF with pictures of "hidden mickeys" that I've seen around my home. Heh, that shape just gets you sometimes... :blush:

Mary Chase
10-01-2012, 07:07 PM
I'd say the only thing that appeals to my kids that I don't let them get is those big suckers that usually get thrown away when they get tired of them. I don't remember if I've seen cotton candy there - but that's another one. I just can't see my kids even liking it (I am pretty sure they have tried it).

Gotta let them get the Mickey ice cream bars and ice cream sandwiches. While they are expensive, we ARE at Disney and I try to let everyone in our family splurge a little bit! After all, Disney in itself is a splurge!

No one in my family has ever even asked for a turkey leg. Not sure I'd let them get it if they did - maybe for a meal if they really wanted it!

faline
10-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Not to disparage any choices - I'm sure I make choices while on vacation that others would certainly shake their heads over but...

Turkey legs are the first thing that come to mind for me.
Maine lobster (I'm from New England and just could not see myself ordering a Maine lobster in Florida at the prices charged there)

As far as the Mickey head bars...I don't buy them because they are Mickey heads - I buy them because they are chocolate covered ice cream - a treat I grew up loving and which I have not purchased at home for years. They are truly a vacation treat (indulgence) for me.

Perhaps the items I listed above fall into the same category for others?

I barely notice some of the other items folks have mentioned in this thread - typically just pass them by without thinking about them one way or the other.

magicofdisney
10-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Water.

I know many will say it has an odd flavor, but I guess I lucked out growing up in FL. Every time I order a cup of ice water from a CS restaurant, I think about how much I'm NOT spending on bottled water.

I'm a sucker for the rice crispy treats. I didn't have one till recently and LOVE the flavor. And now they have a bag of 8 ball shaped treats. Mmmm, good! :thumbsup:

Another thing I used to buy but won't anymore is the cotton candy. It's so readily available and cheaper, locally, so I can't bring myself to do it.

I probably shouldn't waste money on the caramel popcorn in the bags. However, I just can't help myself. :)

EeyoresBestFriend
10-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Just a personal observation, but I don't remember some of the above mentioned things costing so much before the 'popularity' of the dining plan. I think these things have been hiked to remove them from the snack category, and making them weirdly outrageous in price.

Just my thoughts though . . . .

And turkey legs scare me ~ no turkey I have ever seen has legs that big!! How BIG are the birds? :eek:

ElenitaB
10-01-2012, 10:47 PM
I have to admit one Thanksgiving in the World that was the closest thing we wanted that was associated with Thanksgiving!!
That was us one year too... and it garnered me a huge health scare! According to my doc, whatever they do to smoke them causes a huge hit against your liver. Who knew? I won't be buying them again (though we do love our oven-roasted turkey legs here at home).

darthmacho
10-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Aw, I was so excited about getting to try schoolbread this trip! What was disappointing about it? :(

I love coconut and the creme filling, but the "bread" was a rather dry soda bread, making even a scone seem moist by comparison. I just happen to prefer moist, cake-y pastries. You may wish to give it a chance to judge for yourself. :mickey:

Altair
10-02-2012, 06:10 AM
And turkey legs scare me ~ no turkey I have ever seen has legs that big!! How BIG are the birds? :eek:

Urban legend has it they are really Emu.:secret:

BrerGnat
10-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Just a personal observation, but I don't remember some of the above mentioned things costing so much before the 'popularity' of the dining plan. I think these things have been hiked to remove them from the snack category, and making them weirdly outrageous in price.

Just my thoughts though . . . .

A lot of things (like the $4 rice krispy treats) are STILL snacks on the DDP. I agree that the stuff is artificially inflated in price, but maybe that's to make the DDP seem like such a good deal, who knows.

And, we buy the Mickey Ice Cream bars because, yeah, we don't buy that kind of stuff at home. AND, we couldn't even if we wanted to. They are not for sale outside of the Disney realm, so it's a justifiable purchase to us! You can certainly buy other brands, but they are not the same.

natstroop
10-02-2012, 09:27 AM
And, we buy the Mickey Ice Cream bars because, yeah, we don't buy that kind of stuff at home. AND, we couldn't even if we wanted to. They are not for sale outside of the Disney realm, so it's a justifiable purchase to us! You can certainly buy other brands, but they are not the same.

Have you ever tried the Dilly Bar at Dairy Queen? My DH says it's by far better than the Mickey Bar. I couldn't tell you though...I've never tried either of them.

Disney Doll
10-02-2012, 09:35 AM
The idea of overpriced snacks at Disney never occurred to me I guess because it's what I expect.

In high school I worked at a candy store in the mall. If I had a nickle for every time someone commented on the price of M&M's as compared to the giant bag they could pick up at Wal-Mart I'd be a wealthy woman. Of course it's more expensive, it's the mall.

Now I will say the individual shrink wrapped sugar cookies that are decorated like various characters are something I won't buy again because they are dry and tasteless.

Dopey's Girl
10-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Have you ever tried the Dilly Bar at Dairy Queen? My DH says it's by far better than the Mickey Bar. I couldn't tell you though...I've never tried either of them.

Mickey Bars are way better. It's actually chocolate. Dilly Bars are brown, chocolate flavored wax.

disneynarula
10-02-2012, 02:26 PM
I have to say that as a kid I loved those plastic boxes of candy from the stores at Disney. Do you remember those? I think the last one I had was probably about 25 years ago. Some of them were just cube shaped and had a picture of the parks on them and some of them were shaped like character's heads. It was the same candy I could get at home for less than half the price but for some reason I just had to have it at WDW. So... if my kids want to get it with their snack credits I just let them although I am not a big fan.

There isn't anything that really surprises me. I have my favorites (school bread, chocolate chip cookie from the Main Street Bakery). As long as I can still get those I am happy.

jnfr2424
10-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Urban legend has it they are really Emu.:secret:

That makes sense on why they are so pink inside!!! There is no amount of cooking roasting or smoking that can get a Turkey leg so pink!!

mechanic
10-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Love the turkey legs. Always get them at local Renaissance festival too. I enjoy reading the thread, but food is such a personal choice, I hesitate to comment on anyones choices. Especially since so many are hating my Turkey.
But seriously, on vacation, I'm all about splurging and having what I want.

BrerGnat
10-02-2012, 06:56 PM
That makes sense on why they are so pink inside!!! There is no amount of cooking roasting or smoking that can get a Turkey leg so pink!!

No, it's very easy to turn turkey pink. Witness: turkey "bacon".

All you have to do is pump it full of artificial flavors, salt, nitrates, and smoke the heck out of it. Ham doesn't start off pink either...

TinkerbellT421
10-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Faline gave me a reminder....so had to comment again, sorry:blush: being from New England DBF and I always see people getting the buckets of "clams" at cape may all the time and we are always like "why?!?!?" but being from New England, being able to buy freshly caught seafood right off the boat for a quarter of the price in any restaurant, Floridas seafood is awful :sick:. And the "clams" they have at Cape May are considered illegal here in New England. So, we never understand why people love them so much lol.

joonyer
10-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Faline gave me a reminder....so had to comment again, sorry:blush: being from New England DBF and I always see people getting the buckets of "clams" at cape may all the time and we are always like "why?!?!?" but being from New England, being able to buy freshly caught seafood right off the boat for a quarter of the price in any restaurant, Floridas seafood is awful :sick:. And the "clams" they have at Cape May are considered illegal here in New England. So, we never understand why people love them so much lol.

Seafood in Florida that is marketed as "New England" seafood may be "awful", but fresh Florida seafood from Florida is just as delicious as fresh local seafood from anywhere else in the world. It all depends on the restaurant and how fresh it really is, and how well it is prepared. I'm sure I could find some "awful" gulf shrimp or oysters in Boston if I tried, but why would I?

TinkerbellT421
10-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Seafood in Florida that is marketed as "New England" seafood may be "awful", but fresh Florida seafood from Florida is just as delicious as fresh local seafood from anywhere else in the world. It all depends on the restaurant and how fresh it really is, and how well it is prepared. I'm sure I could find some "awful" gulf shrimp or oysters in Boston if I tried, but why would I?

Don't want to get off topic so I will just say, I guess it's all perspective ;) Ive had fresh Florida seafood, it just is not good lol. But it's all opinion and what your used to. Just was going with the topic of what someone might not understand because of different tastes.

Pally
10-02-2012, 09:54 PM
No, it's very easy to turn turkey pink. Witness: turkey "bacon".

All you have to do is pump it full of artificial flavors, salt, nitrates, and smoke the heck out of it. Ham doesn't start off pink either...

My family had a couple from Typhoon Lagoon a few years ago. I thought Turkey Legs were actually "Ham". Looked like it to me and tasted like it to me. Must be all the additives. We thought they were pretty good although they are greasy. But if they are now $10 thats a little steep. Does anybody know for sure if it is really ham or not. I could have sworn it was.

BrerGnat
10-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Does anybody know for sure if it is really ham or not. I could have sworn it was.

They are definitely turkey legs. You can't get ham on a bone like that. Ham is the back leg of a pig. You would never get such a small, single serving "ham" on a bone the size of the turkey legs at WDW. They taste like ham because they are cured and smoked like ham. Ham, smoked (cured) turkey, bacon, and hot dogs all sort of taste the same due to a similar process of curing and smoking. Sodium Nitrate is responsible for the pink color and the combination of smoke, salt, sugar, and spices are what imparts the flavor.

Pally
10-03-2012, 08:41 AM
They are definitely turkey legs. You can't get ham on a bone like that. Ham is the back leg of a pig. You would never get such a small, single serving "ham" on a bone the size of the turkey legs at WDW. They taste like ham because they are cured and smoked like ham. Ham, smoked (cured) turkey, bacon, and hot dogs all sort of taste the same due to a similar process of curing and smoking. Sodium Nitrate is responsible for the pink color and the combination of smoke, salt, sugar, and spices are what imparts the flavor.

Your description makes complete sense now. I can't believe these things don't kill us with all the stuff they do to this piece of meat!

jmj18
10-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Another vote for the turkey legs...BUT...not for price rather the taste. I just don't like them.

I'll pretty much pay anything if I like something...

:mickey:

azcavalier
10-03-2012, 10:14 AM
This is probably going to seem like sacrilege, but I don't really understand the appeal of the Mickey ice cream bars. Yes, they're shaped like Mickey, but they're otherwise ordinary chocolate covered ice cream bars and I don't really have to have one when I'm in WDW. In fact, I've only had one. Ever.

I love those things. The chocolate is real chocolate, not waxy, and it's *thick*. I like Klondike bars, and the Mickey Ice Cream Bars coating is thicker than those. It's awesome. I eat one a day. Then it takes six hours of walking around Epcot to work off the calories.

TheDuckRocks
10-03-2012, 10:54 AM
But if they are now $10 thats a little steep.

I miss quoted I thought I'd read $9.95. Just double checked and at Toluca Lakes Turkey Company in the Studios as of Sept. they are $9.19. Sorry, still not worth it in my book.

Melanie
10-03-2012, 12:27 PM
My family is so guilty of buying so many of the things listed here. :D They are just 'part' of Disney to us! My boys have loved the sugar tubes through the years (I would often bring them home to them when I went on solo trips) and we buy the Goofy's Candy Company stuff quite often (specifically the Sour Character Gummies. :tasty: And while I don't typically buy popcorn here in the States, flavored popcorn in Tokyo is quite the treat and we bought it often. Love Mickey Ice Cream bars and caramel apples too!

So, as I'm guilty as for buying all those typical overpriced items, I won't say a thing about anyone else's choices. ;)

Disney Goof
10-03-2012, 12:59 PM
The turkey legs look like they are meat that is shaped like a turkey leg not really an actual turkey leg. The bone also looks fake or plastic like.

Anyone else think this way?

:mickey:

ANG
10-03-2012, 02:48 PM
I love the Krispies :) the ones with the choc. dipped ears and sprinkles. It's the shape and knowing that you a WDW eating it that make it so exciting.

I don't understand the bottle drinks either. Or the rootbeer/coke floats. It's so incredibly cheap to make at home.

MNNHFLTX
10-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Thought I'd post a comment before reading the other responses. My answer would have to be turkey legs. Clearly many people like them, but I just can't picture myself walking around the parks eating a turkey leg. I think I would feel like a grease pit afterwards.

MNNHFLTX
10-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Well, I just read the other comments. Good to know I wasn't the only one who brought up the turkey legs. ;)

missastrocat
10-04-2012, 01:45 PM
I've only had one turkey leg and I wouldn't do it again, but we got some funny pictures using it as a prop.

I also love the rice krispy treats. I always spend my leftover snack points on those because I can take them home with me.

What I don't get are those giant rainbow lollipops (don't know if they still sell them). I used to beg for one as a child, and now that I'm an adult, I totally don't get it. It's just the shrinkwrap with some sort of WDW/mickey mouse image that I wanted. I don't even like the taste of lollipops.:mickey:

I know with my DH, he will be suckered into every silly food/candy item possible, so I'm trying to train myself not to roll my eyes before we get there. I'll probably be able to give you a longer list of items i'm surprised people spend money on when I return. :rolleyes: