PDA

View Full Version : Must Eats

VeggieFruitFruit
09-30-2012, 01:52 AM
"I don't like the food at Disney" this was the response I got from my girlfriend's mom when she told her I liked to eat at the parks. My thoughts are that she must be eating in the wrong places, if you base your entire opinion of Disney dining on Casey's Corner and the Electric Umbrella I can see having those thoughts. While in the planning stages of my next trip, the first with my son, I have been searching blogs and boards for new experiences to have, especially when it comes to filling my belly. How has Tonga Toast and School Bread evaded me for such a long time? I am really eager to try Flametree BBQ as I have passed it up on so many occasions and I also must try the Wave at the Contemporary Resort, a local food restaurant at Disney, how cool! Can anyone point me in the direction of great table or quick service restaurants that offer things other than the normal burgers and fries?

Dopey's Girl
09-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Sunshine Seasons in the Land pavilion in Epcot. The food there is always Amazing, and they have a more unique menu. You could also try any of the countries in World Showcase. Most, if not all have CS places with a nice variety.

LVT
09-30-2012, 09:37 AM
We faithfully hit up: 1. Tangierie cafe-sampler meal
2. Sunshine Seasons 3. Yak and Yeti 4. Via Napoli (pizza and peach bellini:marg:) 5. Norway quick service (open-face sandwich and pastry) 6. French Patisserie-we treat it like a deli and drag food back to room
:cloud9:I like to think about the food for our next trip.

disneymom15
09-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Also very good, Columbia Harbor House and The Plaza restaurant at MK.

SBETigg
09-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Anyone who thinks there are only burgers and fries at Disney hasn't really been to Disney. Almost every counter and table service offers a lot more than burgers and fries. Have you tried eating around World Showcase, both table service and counter service? Also, they serve local fresh food at more than just the Wave.

My favorite table services: California Grill, Jiko, Sanaa, Boma, Narcoosees, Citricos, Kouzzina, Flying Fish, Bistro De Paris, Chefs de France, Via Napoli, Grand Floridian Cafe. Raglan Road.

Quick Service: Flametree, Tangierine Cafe, Katsura Grill, Cantina de San Angel, Columbia Harbour House, Sunshine Seasons. Gasparilla Grill. Captain Cook's.

Snacks: Crepes in France, cupcakes everywhere, Karamell Kuche anything, Dole Whip.

And if you go during Food & Wine Festival? You might never stop trying new things.

VeggieFruitFruit
09-30-2012, 01:36 PM
It seems like we are all on the same page with what is good eats, as you all have mentioned some of my favorite places, now I just need to do some convincing. I know one thing I won't leave without a dole whip and tonga toast!

darthmacho
09-30-2012, 03:46 PM
These places are "must eats" for me:

Crystal Palace
Yak and Yeti
Whispering Canyon or Artist Point
Sunshine Seasons
Cosmic Ray's
and the latest: Boma

These items are "must eats" for me:

Mickey Waffles at Crystal Palace
Mango Pie at Yak and Yeti
Tie Dye Cheesecake at Everything Pop
Buffalo Steak at Artist Point
Red wine from the Pacific Northwest at Artist Point
Soups and hummus at Boma
and the ultimate "must eat": Zebra Domes at Boma.

Lindsey310
09-30-2012, 04:23 PM
"I don't like the food at Disney" this was the response I got from my girlfriend's mom when she told her I liked to eat at the parks. My thoughts are that she must be eating in the wrong places, if you base your entire opinion of Disney dining on Casey's Corner and the Electric Umbrella I can see having those thoughts. While in the planning stages of my next trip, the first with my son, I have been searching blogs and boards for new experiences to have, especially when it comes to filling my belly. How has Tonga Toast and School Bread evaded me for such a long time? I am really eager to try Flametree BBQ as I have passed it up on so many occasions and I also must try the Wave at the Contemporary Resort, a local food restaurant at Disney, how cool! Can anyone point me in the direction of great table or quick service restaurants that offer things other than the normal burgers and fries?

Saying she doesn't like the food at Disney is simply un-American lol! She must have eaten at the really old quick services like the ones you mentioned.

Here's a quick list of must do's (in my opinion!)
Sanaa
Ohana
Any character breakfast but we like cape may cafe and best friends breakfast at poly
Via napoli
Le Cellier steakhouse
Boma
Flame tree BBQ is a must try!
Backlot express at Hollywood studios is a great QS
We loved mama melroses this year-new chef and it's delicious
Columbia harbor house!!! Obsessed with their fish and chips
We like the Mara at AKL, they have a great turkey sandwich
Kona cafe for the fabulous tonga toast (no dieting on that day!)
Pizza window at boardwalk resort
Beaches and cream for a great sundae

There are so many great restaurants at WDW!
:eat:

TheDuckRocks
10-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Wow, this really surprises me as we find DIsney to have good food. It is not the fine dining you will find in major cities nor the mom & pop hidden gem in your hometown. And it is costly. But it is without a doubt the best amusement park food we have ever found. We have eaten at a large number of the TS restaurants and have only found 2 where we would not go back. Look at some of the current menus at allears or the Disney food blog and you will find a lot of things at the CS places that will give you vast choices. Our problem at WDW has never where to eat, but where we will not go.

VeggieFruitFruit
10-01-2012, 12:06 PM
I think the cost of the food has something to do with her opinion of it, in my opinion I don't think the prices are too unreasonable, most of the table service restaurants are comparable to the places I eat at in my city.

#1donaldfan
10-01-2012, 01:00 PM
MK = TS, LIberty Tree
CS, Tortuga, Pecos Bills, Columbia HH
AK = TS, Yak n Yeti
CS, Flametree, Pizzafari,
EC = TS, Japan, Coral Reef
CS, Yorkshire Fish Shoppe, Sunshine Sea
HS = TS, Sci Fi, (of course my fav here is the burger)

These are to name just a few.....You should not miss out on Flametree, it's great. The Wave has an incredible breakfast !!

bruin1344
10-01-2012, 01:14 PM
CS - Pecos Bill, Columbia Harbour House, Earl of Sandwich, Wolfgang Puck Express, Sunshine Seasons, and World Showcase countries Morocco, Japan, Mexico, China, and USA (sorry dont know names)

TS - Cape May, LeCellier, Rose & Crown, Teppan Edo, California Grill, Ohana

elmjimmlm
10-01-2012, 01:20 PM
The best pizza in Disney World period is Via Napoli!!! I haven't had better pizza anywhere else!
Sunshine Seasons has a great variety and it all GOOD!
Starring Rolls in DHS is very good...
Ohana in the Polynesian is one of our favorites and we go every trip!

Gator
10-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Glad to see you have FlameTree on your to-do list. 6 trips and I've done it on each one - sometimes twice.

Here's my advice, for what it's worth:
MK: Maple-roasted almonds. The stand are near the TeaCups and near the Jungle Cruise.

Epcot: Anything chocolate from the Germany pavillion. And Teppen Edo is one of the best secrets for TS dining.

DHS: There's a confectionary store between The Muppets and SciFi. It has some really good stuff i there.

AK: There's nothing like a chocolate covered banana to start the day at AK.

AmandaChan
10-03-2012, 09:59 AM
I do like Flame Tree quite a bit. I was watching a youtube blog from someone that tried the pumpkin cream cheese cookies at the writer's stop in MGM (i can't remember exactly what they were called) and they said it was easily the best dessert in all of WDW. I wanna try those next time.