PDA

View Full Version : app instead of dessert on dining plan?

arm00leg
09-28-2012, 02:03 PM
We could be in the minority here but sometimes getting a dessert at every meal with the dining plan is just to much dessert - especially if you want to have goodies while bopping around the parks. How are the restaurants about getting an appetizer instead of dessert? Has anyone done this? Trust me, we will be splurging - but need to be able to walk around after eating!:blush::eat:

Tygger7
09-28-2012, 02:06 PM
You're not allowed to substitute an appetizer for a dessert. As you can imagine, this is a big complaint with the dining plan.

As for me, well...I've never seen a dessert I didn't like and couldn't stuff down, lol. :D

Itchy
09-28-2012, 02:14 PM
As the previous poster stated, you can't switch a dessert for appetizer.

I am not much of a dessert person as I am more of the appetizer guy. I wish they would give us the choice.

Last October we had the deluxe dining plan and ate at a lot more signature dining places. With that plan you get the appetizer and dessert. All that to eat in one sitting much less three meals a day and snacks. OMG! when we left they had to roll me out to the car...:blush:

JanetMegan
09-28-2012, 02:21 PM
I so wish this too. I'm just not a sweets person, most of the desserts I had last week left me wanting a salad ;)

Mickey'sGirl
09-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Though they will often substitute a Latte or Cappucino for a dessert. That would be the way I'd go! :thumbsup:

joonyer
09-28-2012, 02:25 PM
We first did the DDP several years ago when you got an appetizer (per person) and desert for everybody at every TS meal. While we certainly enjoyed the food, 4 appetizers on top of entrees and deserts at every meal was WAY TOO MUCH food for our family (2 boys ages 13 & 10). We would have never ordered so much if we were paying OOP. But there's no denying that the DP was a much better deal back then (it included the gratuity also!).

Lindsey310
09-28-2012, 02:32 PM
I too, would prefer an appetizer vs a dessert.
DH would prefer a dessert vs an appetizer.
Kinda stinks you can't substitute but I guess it might get a little confusing.

What about when the dining plan first came out:
App and entree with dessert was included....and so was the tip!!!!! Ahhh good ol days! :mickey:
:eat:

A Big Kid
09-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Remember, you don't have to "order" dessert even though it is in the plan. If you don order dessert, you bill is lower, hence your tip is less.

DisneyGlutton
09-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Remember, you don't have to "order" dessert even though it is in the plan. If you don order dessert, you bill is lower, hence your tip is less.

:ditto: I did this quite a bit my last trip. A couple of times, the server also let me get another glass of milk and count it as dessert. However, even if you skip dessert and save the tax, you're still paying indirectly for the dessert. This is one of the reasons I'm going OOP in December.

TheRustyScupper
09-28-2012, 11:52 PM
. . . How are the restaurants about getting an appetizer instead of dessert? . . .

1) Nope.
2) Desserts are so much cheaper than appy's.
3) That is why they are on DDP instead of an appy.
4) Appy's are expensive because
. . . a) they seldom keep overnight or longer
. . . b) they are not bought bulk as single servings
. . . c) each order is individually made
. . . d) takes manpower to staff the appy kitchen
. . . e) there is too much waste
5) As opposed to desserts
. . . a) can be kept for several days
. . . b) single servings bought in bulk
. . . c) individual choices have with little variety
. . . d) servers can grab it themselves
. . . e) they can be stored, so little waste

NOTE: Just use your own kitchen as an example. For a salad, you must crack the lettuce, add croûtons, get dressing, mix for each person (purchasing, labor, material, time, toss out lettuce when brown). For dessert, you open the fridge and grab several purchased sweet to serve everyone (purchasing, no labor, no mixing, no product waste).

A Big Kid
09-29-2012, 01:40 PM
:ditto: I did this quite a bit my last trip. A couple of times, the server also let me get another glass of milk and count it as dessert. However, even if you skip dessert and save the tax, you're still paying indirectly for the dessert. This is one of the reasons I'm going OOP in December.

The thing that goes unnoticed is that although the DP gives you an entree, drink and desert, your bill reflects the cost of the items. If your average desert of $6.00 and a family of 4 doesn't have dessert your bill does not go up by $24.00.

Assuming a 20% tip, that will "save" you $5.

Dulcee
09-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Though they will often substitute a Latte or Cappucino for a dessert. That would be the way I'd go! :thumbsup:

This is good to know!

Gator
09-29-2012, 07:13 PM
As for me, well...I've never seen a dessert I didn't like and couldn't stuff down, lol. :D

Amen to that! But I know what you mean. I get a bunch of sweets at Epcot and MK, and then get more sweets after dinner. But I eat them anyway :D

texas211
09-30-2012, 04:43 PM
and NO Substituting meals for snacks. 2 weeks this woman in front of me was out of snacks but wanted two sweets from the German caramel place. She was telling the CM's she could sub a meal (which she had plenty of) for a snack or two. The German CM's had to argue with her for 15 minutes.