PDA

View Full Version : DMacho's Dining Reviews: Condensed (With Photos!)

darthmacho
09-26-2012, 04:26 PM
I've decided to condense my 2012 Dining Reviews into one post and have included a link to our dining photos! Unfortunately that means less detail, but if anyone has specific questions, please comment and I'll answer as best that I can. I apologize that the photos aren't in any logical order, but I'm too lazy to organize them right now. Sloth is just one of the Deadly Sins of which I am guilty. Anyway, here we go: :eat:

Table Service Restaurants

5 Stars (The Best of the Best!)

Artist Point: Set the bar high for food, service, and atmosphere. The best experience of the trip.

4.5 Stars (Near Perfect!)

Mama Melrose: A pleasant surprise, especially the food. A table away from the kitchen might have landed a 5 Star review.
La Hacienda: The food was excellent, and it was the perfect place to watch Illuminations.
Boma: The BEST desserts of the trip, by far. The soup and the hummus alone are worth the price of admission.

4 Stars (Awesome!)

Crystal Palace: A breakfast tradition, it's the atmosphere that keeps me coming back, but the food is good too.
Garden Grill: A fabulous overall experience.
Yak and Yeti: A personal favorite. Love the mango pie!
Ohana: I considered giving taking a point off because our waiter gave me a dirty look for requesting a lime in my iced tea, but the food, live entertainment, and our red-haired waitress bailed him out. I'd certainly like to eat there again.

3.5 Stars (Good)

Plaza Restaurant: A nice place to dine near the end of the trip!
Tusker House: A good breakfast with fun characters.
T-Rex: The dining room was amazing! The food and service were better than I expected too.
Via Napoli: Good pizza and probably the best service of the trip! A very attentive wait staff.

3 Stars (Above Average)

Hollywood & Vine: Bringing up the rear on a trip in which we had superior dining experiences, don't take this as a bad review of H&V. It was last only by default.

Counter Service Restaurants

5 Stars (The Best of the Best!)

Sunshine Seasons: The best quick-serve that I've experienced in WDW.

4.5 Stars (Near Perfect!)

Landscapes of Flavor: The food selection was so good, and it was such a contrast to Everything Pop in terms of service that I had to rate high!
Pecos Bill Cafe: Cool, comfortable, and delicious. Extra points for the absurd amount of liquid cheese we consumed, even though it probably took time off of my life.

4 Stars (Awesome!)

Cosmic Ray's: An old favorite that we never miss. Great entertainment.

3.5 Stars (Good.)

Pinocchio Haus: Great atmosphere despite crowded conditions. Food was better than I expected too.
Roaring Forks: An old favorite, a good place to get a snack.

3 Stars (Above Average)

Yorkshire County Fish Shop: DW and DD seemed happy with their food.
Katsura Grill: A good lunch.
Liberty Tavern: Good food, comfortable dining room, and a pleasant surprise.
La Cantina de San Angel: Good place to get a quick bite.

2.5 Stars (Average)

Everything Pop: The food was actually very good, but the service was so bad that it was discouraging. The Tie-Dye Cheesecake helped bail out the rating too. It was excellent!
Tangierine Cafe: Kind of an unfair review, since all we got was the mint iced tea, but the selection disappointed me.
ABC Commissary: Overall it was pretty good.

2 Stars (Below Average)

Boulangerie Patisserie: Our eclair was not so good. I should have gotten the cream puff like DD suggested.
Kringla Bakery: Both the Schoolbread and Troll Horns disappointed me.

Well, that's it! Here is the link to the photos!
Enjoy and feel free to ask questions in the comments!!!! :mickey:
http://s201.beta.photobucket.com/user/DarthMacho/library/WDW%202012%20Dining%20Reviews?view=media

VWL Mom
09-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the great reviews and photos, good job :thumbsup:

I'm not a dessert person but the Red Velvet Whoopie Pie looks awesome!

Quadstriker
09-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Thank you. Will consider adding in an Artist Point dinner based on your recommendation.

darthmacho
09-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the great reviews and photos, good job :thumbsup:

I'm not a dessert person but the Red Velvet Whoopie Pie looks awesome!

I have to give credit to DW for taking the photos.

My kids absolutely LOVED the Red Velvet Whoopie Pie at Sunshine Seasons!

Thank you. Will consider adding in an Artist Point dinner based on your recommendation.

If you do try it, I hope it lives up to the lofty praise I've given it. If you're a wine drinker, I'd recommend whatever pairings they suggest, though I'm partial to red wine myself. Good luck!

amorillo
09-26-2012, 07:01 PM
thanks for sharing.... i am now thoroughly starving! :D

SBETigg
09-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Whoa, back up. I don't see any photo or mention of any kind of handwich here? This feels wrong. Did you eat meatloaf somewhere, anywhere?

RedSoxFan
09-26-2012, 08:21 PM
Good reviews. The pictures look yummy!!:mickey:

Lindsey310
09-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Your post (and especially the pictures) just made me hungry :eat:

Pally
09-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Loved viewing your photos. Some of the portion sizes seem huge. The banana spit looked enormous. Who can resist cheese if they have it freely flowing. lol. The steak and shrimp presentation was very interesting. Where do you start?

Some of the places, Mama Melroses and Katsura are places we have also listed to visit for a first time. Glad they rated pretty good. Would you recommend anything specific at Katsura?

missastrocat
09-26-2012, 09:58 PM
Thank you for the reviews condensed style, and the many photos! It was helpful as a picky eater to see all the images. Do you think the garden grill would give us a kids' cupcake instead of the fruit cobbler thingy?

I loved the red velvet whoopie pie.. I think based on your reviews and images I'll keep sunshine seasons in mind for counter service while at epcot. :thumbsup:

January-2007
09-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Wonderful pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Mickey'sGirl
09-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Fabulous! Thanks Darth! We will definitely be Artist Pointing it on our next holiday, thanks in part to your good review .... though nobody will ever convince me that Mama Melrose is 4.5 Stars ;) .

I mostly agree with your QS assessments, though do not think it is fair to add a poor review of the Tangierine Cafe when you didn't eat anything! Try it! You'll like it!

Thanks for taking the time to add the summary and the photos. Good job! :thumbsup:

yjgirl32
09-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Another great report. Will have to try Artist point, Thanks for sharing and love the pics- wife did an excellent job.

pdrlkr
09-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the Reviews! :mickey2:

cer
09-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Thank you so much for the pics! I love food pictures! :blush:

Dopey's Girl
09-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Seeing the pics of the food at AP makes me miss it even more. YUM!

Thanks for the pics and the great reviews!

DisneyorBust
09-28-2012, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the great reviews! And thanks to your wife for the fantastic photos! I was glad to read that some of the restaurants that you reviewed are on our list for our upcoming trip. Especially since you enjoyed them so much!

darthmacho
09-29-2012, 02:39 AM
Whoa, back up. I don't see any photo or mention of any kind of handwich here? This feels wrong. Did you eat meatloaf somewhere, anywhere?

I think you were looking at the wrong album...? ;)

TheVBs
09-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Loved the pictures! It's amazing how just the pictures of the food can give you that Disney feeling. Thanks for sharing them. :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-29-2012, 12:05 PM
The pictures were great thanks for the review

Gator
09-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Liberty Tree only got a 3? And Garden Grill got a 4? That one surprised me. Must've been the characters.

darthmacho
09-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Liberty Tree only got a 3? And Garden Grill got a 4? That one surprised me. Must've been the characters.

Yes, Garden Grill gets a 4, for sure. It was a great overall experience. The characters definitely enhanced the experience.

It was Liberty Inn the quick serve in Epcot, not Liberty Tree Tavern in Magic Kingdom, in case there was any confusion... :mickey: