PDA

View Full Version : Front license plate on GMC Acadia

buzznwoodysmom
09-26-2012, 09:08 AM
I recently purchased a GMC Acadia. On my old vehicle I had a Disney license plate on the front, and I wanted to put one on the new car, but there isn't a place to put it. There is a black plastic plate holder that came with the car, but it appears you have to screw it into the front bumper. There are no premade holes to put it in.

Has anyone done this? It seems like I'd be messing up the front bumper by doing this. I have noticed other cars, Acadias and similar cars, with front license plates so apparently other's have used the front holder that comes with the cars. It just seems odd to me to screw it into the front bumper.

Davyjones
09-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Yeah, some cars don't come with pre-drilled holes in the front bumper for license plates, unfortunately. My past 2 cars didn't, so I had to drill them myself. Most cars that don't have the holes pre-drilled in the bumper have 2 dimples or indentations on them in order to show people where to drill the holes. Drilling the holes will cause much less damage than just trying to screw the plate into place, which I've had some friends do, with not so great results.

Maybe you could take it back to the dealership you bought it from and ask them to do it? I'm not sure if they's charge you for that or not. Good luck!!! :thumbsup:

Nascfan
09-26-2012, 10:12 AM
We purchased a CR-V this summer and it was basically the same way, with the black plastic holder but no holes in the front bumper. I actually think most come that way now. As our state requires both plates, we just had the dealer drill the holes for us, which they did at no charge. That would be my suggestion.

1DisneyNut
09-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Most people do not like the tag holder on the front so they don't come preinstalled on many cars anymore. As has been mentioned there are often dimples where the screw holes should be drilled but sometimes there aren't any. Also, the way the front of some cars is made; sometimes the holder fits right onto the point in the center and centers itself and you hold it in place and drill the holes in the screw holes. The bumper cover is rubber so it is very easy to drill the holes. Just make sure you drill them smaller than the screws themselves. Usually about a 1/8 to 3/16 inch drill bit will do just fine. Of course you could take it back to the dealer and they would most likely slap it on in a few minutes.

Btw, I have seen people put them on with 3M brand double sided molding tape that can be bought in the automotive section at most walmarts and most auto parts stores such as advance and auto zone. Just make sure you use 3M brand and it will stay there, the cheap brands will not hold and your plate will fall off. If you tape it on, you could remove it later without any damage by using automotive tape/adhesive remover which is basically enamel thinner.

buzznwoodysmom
09-26-2012, 02:42 PM
I took a closer look at my front bumper and now I do see the small indentations where the plate should be screwed on.

I like the idea of the 3M tape. I'll have to look into that.

At my son's school there are at least 9 of the same exact car, just like mine, in the car rider line in the afternoon. Pearl white GMC Acadias must be very popular here. I had never really noticed how many of them there are till I got mine. My son told me the other day "mom, we really need a Disney license plate on the front like we had on the old car so I know which one is you". LOL. Thanks for all the help!

Itchy
09-26-2012, 03:48 PM
If your state requires a license plate to be attached to the front of the vehicle in addition to the rear they are suppose to be received at the dealership with it on already.

If your dealer did a dealer trade and the car came out of state where the plate is not required it would not be attached.

I would take the vehicle to the dealer and have them atttach it. They know where it is to be placed and have all of the equipment to make it look right. They should not charge you for it.

If they do I would raise a stink with my sales person.

Hope this helps..:mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
09-26-2012, 04:41 PM
If your state requires a license plate to be attached to the front of the vehicle in addition to the rear they are suppose to be received at the dealership with it on already.

My state does not require a front plate. So I don't have to have it, I just want it for a Disney license plate.

I would bring it back to where I bought the car , but I bought it at a dealership 2 hours from home. I found a better deal there than I could at the dealerships closer to home. So not sure a dealership here would do it for me, and I really don't want to drive the 2 hours just for this.

I am going to be doing all my maintenance at a GMC service center (and dealership) here at home. When I go in for my first oil change I'll see if they can do it while the car is there. If they can't, or want to charge a stupid amount to do it, DH can do it.

figgie
09-26-2012, 05:59 PM
I had the same problem. My dealer attatched the plate holder and I have my Castaway Cay license plate proudly on the front of my car! Along with my Animal Kingdom antenna topper, I have no problem finding "My" car. Good luck!

Itchy
09-26-2012, 07:05 PM
I would check with your local service center that you will be using. I would hope that if they value your business they maybe willing to help you out.

Good luck, I wish I did not need to have 2 state plates on my car. Oh! well...

I guess I must stick with my Mickey antenna balls. I just need to see that folks around here dont keep stealing them off of my car.

I do have one of the new Super Mickey antenna balls that I picked up the first of the month at WDW on my inside rearview mirror. It is really cool....

buzznwoodysmom
09-26-2012, 07:17 PM
I guess I must stick with my Mickey antenna balls.

See, this is why I want my front Disney plate so badly. This new car doesn't have an antenna that I can use with my Mickey antenna toppers. It's a short, stubby one toward the back top of the car, and I'm almost positive it's too fat to fit an antenna topper. I have to have something on the car that makes it "mine".

Itchy
09-26-2012, 07:59 PM
I have a Chevy Cruze and it has the small stubby antenna on the back as well and it fits great.

I had a 2011 Chevy Equinox and I had to enlarge the hole a little because the stubby at the back was larger. After I enlarged it it fit fine. I took a metal drill bit and used my hand to ream out the whole until it fit just right.

Hope this helps..:mickey: