PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom Lodge

debbymc4
09-24-2012, 12:18 PM
We just returned from a stay at AKL, Jambo House. Overall, it was a great resort and we we really enjoyed our stay. The art work and decor was just beautiful, and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We really enjoyed speaking with several staff posted at the animal viewing areas who were all from Africa (such beautiful accents!).

We visited the pool at Jambo House and at Kidani Village. I like that they have a toddler wading pool at Jambo House that is set apart from the larger pool. It was great to be able to sit on the chaise and let my son play without fear of having to rescue him from deeper water. The splash pads at Kidani Village were great, too. The main pools don't really have any theming, though, which wasn't what I expected. They do have nice water slides. My son especially enjoyed the water slide for younger kids at Kidani Village.

The room was comfortable with beautiful decorations and good beds. The only strange thing was that we had a room overlooking the path where folks walk to catch the buses. Surprisingly, it wasn't noisy at all and it was kind of fun to peek over at everyone heading out and back. But, there was a steep eave over the balcony that resulted in absolutely no view in the room. You had to actually walk onto the balcony to see out. It made the room very dark, which I didn't like at all (Room 3027, in case you want to avoid that).

The gift shop was great and I liked that they had grocery-type items.

We didn't visit any of the sit-down restaurants because I wasn't feeling well and didn't have an appetite for ethnic food. :( But, I really liked the counter service restaurant there. Unlike other resorts, it wasn't completely packed and congested, even for breakfast. There were good options for both 'theme' food and more traditional American fare.

The buses were fine as much as the buses are (I hate them and normally will just drive...freaks me out to have so many people packed in). There are only two stops...Jambo House and Kidani Village.

The best part of the whole experience was the voicemail we had waiting when we arrived of Mickey and Minnie singing Happy Birthday to my son. He played it at least 30 times, only accidentally calling the front desk twice! :)

BugeyedMuggy
09-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the great review. We love this resort but haven't been in a couple of years. We will be there in 5 days and can't wait. Also staying at Jambo in a studio.

Lindsey310
09-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Great review :thumbsup:

We love the AKL and it has actually become DH and I favorite resort!!!! We love jambo house and the theming is top notch! Glad you had a great time :mickey:

darthmacho
09-24-2012, 04:32 PM
We visited there in August and ate at Boma. I love the AKL, and I thank you for your thoughts about it. I really want to stay here some day!

Disneymom4ever
09-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the review! I love hearing about this resort, as it is one my DH and I really want to stay at in the future. Sounds wonderful! :cloud9:

RedSoxFan
09-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Glad to hear you enjoyed AKL. It really is a lovely resort. We will be staying there for our third time in November for DD Sweet 16. This is where she wanted to stay --- she loves the pool there.

Mousemates
09-24-2012, 06:32 PM
I agree...AKL is awesome and IMHO the best resort to actually be at while at WDW....the lobby is wonderful to sit, read or people watch in, the restaurants are unique, the pool is great and then you have the animals to top things off.

#1donaldfan
09-25-2012, 01:17 PM
AKL is incerdible !! We stayed there for the first time this July and I am hooked. We had visited on several occasions, had dinner there, but to stay was perfection. We had a great Savanah View room with the animals sleeping, eating, or just meandering around beneath our balcony. I will probably stay other places out of necessity, however if and when possible I will be at AKL !!! :cool:

TikiGoddess
09-25-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm afraid AKL has spoiled us. We've stayed 3 times, and now really can't think of staying elsewhere. We love the animals, the decor, the delicious cooking smells, the restaurants, the cast members, the pin trading... I could go on and on.

Kathy

Mitzie
09-26-2012, 11:34 AM
DH and I are headed back to AKL for the third time this Oct. for a couple of nights before joining up with my In-Laws at YC. We love AKL! I stuggle to get DH to stay anywhere else. I have WL picked out to stay at for our next Christmas trip and he wants to go to AKL. He feels they are so similar why not have the animals as well. I just want to see WL at Christmas(We already did AKL at Christmas).

debbymc4
09-26-2012, 12:00 PM
The boat at WL lodge is huge plus!

FutureCorpsFan
09-26-2012, 12:35 PM
We love AKL... With the woodfire going all the time, it gets ingrained into your head. Now, whenever we smell woodfire, we are instantly transported back to AKL.

brownie
09-27-2012, 07:35 AM
DH and I are headed back to AKL for the third time this Oct. for a couple of nights before joining up with my In-Laws at YC. We love AKL! I stuggle to get DH to stay anywhere else. I have WL picked out to stay at for our next Christmas trip and he wants to go to AKL. He feels they are so similar why not have the animals as well. I just want to see WL at Christmas(We already did AKL at Christmas).

You can always visit the Wilderness Lodge. Plan a meal there or just go there to see the decorations. I would choose Animal Kingdom Lodge over Wilderness Lodge.

Melanie
09-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Love AKL! We've stayed there twice now, after initially thinking we wouldn't like it. How wrong we were! Glad you had a good time.

Mitzie
09-27-2012, 10:26 AM
You can always visit the Wilderness Lodge. Plan a meal there or just go there to see the decorations. I would choose Animal Kingdom Lodge over Wilderness Lodge.

SHHHH! We can't let DH get wind of that opinion...it will only fuel his ideas..no more crazy talk now!

brownie
09-28-2012, 11:32 AM
SHHHH! We can't let DH get wind of that opinion...it will only fuel his ideas..no more crazy talk now!

Sorry, I'm with him on this one!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the review

Mickey'sGirl
09-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Love AKL! We've stayed there twice now, after initially thinking we wouldn't like it. How wrong we were! Glad you had a good time.Ours was the opposite experience! Couldn't wait to stay, and then were so bothered by the confined animals, we found we couldn't enjoy it!

We love the decor of the AKL, and the fabulous restaurants there, and you are right that the shop is so fabulous!

#1donaldfan
10-01-2012, 12:24 PM
Ours was the opposite experience! Couldn't wait to stay, and then were so bothered by the confined animals, we found we couldn't enjoy it!

We love the decor of the AKL, and the fabulous restaurants there, and you are right that the shop is so fabulous!

Confined animals ?? They are better taken care of there than in the wild or in another place under "captivity".

Our Savannah View room gave us so many days of animal viewing and I don't think any looked bothered by being there, they seemed very content, happy !! Plus their natural predators will not harm them......even man !!:cool:

Joannelet
10-02-2012, 12:00 AM
AKL is definitely hands down our favorite resort on property. There is not one negative I can even think about. The cast members are just wonderful at this resort. They go above and beyond.
And the animals are just simply amazing! They are just beautiful to watch.
There are definitely no confined animals that is for sure! Lots and lots of area for them to eat, roam, play, sleep, and rest. They are definitely happy and healthy animals and have a wonderful staff that makes sure they are.
The food is divine. The Mara has the best cous cous!
The pool is just wonderful. My son would love it if he could live in AKL.
We just got home on Friday and cannot wait to go back for another trip!
Glad the OP enjoyed it so much. Sorry you werent feeling well :( Hope you are all better now!

Gator
10-02-2012, 03:23 PM
We stayed at the Kidani Village, which I would imagine have very similar rooms. We loved it there! Just wish we would have been at Jambo for the awesome lobby and the good places to eat there.

JMTStone
10-02-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm afraid AKL has spoiled us. We've stayed 3 times, and now really can't think of staying elsewhere. We love the animals, the decor, the delicious cooking smells, the restaurants, the cast members, the pin trading... I could go on and on.

Kathy

I'm glad you mentioned this. The smell at AKL and Kidani lobbies just makes me feel warm and sunny inside. But my 20 year old doesn't like it at all. Since we're DVC members with points there, we have stayed 3 times total and I always forget about the smell until we arrive.

They should bottle that.

I also think the shop at AKL is the best. I have quite a few items decorating my home from this shop.

debbymc4
10-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Joannelet - so nice of you to hope I'm better. Yes, I am! Wishing I could go back and redo the trip now.