PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder Mountain Interactive Queue Coming Soon

Melanie
09-24-2012, 10:00 AM
From Disney Parks Blog:

Guests Can Soon Interact with Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
in New Immersive Queue

posted on September 24th, 2012

Today we have an exciting update on something new that’s in the works in Frontierland at Magic Kingdom Park – Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is about to get a new interactive queue.

We’ve previously shared updates here on the Disney Parks Blog about enhanced queues that have been added to other attractions at the park – these interactive queues immediately allow guests to immerse themselves in the story of an attraction while they wait to board. Such experiences can already be found at The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, the Haunted Mansion, and most recently, Dumbo the Flying Elephant in Storybook Circus.

Our friends at Walt Disney Imagineering just shared with us that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in Frontierland is next in line for such an addition. When it opens, guests will be able to participate in the story of the Big Thunder Mining Company like never before. It’s guaranteed to be a blast!

DisneyDINK
09-24-2012, 10:21 AM
I thought we already had smartphones to keep us from talking to each other?

Stu29573
09-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Sigh....... This is SO useless.....

Dsnygirl
09-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Cool! :thumbsup: We LOVE BTMRR, but there are points in the queue where you swear the line is just NEVER going to end. It'll be cool to have a "storyline" along with it! Ought to be interesting to see what they do... :train:

readytogo2
09-24-2012, 11:14 AM
why dont we fix and maintain things first then do this?

DisneyGlutton
09-24-2012, 11:23 AM
I would think these might actually slow down the queue, right? :confused: The only ride with an interactive queue that I've been on was SM, and imho it did slow down line movement.

joonyer
09-24-2012, 11:27 AM
The waiting time in the queues is controlled by the ride loading capacity (#of People per train, x trains per minute). Unless they are sending off trains with unfilled seats, then how long you wait in line is not affected by interactive features in the queue.

faline
09-24-2012, 11:42 AM
The activities in the Winnie ride area are cute but geared to kids and has little to no interest for me. (Also, I noticed at least one of these interactive items appeared to be broken the last time I was on this ride). Plus, I typically get a fast pass for this ride so don't go thru the interactive area anyway. Once per trip is enough of Space Mountain for me and, again, I typically go through on a fast pass so miss any interactivity. The Haunted Mansion are is neat. My nephew enjoyed it (4-1/2) and it was fun to go through the first time The last couple of times we rode, we just bypassed this area. I'm guessing Big Thunder will be more of the same.

taleasoldastime
09-24-2012, 11:54 AM
The waiting time in the queues is controlled by the ride loading capacity (#of People per train, x trains per minute). Unless they are sending off trains with unfilled seats, then how long you wait in line is not affected by interactive features in the queue.
Thats exactly what i was thinking when people keep saying it makes the wait time longer.
I like the interactive queues. Why not make waits more entertaining? No one enjoys a super long wait and they make the wait slightly less painful.

DizneyFreak2002
09-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Things in the BTMR queue are about to go boom...

Melanie
09-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Things in the BTMR queue are about to go boom...

That's evident from this line:

It’s guaranteed to be a blast!

I don't know. The other interactive queues have pretty much been one and done for me. And really, I think the BTMR queue is loud and bustling enough without adding things blowing up here and there.

And why didn't they add this during the recent rehab?

January-2007
09-24-2012, 12:31 PM
I love this ride so I think it will be neat to see more of a story about it while waiting.

BriarRose0708
09-24-2012, 12:45 PM
I think if any queue needed something interactive, it's this one! I haven't seen any of the new interactive queues, so I can't judge for myself, but I think this one will be a nice addition. The last time I was in stand-by for BTMRR I was so bored. And yes, I was with friends and we were talking with one another. But that doesn't make it any less boring.

SBETigg
09-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Thats exactly what i was thinking when people keep saying it makes the wait time longer.
I like the interactive queues. Why not make waits more entertaining? No one enjoys a super long wait and they make the wait slightly less painful.

I disagree somewhat. I've been behind people who stop at the interactive elements and don't move on when the line moves, leaving you the dilemma of "is it okay if I pass them by, or do I need to stay and wait for them to move on?" It might not actually make the wait longer, but it makes it awkward and it seems longer when you can't get to where you want to go. And I'm not a big fan of anything that makes me question queue etiquette. But it's not that big of a deal and some interactive elements, done well, do add to the experience. So I guess it depends on what they do.

DisneyGlutton
09-24-2012, 02:56 PM
It might not actually make the wait longer, but it makes it awkward and it seems longer when you can't get to where you want to go.

That's the point I intended to make, but worded better. In other words, the total wait time might not increase, but the flow of the line itself will be more fits and starts than normal.

Lindsey310
09-24-2012, 03:58 PM
I wonder when this will happen...?

I liked the addition of the interactive area for the haunted mansion and have done it two times. May or may not do it again the next time we go. It will be interesting to see what they do to Thunder mountain. :yay: :mickey3:

Lindsey310
09-24-2012, 04:01 PM
I disagree somewhat. I've been behind people who stop at the interactive elements and don't move on when the line moves, leaving you the dilemma of "is it okay if I pass them by, or do I need to stay and wait for them to move on?" It might not actually make the wait longer, but it makes it awkward and it seems longer when you can't get to where you want to go. And I'm not a big fan of anything that makes me question queue etiquette. But it's not that big of a deal and some interactive elements, done well, do add to the experience. So I guess it depends on what they do.

So true!!!! This happened to us at the haunted mansion this month, I felt like saying hello time to move!! Sort of annoying. Then again, there are the people that are texting and the same thing happens (happened to us on thunder mountain)....:mickey:

Jared
09-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Generally, I like interactive queues. So I hope this is a success.

darthmacho
09-24-2012, 04:40 PM
I like queues that rides like Everest, Kali, Toy Story, and Star Tours has better than the ones they added to Soarin', Space Mountain, Pooh, and Haunted Mansion.

I guess in most cases, something in the queue is better than nothing.

Melanie
09-24-2012, 05:14 PM
I like queues that rides like Everest, Kali, Toy Story, and Star Tours has better than the ones they added to Soarin', Space Mountain, Pooh, and Haunted Mansion.

Exactly! When the queues are well done, no need for interactive elements.

joonyer
09-24-2012, 05:32 PM
We don't like gaps in lines, whether in traffic or in a pedestrian queue. Never mind if it won't make any difference in how soon we get there. Most people would rather wait in a constantly moving line for 30 minutes than stand still and wait for 20. It's all in our perception. ;)

Tekneek
09-24-2012, 06:37 PM
I would prefer posters, pictures, etc, that generate discussion and prime the imagination in these queue lines than some "interactive" game. The Splash Mountain queue, and even the Pirates queue, have enough atmosphere and little things to get the mind going. I would prefer going in that direction.

Dsnygirl
09-24-2012, 08:51 PM

I have to agree with this, even though I am interested to see what they put here... I've found the "games" that they have in Space Mtn to be a bit of an issue at times, as kids don't want to stop playing to move along, and parents either force them (aka tears and whining) or allow them to stay (aka waiting when there's no need to wait) :shake:

The way the did the queue for HM I think is better... quick things to explore and try, but nothing you feel like you need to "finish".

So, it'd be nice if they had some good new themeing and interesting things to read/look at, etc., but hopefully no games, etc. ;)

disneynarula
09-25-2012, 10:22 AM
I have not been since all this interactive stuff was added to the ride lines but it seems silly to me.

azcavalier
09-25-2012, 11:26 AM
I have not been since all this interactive stuff was added to the ride lines but it seems silly to me.

This is just my opinion, but I like them, even if all I do is watch someone else doing it. I think that they add to the story, and they certainly add entertainment. Again, usually you can choose to bypass this area. I know that you can with the Haunted Mansion queue, but why would you want to? This is a fun experience.

John
09-25-2012, 05:13 PM
We have become so sad as a society that every single second has to be filled with Activity. Those empty moments are what brought families together - you would actually talk, interact and give guidance / input.

I'm no stodgy guy - in fact I'm an early adoptor of technology but I'd much rather the queue tell the story and your imagination fill in the blanks.

That said - I hope whatever they are doing is well done. Here's hoping.

antngoof89
09-25-2012, 05:13 PM
I think the interactive queue's are actually pretty fun. I'm not going on vacation to get a bunch of stuff done, I'm going to relax. If adding interactive features to lines are going to make waiting in long lines more relaxing to me and more enjoyable then I'm okay with it. I love Winnie the Pooh's line and I love the Haunted Mansion's. The Soarin' game is extremely fun as well! I may be in the minority with that, but I sincerely enjoy this additions. Keeping the parks fresh is a lot of fun IMO.

beksy
09-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Has anyone heard when this change will be taking place and if they will have to close the ride while doing the updating?

BrerSchultzy
09-26-2012, 02:42 AM
While I am generally very blase about interactive queues, I am excited about this one. I love the backstory of BTMRR, but you have to really dig through the Disney books to find it. I think getting more of a story to the audience on this ride will make the whole thing more enjoyable.

TinkerbellT421
09-26-2012, 07:56 AM
I guess I'm kinda "eh" on the whole thing, mostly because I can't wrap my head around how a smart phone is going to work in a Queue area?

If and thats a big IF, I figure it out and it's easy (I have a short attention span with things) I might try it once, just to see what its like, but then probably never do it again. We mostly fast pass everything anyway, like Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, etc so I am not sure we will even see the queue.

And I agree John, though I do catch myself immersed in my cell alot. But it irks me when I am talking to somebody and the whole time they have their face buried in a phone. I feel like the woman in the commercial where her daughter is texting at the counter and the mother says "I just want to smash that thing" lol

Gator
09-29-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm actually excited about anything they put in the queues. Even if it's just something to draw your attention to it for a few seconds, it seems to make the line go faster. And anything is better than time spent pulling splinters out of your fingers you got from dragging them along the walls.

TinkerbellT421
09-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Finally back! Bout stinking time.

I'm actually excited about anything they put in the queues. Even if it's just something to draw your attention to it for a few seconds, it seems to make the line go faster. And anything is better than time spent pulling splinters out of your fingers you got from dragging them along the walls.

:confused: were you gone?

Dopey's Girl
09-29-2012, 08:19 PM
I like the idea of something interesting to look at, that helps enhance the storyline of the ride, but don't need stuff to touch, break, or keep people from moving along. I think that is what I like most about some of the other queues mentioned (Toy Story, EE), lots to look at, but not much that slows people down. I love technology, but it's not always needed.

I also don't get why they didn't implement this in the months long rehab they just finished. Seems pretty silly.

texas211
09-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Great. More junk for kids to be running around to play with, or adults jocking around.

What happened to just standing in line, either taking in the moment or the ambiance, or you know, just standing in line... I could go for some mist or fans.

Tekneek
10-01-2012, 10:07 AM
I would trade all of these queue enhancement ideas for current attractions running properly (all effects on Splash Mountain going, Yeti operating properly, etc).

SBETigg
10-01-2012, 11:45 AM
We have become so sad as a society that every single second has to be filled with Activity. Those empty moments are what brought families together - you would actually talk, interact and give guidance / input.

I'm with you on that, John. We've had some great family time just standing in line, moving forward slowly. It gives us time to talk about the previous attraction/how the trip is going/what everyone is feeling about the day, the vacation, life in general. It's a gift to have that time to connect and decompress between enjoying an attraction and running on to the next thing. Not that I want to just stand in line all day, but yes, some of our best family moments have been just standing in line. So it's a little sad to have to have something to do all the time, every minute. I do prefer atmospheric enhancements, something to look at and talk about, over actual in-line activities. But it's not at the point where every line is interactive. Yet. So, I'm okay with it maybe, depending on what they do.

joonyer
10-01-2012, 11:52 AM
I would trade all of these queue enhancement ideas for current attractions running properly (all effects on Splash Mountain going, Yeti operating properly, etc).

:ditto::exactly::ditto::exactly::ditto::exactly:

But I suppose that's too much to hope for.

Tekneek
10-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Some of you who follow me on twitter may have seen this already, but I think the only queues on property that REALLY need some interactivity and sprucing up are the BUS QUEUES!

Mrs Bus Driver
10-03-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm with you on that, John. We've had some great family time just standing in line, moving forward slowly. It gives us time to talk about the previous attraction/how the trip is going/what everyone is feeling about the day, the vacation, life in general. It's a gift to have that time to connect and decompress between enjoying an attraction and running on to the next thing. Not that I want to just stand in line all day, but yes, some of our best family moments have been just standing in line. So it's a little sad to have to have something to do all the time, every minute. I do prefer atmospheric enhancements, something to look at and talk about, over actual in-line activities. But it's not at the point where every line is interactive. Yet. So, I'm okay with it maybe, depending on what they do.
I get what you are saying for DD and me it is the car ride to DL. The 6 hours it takes to get there is some of the best bonding time we have. Even when not going to a park our best conversations are in the car. We listen to each others music and I find out about BFs and such. This is where we tell each other every thing. Even more then we do at home. So for me the car ride is a big deal. So don't change what you do. Enjoy the wait talk, share. :mickey:

figgie
10-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Oh my gosh Mrs Bus Driver, my DH and I have said that for years! We have the best talks on a long drive, keeps us so much more connected when we have a long car trip. Nice to hear we are not the only ones who feel that way!

Now, as for the interactive queues, I prefer to reserve judgement until I've experienced it. Sometimes I just hate waiting and sometimes I enjoy all that is going on around me, just depends on my mood I guess. I'll wait and see how it goes but if it means learning something new about the back story or history of the ride, I think I will enjoy it, especially the first couple of times. :teach:

TexasRoni
10-07-2012, 12:43 PM
I hate it when the lines are held up by someone "finishing up" an interactive queue activity, or if they are so absorbed in it, they disregard line common courtesies like moving on when the line begins to move! It's counter-productive sometimes.

Like some of the PP, I think the queues such as the one for Expedition Everest are the best kind - stuff to look at to keep from getting bored/grouchy and make the wait seem shorter, but not so hands-on and carnival-like activity that people get sucked in and keep the line from moving as it should.

missastrocat
10-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Any word on when the work for this will start? Are the same teams that have been working on the FLE and TT moved over to smaller (my perception) jobs like this?