PDA

View Full Version : Swimming in December

COVCHAI
09-23-2012, 08:10 PM
We are thinking of planning a trip next December. Is it usually warm enough to swim in December

FiggyFan
09-23-2012, 08:24 PM
The Info central section of Intercot shows average high temperature of 79 in November, 73 in December, and 71 in January. With heated pools (and maybe a little bit of bravery), it sounds possible, especially in early December. Who knows, you may catch a week in the 80s.

AgentC
09-23-2012, 08:40 PM
We are thinking of planning a trip next December. Is it usually warm enough to swim in December

:welcome: to Intercot.

December is variable. Daytime temperatures are usually warm enough to swim but there have been years where it has been cold (30-40) in December. It is not the norm, but possible.
The pools at WDW are usually heated so you should not have a problem with water temperature.

Unfortunately you can't really plan for it. Last Dec we used the pools without a problem. The previous year, it was way too cold.

figgie
09-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Yep, December is an iffy month. For us Floridians, it's way to cool for swimming usually but when my sister in law and her hubby visit from Canada, they even swim in the ocean when we think it is freezing but they think it is warm. I guess it is all what you are used to but hard to second guess mother nature, she is very unpredictable in December.

ElenitaB
09-23-2012, 10:30 PM
It truly depends on the December. Some years we've been able to swim (but not on all days); other years it has been freezing and we've needed coats and gloves. And, yes, I have to agree with figgie. We wouldn't think of swimming those cold years, but saw plenty of people who must be of heartier stock than we are in the pool, even as steam was rising up off the water.

Awesome_guy
09-23-2012, 11:28 PM
For us Floridians, it's way to cool for swimming usually but when my sister in law and her hubby visit from Canada, they even swim in the ocean when we think it is freezing but they think it is warm.

ahaha, I was JUST going to post a similar comment. It really is all so relative! As a Canadian, I'd be swimming in 73F (22C I just had to Google the conversion), FOR SURE. Especially if I'd just left freezing cold snow! It wouldn't be a hot summer day for us by any means, but a warm enough spring/fall day that it'd be nice to get out and about to splash around.

Heated water. Nice big bath sheet for a towel afterwards. Jump right in (none of that slowly getting in stuff). Mid afternoon swim time (versus evening or morning). ...done!

We've been the very few on many beaches and in many pools (in NZ, Australia, and the US). We're not trying to act tough but an indoor Nov/Dec/Jan home get you out and about abroad!

Disneymom4ever
09-24-2012, 08:39 AM
I have to agree with everyone else, it completely depends on how the weather is for you when you're there. December is such a tricky month! I have pics of my family swimming and in shorts, in the 80's, and in the same week we had ski gloves, hats, and long underwear on! I will never forget how cold is was then! So just keep an eye on the weather, and pack accordingly. And have fun! December is my favorite month to go with the holiday decorations, just love it! :mickey:

JerseyDad
09-24-2012, 09:57 AM
....being that the WDW pools are kept at about 81 degrees...it's definitely possible to swim in December. We once were at WDW Dec 27 thru Jan 3rd...and I definitely hit the pool several times...even when the outdoor temp was in the high 50's / Low 60's. It was pretty interesting to swim at about midnight with the "fog" (steam) coming off the top of the pool.

brownie
09-24-2012, 10:29 AM
:welcome:

COVCHAI, welcome to INTERCOT!

You can swim in December but it will probably depend on what the air temperatures and wind chill factors are on a particular day. On our 2003 trip, it was barely getting to 70 and we only managed a swim on one day during the trip. On our 2010 trip, we were able to swim for 3-4 days in a row before it cooled off. Both trips took place the week following Thanksgiving weekend.

Disney Doll
09-24-2012, 10:42 AM
I've learned a few things after several Jan/Feb trips to WDW.

1. If the pool is open (and it's open year round) people will be swimming.

2. Home region plays a huge role in what weather you consider comfortable.

Tigerinvestigator
09-24-2012, 12:01 PM
We've been several times in December and January and more often than not we are able to swim. We've had times where it was too cool for we adults, but the kids never seem to have a problem with it!:thumbsup:

faline
09-24-2012, 12:05 PM
There are times in December when we've found it too cold to swim (and we're from New England) and other times where it has been warm enough to spend the entire day at the pool. Weather in Florida at this time of year is extremely variable.

#1donaldfan
09-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Yes you can swim !! My DD swam NYE about 1 AM !! The air was cold/chilly, but the water was very warm. I sat beside the pool watching her and the fog coming off the water adn her splashing around was fun to see...wish I had got in, but I didn't want to think about getting out wet and freezing.....:cool:

ransam
09-24-2012, 05:35 PM
like everyone has said, it all depends.

we've been where all week it was 80, and the last day it never got above 40.
but plan on swimming. the pools are heated, it will feel great.
then run like the wind back to your room! lol

buzznwoodysmom
09-24-2012, 05:49 PM
We have been to WDW 3 times in Dec. The first two times it was too cold for us to swim. There were people in the pools some days, but for my family it was down right cold. Then last Dec. we were there the week of Christmas and it was warm enough to swim each and every day of that trip.

There is no way to tell what the weather will be in Dec. until about 10 days out from your actual dates. I'd wait to do all my packing till you can see what the 10 day forecast is looking like. When we visit Disney in the cooler months I usually pack most of our clothes according to the 10 day forecast, but I always pack a few things for any temp just incase. We often ended up using a bit of everything from jackets one day to swim suits another.

Mousemates
09-24-2012, 06:28 PM
its hit and miss....we usually check the weather forecast and choose whatever day is supposed to be warmest and use that as our pool/waterpark day.

Dr. Disney
09-24-2012, 09:02 PM
In terms of the resort.. swimming is definitely a possibility - Especially if you are form a colder area (Milwaukee for me). For water parks, it's more debatable. Keep in mind, one water park is usually under refurbishment this time of the year since attendance is much lower.

Oh yeah.. :welcome: to Intercot!

EJS-Houston
09-27-2012, 02:08 PM
I swim for exercise, and last November (early November) I was determined to swim...but evening was the only time I could do so. The pool (at Animal Kingdom Lodge) was heated, but outside the pool the air was pretty brisk. I would up getting a cold. I'd say play it by ear, but only swim in the heat of the afternoon, and even then, play it by ear.

Kplaster
09-28-2012, 09:55 AM
My 11 year old sister LOVEs to swim everytime were at disney she would spend all day in the pool the entire trip. (Our trips are the week before christmas every year). The pools are heated so once she is in the water it's great and when she gets out we are standing there with a towel for her to grab and run to the room to take a warm shower. My advice is to just have towels near by and try to have a room close to the pool if your going to swim. Hope this helps :)

Gator
10-02-2012, 03:30 PM
The pools are always heated, so the water will feel pretty good. Getting out of the water will be a little chilly. But I can't get away with a trip anywhere without my kids wanting to swim. So in we go!

mom2morgan
10-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Well, I'm Canadian so according to the above I should be hacking a hole in the ice and swimming regardless ;-) But I found every time we were there in December that we COULD swim, but the outside air temp was the bigger problem. The pools are heated and fine if you can stay submerged, but you have to come up for air eventually! The other thing I found is that even if it was swimmable weather in the daylight, the temp seems to really drop suddenly as soon as it gets dark. Can't say I really LIKE to swim in those temps! As opposed to being there last week and swimming at night and then air drying by the pool in perfect comfort :cloud9:.

faline
10-02-2012, 05:25 PM
For me, there's no swimming unless I can also sit by the pool and won't mind doing so even when I'm wet! We've had a number of December days that allows this but there have also been those days that you wouldn't be able to get me in the pool no matter how heated it is!! I don't want to be shivering as I exit or running to my room because I'm freezing!

Granny Jill A
10-03-2012, 04:01 PM
I've been down several times in December. Never can tell what the weather is going to be. One was shirt-sleeve comfortable and the next trip was miserable.

Swimming was wonderful until it was time to get out. I would have paid someone to stand there with a pre-warmed robe and slippers. Big Bucks!:D

Awesome_guy
10-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Well, I'm Canadian so according to the above I should be hacking a hole in the ice and swimming regardless

Mom2Morgan, not SHOULD be, ahaha, COULD be. This whole thread does having me thinking what my limits would be. Don't get me wrong: a hot tub handy for afterwards, if things are less than ideal, would make things tons more likely. Being wet in the wind is never fun.

Hopefully as a Canadian down in Florida down in Summer you're ESCAPING some of the ice. :iceskate: :sled: :ski:

mom2morgan
10-04-2012, 05:40 PM
LOL - yep, had to scrape the car windows this morning (I'm in Rocky so we're practically neigbours). Quite a shock after Florida last week!

Mom2Morgan, not SHOULD be, ahaha, COULD be. This whole thread does having me thinking what my limits would be. Don't get me wrong: a hot tub handy for afterwards, if things are less than ideal, would make things tons more likely. Being wet in the wind is never fun.

Hopefully as a Canadian down in Florida down in Summer you're ESCAPING some of the ice. :iceskate: :sled: :ski: