PDA

View Full Version : BrerSchultzy's "This Should Not Have Been the Best Trip Ever" Trip Report - Day Zero

BrerSchultzy
09-23-2012, 12:26 AM
So, I've never done a trip report. But this trip was wonderful, and thanks to Jennifer at Magical Journeys, extra special! Here are the details:

CAST:
Me - 36, Disney Veteran - had oral surgery 3 days before we left
DW - Age not specified, but as beautiful and young as the day we met - had a 101 degree fever the day we left
DS - 4.5 - Also had a fever the day we left - has no idea we're going to WDW!
DD - 9 months - teething

As you can see, there is no reason to believe we were about to embark on the best trip ever. Our dates were 9/10 - 9/16, and we booked POP with free QS Dining.
The dates are important, because 9/10 was my first day off since March. My wife and I are active in our local community theatre, and I have also just started a childrens theatre here in town. We closed a production of Once Upon a Mattress that featured DW as the lead (Princess Winnifred, played by Tracy Ullman in the Disney version) and myself as the Director. This summer also featured me directing a production of "Dividing the Estate" by Horton Foote at another theatre, two children's theatre productions that my wife wrote, three summer camps, an improvisational comedy camp, and let's not forget the production of Macbeth that my wife and I directed and starred in.
On top of all that, my wife works 20 hours a week as an in-home health care provider, and I work the night audit at a local hotel.

We haven't seen each other in months. We need this vacation.

We booked this vacation in a very similar fashion to that WDW commercial from several years ago....where the parents are looking online, and they say "we can afford that". Yup. And thanks to Jennifer at MJ, and a very generous and kind parent at the childrens theatre, that's just what we did.

Without going into too much detail, the production of Once Upon a Mattress closed on September 9th, and after striking the set, I arrived home at 10 PM. We then packed the car, and settled in for a 1.5 hour nap before hittin' the road. The play is deserving of its own book due to the stress-level it derived (we had people drop out due to pneumonia, I kicked one person out for bad-mouthing the choreographer who had emergency heart surgery half-way through rehearsal, etc.)

In other words...this was the hardest I've ever worked for a vacation, and nothing was going to stop us from enjoying it. No oral surgery (which was necessary because I had been clenching my jaw so tight because I was so stressed out over the plays), no fevers, no teething, no nothing was going to stop us.

So, at 3:30 AM, we hit the road. Kids still asleep, DW and I chomping at the bit.

To be continued...

January-2007
09-23-2012, 09:32 AM
So excited to read more! You all definitely deserved this vacation!

disneymom15
09-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Needing a vacation is an UNDERSTATEMENT.

Lindsey310
09-23-2012, 10:08 AM
You are really going to enjoy this vacation: sounds like it's a must needed one!!!

Heres extra pixie dust for you, have a magical time :pixie:

faline
09-23-2012, 10:44 AM
You have certainly been very busy! Glad you've got a break and are on the road to Disney - despite the fevers and surgery!!

DisneyorBust
09-23-2012, 03:39 PM
I have to agree with disneymom15! You folks sure do need a WDW vacation. Talk about busy. Looking forward to your next report.......

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
09-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Hey! The last role I played was FRED! I am really looking forward to reading your report! (I did the part 7 months pregnant with our daughter who is now almost 6 years old! Somersaults on a 6 foot high bed of mattresses was interesting!) Send your wife a high 5 from one FRED to another!

BrerSchultzy
09-23-2012, 10:23 PM
7 months pregnant!?! Wow! Erin was worried about doing the role with a 7 month old baby...But the Fred high 5 has been given. She really loved the role, and she's already going through withdrawal.

yjgirl32
09-24-2012, 09:56 AM
I know the feeling about needing a vacation so badly. Last year 4 days before we were suppose to leave we got hit with a flood which our house has never been in a flood area in the 80 years my family has lived in town. It left us with 8 feet of water in our basement. Plus DH also had to have his wisdom teeth taken out. I hope you enjoyed your trip.

Dsnygirl
09-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Wow... just wow!! You two DEFINITELY needed this trip!! I can't even imagine the schedule, with two little ones and "real life jobs" beyond your wonderful theatre. Holy smokes! Looking forward to reading on and seeing how it all came together to be such a great trip!!

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
09-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Fred was a dream role from when I was young,(I am a total Carol Burnett fan.. I would audition with 16 bars of SHY for just about everything. ) when auditions for the show came along I was not about to let pregnancy stand in my way. And I always tell my daughters they can do anything. I would have been a hypocrite if I didnt give it my all pregnant or not!

vizsla
09-27-2012, 05:12 AM
Thanks for the report.

Tigerinvestigator
09-27-2012, 10:44 AM
Been there done that. Nothing like stress to make the Disney Vacation even more magical.:thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Wow, you do need this trip:)