PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga springs vs. old key west

tazo
09-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Hi we are a family of six..
We tried to get a room at AKL villas but we could not find one for our dates.... We were offered either Saratoga or old key west... We tried Saratoga before but u didn't like it that much... I felt that it is not "Disney themed" I have never been to key west.
I guess the fact that we have stated at AKL so many times with the elaborate theme and all is affecting my judgment.
Please let me know your thoughts and what you like more. Help me decide between the two
Thank you so much

faline
09-22-2012, 05:25 PM
I haven't stayed at Saratoga Springs but am slated to stay there on my next trip.

We've had two visits to Old Key West -once in a studio (before we were owners) and last winter in a 2-bedroom. We greatly enjoyed the size of the accommodations. We had a serene view of some water and a small portion of a golf course. The balcony was quite large and even included a full size table which we could have dined at had we so desired. We were very close to Hospitality House which we liked very much. If you are used to seeing the animals from your balcony, this will be very different.

In some ways the setup is a bit like Saratoga Springs in that the buildings are dispersed through quite a large area. The bus makes multiple stops within the resort as it completes a circuit of the buildings.

Lindsey310
09-22-2012, 05:56 PM
We have stayed in both Saratoga springs resort and Old Key West. We love both. However, saratoga is in need of some upgrades and from what I understand those are underway. The last time we stayed there, the decor in the rooms looked a little worn.

My parents stayed at OKW in march 2012 and loved it. They have re modeled all of the rooms so they are really nice.

Both are great resorts. If you are looking for that overly themed resort, OKW probably will not satisfy you either. I know what you mean when you say AKL is your favorite, it's my personal fave also!! :thumbsup: if I had to choose, I might try OKW. Either way have a magical time :pixie:

Checkers
09-22-2012, 08:39 PM
:mickey:As owners at OKW we would naturally favor it. I have stayed at SS and it was nice as well but the size of the villas at OKW is a big plus and the boat to DTD is just great. We have found the bus service at OKW to be very good as well. Good luck!

CosmicRay
09-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Both resorts don't have the themeing like AKL, but they both have their perks.

Both are rather spread out with, so you may have a walk to the lobby depending on where you are located.

We are a family of six as well and our kids love the pools at SSR. I wasn't that impressed with the OKW pools

Our home resort is SS and we LOVE SS. We love the decor, the landscaping and the whole feel of the place.

OKW rooms have more space, but in my opinion, the place just felt older not as neat as SSR. We would go back, but if I had to choose between the two, we'd go with SSR.

Quadstriker
09-23-2012, 01:26 AM
There is a mathematical formula I like to use to precisely compare these two resorts.

It is commonly expressed thusly:

OKW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SS

BugeyedMuggy
09-23-2012, 06:51 AM
We were not a fan of OKW due to the size of the resort. We really needed our car to get around and I am not afraid to walk. You just have to walk to everything. The rooms are larger but the space is wasted. They did not feel that much larger to us. It also had 2 beds and no sofa (studio) so you had to sit at the small table or on the bed. For half the trip we were in a 2 bedroom and it also did not feel larger than other resorts other than the large balcony. We had a fairway view and 3 of the 4 mornings they were mowing at 7 am. The busses stopped at about 6 stops before exiting the resort. Olivia's had some preetty good food tho.

ThanxForNoticin
09-23-2012, 06:05 PM
We have done both resorts several times, and we will always choose OKW over SS. SS is a decent place, but OKW rooms are roomier, the layout is nicer, and it just has a much better feel for us. I give SS a plus on the counter service for food. Bus service from both are very similar - stops throughout the resort before you get to a park of DTD. If you get a reservation at OKW, I'd recommend you request a room as close to the main buidling as possible. Sometimes they can do that for you. Have a great trip.

mdhiggin
09-23-2012, 10:28 PM
I have to go with OKW. The point cost is cheaper, larger rooms, added chair bed after refurb. At OKW, you can book a room near the hospitality house. It is a room type, like pool view or standard but it is the same amount of points as a standard room. The biggest drawback for OKW is their tiny counter service, although SS isnt a whole lot better. Bottom line, I like both resorts, while neither are my favorite, cheaper points than most, especially OKW.

mdhiggin
09-23-2012, 10:33 PM
Parking at OKW is much closer to the room than SS. It's a plus for unloading, loading, zipping over to hospitality house or driving to the parks if you don't want to take a bus.

tjstrike
10-02-2012, 02:31 AM
Haven't stayed at OKW but SS if you stay in congress park it's just a short walk to DTD and a very cool view at night as DTD is all lit up. Last time we stayed there you could watch that hot air ballon go up at night, it was lit up also.