PDA

View Full Version : National Harbor land sold back

Mendelson
09-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Disney sold back the land it bought in the "National Harbor" development near D.C., according to the Washington Post. They sold it back for $11 million, the same price they bought it for in 2009.

Wouldn't have really impacted me (I live here) whether they were there or not. But National Harbor ain't that great and when Disney said it was pulling out awhile ago, I think its stock fell even more.

Funny enough, people already refer to it as a "Disney-fied" experience. Perhaps the worst thing about it for visitors is that is faaarrrrr from the attractions in Washington, and with no public transportation option.

Melanie
09-19-2012, 02:46 PM
But National Harbor ain't that great and when Disney said it was pulling out awhile ago, I think its stock fell even more.

Funny enough, people already refer to it as a "Disney-fied" experience. Perhaps the worst thing about it for visitors is that is faaarrrrr from the attractions in Washington, and with no public transportation option.

I COMPLETELY agree. We went to check it out a few weeks ago, and what a pain to get out there. And for what? A Mike Boogie restaurant (Ketchup)? Whoopee! There are many more just as nice places to shop in the DC area. I'm sure the Gaylord is nice, but just not worth the trip there. And until they restore "ICE" to traditional holiday (and not the Dreamworks cartoons) themes, we won't be visiting.

Although it would have been cool to have something "Disney" in the area, like you said, not a big deal. Awww, again reminded of Disney's America. Man, that could have been SO COOL! :sad:

Mendelson
09-19-2012, 03:07 PM
The Gaylord is pretty incredible and is quite pretty at Christmastime. But getting into ICE was awful and not worth the energy expended, you always have to pay for parking, and there is nothing super interesting there (although "The Awakening" sculpture is cool).

I think it draws some locals for whom its closer than driving into the city.

I wonder what was behind Disney's ultimate decision to pull out.

Melanie
09-19-2012, 03:13 PM
I wonder what was behind Disney's ultimate decision to pull out.

Uh, probably exactly the main point we're making. Ultimately, it's a pain to get out there!

figgie
09-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Oh, what a shame...I do like the shoe store there, but too expensive for my purse. And there is a bakery that sells gluten free cupcakes, and the Peeps store was fun. Guess it really was just too much of a hassle to get down there but would have been nice for a little Disney to be around DC area.

MNNHFLTX
09-19-2012, 05:44 PM
We drove here on our way out of DC last summer and I agree that it's too hard to get to from the rest of the sights in the area. And the parking--expensive!! Nice setting though.