PDA

View Full Version : Changes coming to Pirates of the Caribbean

Jared
09-19-2012, 10:41 AM
No, it isn't a recreation of the Blue Bayou, fit with a full bar. (Too soon?) ;)

According to the Disney Parks Blog, (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/09/ahoy-changes-are-afoot-at-pirates-of-the-caribbean-at-magic-kingdom-park/), changes are coming to Pirates of the Caribbean. Details are scarce at this point, but from what I understand, Imagineers are set to add mermaids to the caverns near the beginning of the ride.

I have never seen the fourth film and didn't even know it included mermaids, but that seems to be the takeaway here. Since this is all being done overnight, I wouldn't expect much else.

Mousemates
09-19-2012, 10:44 AM
No, it isn't a recreation of the Blue Bayou, fit with a full bar. (Too soon?) ;)

Certainly not too soon...when I saw the title of the thread I was going to give a little tongue in cheek remark along the same line. :thumbsup:

DisneyDINK
09-19-2012, 10:59 AM
They could probabbly dig up some old mermaids from Submarine Voyage or 20,000 Leagues or something, kinda like they did with America Sings and Splash Mountain with the birds.

Is Ariel available? No, she's probably too busy with her new ride and stage show and a meet-n-greet or two.

DizneyFreak2002
09-19-2012, 11:00 AM
There be mermaids in these waters...

SBETigg
09-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I think it's too soon. But this sounds like an interesting change. As long as they don't tip my boat over, I'm okay with it. :thumbsup:

Melanie
09-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Hmmm. Interesting indeed. But they were mean mermaids. ;)

JabberJaws
09-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Hmmm, considering they are doing this overnight, I am thinking that means no animatronics. (Seems like it would be difficult to add animatronics over a period of nights without disrupting the daily operation of the ride.) I suppose they could put up scrims or something to hide the spots where they are adding the mermaids.

If not animatronics, then maybe some kind of projection effect, though not sure how you would make an effective looking mermaid with a projection effect.

I wouldn't think they would use old mermaids from 20K or something like that, as the ones from the rides have a particular, sort of dangerous/wild feel to them.

Be interesting to see what happens with this, though I wouldn't expect it to blow anyone away. Still, nice to see them continue to plus the attraction.

DizneyFreak2002
09-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Hmmm, considering they are doing this overnight, I am thinking that means no animatronics. (Seems like it would be difficult to add animatronics over a period of nights without disrupting the daily operation of the ride.) I suppose they could put up scrims or something to hide the spots where they are adding the mermaids.

If not animatronics, then maybe some kind of projection effect, though not sure how you would make an effective looking mermaid with a projection effect.

I wouldn't think they would use old mermaids from 20K or something like that, as the ones from the rides have a particular, sort of dangerous/wild feel to them.

Be interesting to see what happens with this, though I wouldn't expect it to blow anyone away. Still, nice to see them continue to plus the attraction.

You hit the nail on the head... Supposedly the mermaids would be projections in the water with a reference to them somewhere along the way so you know they are there... Oh and probably somewhere in the cave scene... But who knows for sure? These were supposedly ready a few months ago but are now coming online... So, maybe there is an AA somewhere behind a tarp...

EDIT: apparently these are going to be figures, not projections... and not very friendly...

AgentC
09-19-2012, 12:39 PM
EDIT: apparently these are going to be figures, not projections... and not very friendly...

Great. Just what I need when I have finally convince my son to ride POTC. Scary mermaids! :(

Butters
09-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Sounds like a potential plus

Tekneek
09-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Yeah, they were scary mermaids. I haven't seen the film, but I recall some bits from the trailers. Reminds me that we should probably watch the film at least once before we go back to WDW.

Mousemates
09-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Anything but a completely scary, tempting and threatening mermaid would be completely out of place on the ride (especially where they are talking about doing it). In my opinion, the MK could use an infusion of some old school "scare the pants off the kids" Disney magic now that Snow White is gone.

Back in the day Snow White scared both me (way back in the seventies) and my both of my kids as they have grown up...but never so much that they weren't willing to ride it again. In fact, I kind of think dealing with and facing up to a few mild Disney scares as a child is helpful when dealing with more genuinely troublesome things as kids grow up.

So I say do it for the children and the scarier the better. :thumbsup:

Melanie
09-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Anything but a completely scary, tempting and threatening mermaid would be completely out of place on the ride (especially where they are talking about doing it).

I agree with this, I just think it could create some interesting situations when little Sally's mom tells her there are mermaids on the attraction and it's not Ariel, or Arista or Adella for that matter.

Dsnygirl
09-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Liking the idea, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Wish it'd be done before we all show up!!

Jared
09-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Liking the idea, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Wish it'd be done before we all show up!!
I suspect it will be done in early October. :)

BriarRose0708
09-19-2012, 04:52 PM
I agree with this, I just think it could create some interesting situations when little Sally's mom tells her there are mermaids on the attraction and it's not Ariel, or Arista or Adella for that matter.

Not to mention Aquata, Alana, or Andrina!

Never seen the fourth film but I wish this would stop. It's becoming too much for me.

AgentC
09-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Not to mention Aquata, Alana, or Andrina!

Never seen the fourth film but I wish this would stop. It's becoming too much for me.

I am terribly impressed that you watched more than the first. ;) Though I have to admit we've watched the cartoon a few times on the Disney channel.

And just to be clear scary really doesn't bother me. I'm used to my son refusing to go on many rides. Just cross your fingers for me that he grows out of it.

MNNHFLTX
09-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Will they be sitting the beach next to the crabs? :confused:

So mermaids, hmm....I will withhold judgement until I see what they've come up with.

Melanie
09-19-2012, 07:23 PM
You know what effect I wish they'd bring to Florida? The projection of the two pirates sword-fighting on the fortress walls. That is such an easy, but cool and enhancing, effect.

MinnieMommie
09-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks Jared. Sounds cool. I am imagining a very nice addition.

Altair
09-19-2012, 09:50 PM
It's going to start getting very crowded in there.
:pirate:

Wolf
09-20-2012, 09:43 AM
I wasn't interested in the 4th movie but from what I gather the mermaids are all I would've been interested in seeing, I'm just happy they aren't going to try to squeeze another modern charatcer into the ride. Dont get me wrong I love Johnny, but I think he's the only person they could ever work in and him not look like a sore thumb in there. When I read this I got very nervous they would try to work in that brown haired girl, who is stunning but I think that it would become alittle Madame Tussauds' quickly if they did that.

TL;DR (Too long didn't read)

I think this is happening Oct 9th for yall ICOT 15'ers I have in my park notes that POTC is closed that day, might that be the mermain implemention date? I hope its before cause I'd love to see them and thats the day I leave but if not yall will just have to let me know how they look :)

azcavalier
09-20-2012, 09:51 AM
The fourth movie was better than the 2nd or 3rd, but nothing is going to top the original. It's worth seeing.

Wolf
09-20-2012, 11:43 AM
The fourth movie was better than the 2nd or 3rd, but nothing is going to top the original. It's worth seeing.

See second and third trumped the first in spades to me, I am a huge costume designer though and spent half the movie fawning over the seapirates designs, the other half crooning over Davy Jones's and Cali's love story, I know I'm in the uber minority here but their story was my favorite by far. :pirate:

DizneyFreak2002
09-20-2012, 11:45 AM
See second and third trumped the first in spades to me, I am a huge costume designer though and spent half the movie fawning over the seapirates designs, the other half crooning over Davy Jones's and Cali's love story, I know I'm in the uber minority here but their story was my favorite by far. :pirate:

Nah, not in the minority at all.. Even though I loved the first one, I still found 2, 3 and 4 very enjoyable movies... In fact, I can say I enjoyed all 4 Pirates movies.. Now, I may be in the minority.. LoL.

Mrs Bus Driver
09-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Didn't care for 4 but loved 1, 2 and 3. 2 was my favorite. Every body has their favorites. :mickey:

dailyprincessme
09-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Hmmm. Interesting indeed. But they were mean mermaids. ;)

Mermaids are the new vampires...:eek2:

Wolf
09-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Mermaids are the new vampires...:eek2:

I'll take mean mermaids over fluffy vampires any day.

DizneyFreak2002
09-21-2012, 10:17 AM
I'll take mean mermaids over fluffy vampires any day.

I'll take mean mermaids of sparkling vampires any day.. :)

missastrocat
09-21-2012, 01:47 PM
I would like to request a mean, sparkly mermaid.

Wolf
09-21-2012, 02:22 PM
I would like to request a mean, sparkly mermaid.

Seconded!

bruin1344
09-21-2012, 09:50 PM
I wish they would make the WDW Pirates like the DL version.

TheVBs
09-22-2012, 08:14 AM
Sounds like a fun addition! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. :mickey:

Lindsey310
09-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Ooh I'm excited about this!! Guess it's going to be a minimal change since they are only closing it for one day. Another excuse to go back to WDW!! :mickey:

Lindsey310
09-22-2012, 08:56 AM

I haven't been to DL. What are the differences? :mickey:

Melanie
09-22-2012, 09:14 AM
I haven't been to DL. What are the differences? :mickey:

Quite the difference, and for me at least, riding in Florida after Disneyland is a letdown. The story is told more in-depth at Disneyland, as the ride itself is twice as long, with many more show scenes. There are 2 drops at DL, opposed to one in WDW.

Quadstriker
09-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Pirates DL is the nuts. It also holds the special honor of being the first Disney attraction I ever rode.

Stu29573
09-22-2012, 04:07 PM
WDW Pirates had the disadvantage of having to be shoe-horned into a place never designed for it. The Haunted Mansion was planned to be there from the start and it is bigger and better (ok, arguably) than DL. Imagine what would have been if Pirates had been in the plans from the beginning....

Aurora
09-24-2012, 05:39 PM

:ditto: The long, slow trip through the bayou at the beginning is worth the ride, IMHO.

Gator
09-29-2012, 06:56 PM
I think adding mermaids (the mean kind) will help give Pirates that scary feeling that it may have had once upon a time. I'm not sure my kids will love it, but I will :thumbsup:

Melanie
09-29-2012, 07:11 PM
:ditto: The long, slow trip through the bayou at the beginning is worth the ride, IMHO.

Agreed. It sets up the attraction so well.

Dopey's Girl
09-29-2012, 08:31 PM
Sounds interesting. I'm happy to hear we might get to see this in October.

I'm with everyone else...if they could make it like DL, that would be amazing. The west coast version makes WDW's look silly.

DisneyDawgette
09-29-2012, 09:18 PM
I just think it could create some interesting situations when little Sally's mom tells her there are mermaids on the attraction and it's not Ariel, or Arista or Adella for that matter.

Yes... but sometimes it takes a little coaxing to get kids onto rides. I know when I was little, my parents would have to elaborate a little to get me to do things that they knew I would enjoy (i.e, telling me that the movie Labyrinth had the Muppets in it because it was made by Jim Henson... no Muppets and a lot of David Bowie later, and I still love it!). Maybe I'm just going to be a terrible parent, but I think that being able to tell a kid there are mermaids on the ride to convince them to get on it, if they're most certainly going to enjoy it, may not be a terrible thing! ;)

texas211
09-30-2012, 08:07 PM
I've had enough of the altering the ride. I did like the Davey Jones more than blackbeard on the mist fall.

But, they need to add some music or something after the pirate w/ the key and before the fire scene. It's too quiet and you can hear the pneumatics.

Buttercup
10-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Soooo, it's October 10th!
Anybody been on the ride today that can update us on what's changed since they were closed yesterday doing the refurb?

AgentC
10-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Soooo, it's October 10th!
Anybody been on the ride today that can update us on what's changed since they were closed yesterday doing the refurb?

Several people reported on Twitter today that they rode and there were no changes. Lots of gossip on why nothing was done, but I have not seen any official reports.

Buttercup
10-10-2012, 07:32 PM
Hmmm... weird. Maybe they just haven't turned on the new effects.

Aurora
10-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Christine on another Pirates thread said they were having technical difficulties.

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=193592

DizneyFreak2002
10-11-2012, 07:07 PM
I was going to wait and post something special for my 20K post, but, well, i have nothing LOL... Nothing of major substance anyway... So, I'll use this post for my 20K post...

There are two changes coming: the mermaid and a skull rock... The skull rock is installed and waiting to be turned on... I believe it will wind up being a projection of shadow effect if I am not mistaken..

As for the mermaids, they are still coming... I don't know if they have already been installed (some say yes they have)... WDI does not like the effects so they haven't been turned on as WDI continues to work to get it right...

Mermaids are coming folks... Don't worry...

DizneyFreak2002
10-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Some reports are coming in today that the mermaids have been finally added to PotC... The reports state that they are in deed projections... They appear in the cave scene, with a projection or shadow of a Skull Mountain or Skull Rock... The songs that plays in the movie in the scene where the mermaids make an appearance plays in the attraction where the mermaids are...

So far there does seem to be a downside... The projections are only visible on the left hand side of the boat... And since they are projections, pictures and video are hard to get... People sitting on the right hand side won't be able to see the mermaid projections...

DizneyFreak2002
10-19-2012, 07:12 PM
A video has surfaced of the new projection... Cannot tell much from the video... Looks like a spot light shining on the water, so it may not video well... Here are the details:

Dead Men Tell No Tales loop has been replaced with the song the mermaids sing in PotC 4...

The mermaid projections start off right after the Blackbeard mist projection....

On the left hand side of the boat, the show scene had a mermaid skeleton in what appears to be a shipwrecked/broken apart boat...

Over all, eh.... but in fairness, can't really tell much about the projections in the video.. Not very video friendly it appears.... This is apparently something that needs to be seen in person to get the real sense of the effect...

SBETigg
10-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Dead Men Tell No Tales loop has been replaced with the song the mermaids sing in PotC 4...

Are you kidding me-- no more Dead Men Tell No Tales? That breaks my heart a little. How could they do that?

DizneyFreak2002
10-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Are you kidding me-- no more Dead Men Tell No Tales? That breaks my heart a little. How could they do that?

Reports say it is still there... just not on the loop like it used to be... So it isn't gone entirely...

Aurora
10-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Wow! I am a huge POTC geek and from what I saw of the video, it looks really cool. The music also makes that whole area a lot more eerie. I hope it's not just temporary and I get to see it in person.

SBETigg
10-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Reports say it is still there... just not on the loop like it used to be... So it isn't gone entirely...

Phew. Thanks! I can handle that. Feeling better.

Aurora
10-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Phew. Thanks! I can handle that. Feeling better.

If you do a YouTube search you can hear it once on the video, then the mermaid song comes in.