PDA

View Full Version : Menu Changes At Whispering Canyon Cafe 9/19

BriarRose0708
09-19-2012, 10:23 AM
The menus on the Disney Dining site have not been updated yet, but in speaking with a CP Cast Member who is a server at WCC (and reading similar news on another website), the following changes are being implemented today (September 19):

Lunch will still be a la carte but will no longer offer the Canyon Skillet.

Dinner will no longer offer a la carte items and will only offer an all-you-care-to-eat skillet. I don't have specifics, but was told that this version of the skillet will have more offerings than the previous skillet and will not include the salad. The mixed greens salad will be available as an appetizer to purchase separately at dinner, and there will be one or two other "starters" to buy. I wasn't told which dessert offerings come with the skillet but it's some kind of sampler like they have at Grand Floridian Cafe. Vegetarian and vegan options are available upon request at dinner. Same goes for food allergies and dietary restrictions.

Breakfast will remain the same.

Seems to me that WCC is taking the route of Liberty Tree. Offering an a la carte menu for lunch and family-style fixed price all-you-care-to-eat meal (or, more-than-you-care-to-eat as I like to call it) for dinner. I've never been here, so I have no opinion on how this will impact dining at WCC, but looks like another effort to get more customers in and out of the restaurant by streamlining the dinner offerings and increasing efficiency. I hope it doesn't mean cutting back on staff. Discuss.

Goes4FastPass
09-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Following the trend at all Walt Disney World restaurants, charging more and providing less,
Starting this week, Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge will be changing its menus. The most notable change is that the famous "all you care to eat" skillet will no longer be available at lunch.
At dinner, the skillet will become a "platter", that will include your choice of three of five meats offered (choose from ribs, chicken, sliced beef, fish, smoked sausage) plus four side dishes (mixed vegetables, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes and baked beans).
If you order platter "refills," you can choose any of the meats even if they were not one of the original three that you chose. Cornbread will still be included, but salad is not. A dessert sampler will also be included with dinner.

Melanie
09-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Following the trend at all Walt Disney World restaurants, charging more and providing less,
Starting this week, Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness Lodge will be changing its menus. The most notable change is that the famous "all you care to eat" skillet will no longer be available at lunch.
At dinner, the skillet will become a "platter", that will include your choice of three of five meats offered (choose from ribs, chicken, sliced beef, fish, smoked sausage) plus four side dishes (mixed vegetables, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes and baked beans).
If you order platter "refills," you can choose any of the meats even if they were not one of the original three that you chose. Cornbread will still be included, but salad is not. A dessert sampler will also be included with dinner.

And this is quoted from????

Minnie4me
09-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Disney is always doing things to mess up their restaurant menus.

I just hope they don't %$#! with Ohana.

That may just put an end to future Disney vacations....or at least cut them back.

Goes4FastPass
09-19-2012, 11:22 AM
C'mon, Mel, you know I'm not allowed to say but when it comes to menu changes at WDW, people who are all ears seem to usually get it right :tasty:

A Big Kid
09-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Here is another restaraunt that I will cross off my list. I hate all you can eat fare. HATE IT. You only have two choices:

1) Stuff yourself silly to get your money's worth from an overinflated price

2) Pay way too much money for too little food

I am begining to hate Disney:thedolls:

ETA: they have already RUINED breakfast by giving you only two choices - a buffet/all you can eat or a heatlamp warmed breakfast sandwich.

joonyer
09-19-2012, 11:37 AM
This is another example of what seems to be TDO's motto: "If it ain't broke, let's change it!"

BrerGnat
09-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Way back when WL first opened, WCC was set up this way. The ONLY dinner option was the skillet, and it was GOOD. They had 4 different sauces to choose from. I loved the sweet maple glaze the best.

I found that when they broadened the menu at dinner, the quality of the skillet went down. It is still good, but not as good as it used to be.

Hope that with this change, the skillet returns to its former glory.

I have never ordered "a la carte" at WCC because, quite frankly, why go all the way over to WL just to get the same kind of food you can get almost everywhere else? :confused: I go for the smoked meats. :thumbsup:

dizneydeb22
09-19-2012, 04:41 PM
I googled WCC menu changes and only came upon 3 threads, including this one. I guess we'll have to see. It doesn't matter to us anyway, we always get the skillet!

BriarRose0708
09-19-2012, 04:49 PM
I googled WCC menu changes and only came upon 3 threads, including this one. I guess we'll have to see. It doesn't matter to us anyway, we always get the skillet!

If you search one of the other two threads, there is a picture of the new lunch menu posted.

Jared
09-19-2012, 07:06 PM
I've heard rumblings that Beaches and Cream is up for a menu tweak as well today. Any truth to that rumor?

BriarRose0708
09-19-2012, 07:58 PM
I've heard rumblings that Beaches and Cream is up for a menu tweak as well today. Any truth to that rumor?

No idea. I did learn from my contact that Disney restaurants can possibly change their menus up to twice a year at specific times. She said other restaurants may see minor tweaks this week but thought that the WCC change would be the most impactful.

VWL Mom
09-19-2012, 08:13 PM

According to disney food blog Beaches & Cream, Rose & Crown (lunch) and Sci-Fi dinner all are being revamped. Actually, I think Sci-Fi & Rose & Crown are already changed on the Disney site.

TinkerbellT421
09-19-2012, 08:21 PM
According to disney food blog Beaches & Cream, Rose & Crown (lunch) and Sci-Fi dinner all are being revamped. Actually, I think Sci-Fi & Rose & Crown are already changed on the Disney site.

:jaw::pout: I really hope they don't remove the fish and chips from Rose & Crown! hoep they don't. Hange the menu too much at Beaches and Cream! love their current menu!!

As fas as WCC, tried it the first time this past trip in January. Had the skillet. Which was good, but our waitress was awful, which was my only complaint, so kind of eh on needing to return anytime soon. But, I maybe interested in trying this new set up. Will have to think about it for our next trip after this December trip.

BriarRose0708
09-19-2012, 09:40 PM

I thought they changed SciFi to an all day menu, what tweaks would they make at dinner if it's the same menu from open to close? Curious.

disneynarula
09-20-2012, 09:12 AM
If this is true I am glad I cancelled our ADR. Some of us were were planning on getting dishes other than the skillet.

We are not big meat eaters and the skillet does not appeal to me.

azcavalier
09-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Yep, this won't affect us one bit. We always go with the skillet here anyway, because there is something for everyone.

buzznwoodysmom
09-20-2012, 10:34 AM
WCC is one of our favorites in WDW. We always get the skillet so this won't affect us much, as long as it's still good.

mydisneygirls
09-20-2012, 10:38 AM
We have an ADR there next week and my daughter is going to be very disappointed as she was looking forward to the steak and I"m disappointed that salad is not included! Other than that, I do enjoy the meats in the skillet!

BrerGnat
09-20-2012, 11:25 AM
I"m disappointed that salad is not included!

I agree that is kind of a bad change. The salad was the only healthy part of the meal. :blush:

In seriousness, though, I love that salad. I will just have to pay extra for it from now on, I guess.

mydisneygirls
09-20-2012, 11:38 AM
I think they should have taken the baked beans away instead of the salad....toot toot! I just hope they still include the Sheriff Shakes with the dining plan!

cuteduck223
09-20-2012, 01:56 PM
i'm interested in the sci-fi changes too...not one of my favorites, but traveling with my brother who loves it...so...

darthmacho
09-20-2012, 04:12 PM
I know that some of the dining changes over the years have not been popular, and that I sympathize with anyone that feels the decision-making is on the decline, but I still feel that the dining at WDW is great as far as the food goes.I don't know if these changes at Whispering Canyon are for the best, but I think I'd still choose to dine there.

I honestly did not have one bad food experience at any sit-down restaurant this past trip. It was truly wonderful.

I do feel that the service could be better, because a lot of it was average at best, and a few servers seemed down-right despondent.

Keep in mind, this is all just my opinion.

Strmchsr
09-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Just received the menu update for dinner (this is just for dinner. My CM friend didn't have time to get the lunch menu for me yet, but it's still a la carte as reported. Also, I don't think the kid's menu changed, but trying to confirm). Here it is:

Appetizers

Western Chips - buffalo chili, cheese dip, and fresh salsa $11.99 (serves 2)

Yukon Potato Leek Soup - topped with candied smoked-bacon $7.49

Flash Fried Navajo Bread - with citrus-honey and tomato jam $5.49

Arugala and Mixed Greens Salad - Washington State apples, candied pecans, Rogue Blue Cheese, and apple cider vinaigrette $6.49

Smoked Salmon Quesadilla - with arugula, frisee, tomato, goat cheese, mozzarella and a side of pepperjam $11.99

Slow-Smoked Pork Spring Rolls - with Sweet Chili dipping sauce $11.49

Entrees

Family Platter $32.99/person (all you can eat)

Choice of Three:
Kansas City style Smoked Pork Ribs
Herb-baked Chicken
Hand-carved Oak-roasted Beef Strip Loin
Citrus-crusted Market Fish
Western-style sausage

Sides for Sharing
Seasonal Farm Fresh Vegetables, Herb-crusted Yukon Gold Potatoes, Cowboy-style Baked Beans, Corn on the Cob

Dessert Sampler Platter (included in price)
Whispering Canyon Chocolate Cake
Jalapeno-Lime Cheesecake
Apple-Cranberry Buckle

Strmchsr
09-21-2012, 12:55 PM
WDW has now updated the Whispering Canyon page with all of the new menus (including kid's options). You can see here (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/Media/InternetMediaType/Dining/WhisperingCanyonCafe/whispering-canyon-cafe-menu-dinner.pdf) the dinner menu or click here (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/whispering-canyon-cafe/) to choose one of the other options.

Septbride2002
09-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Well we will be cancelling our reservations in a few weeks. Sorry - I don't eat $32.99 worth of food. Also note the salad isn't included anymore so if you want a salad you'll need to add $5 to $8 to your meal. It is one thing to pay an inflated price for a character meal, but not for just standard BBQ. We were looking forward to this meal as we haven't been to WC in 5 years or so.

Not sure where we will eat now. I've said it before - as someone who does not participate in the dining plan I have found that the quality of the choices we are given has gone down hill. There are still some great resturants but I feel like Disney inflates the price of the sit down meal menus to make up the difference with those of us who don't use the plan to those that do. Also so that those that do use the plan feel like they are getting their money's worth as well. This inflation is also why we tend to do sit downs at lunch - when the prices are more reasonable.

More then likely we will end up eating at Counter Service which still offers some value.

~Amanda

A Big Kid
09-22-2012, 06:09 AM
Well we will be cancelling our reservations in a few weeks. Sorry - I don't eat $32.99 worth of food. Also note the salad isn't included anymore so if you want a salad you'll need to add $5 to $8 to your meal. It is one thing to pay an inflated price for a character meal, but not for just standard BBQ. We were looking forward to this meal as we haven't been to WC in 5 years or so.

Not sure where we will eat now. I've said it before - as someone who does not participate in the dining plan I have found that the quality of the choices we are given has gone down hill. There are still some great resturants but I feel like Disney inflates the price of the sit down meal menus to make up the difference with those of us who don't use the plan to those that do. Also so that those that do use the plan feel like they are getting their money's worth as well. This inflation is also why we tend to do sit downs at lunch - when the prices are more reasonable.

More then likely we will end up eating at Counter Service which still offers some value.

~Amanda I agree with you, Amanda. I avoid the all-you-can-eat and buffets because there is a huge gap between value and quality.

Our WDW vacations are becoming fewer, farther in between, and much shorter in duration because of such decisions.

BrerGnat
09-22-2012, 09:12 AM
No more pulled pork? No more brisket?

This looks like the same food they have at Liberty Tree and Garden Grill...

Not a fan. Although, the kids menu options are better now than they used to be. Ironic. Now that there is food my kid would like, there's not much I'd like.

Mickey'sGirl
09-22-2012, 09:17 AM
We did not enjoy WCC either time we tried it (for dinner), and I can honestly say that this change will likely ensure that we do not try it again.

AgentC
09-22-2012, 09:32 AM
We did not enjoy WCC either time we tried it (for dinner), and I can honestly say that this change will likely ensure that we do not try it again.

:ditto: I'm not a huge meat eater, so the menu doesn't appeal to me.

Jared
09-22-2012, 03:34 PM
:ditto: I'm not a huge meat eater, so the menu doesn't appeal to me.
In fairness, if you're not much of a meat eater, I don't see how it appealed to you before, either.

magicofdisney
09-22-2012, 03:45 PM

I was at Beaches and Cream last week. At the table next to us the couple was asking about the Strawberry Shortcake dessert. The server said it's now awful because they've made some recent changes to some of their recipes. :(

AgentC
09-22-2012, 04:37 PM
In fairness, if you're not much of a meat eater, I don't see how it appealed to you before, either.

Honestly, it was hard. My husband loves beef and pork especially ribs. It was great for him. Lots of salad and vegetables for me. Oh and the shakes. I think I may have filled up totally on that. :thumbsup:

I think the appetizers look good and I'd be happy with those, but it would be silly for me to pay $32.99 plus appetizers. The lunch menu is better for me.

But obviously there are people who love this kind of meal and there are more than enough places for me to eat,so it's all good. :)

ANG
09-23-2012, 08:10 PM
If dessert is included with the skillet meal, how does this work when you are on the dining plan? Cause desserts were separate?

TinkerbellT421
09-23-2012, 09:38 PM
If dessert is included with the skillet meal, how does this work when you are on the dining plan? Cause desserts were separate?

Would work no different than if you were going to be a buffet. It would be really bad bang for your buck to use the dinning plan for it.

disneynarula
09-24-2012, 08:55 AM
They used to have a couple non meat choices. I believe there was a pasta dish.

My MIL is a vegetarian and that is what she is going to get. I can't see using a dining credit for just the sides for her.

UGH

Now I am scrambling to find another ADR. I think I am going to try the Grand Floridian Cafe.

It seems to be that they are inflating the prices to try and force you to go with the dining plan.

BriarRose0708
09-24-2012, 09:10 AM
They used to have a couple non meat choices. I believe there was a pasta dish.

My MIL is a vegetarian and that is what she is going to get. I can't see using a dining credit for just the sides for her.

UGH

Now I am scrambling to find another ADR. I think I am going to try the Grand Floridian Cafe.

It seems to be that they are inflating the prices to try and force you to go with the dining plan.

There are vegetarian and vegan options available, you just have to mention it. I think (don't quote me) that the vegetarian dish is pasta with veggies and cream sauce. I don't know about the vegan options but usually the chef will make something special in this case. Like all Disney restaurants, they will be very accommodating.

azcavalier
09-24-2012, 09:18 AM

Desserts have always been included in the dining plan. This doesn't change anything. The dining plan is one entree, one drink, and one dessert. Appetizers are not included.

KylesMom
09-24-2012, 09:21 AM
It seems to be that they are inflating the prices to try and force you to go with the dining plan. We actually noticed this a few years ago, but didn't sweat it with the DDE discount card. Now that we're no longer A/P holders and that option is not available, I'm looking at dining in a completely different way for my upcoming trip. In looking at the new menus, wonder what's up with changing the "skillet" to "platter"?

Checkers
09-24-2012, 05:10 PM
We are going in a couple weeks and have ADRs there for a birthday party. I am not a big eater and wonder if you can just order an appetizer and a salad? Are you locked into getting the skillet? If this is the case I might just have to order vegetarian.

Strmchsr
09-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Are you locked into getting the skillet? If this is the case I might just have to order vegetarian.

If you're not on the DDP then you can certainly order an appetizer and salad.

Lindsey310
09-24-2012, 07:53 PM
The one and only time we ate here was in march 2012. Along with DH ribs came a huge long hair:sick::ack::ack::ack:

Needless to say, I was totally disgusted and will never eat here again :ack:

disneynarula
09-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Changed our ADR to lunch at Via Napoli instead.