The Cast:
DM: Darth Macho (41yo)
DW: Darth Wife (41yo)
DD1: Darth Daughter 1 (11yo)
DD2: Darth Daughter 2 (8yo)

The Stage:
Disney’s Hollywood Studios

The Report:
Despite the day of rest, I had a really hard time getting the family motivated on this morning, and we were just leaving for the bus when I was hoping to be waiting for the rope drop at DHS. The weather was also a concern, as there was the threat of thunderstorms all day. On last week's visit, we never made it onto Tower of Terror, so when we did arrive, we made that our priority, and thankfully it was only a 10-minute wait. DW will not ride ToT, so it was just the girls and I, and we got FP for RnR before we rode. They wanted to go on again, so I grabbed a FP, and then we got onto RnR, and DW decided to join us, the timing for getting on the rides and getting the FP was just right, and we got to take a nice water break before riding ToT the second time.

Having gotten in ToT, we discussed what to do next, and we decided that we’d do Star Tours for the third time of the trip before getting an early lunch at Back Lot Express. Star Tours was a 10-minute wait, but it was virtually a walk-on, and unfortunately it was similar to our first ride, with a Vader, Hoth, Leia, and Coruscant combo, and we were not picked to be the Rebel Spy. It was still a great ride, and at least Princess Leia was new.

Unfortunately, Back Lot Express was not open for another ½ hour, so we had to decide whether to wait, or eat somewhere else. Sadly, we got impatient and decided to eat at ABC Commissary again, which ended up being the only in-park QS we visited twice on the trip, not because we loved it, but because it was convenient. Having said that, this visit, like the first, was pretty good too. Again, the theming is not my favorite, but it was cool, quiet, and comfortable, and the food and service was not bad either. This often gets bad reviews, but I think it is just fine. I wish they’d overhaul the theme though, but I see why they’d want to plug ABC and it’s shows, so I’m okay with that too.

Meanwhile, after lunch, it was off to our second attempt to see Indy. Once again it was rain shortened, but this time we got to see 2/3 of the show. We still haven’t seen the whole thing in the past two trips due to rain, but we have worked our way up to most of it. Perhaps next trip we will get lucky, break our curse, and actually see the whole thing?

The afternoon was fairly relaxing, consisting of shows like Mermaid, the Backlot Tour, snacking on popcorn, and seeing Muppets again. I’m glad we got to see it again, because it’s a gem. The Backlot Tour could be replaced in my opinion, but it was nice to see it again. I don’t dislike it really.

It was time for our dinner ADR at Hollywood & Vine, so we picked up Star Tours FP on the walk there, and the girls enjoyed some Streetmosphere as I checked in. H&V is an old favorite, nothing spectacular, but a nice buffet that I’ve always enjoyed. Stay tuned for a review.

After dinner, we made it back for our FP a minute before it expired. I’m sure they would have given us a little leeway, but we made an effort to get there. It was just the DDs and myself, and though we didn’t get to be the Rebel Spy, we got a whole new ride this time with a different beginning, with trips to Tatooine and Naboo. This was our last ride, and although we didn’t see every possibility, we saw a great variety of scenes on our four attempts. I was very pleased with this ride update, and consider it a great improvement. The kids got a great kick out of the pre-show and safety spiels too. After the ride, the girls created their own custom droids, which was a cute activity. I thought about making one too, but I decided not to. I had fun watching them make theirs, and even helped them a little.

Unfortunately, just as we were leaving the store, the skies opened up and some heavy rains came. We spent the next hour sitting outside ABC Commissary trying to keep dry and wondering if Fantasmic would be cancelled. I was really bummed out because it didn’t look hopeful. I wandered off to see if I could get any info, but none of the CMs knew, and suggested I look for one with a radio, but of course they were nowhere to be found. I wanted to kill time by riding GMR, but the line was too long from people hiding from the rain. Unable to get answers, I suggested that the only way to find out for sure was to head over to the theatre and find out. While we were walking, a miracle of minor proportions took place, and it actually stopped raining! When we got to our destination, it appeared that things were going to go on as planned. We kept seeing storm clouds, and even lightning in the distance, but thankfully the rain stayed away long enough for the show to go on. I was so happy that my kids got to see it. Some people don’t like Fantasmic, but I think it is a wonderful show that really inspires the imagination. If only the pavilion in Epcot was that imaginative. I thought it was great that DDs got to see the show, and it was them that pointed out Steamboat Willie was actually piloting the riverboat in the show. I’m so happy they appreciated it. Amazingly, as soon as the show ended, it started to rain again. It wasn’t long, or heavy, but we definitely felt some drops. From there we headed back to the resort. It was a sad moment leaving DHS knowing it was the last visit to that park for the trip, but overall it was the most we had gotten out of that park on any of our vacations, so I can’t complain. The kids still haven’t seen to whole Indy show, we didn’t get in too much shopping, or see enough street performers for my liking, but we got in almost everything we wanted to over two days, including two rides on Toy Story Mania. I’m glad we put aside two days for this park, when previously we left after about a half-day. Star Tours was a big hit. I can’t wait to visit DHS again.

Stay tuned for more.
Also, I hope to catch up on some more Dining Reviews. I may combine a bunch, so as not to swamp the boards with them.

January-2007
09-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the trip report.

Dopey's Girl
09-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks again Darth! I'm really loving your reports!

faline
09-18-2012, 06:33 PM
You and your family really savored your time at Disney Studios. It's always bittersweet when you realize that time is growing short and more of your trip is behind you than ahead of you!

SBETigg
09-18-2012, 07:20 PM
Too bad about the Indy show. Maybe next time. I do love the Star Tours changes, if only it didn't make me feel sick. Also a bummer that the rain caused some concern on your last DHS day, but great that the show went on!

barnaby
09-18-2012, 09:11 PM
Love the reports. :thumbsup:
We were down there the same time (Aug 25 to Aug 31) at Pop in room 3101 right next to the bowling pin pool.
I am trying to get together some trip reports myself.

DisneyorBust
09-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Still enjoying your reports Darth! I know the feeling when you are leaving a particular park knowing thatit is your last visit for the trip. Bittersweet. But despite the rain, it seemed like you and yours had another great day together, glad you were able to take in Fantasmic!

amorillo
09-19-2012, 09:52 PM
Another great day. Your reports have been a wonderful break from obsessing about our upcoming trip! lol. thanks for sharing! :mickey:

yjgirl32
09-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Love reading your trip reports. Thanks for sharing.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the reports, keep them coming:mickey:

princessgirls
09-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Good day in the Studios. We always enjoy our time there. There again, when I'm planning a trip, I tend to short change the studios, but once there I find I don't want to go.

Julie:mickey:

pdrlkr
09-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: :rain:

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Muppets and Star Tours is our favs!!!

We will be trying to get to Indy and to Fantasmic this trip as we haven't seen those in many years.

Thanks!