PDA

View Full Version : Christmas party or not

Kaps
09-18-2012, 12:35 PM
My wife wants to go but I don't see the draw. At 60 bucks a head for Hot chocalate and cookies???? I don't see where that is worth spending an xtra 300 for a family of 6. I did the halloween party and it was crowded but nice there was still lines at the most popular rides wioth a decent wait.
Is there anything else that would make this worth the xtra expense?? I would go if I could justify it being more than just an extra magic hours with cookies?? Any ideas or opinions??

faline
09-18-2012, 12:42 PM
We've enjoyed going to the party but there are only 2 of us. Even with that, though, I'm finding that the value for the amount they are beginning to charge for tickets is beginning to tip away from attending.

retiredfigment
09-18-2012, 02:05 PM
We went a few years ago and was not overly impressed. The snow on Main St. was cute, but I can go to HS and get it for free at the Osborne Lights. We really enjoy MNSSHP so the Christmas party pales in comparison.

joonyer
09-18-2012, 02:59 PM
They also have a special parade and fireworks, but for a family of 6, it gets very difficult to justify the large expense. I'd have to pass.

buzznwoodysmom
09-18-2012, 05:23 PM
I guess I am in the minority here because I love the Christmas party. I love the Halloween one too, but I think the Christmas one is my favorite.

We've been 4 or 5 times, and decided to pass on it during our Christmas trip last year. Since we've been to it so many times it was tough to justify the cost for my family of 4. To be honest I sort of regretted not going. I love the special parade, fireworks, and we've always been lucky enough to experience shorter wait times for the rides than during the regular park hours. I really miss Mickey's T'was the night before Christmas show. That was a favorite of mine. We definitely don't go just for the fake snow, hot chocolate and cookies.

I would say if you've never been and your wife really wants to go, it's worth it to go at least once. We are supposed to be going to Disney for Thanksgiving 2013. My SIL and her family have never been to the Christmas party. It's at the top of our list of things we plan to do on that trip. So obviously I think it's worth it. LOL.

1DisneyNut
09-18-2012, 05:24 PM
We have thought about it several times but like others, couldn't justify the extra expense so we have always passed on it. I couldn't care less about the hot chocolate and cookies.

jnfr2424
09-18-2012, 06:30 PM
IMO everyone should experience MVMCP at least once but if it's is not in your budget or not justifiable then don't go -just go to DHS and check out the Osbourne Spectacle of Lights. It snows there as well and you can dance in the street. If your on a dining plan there goes your hot chocolate and cookies. Parade will be broadcasted anyways on Christmas Day on ABC.

ANG
09-18-2012, 07:32 PM
You are going to get mixed reviews on this. We did the xmas party once and never will again. Unfortunately, it was an extremely hot day in late December. Hard to enjoy fake snow falling when you are sweating. Plus that also kills the mood for cocoa. It was impossible for us to get a decent spot to view the parade. It just didn't do it for us.

I'll go to the MNSSHP any day!

kakn7294
09-18-2012, 11:39 PM
We went once and had a miserable time but that was due to certain persons that we traveled with. I would love to do it again!

HackLaSalle
09-18-2012, 11:45 PM
I would absolutely do the Christmas Parade unless you can go after they start doing the specialty fireworks and parade on the regular instead of just the party nights. I don't remember when exactly that is. But if you're trip falls during that time just enjoy the parade and fireworks for free.

Seriously, the only reason to go is for the parade and fireworks. IMHO.

Kaps
09-19-2012, 08:51 AM
I will probably skip thanks for the feedback

minnie04
09-19-2012, 09:26 AM
We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Christmas one. I can justify the price because that’s all we do when we go. We make it a point to go at Xmas because the entrance tickets are cheaper than regular day tickets. With a family of 5 (plus DD boyfriend) we save on money doing the Xmas party. It has over the years gotten more expensive, but still worth it. I also love all the decorations and the feeling in the park during the night. We’re not able to do it this year so we opted to do the Halloween party instead. I'm looking forward to being there for that one. :mickey:

to be honest we always forget about the hot chocolate and cookies... lol

Mousemates
09-19-2012, 10:59 AM
We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Christmas one. I can justify the price because that’s all we do when we go. We make it a point to go at Xmas because the entrance tickets are cheaper than regular day tickets. With a family of 5 (plus DD boyfriend) we save on money doing the Xmas party. It has over the years gotten more expensive, but still worth it. I also love all the decorations and the feeling in the park during the night. We’re not able to do it this year so we opted to do the Halloween party instead. I'm looking forward to being there for that one. :mickey:

to be honest we always forget about the hot chocolate and cookies... lol

I like your approach...we have taken a similar approach to other hard ticket events. I also agree with your thots on the decorations, there is no place that can put me in the Christmas spirit as quickly as the MK in full holiday regalia.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
09-19-2012, 04:37 PM
The first time my DW and I attended was back in 1999. They gave you a souvenir button and as I recall you could get your picture taken against a simple backdrop, which was then mailed to you (pre digital days).

We enjoyed it, and did it one other time, but then again it was just the two of us. We were down there in 2010 in December, now with 3DD in tow and we passed on it. We are going again this Nov/Dec and once again will pass on it. It just isn't worth $300+ dollars for what amounts to a half day in the MK.

Basically you get a few stage shows that you wouldn't normally see, plus the Christmas Day parade and some fake snow. Is it nice, yeah, its great, is it worth the money grab Disney is pulling by charging that much for so little, no.

Also, the transformation at Christmas isn't that great. The castle will already have the icicle lights, main street will have the garlands and wreathes, the deluxe resorts will be decorated, you have Osborne family lights at DHS and Candlelight Processional at Epcot, so shelling out another $300+ for what I would perceive to be little value doesn't make sense. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the MVMCP and would love to take the kids to it, but for the price gouging, I can't even come close to justifying it.

As long as I'm on a rant, what does bother me is that when you look at the dates for MVMCP, you realize that from start to finish, that it goes on about 50% of the nights. So when I'm down there for 10 nights I realize that my access to the MK has been cut in half, yet I see no reduction in park prices to offset that. I think its become such a huge money grab for them, that I wouldn't be surprised to see them do it almost every night except for weekends.

A rare Disney rant, but it feels more like Scrooge McDuck is behind this.

Katzateer
09-20-2012, 08:07 AM
We went for 10 years in a row the first week of December. There were 5 of us.

You can enter the park at 4pm. We would eat at Konas before the party, be at the park entrance a little before 4 and then treat it like a park day. You are in the park for about 7 hours. So I think it is worth it.

We don't spend time eating a meal - just get snacks. The parade, decorations and special fireworks and shows are worth it. And lots of special photos - Cinderella and her coach ( and Prince).

And love the snow on Main Street!! Everyone should experience it once!