PDA

View Full Version : 10 years in the planning Day 3 part 2. A (nearly) perfect day

K8screen
09-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Cast:
Me Old enough to know better
DBF Still improving with age

Dont worry, all the episodes of this report wont be as long as these first few, but I had to share the way things turned out with you guys, after all my worrying, and your helpful suggestions. Thanks for listening.
As we had been watching the first POTC movie on TV when he had finally okayed the trip, I wanted to start with POTC. However, a friend of mine had said that the little drop at the start had scared her so much she went on almost nothing for the rest of the trip, so I thought I should warn him, (yes YOU know its tiny and I know its tiny, but hey...). However by the time he had walked up Main Street grinning like a crazy person and photographing everything, he agreed to give it a go. Now remember, this is the first time he had been on ANY theme park ride, except for the occasional local carnival when he was a kid. But he loved every second of it! He told me he had never imagined anything as clever as this.
And so the day progressed, we rode pretty much everything including BTM, which he said he liked, but didnt want to ride again (he does try!) but he didnt fancy SpM, and I thought SM was pushing it, so I rode those alone on FP while he got us a coffee. And we had Dole Whips! I had never had one before believe it or not. Now I see what you all go on about. YUM!
I had made a lunch ressie at LTT which was great, although again the portions were too big for us, and then we had the best spot I have ever had for the afternoon parade (at the end of the bridge by the castle) and all in all, the day was even more wonderful than I had hoped. A great start to the trip.
HOWEVER, there were a few things I noticed that bothered me. On SpM there didnt seem to be as much going on as I remebered. I dont think the water jets across the logs were working for instance (should they be at the frogs?) SM was MUCH rougher than I remembered. I had 2 FPs as DBF didnt ride, but I gave one away as, though I love coasters, I felt the shaking about was now really unpleasant. Has it got rougher, or are we just used to the smoothness of modern metal coasters?
But the biggest disappointment was in Fantasyland. I know that the building work will improve the area, but years ago I dont think there would have been just the huge ugly pieces of wood fencing off the construction site. There would have been themed scrims, or at least themed painting on the pieces of wood. Walking a LONG way past these ugly fences certainly spoiled the illusion.
Also in fantasyland we experienced something else that I dont think would have happened on my first visits. In those days if you asked any CM a simple question about the park, they would almost always know the answer, or if they didnt they would quickly get hold of someone who did, on the radio if necessary. In Fantasyland we asked 2 separate CMs, about 10 minutes apart, where the entrance to the Pooh ride was. Both just gazed around, looked at us as if we had asked for directions to the moon, said they didnt know, waved vaguely in the wrong direction, and turned away.
But these were minor quibbles and didnt spoil our wonderful first Disney day. We left the park about 7 oclock, tired but very happy. That night I slept like a log.

T-Belle
09-16-2012, 12:00 PM
I remember how you worried about getting him on POTC. So glad he enjoyed it. I'm sorry you had difficulties with a couple CM's. Hope that was the only time. I agree with you about SM. I don't know if it's because I'm older or what but it does seem to be more "jerky" than when I was younger.

SBETigg
09-16-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm so happy for you that he enjoyed the day and you had such a good time. Though, yes, there are the occasional quibbles. Overall, though, amazing to see it through someone else's eyes and how fun!

faline
09-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Terrific Magic Kingdom Day! Sounds like it was fun for BOTH of you!!

Dopey's Girl
09-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Aside from the ugly construction walls and unhelpful CM, that sounds like a near perfect MK day! I'm so glad he is having fun!

disneynarula
09-17-2012, 06:10 AM
When I was a castmember you were never allowed to say "I don't know". If you did not know an answer you always said "let me find out for you" and then you did.

K8screen
09-17-2012, 08:01 AM
When I was a castmember you were never allowed to say "I don't know". If you did not know an answer you always said "let me find out for you" and then you did.

Thats exactly how I remember it. Thanks. And I cant imagine how anyone could work in Fantasyland without even having the vaguest notion of the layout.

Auntie B
09-17-2012, 10:06 AM
What a nearly perfect MK day! Great reporting!

DisneyorBust
09-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Enjoying your reports. Can feel your excitement, don't stop!

January-2007
09-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks for reporting.

Dsnygirl
09-24-2012, 10:01 PM
What a wonderful first day!! Too bad about the CM's, but I agree -- I think it used to be that nearly every one of them not only knew the answers, but stories to add... I'm thinking maybe they have so many new CM's, or college-trained (and thus not as immersed) ones that sometimes you just don't get the same magic. So glad to hear he liked POTC, and I agree with you on the jerkiness of SM - it does seem moreso over the years. So glad today was a great start for you guys!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Good report thanks:D

pdrlkr
09-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: