PDA

View Full Version : DMacho's Dining Review: La Hacienda and Liberty Inn

darthmacho
09-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Liberty Inn
Epcot’s World Showcase
Meal: Lunch

Food: 3.5/5
With all of the places to choose from in World Showcase, a “traditional” American menu consisting of burgers, chicken, and hot dogs was certainly nothing to get excited about. Not until DD1 discovered that she could get steak! All of the food was pretty good, even the steak, so there was no real complaint.

Service: 4/5
The service here was friendly, helpful, and seemed generally glad to have us there. I don’t know what crowds are like under normal circumstances, but the CMs seemed to be actively attempting to recruit customers on what appeared to be a low crowd day in World Showcase.

Atmosphere: 4/5
For quick serve dining, crowds can make or break the experience. The dining area was spacious, well themed, and comfortable. I wonder how it would be, say, mid-day on the Fourth of July? Probably not so good? As for us, combine a low crowd day and our new habit of eating lunch early, and this was as comfortable as one could get our of WDW counter service dining.

Overall: 4/5
This may seem high, but again, I think the food was decent, the service was great, and the dining room was comfortable. It was everything we could as for from a WDW counter service restaurant. Overall, the experience far exceeded my expectations on that day.

La Hacienda de San Angel
Epcot’s World Showcase
Meal: Dinner & Illuminations

Food: 4.5/5
This is what DW and I ordered at La Hacienda: Puerco en Salsa de Mole Negro - Roasted pork tender loin with mole negro sauce, served with esquites (roasted corn), sweet potato mash, beans and vegetables. - $25.95
It was every bit as delicious as it sounds. I usually order something with mole at Mexican restaurants and this did not disappoint one bit. DD1 ordered Pollo el Pastor, and DD2 had the kids Quesadilla. Everything was excellent. The desserts were great too. I had something that was like a decadent chocolate crème brulee, the name of which escapes me, but it was one of the better desserts of the trip. I also tried the Avocado Margarita, and thought it was decent.

Service: 4/5
Our waitress, Pamela, was nice, and very good. I also gave her some bonus points for reassuring us that we could sit, linger, and comfortably watch Illuminations with no problem. She even slowed her pace a bit, which normally I wouldn’t care for, but was appropriate here.

Atmosphere: 4/5
The dining room is beautiful, comfortable, and affords you wonderful views of the World Showcase through enormous windows. I think I still prefer the cozy, faux dining-under-the-moonlight-by-the-river at San Angel Inn better, but having a comfortable place to watch Illuminations cannot be beat. The view of the show was not perfect, but the noise level was perfect because the music was piped in and the fireworks muffled a bit. I’ve had some poor spots for this show before, so this was actually one of the better ones I’ve ever had, and it was certainly more comfortable, and we had something to do while we were waiting for the show.

Overall: 4.5/5
Overall I have to rate our experience at La Hacienda de San Angel very high, because it really was the complete package. I may have rated I a 5, but I wanted to reserve that number for Artist Point only. Keep in mind that I love Mexican food, and if I can get a good meal with mole, I will be easily satisfied. Chocolate crème brulee, certainly helped push it over the top. As I have mentioned, the addition of having somewhere to watch Illuminations was so good.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-16-2012, 10:41 AM
Oh this sounds great, I love Mexican food we'll have to try this one next time.

SBETigg
09-16-2012, 11:43 AM
I doubt I will ever try Liberty Inn because it sounds pretty similar to food you can find in any park and I like to go for the more unusual offerings in WS. But glad it was good.

Hacienda sounds like a good time. It's on my list to try. Thanks for the reviews.

darthmacho
09-16-2012, 12:42 PM
I doubt I will ever try Liberty Inn because it sounds pretty similar to food you can find in any park and I like to go for the more unusual offerings in WS. But glad it was good.

Hacienda sounds like a good time. It's on my list to try. Thanks for the reviews.

That's pretty much why I never considered eating here before. It was the kids that wanted to go there, so I thought it was worth trying. I would have preferred eating in China.

SBETigg
09-16-2012, 12:52 PM
That's pretty much why I never considered eating here before. It was the kids that wanted to go there, so I thought it was worth trying. I would have preferred eating in China.

Understandable. With kids, you do for them what you wouldn't do on your own and it's all good.

Madame Leona
09-16-2012, 01:55 PM
We ate at Liberty Inn because I have an EXTREMELY picky eater. I have to say, I LOVED the pulled pork sandwich. Of course my picky eater HATED the mac cheese :blush: I ended up just buying him a Mickey Pretzel.

Pop Centurion
09-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Great review. Glad you enjoyed La Hacienda. We ate there last year for Illuminations as well & it was our best overall dining experience. Even my wife who's a very picky eater loved it. Food, ambience, & servive were all top notch.

DisneyorBust
09-18-2012, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the review. DW and I are looking forward to giving La Hacienda a try, not our November trip unfortunately. Hopefully we can get there next year. In regards to the Liberty Inn, I'm glad to see that you had a good experience there. A question, what sort of steak did your daughter enjoy there? I don't recall it being on the menu the last time that I had lunch there. Curious, as my eldest DD considers the Liberty Inn a "must do" and happens to be a serious carnivore.....:D

Mickey'sGirl
09-18-2012, 11:36 AM
I can't bring myself to keep a reservation at the Liberty Tavern (the Stouffers Turkey diner does not appeal to any of my family) ... maybe one day for lunch.

Nice that you could linger and enjoy your Hacienda meal!

darthmacho
09-18-2012, 02:54 PM
I can't bring myself to keep a reservation at the Liberty Tavern (the Stouffers Turkey diner does not appeal to any of my family) ... maybe one day for lunch.

Nice that you could linger and enjoy your Hacienda meal!

I think you are confusing Liberty Inn, an Epcot quick serve, with Liberty Tavern, a Magic Kingdom sit-down? In any case, I feel the same way you do. A thanksgiving style meal just seems too heavy for a day at a theme park.

January-2007
09-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the review.

amorillo
09-19-2012, 09:33 PM
La Hacienda sounds wonderful! All my husband had to do was look at the menu and he was in! Now i'm all the more excited for our first trip here!

Crow
09-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Liberty Inn is almost the only place in WS i havent tried other than LH...
glad they turned out ok