PDA

View Full Version : 10 years in the planning Day 1 Delays and Worries

K8screen
09-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Cast
Me (nearly retired)
DBF (retired but busier than ever)

Its a long time since I posted my pretrip report, so a brief recap. I visited WDW several times when my kids were young, but I have been trying for 10 years to get DBF to go with me. He has never travelled further than Spain from our home in Scotland, and even that took some persuading. Over the years, family and work problems, and his reluctance to travel so far, and his firm belief that WDW and Florida in general was all about "little kids and/or big scary rides" had always got in the way, although I had been over once with my now grown up DD2. Finally, this year, the trip was booked, 14 days off site, all planned out by me, with options in case he really hated the parks etc.
As the time got nearer he said (when asked) he was really looking forward to it, but it was obvious he was only doing it for me.
The plan was that I would finish work at 12, and we would drive down to a hotel in Manchester and fly out the next day.
At work that morning I couldnt settle to anything, still convinced that something would go wrong, and the trip would be off. 10 minutes before I left I got a text from DBF that some important paper work had just arrived and he might be a "few minutes" late. When I got home he was not there, and I spent the next 2 hours pacing up and down, making cups of tea, convinced it was all off, though I got several more reassuring texts that he would arrive eventually. By the time he finally arrived, I had almost given up hope.
We drove down to Manchester, with me hardly daring to believe this was really happening, expecting at any second the phone would ring and we would have to turn back.
We stopped for coffee on the motorway, and we relaxed a bit, as my plan to go out in Manchester that night was now out of the question. He seemed pretty cheerful, but was clearly still not entirely convinced the trip was a good idea, though he was putting a brave face on it for me.
We got to the hotel, had a nice meal disturbed only by 1 half hour work call he received, and went to bed, with me praying that we would get on that plane next day, and that at some point the pixie dust would kick in for him.

Brer_Fox
09-15-2012, 11:37 AM
I have dealt with my own share of doubters myself over the years who for there own reasons didnt understand how I could get so excited about Disney.

I always asked them if they had ever been there which almost always came with the same response "NO". I would tell them, come talk to me about this after they had visited Disney and then let me know how they felt.

I can honestly say that I have turned a large majority of people into Disney believers over the years even having some send me a text message after just being down there one day saying that they totally get it now.

So people need to be immersed in that environment to understand. I am sure wants your DBF witnesses Disney first hand he will understand.:magic:

Here's some pixie dust to help:
:pixie::pixie::pixie:

SBETigg
09-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Oh wow, the stakes are high! I am really hoping to read how much he loved it once you arrived. I can imagine the worry in advance.

Jillirose
09-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Can't wait to hear how he likes it :mickey:

Disneymom4ever
09-15-2012, 01:12 PM
This is both exciting and suspensful! Hope it turns out well, can't wait to hear more. :mickey:

faline
09-15-2012, 04:23 PM
What a cliffhanger!! I do hope that the flight and all went well!

January-2007
09-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Here's hoping for a fabulous vacation!

K8screen
09-16-2012, 06:15 AM
Thanks everyone. Am just about to write episode 2

T-Belle
09-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Yeah, you're here!! I remember your pretrip and your trepidation about this trip. Can't wait to read all about it!!

Dopey's Girl
09-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Wow...I'm hooked now! 10 years of planning is a lot of pressure for you!

DisneyorBust
09-18-2012, 08:03 AM
As an optomist, I'm expecting the best but..... hopefully things will work out as planned. Off to the next report!

taleasoldastime
09-18-2012, 05:09 PM
I love this thread! (I know im late)
Im going in january with my DBF and he is a non believer thats never been there. I know he will change his mind!
Good luck!

Dsnygirl
09-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Looking forward to hearing how everything goes -- keeping fingers crossed the pixie dust kicks in!! :)

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Oh my the anticipation:blush: I bet he loves it:mickey:

pdrlkr
09-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: