The Cast:
DM: Darth Macho (41yo)
DW: Darth Wife (41yo)
DD1: Darth Daughter 1 (11yo)
DD2: Darth Daughter 2 (8yo)

The Stage:
Epcot, World Showcase, Mexico to USA

The Report:

Today’s wake-up call was 9AM, and we got to Epcot a little after 11AM for the opening of World Showcase. Our goal was to spend the day visiting only one side, from Mexico to USA, and saving the rest for another day, giving us time to explore each pavilion thoroughly. We started at our favorite, Mexico, where we jumped on the Gran Fiesta Tour. This was our second trip with the Caballeros version, and DW says she misses the old song. I do to, but I really like the new song too, so I can’t complain, plus I like the characters, so much so that one of the four t-shirts I bought this trip was the Three Caballeros. We explored the pavilion thoroughly and upon exiting, we got to watch the first performance of the day from my favorite World Showcase act, Mariachi Cobre!

We were getting hungry, and while Mexican food was appealing, we were going to be having dinner at La Hacienda later that night, so we thought we should try another pavilion on this half of the world. After some debate, we narrowed it down to China or USA, and we ended up going with the latter, even though it was the furthest of the choices. We had a nice and quiet lunch at Liberty Inn, and then watched the Voices of Liberty before experiencing the American Adventure. It has been some time since we’ve seen either, and it was the first time for the kids, and I’m glad to say both were impressive!

We decided to make our way back towards Mexico, starting with Italy, however after enjoying some Italian wine and sniffing some perfumes, we were sidetracked by the Agent P game. I wanted to save it for after we had seen each pavilion, but DW said that DD2 was asking about it, so I signed us up and we began in Germany, which was the next country anyway. It was a fun game, but there was a lot of talking coming from the phone, and although we saw a lot of unique WS features thanks to the game, it really distracted me from seeing the pavilion the way I wanted to. Next time I’ll wait until we get through the pavilions before we play the game.

As we were about to start the Norway mission, a sad thing happened, when DD2 discovered that she had taken off her pin lanyard and it was missing. We traced it back to Italy, but when we asked the wine store clerk if anyone had turned it in, she didn’t seem to have a clue as to what I was even talking about, so we figured someone had found them and taken them. Now I know my DD, and while outwardly she seemed to take it well, I could tell that she was really bummed about losing her precious pin collection, so it was as devastating to me to see the sadness in her eyes. Thankfully, they were just material things, and I suggested we continue with our game as a distraction. I was contemplating whether I should replace the lost ones, or just start a new collection at this point.

I wanted to head for the mission in China, which was next door, but the kids wanted to play the Norway mission. It was fun, but tedious and time consuming, so I suggested we wrap up the game and get back to exploring World Showcase the more traditional way. We checked out China and Norway, riding Maelstrom (we skipped the movie), before I stopped in the bakery to pick up two treats that I had been anxious to try, School Bread and a Troll Horn. They were both okay, but neither was as good as I had imagined. The Troll Horn was decent and the School Bread was okay, but I thought the bread was pretty dry. I’m more of a fluffy pastry guy, I suppose. I probably wouldn’t go out of my way to get either again, but I’m glad I tried them.

We were only about 90 minutes away from our ADR at La Hacienda, but the kids were hungry, so we ended up getting some nachos to tide them over. We sat and ate them on the outdoor patio, where the ibis and ducks harassed us and the other guests. We had some time before dinner, so we cooled off inside the pavilion, ad DW shopped as the kids and I rode Gran Fiesta again.

Afterwards, we ate at La Hacienda. I was concerned that our 7:30 ADR time was too early for Illuminations (it was the suggested time when I made the reservation) but our waitress assured us it would be okay to linger. As we were eating a delicious meal, I noticed that there were available tables for walk-ups, which made me feel a lot better about dragging out dinner for this viewing spot. It wasn’t a perfect view, but it was comfortable and kept us busy while we were waiting. We always pick a bad spot anyway, so I’d say this was one of the best. It sounded good too because the music carried well inside and the fireworks were a little muffled, giving us the best of both worlds. I’m glad I decided to book it this way. We were so comfortable, in fact, that the show seemed to fly by, and next thing I knew, we were heading out after another awesome day at World Showcase.

The only thing that went wrong was DD losing her pin lanyard. I called as soon as we got back to the room, but unfortunately Lost & Found was closed (it closes at 7pm), so I promised to look into it tomorrow. To be honest, I found it unlikely that we’d ever see them again, but I had to try. I figured we’d shell out the money and just replace the pins. Luckily, we had a photo of her wearing it before she lost them, so I knew what they were. We decided it was late and we turned in, knowing we were going to have 7Am wake-up calls for the next three days.

Stay tuned for more!

SBETigg
09-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Oh no, the lanyard! I'm going to stay tuned and hold out hope that you get it back. Regarding School Bread, I'm not a fan, either. I guess I thought it would be like a glazed donut, with that airy texture, but it's actually that heavy bread. At least you tried it.

princessgirls
09-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Nice relaxing World Showcase day Darth!!!

Good for you guys!

Thanks for the report!

Julie:mickey:

amorillo
09-14-2012, 05:44 PM
anxious to read your review of la hacienda, we are trying dinner there for the first time in october.

that stinks about the lanyard... hope you eventually got to talk to lost and found. several years ago, on a big family trip, my brother had two strollers taken at btmrr and my niece had her lanyard in the bottom. at the end of the night we reported it to lost and found... not only did the strollers and the lanyard turn up the next day... but the lanyard was filled with special CM pins! :thumbsup: gotta love disney magic! hope things turned out ok for you.

darthmacho
09-14-2012, 05:48 PM
anxious to read your review of la hacienda, we are trying dinner there for the first time in october.

that stinks about the lanyard... hope you eventually got to talk to lost and found. several years ago, on a big family trip, my brother had two strollers taken at btmrr and my niece had her lanyard in the bottom. at the end of the night we reported it to lost and found... not only did the strollers and the lanyard turn up the next day... but the lanyard was filled with special CM pins! :thumbsup: gotta love disney magic! hope things turned out ok for you.

I'll try to get the review of La Hacienda in this weekend. I will tell you now though that it will be a good one. I'm going to post another trip report now that will update the status of the lanyard. :secret:

faline
09-14-2012, 07:00 PM
We ate at La Hacienda on our last trip and were surprised at how much we enjoyed it. The food was ample and the price wasn't bad as well. We had not booked our reservation late enough to linger for the fireworks but thoroughly enjoyed our time and would definitely return.

January-2007
09-14-2012, 09:42 PM
We bought DS a Three Caballeros t-shirt in Mexico too and he loves wearing it. I didn't get all the hype over School Bread either when I tried it a few years back. Thanks for reporting.

DisneyorBust
09-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Here's hoping that the lanyard makes a return appearance! I am looking forward to your review of La Hacienda, seems like an interesting restaurant.

Dopey's Girl
09-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Bummer about the pins! Other than that, sounds like a great day!

Jennifer_and_Chris
09-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Oh, I hope the Lanyards show up!

I've been planning to try this ever elusive school bread but, never have. We'll see if we make it this year. I just seem to always be interested in eating something else.

Sounds like you had a great meal and view of Illuminations.

off to read more...:thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the report, world showcase is my favorite part of Epcot...hoping the lanyard is found too

pdrlkr
09-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: