PDA

View Full Version : SouthWest Airlines and Carseats

faberj
09-13-2012, 11:06 AM
I have a Britax Decathalon car seat for my 2 year old DS. has anyone traveled on an airplane with this type of car seat??? Did you have any issues getting it installed on the plane?

Itchy
09-13-2012, 11:31 AM
I dont think that airlines allow car seats used on the planes. On my last trip the parents were holding there small child ( 1 to 2 yrs old ) on their laps.

I could be wrong so I would suggest you go to Southwests web site and see what their policys are.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

mook3y
09-13-2012, 12:41 PM
we have used car seats when traveling with our little ones.

To be guaranteed a seat to use the car seat in you have to purchase one.

From Southwest's website:

If you're traveling with an infant or small child, you should know that proper use of a Child Restraint System (CRS) enhances child safety on aircraft. For this reason, Southwest Airlines and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) strongly recommend that infants and small children who weigh under 40 pounds be secured in an appropriate CRD when traveling by air. See below for additional information.

Since it looks like your carseat is 18" wide and most seats are 16" wide, you will have to raise the arms to get the seat in.

BrerGnat
09-13-2012, 12:43 PM
I dont think that airlines allow car seats used on the planes. On my last trip the parents were holding there small child ( 1 to 2 yrs old ) on their laps.

I could be wrong so I would suggest you go to Southwests web site and see what their policys are.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

That is incorrect. All airlines must permit the use of FAA certified carseats on planes, as long as the passenger holds a valid seat ticket. Children 2 and under are allowed to travel as "lap babies" on flights free of charge, and that is an option if you are willing to take the risk.

OP, I have used nothing larger than a Britax Roundabout on a Southwest plane, and let me tell you...that was a TIGHT fit (the roundabout is Britax's smallest carseat too).

I do know that all Britax car seats are FAA certified, so it isn't a matter of whether it's allowed or not, but how well it will fit and how easy or difficult it will be to install.

After our experience with the Roundabout, we bought new car seats (Sunshine Kids Radians). Those are SO much easier to install on a plane.

Measure the seat width and then compare it to Southwest's specs for the type of plane you will be flying on. Ideally, the seat needs to be 1-2 inches narrower than the width of the seat.

BrerGnat
09-13-2012, 12:51 PM
duplicate...oops

BrerGnat
09-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Since it looks like your carseat is 18" wide and most seats are 16" wide, you will have to raise the arms to get the seat in.

Eek. That is pushing it. Southwest's rule is that carseats MUST go in the window seat. Since the wall of the plane is there, and you cannot raise that armrest, that seat may not fit.

OP, I'd recommend getting a different seat for travel. We purchased (and still use in the car for our 6 year old) Sunshine Radian 80 carseats. These are GREAT for air travel! They fold up and you can carry it like a backpack.

Itchy
09-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks BrerGnat for correcting me. It just shows that you are never to old to learn something. I have never flown with small children myself.

Last week we had a little one that screamed for an 1 1/2 hrs of a 2 hr flight. He was right behind us.

Well we survived but no metal...:blush:

disneynarula
09-14-2012, 02:23 PM
We have a Britax and had a hard time getting it installed on the plane. It fit...but it was really tight. If you don't travel by air a lot it is probably not practical to buy a new car seat.