PDA

View Full Version : Two contracts, one vacation?

O'MalleytheAlleyCat
09-12-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm sure the answer to this is somewhere in this forum, but I'm feeling a bit lazy this morning and hopeful that someone will know the answer right off the top of their head! I'm thinking of purchasing a smaller second DVC contract. If I have two contracts (say with 2 different home resorts and 2 different use years) when I go to book a vacation, can I combine points for my stay? I know I can book full nights with either contract, but suppose I need 41 points to book the last night of my stay and I only have 30 points left in my original contract for the year, and maybe have that second contract that has 30 points on it. Can I combine points from the 2 contracts to book that one night (30 points from one contract and 11 points from the other for the 41 points) or does each night need to be booked from either one contract or the other? I hope this makes sense to someone!

VWL Mom
09-12-2012, 11:29 AM
With 2 contracts, 2 different home resorts, and 2 different use years you could transfer the 11 points but would not be able to use them until the 7 month mark. You are allowed one transfer per year so keep that in mind. The transfer would count as the transfer for both accounts, one in and one out.

Aurora
09-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Don't forget that you can always borrow from next year's points if you want to avoid transferring from one contract to another. If you're buying a small contract to add vacation days, you can bank and borrow points to use this contract's points every three years, and use the other contract for your other year's vacations.

That's one thing I really like about DVC -- the flexibility in how to use your points from year to year.

PlutoPlanet
09-14-2012, 12:36 PM
We're in this situation too. We do not combine points from separate contracts into one vacation. We do a split stay. We like getting the feel of 2 different resorts. In Aug, when we moved to the 2nd resort, the concierge moved our park tickets to our new keys to the world.

The split could get tricky if you are doing the Dining Plan for both vacations.

Checkers
09-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but transferring from one contract to another (if all contracts are under the same membership number) is not considered a transfer against your one in/out per year. I believe that only applies when you are transferring from one member to another.

We have 3 contracts (2 at OKW, 1 at BWVs) all with the same UY and all under one membership number. We have never had a problem transferring points between contracts. If we want to use OKW points at the BWVs, then we have to do so at the 7 mo. window and vice versa. One of the reasons we wanted the same UY when we bought.

VWL Mom
09-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but transferring from one contract to another (if all contracts are under the same membership number) is not considered a transfer against your one in/out per year. I believe that only applies when you are transferring from one member to another.

We have 3 contracts (2 at OKW, 1 at BWVs) all with the same UY and all under one membership number. We have never had a problem transferring points between contracts. If we want to use OKW points at the BWVs, then we have to do so at the 7 mo. window and vice versa. One of the reasons we wanted the same UY when we bought.

It does not count as transferring if you have the same UY for all contracts. If you add a new UY, you are assigned an additional membership number so it does count as a transfer. I agree with you, much easier with one UY which is why we waited to find a 2nd September.

JMTStone
09-14-2012, 02:22 PM
I have done this but remember if you're not booking at your home resort using your home points, you'll be limited to the 7 month window.

We have 170 SSR and 80 AKL points. I think we've stayed everywhere but Wilderness (hubby has no appetite for it). We have consolidated, borrowed, banked, etc. The only case was once we wanted BCV and got BWV (oh DARN - she said sarcastically). The next year, we got BCV.

O'MalleytheAlleyCat
09-14-2012, 08:44 PM
It does not count as transferring if you have the same UY for all contracts.

So, let me see if I understand this correctly. If I would purchase a second contract with the same use year as my current contract, even if it were at a different resort, I could transfer between the contracts as needed, or would I need to have both contracts on the same use year AND the same resort? Thanks so much for the information. I'm learning a lot here!

VWL Mom
09-15-2012, 08:14 AM
So, let me see if I understand this correctly. If I would purchase a second contract with the same use year as my current contract, even if it were at a different resort, I could transfer between the contracts as needed

Correct, but you would still need to adhere to the 11/7 booking windows. When you have one UY all your contracts will be under one membership number. When booking online it will show all your contracts and allow you to select how you want to use the points.

O'MalleytheAlleyCat
09-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Correct, but you would still need to adhere to the 11/7 booking windows. When you have one UY all your contracts will be under one membership number. When booking online it will show all your contracts and allow you to select how you want to use the points.

Thank you! This is all EXCELLENT information!