PDA

View Full Version : DMacho's Dining Review: Mama Melrose and ABC Commissary

darthmacho
09-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Mama Melrose
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Meal: Dinner

Food: 4.5/5
As we walked up to Mama Melrose, the aroma wafting from within delighted me, and I had a feeling that we were in for a pleasant surprise. I couldn’t have been more right. I ordered the Charred Strip Steak, with Five-Cheese Baked Macaroni, Aged Balsamic-Shallot Butter, and a Chianti Wine Reduction. I also ordered a wine flight from Italy, which helped to tie the food together. Everything was delicious. Ironically, the item I most looked forward to, the Chocolate Cannoli Cake was my least favorite part of the meal. It was pretty good, but not as mind-blowing as it sounds. DW ordered the Wood-grilled Tuna, DD1 had the Chicken Parm, and DD2 got the Grilled Fish off of the kid’s menu, and for dessert had the most interesting item of all, the Spaghetti and Meatball Cupcake.

Service: 4/5
Our waitress’s name was Sharon. She was both friendly and attentive, and I have no complaints about her. Like much of the service we received in table service restaurants, she didn’t wow us either.

Atmosphere: 4.5/5
Mama Melrose reminds me a lot of the restaurants in the North End of Boston, the neighborhood where I grew up. The décor was comfortable and nostalgic, and I give bonus points for the smell I was getting from the open kitchen. One thing I would say detracted from the experience was the proximity of our table to that open kitchen. It was very noisy from the sounds of food being prepared and the head chef shouting orders. On one hand, it made it feel authentic, but personally, I prefer a quiet meal to a noisy one.

Overall: 4.5/5
Before that day, I had some doubts about whether I made the right choice when I picked Mama Melrose for our DHS dinner, but the delightful smell coming from within changed my mind instantly, and from there I continued to be impressed with this experience. It was certainly one of the pleasant surprises of the trip!

ABC Commissary
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Meal: Lunch

Food: 3.5/5
I’ve read some bad reviews for this place, but I felt the food was pretty good, just not amazing. It wasn’t a huge selection, but I was happy with the choices. You can get shrimp, fish, or a combo of both, a chicken bleu sandwich, an Asian Salad, a cheeseburger, and a few other items. The first time I actually got a beef with curry, and the second visit, I got the shrimp and fish. Dessert was a choice between strawberry parfait and chocolate mousse. Both were good, and very fresh.

Service: 4/5
The service here was about as good as any of the quick serve dining places at which we ate, not overly friendly or efficient, just decent. I did give them a little higher score than most because on both visits, one of the food servers helped me carry my trays to the table because my family was already sitting. I appreciated that.

Atmosphere: 3/5
Of all the quick service restaurant themes in WDW, this is certainly the lamest. I don’t watch much TV, particularly on ABC, so I don’t find that very interesting. Nevertheless, the restaurant décor is not that bad, if you overlook the posters for General Hospital and the like. The dining room is cool, comfortable and not cramped like other establishments.

Overall: 3.5/5
This was the only quick serve place at which we ate twice, though it was out of convenience. Nevertheless, because of the decent fare, helpfulness of the servers, and comfortable dining room, I give this place a decent rating. I think if they had a few more items on the menu, it would be even better.

Tigerinvestigator
09-11-2012, 02:45 PM
Watch out Darth, I found out that if you say anything good about ABC Commissary they label you :silly: on Intercot!

darthmacho
09-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Watch out Darth, I found out that if you say anything good about ABC Commissary they label you :silly: on Intercot!

That's okay, I'm pretty sure I already have a reputation for being "unique" anyway. I'd be happy to discuss the good and bad points of ABC Commissary or any other WDW dining establishment. :geek2:

Gator
09-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Really makes me wish I'd done my Fantasmic Dinner package at Mama's Melrose. But my son is picky, and my 1 year old will have more selection at the H&V buffet. Too bad for me.

Once again, I'm surprised about your review. Now, I've never eated at ABC-C becaue of all the horid reviews. Maybe I can put it back on the list. Honestly, I really don't care where I eat lunch at DS because there ain't anything special. But if we're hungry and in the area, maybe we can stop by here and try it out. And I do like Castle on ABC, so that's a plus, too.

darthmacho
09-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Really makes me wish I'd done my Fantasmic Dinner package at Mama's Melrose. But my son is picky, and my 1 year old will have more selection at the H&V buffet. Too bad for me.

Once again, I'm surprised about your review. Now, I've never eated at ABC-C becaue of all the horid reviews. Maybe I can put it back on the list. Honestly, I really don't care where I eat lunch at DS because there ain't anything special. But if we're hungry and in the area, maybe we can stop by here and try it out. And I do like Castle on ABC, so that's a plus, too.

We did H&V for our Fantasmic Dinner actually, so stay tuned for that review at some point!

Also, don't be too surprised by my good reviews. I was really happy with just about all of the food we ate on this trip, so you may see some generous ratings in that category. One thing I wasn't enamored by was some of the service, so you may see some low scores there. Overall scores will probably range from 3-4.5 for most places. Everything Pop was probably the low point, and Artist Point was probably the high. Stay tuned for my review on the latter tomorrow! :mickey:

SBETigg
09-11-2012, 04:07 PM
I've never tried Mama Melrose but you made it sound delicious.

mydisneygirls
09-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Mama Melrose
Mama Melrose reminds me a lot of the restaurants in the North End of Boston, the neighborhood where I grew up.

I was always hesitant of trying Mama Melrose...being Italian, I'm picky about eating Italian food out. I took spend many years in the North End...had some of the best meals there! Maybe I'll give it a try.

darthmacho
09-11-2012, 04:13 PM
I was always hesitant of trying Mama Melrose...being Italian, I'm picky about eating Italian food out. I took spend many years in the North End...had some of the best meals there! Maybe I'll give it a try.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm Italian too, so I'm always hesitant to try new Italian places. However, I find that the older I get, the more open minded I am about trying new food, or maybe I'm just a lot less picky? :mickey:

January-2007
09-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Glad to hear more good things about Mama Melrose. Thanks for the reviews.

Lindsey310
09-15-2012, 01:00 PM
I was so pleasantly surprised with mama melrose's!!! We loved it and it was one of the best meals we had while in WDW!

I had the potato gnocchi and it was in a basil Pesto sauce and DH had the mahi mahi. Both delicious. We had a dessert sampler for dessert! Fabulous and I would def eat here again!!! Worth it for the fantasmic dinner package! :eat:

MNNHFLTX
09-15-2012, 01:21 PM
It was nice to read a good review (well, not bad anyway) of the ABC Commissary for once. I've always like the variety of food that you can get there and that there is almost always a place to sit (which is more than I can say about Starring Rolls, as much as I like that place.)

Love Mama Melrose's too, although it's been much too long since I've dined there. But it's on the agenda for our October trip! :clappy:

WDW&MK
09-16-2012, 06:31 AM
Just got back from WDW yesterday. Ate at ABC Commissary and had the Asian salad. Wanted to mention that they have added the option to add either chicken or salmon to your Asian salad. I asked if it was included on DDP and it is so I added the salmon. I got a full fillet of salmon on top of my salad (probably about 3"x4"?) and it was deliscious! When I ordered it, I thought I'd just get some pieces thrown in, but it was a full-sized fillet. Yum!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Great, I will definitely try Mama's next time too! You're review made me hungry. ABC Commissary was the single worst meal we've ever eaten at DW but that was back in 2003. Maybe they've improved? Doesn't matter we love Starring Rolls so we'll keep going there.

DisneyorBust
09-18-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks a lot Darth! :D Now how do I try and fit a visit to Mama Melrose when all of my ADR's are set. Might need to change my dining location for our DHS day and try a walk up.
Though I'm not Italian, I do love good Italian food. WDW and I will need to fit Mama Melrose in soon! Appreciate the reviews.

Mickey'sGirl
09-18-2012, 09:08 AM
I do not like Mama Melrose in terms of food or service, but I do enjoy the atmosphere!

Love the curry at ABC Commissary! :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
09-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Love the curry at ABC Commissary! :thumbsup:Yes, that is my favorite dish too!

Jared
09-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Love the curry at ABC Commissary! :thumbsup:
Make that three! It's the only thing worth eating there.