PDA

View Full Version : Southwest "Wanna Get Away" question

Mr. Brass Bonanza
09-10-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm looking to book an round trip flight on Southwest, and they have three categories: Business Select, Anytime, and Wanna Get Away. The first two are pretty high priced, but the Wanna Get Away option is quite reasonable. What am I missing here? What is the difference between the first two and Wanna Get Away? Is there some sort of disadvantage?

Thanks!

laprana
09-10-2012, 02:24 PM
I think the biggest difference is that with the Wanna Get Away fares, you don't get a refund if you cancel your flight, but you get travel funds that can be applied to a different flight within a year. With the other 2 higher priced fares, you will get an actual refund of your money if you cancel your flight. I believe you also get priority boarding with the highest fare class, Business Select, and a free alcoholic drink during the flight.

The level of the fare also changes the number of Rapid Rewards points you get, if you are a Rapid Rewards member. The higher the fare class, the more RR points. Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

CajunDisneyDad
09-10-2012, 03:26 PM
That and Southwest doesnt have assigned seating or business class per say... What they do is let the higher price tickets to board first, so they can get the better seats and also put thier carry-ons first in the over head bins. With the wanna get away like the previous poster said it is non refundable, but you get travel dollars. We did the early bird, you pay 10 dollars extra per way per person, but supposedly it puts you higher in the boarding order after the business and the other class. I hope this helps :)

DVC2004
09-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Wanna Get Away is your basic coach, nonrefundable fare. Honestly that is pretty much the only type of fare we book. I have flown business class on other airlines several times but by using frequent flier miles/points.

If you do cancel, you have a credit with the airline to book another flight within a year I believe. There might be fees to cancel and rebook, but you can probably call SW to get more details on that.

MargaretMessler
09-10-2012, 03:48 PM
It's non refundable as cash, fully "refundable" as credit towards a different flight within a year, as previously stated. I don't think you necessarily get any better boarding # for taking the full price fare versus the WGA. I only book the WGA, because I am never booking a trip that I wouldn't reschedule within a year if there were some problem.

If you pay the extra $10 you get a pre assigned boarding # before all others are able to check in at the 24 hour mark, but I never buy this option (I'm cheap) and have never had an issue. I would probably feel differently if I were travelling with children.

MargaretMessler
09-10-2012, 03:49 PM
There might be fees to cancel and rebook, but you can probably call SW to get more details on that.

I don't believe there are any fees related to rebooking.

Gator
09-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Wanna Get Away tickets are better than every other airlines' tickets. You can't get a refund, but you can change to a different flight for no fee. I really love that. You never know when a flight needs to change for a vacation that's booked 6 months in advance.

laprana
09-10-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't think you necessarily get any better boarding # for taking the full price fare versus the WGA.

Passengers who buy the Business Select fare do get priority boarding. They're given a boarding number between A1 and A15, then A16 starts with people who purchase Early Bird, and then everyone else comes after that. Of all the flights I've taken on SW, I think I've only seen people in the A1-A15 slots once, maybe twice, when waiting to board. And even then, it was only one or two people. So, I'm not sure the priority boarding is a great reason to pay the higher fare.

Mr. Brass Bonanza
09-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the information, everyone! This has been a great help. :thumbsup: