PDA

View Full Version : Pop & Fridge?

DisneyFr33k
09-10-2012, 12:11 PM
I saw on an online fact sheet about Pop that it has mini-refridgerators. Is that true? When we went there 5 years ago, they didn't have them unless you paid for them. Has that changed?

Thanks Intercot friends!

disneymom15
09-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Yes it is true. Don't remember when they added them, but all the values are supposed to have them.

DisneyFr33k
09-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Yes it is true. Don't remember when they added them, but all the values are supposed to have them.

Sweet!!!!!!

Strmchsr
09-10-2012, 01:37 PM

Late last year they started it so that all values had fridges by the start of 2012. That process is complete now.

darthmacho
09-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Your question has already been answered, but I'm just going to reinforce that we had a mini-fridge in our room during our recent August Trip! :mickey:

DisneyFr33k
09-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Your question has already been answered, but I'm just going to reinforce that we had a mini-fridge in our room during our recent August Trip! :mickey:

Thanks! I am so glad!

darthmacho
09-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks! I am so glad!

You're welcome. It's a little embarrassing, but we forgot to clean out the fridge before we left, so if you happen to get room 5157, you may find some leftover Tie-Dye cheesecake, and some other desserts that we couldn't finish during the trip. :blush:

(Kidding. We did leave stuff behind, but I'm sure they have cleaned it by now...I think) :confused:

MargaretMessler
09-10-2012, 06:30 PM
So excited that mini fridges are now standard across the World. If for no other reason than I can store a few cold beverages for during the night or early morning on the way to the park. I have tried to drink the Florida tap water, and I just can't do it.

Lindsey310
09-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Ours wasn't that great at keeping things cold. I heard on another post that their particular fridge was really loud. :mickey:

brownie
09-11-2012, 07:10 AM
It's a little embarrassing, but we forgot to clean out the fridge before we left, so if you happen to get room 5157, you may find some leftover Tie-Dye cheesecake, and some other desserts that we couldn't finish during the trip.

Probably not what it is anymore! :sick:

DisneyFr33k
09-12-2012, 09:43 AM
You're welcome. It's a little embarrassing, but we forgot to clean out the fridge before we left, so if you happen to get room 5157, you may find some leftover Tie-Dye cheesecake, and some other desserts that we couldn't finish during the trip. :blush:

(Kidding. We did leave stuff behind, but I'm sure they have cleaned it by now...I think) :confused:

If it is still there, I bet the Tie Dye Cheesecake is really Tie Dye by now!! :D

JerseyDad
09-14-2012, 12:20 PM
....before everyone gets too excited....here's a little more "better" info on the fridges:

They're not "fridges" in the true sense (was just at POP 8/25 - 9/3)....and I complained as much to the concierge desk because they didn't get "COLD". And the concierge desk person told me (and I quote), "Well...they aren't really refrigerators ...they are more like 'coolers'".

They ARE coolers. There is no compressor like a real fridge. There is no "freezer" for ice cubes. The do NOT get cold enough to keep food (particularly milk, dairy, meat, left-overs...or anything you would question eating from 'spoiling' had it not been properly chilled). So, if you're cheering because you want to save money because you're going to have "Garden Grocer" deliver goodies & meal staples and keep them in the "fridge"...you are out of luck.

They are directly dependent on the room temperature to attain a certain level of 'cooling'. I put a 12 pack of soda cans and a 6 pack of beer bottles in there and it took 2 days to become "cool". You have to keep the room at 68 degrees for it to semi-work.

Additionally, at POP, the took out 2 or 3 drawers from the dresser, and placed the 'cooler' in that space to make it look like a "built in" unit. Problem is...that type of installation is directly contrary to the manufacturers guidelines for operation (it need adequate clearance top, back, side to "breath") And BREATH it does...it gives of a substantial amount of heat. So if you buy chocolates or anything "melty"...don't store it above the 'cooler'.

If you want to see what it looks like, the manufacturer is "Avanti"...and it's the 1.7 cubic foot model that you'll find on line at their web-site.

I think, no, I KNOW that WDW picked these units because they use very little electricity. However, they also pump out a huge amount of heat...so the A/C needs to be cranked to keep the room cool. And I know that the A/C is a bigger power-hog than the 'fridge'. So..WDW gets a failing grade on this "freebie" that's in the value rooms.

...and if you want to go the "conspiracy route"...it forces more purchases of food at the food-court...because you can't keep stuff in the room.

I love WDW...and hate to be negatively critical....but this really deserves it.

DisneyFr33k
09-16-2012, 06:37 PM
JerseyDad,

Thanks for your post. Is this true of the "fridges" in the moderates too?

And, is it the same fridges you used to be able to rent for $10 a day or are they different?

JerseyDad
09-16-2012, 08:56 PM
JerseyDad,

Thanks for your post. Is this true of the "fridges" in the moderates too?

And, is it the same fridges you used to be able to rent for $10 a day or are they different?

....happy that someone reads my periodic ramblings...always glad to be helpful :D

....since the 'moderates' already had fridges as part of the "amenities"...I'm not sure if they changed them too. And...those fridges were the taller 2.4 or 3.1 cubic foot size.

....and, no, it's completely different from the "$10/day" fridges...only similarity is the size. It's still a "box" of about the same internal capacity ....only it has no small "freezer" compartment for the ice-cubes..... and it doesn't get sufficiently cold enough to where I would try and keep food in it that could spoil.

DisneyFr33k
09-17-2012, 05:27 AM
[QUOTE=JerseyDad;2302704and it doesn't get sufficiently cold enough to where I would try and keep food in it that could spoil.[/QUOTE]

How disappointing. If you can't keep food/milk in there without concern if it spoiling, then what is the point?:confused:

JerseyDad
09-17-2012, 04:10 PM
How disappointing. If you can't keep food/milk in there without concern if it spoiling, then what is the point?:confused:

....I would guess that the "point"....is that you go to the food court and pay $$$ thru the nose every day for a 1/2 pint or whatever small size container of milk that they sell ....and use it immediately. :mad:

....I don't have the issue of keeping milk in the fridge...because I put creamer in my coffee at the food court ...and I'm good to go for the day. But I can honestly feel the pain of parents with small kids that need to keep milk on hand. But I do have a sore spot about having to worry if any left-overs or snacks that we buy may not be "good to eat" after several hours in the 'cooler'.

....I honestly would like to see other people's feedback on this issue....so that I don't think that I'm nuts, or just a grouchy curmudgeon.

DisneyFr33k
09-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Do they have a disclaimer on the fridge about not being able to keep things cold? If not, and food spoils, are they setting themselves up for complaints/lawsuits if someone gets sick?

barnaby
09-18-2012, 12:46 PM
I was at Pop from 8/25 to 8/31. We didn't have any problem keeping things cold. We had it loaded up with sodas, juice and even milk for our cereal. No issues for us.

JerseyDad
09-18-2012, 12:58 PM
I was at Pop from 8/25 to 8/31. We didn't have any problem keeping things cold. We had it loaded up with sodas, juice and even milk for our cereal. No issues for us.

....you should have waved!! :wave: We were there 8/25 till 9/3.

.....as I stated, the Cast Member at the Concierge Desk was very specific when she said, "Well...they aren't really refrigerators ...they are more like 'coolers'". So I'm guessing that she's been 'schooled' related to he replies about this issue. I cannot believe that I was the first to make inquiries related to the cooling power.

....our 'cooler' did just that, it cooled items. I can tell the distinct difference between the feel-taste of a can of soda or beer that was in a real cube fridge (like the $10/day ones they used to have)...and the ones that are now supplied. I didn't have a thermometer to test the cooling/chilling power....but, there was no way I'd put perishable food or temperature sensitive medication in there.

barnaby
09-18-2012, 09:19 PM
....you should have waved!! :wave: We were there 8/25 till 9/3.

.....as I stated, the Cast Member at the Concierge Desk was very specific when she said, "Well...they aren't really refrigerators ...they are more like 'coolers'". So I'm guessing that she's been 'schooled' related to he replies about this issue. I cannot believe that I was the first to make inquiries related to the cooling power.

....our 'cooler' did just that, it cooled items. I can tell the distinct difference between the feel-taste of a can of soda or beer that was in a real cube fridge (like the $10/day ones they used to have)...and the ones that are now supplied. I didn't have a thermometer to test the cooling/chilling power....but, there was no way I'd put perishable food or temperature sensitive medication in there.

I might have waved. :D Did say hello to some fellow NJ folks.

Ours wasn't ice cold like our home fridge, but cold enough to keep milk. And we had no prob taking back our desserts from Everything Pop.
We've paid the 10 bucks for the fridges on previous trips and outside of the lack of the separate freezer, didn't find much difference between the two.