PDA

View Full Version : Need Excursion Advice

robnadina
09-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Hello All
I am sailing on the Disney Magic out of Galveston in 19 days and I am clueless on excursions. We are going to Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, & Cozumel. All the excursions are pretty pricey, so we can only afford to do 2 (Me, DH, & DD-4). Would really appreciate any suggestions.
Thank you so much

Cdn Disney Dad
09-10-2012, 12:22 PM
We did these stops in our cruise in May. For Grand Cayman we took the Island tour and StingRay city excursion. I would highly recomend this one. You get a tour of the island with stops at Hell and the Turtle Farm and then out for the Stingray City excursion. Stingray city was a blast. Our whole family loved it. Its an experience that you need to have. This was by far the top excursion out of the 3 stops. In Costa Maya we did the Myan Ruin tour. It was very good and I am glad we did it. My kids did not enjoy it as much. In Cozumel we did the Furry Catamaran snorkling adventure. It was very well run and a lot of fun. I don't snorkle that much, but was not all that impressed with where we snorkled and what we saw. It was a great starter trip for my kids, but I was hoping to see more sea life.

Hope this helps. I know its a hard choice with everything offered.

minnie04
09-11-2012, 01:52 PM
In Grand Cayman, we did the stingray city boat tour with snorkeling. It was awesome. We hooked up with one of the local tour guides (super nice people) and paid about $35 per person for the day. In Cozumel, we rented two jeeps and went to swim with the Dolphins at "Dolphin Discovery”. It was AWESOME!! It was about $100 per person. www.dolphinsdiscovery.com. We had until 10pm so we ventured off to do this. On the way there are places to zip line as well.

robnadina
09-12-2012, 12:17 PM
In Grand Cayman, we did the stingray city boat tour with snorkeling. It was awesome. We hooked up with one of the local tour guides (super nice people) and paid about $35 per person for the day. In Cozumel, we rented two jeeps and went to swim with the Dolphins at "Dolphin Discovery”. It was AWESOME!! It was about $100 per person. www.dolphinsdiscovery.com. We had until 10pm so we ventured off to do this. On the way there are places to zip line as well.

Did you just walk off the boat and hook up with someone, or did you research ahead of time? Whoever Disney contracts thru seem really expensive & I have heard to go local when we get there, but not sure who I could trust.

minnie04
09-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Did you just walk off the boat and hook up with someone, or did you research ahead of time? Whoever Disney contracts thru seem really expensive & I have heard to go local when we get there, but not sure who I could trust.

We walked around and the guy that does the tours was trying to get people to go with them. My husband started to talk to him asking general questions and getting prices. Others started to gather around so we all just felt safer going together. There had to be at least 20 of us off the ship with the same guy. So we felt ok. He was such a nice guy. I’m going to go back and look at pictures from the trip and see if I can get you his name or company name...
My DH is a pretty big guy (football player body) …lol. So I guess other people felt if he is going at least we would have a big guy in the group to protect us...

I found pictures with the guy in the back ground..My DD life jacket had the name "Jeremo" The boat was nothing great, but we had a great time with him and his crew.

DisneyFr33k
09-12-2012, 02:39 PM
We didn't do formal tours. We took taxi's to various local attractions - well before the tour groups arrived and really enjoyed ourselves. In Grand Caymen, we went to Hell and Seven Mile Beach and in Cozumel, we took a cab to chankanaab national park. During both trips, we got the "scoop" from the drivers and one even took us on a personal tour of their own for only $2 more!!! :thumbsup: