PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland in February?

buzznwoodysmom
09-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Here's the deal. We are currently planning a trip to WDW Feb. 9-16 for our kid's Mardi Gras break, and also for DS12's birthday. We are also planning a trip to WDW for Thanksgiving of 2013. We had planned to try to make it to Disneyland in the summer of 2013, but with DH's work and military schedule we can't plan on any summer vacations for a while. He just can't make it work.

I've always thought of DL as a summer destination, but now I'm thinking maybe instead of WDW in Feb. we could do DL. Before I pitch this idea to DH and DS (since it is his birthday trip) I have a few questions.

Is Feb. a good month to visit DL? What is the weather like? Are any of the major attractions seasonal, and likely not showing in Feb? How about crowds?

If we would miss out on seeing, say, World of Color, or Fantasmic, I'm not sure it would be worthwhile for us. This will be our first trip to DL and we don't have any plans to visit again. I know that might change once we take that first trip, but for now it's supposed to be a one time deal.

Thanks!

Disney4us2
09-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Feburary is good as long as you are not there during President's Day time. I love that time of year since the crowds are not that bad,

The weather could be cool/cold to no jackets to rain. I would be in jeans and short sleeves with a zippered sweatshirt with a heavier jacket/gloves for the evening.

There may be some attractions down for refurb.

I would plan on being there on a weekend to see Fantasmic. During that time it is only on Friday/Saturday and Sundays. Not sure about WOC as the wether or not it is shown during week days.

If you can swing staying on property, it would give you early entrance every day since you would be a resort guest. That would be a real plus to get into Cars Land early.

BrerGnat
09-10-2012, 12:06 PM
I would not rule out DL solely due to not being able to see one of the nighttime shows. I understand the desire to see these, but there is SO much to see and do at DLR that you will have a blast regardless of whether you see absolutely everything.

In the off season, Fireworks are only done on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. Probably the same for WOC, but not sure, as the fireworks thing is a city noise ordinance, and WOC is not very loud.

Fantasmic has an "off" season at DLR, but I can't remember if February is part of that.

Denise, honestly, go to DL if you can. It's SO amazing and so different from WDW that if you will already be at WDW later in the year, you won't be missing out on anything in that area, and you will get a brand new Disney experience!

LOVE DL in the off season, for what it's worth! And, definitely stay on property if you can. The 40% military discount on DLR resorts is great, especially in February, when the resorts are a bit cheaper.

buzznwoodysmom
09-10-2012, 01:53 PM
And, definitely stay on property if you can. The 40% military discount on DLR resorts is great, especially in February, when the resorts are a bit cheaper.

Yeah, the price is definitely doable. I have already priced out the room and tickets with military discount. I priced an upper level resort view room at Disneyland Hotel for 5 nights and the 3 day military tickets and the total is just over $1600. I think that's an incedible deal.

I totally agree with getting a new Disney experience, especially since we are going back to WDW again for Thanksgiving. The only reason for this Feb. trip to WDW is because DS wanted to spend his bday in WDW with some of his cousins. We have lots of family and friends who will be in WDW at the same time. It's the only reason DH agreed to the trip. I do sort of feel bad for pulling this on DS, knowing it's his bday, but I honestly think DS might pick DL over WDW. I think it would still be an awesome birthday for him. I sort of just pulled this out of the air last night. :blush:

Then I have all our meals booked for WDW with my SIL and her family. Feel kind of bad if I pull out on them too, but they would totally understand. I've even thought of asking them if they want to do DL with us instead. They will also be in WDW for Thanksgiving with us, and have been plenty of times already. It would be a new experience for them as well.

I guess I'll lay it out on the table and see what they say. Looks like other than a few possible refurbs/seasonal attractions, it's still a pretty good time to visit. I would just hate to go all that way and end up with cold, rainy, miserable weather the entire time, on top of missing out on some of the attractions. But I guess we could always go back.;)

DVC2004
09-10-2012, 01:57 PM
When we were there in Feb it was in the 60's mostly and rainy at times. But it was great and the crowds aren't big (except for on and around President's Day). We really enjoy Disneyland and have visited several times since 2004.

Gator
09-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Our Feb trip to DL was really great. The weather was in the 70s and no rain. Remember that it's SoCal, so that means great weather and low chance of rain. And by rain, I mean sprinkles. Sure it may rain hard, but that's what ponchos are for. And we Californians melt in the rain, so we don't go outdoors when it's wet. So that means low low crowds.

World of Color will show every night with the exception of a week or two when it's down for refurb. Just check the Disney calender for that. And the DL fireworks only go on Friday and Saturday, which I think really stinks. But that's SoCal for ya.

BrerGnat
09-12-2012, 08:30 AM
And, this would be a good way to get all of you on an airplane. ;)

Seriously, Febraury weather in Anaheim is usually BEAUTIFUL. I remember more than a couple "heat waves" in February in recent years where the temps were in the upper 80's, low 90's WITH NO HUMIDITY. Blue skies, not a cloud in sight, and EMPTY Disneyland parks? What more could you want?

Go. Go. Go. Go.......

Melanie
09-12-2012, 08:42 AM
DO IT Denise! Great time of year to go, and how can you resist the Armed Forces Salute pricing. It may not be there in 2014. I'm going in January and cannot wait! I guarantee you will all love Disneyland!

buzznwoodysmom
09-12-2012, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=BrerGnat;2301046]And, this would be a good way to get all of you on an airplane. ;) QUOTE]

Hahaha, that really made me laugh!!

You know just when you think you've made up your mind something comes along and throws everything off. That "something" is usually the military, this time it's DS's school.

Not sure we'll go to DL or WDW in Feb. Oldest DS's school just sent home a flyer about a meeting for their 7th/8th grade class trip to DC next May. This is something we feel DS HAS to attend. Not only will he mostly likely go on the class trip, but DH and I have decided to pull younger DS out of school for those days and we'll all go with them. Our neighbors, whose daughter goes to school with DS (we actually car pool with them) are doing the same thing. They are making a "semi" family trip out of it. So while that will get us all on a plane, lol, it may put a Feb. Disney trip out of the question. Sigh! If I am going ot have any problems, this seems like a good one to have!;)

BrerGnat
09-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Aw, it's a bummer when real life interferes with Disney. ;)

But, coming to D.C. isn't too shabby either. :thumbsup:

Melanie
09-12-2012, 04:25 PM
But, coming to D.C. isn't too shabby either. :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's full of museums and history and all that fun stuff. ;)

Oh Denise, sorry you guys got thrown off a little, but I'm sure you will make it out west one day. Hang in there! :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
09-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks Mel and Natalie,

We are actually thrilled about the DC trip! DH has tried to do the Army 10 miler in DC several times, and each time we couldn't make it happen due to other military things, go figure. Anyway, DC is a place that's been on our radar for a very long time and my kids are thrilled. I also think my boys are at an excellent age for DC. They will be 13 and 11 at the time!

The good thing is I just looked up Mardi Gras dates in 2014 and it's the same week as younger DS's bday. So.......instead of going in 2013 for oldest son's bday, maybe we can go in 2014 for younger son's bday. Mardi Gras falls in March that year, which may be better as far as weather goes.

I WILL make it out to DL one day. It's at the top of my bucket list! ;)

So for now we'll either not do any Disney trip in Feb., or shorten/cheapen the already planned trip to WDW for DS's bday and still go with all our family and friends. I might be able to make WDW doable, DL...not so much once you figure in flights, rental, all that extra stuff.

BrerGnat
09-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Yeah, it's full of museums and history and all that fun stuff. ;)

And Battlefields with grassy knolls and broken fences!