PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that chooses the "Value" resorts over all others?

Disney Hungarian
09-09-2012, 08:34 PM
I have stayed at all levels of WDW resorts (including Club.) I have now decided that I do not want to stay in anything other than a Value resort. I have gone so far as to refuse upgrades now. Am I insane? Am I the only one?

Dopey's Girl
09-09-2012, 08:39 PM
I don't think you are nuts, you have just found what you like and are sticking with it.

I like the values, and am planning on staying at AoA in January, but other than that, I'm kind of done with the values. I find myself spending more and more time enjoying the resort, so I'm choosing the deluxe resorts now.

I say to each their own. If you know what you like, enjoy!

Disney Hungarian
09-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks for that vote of confidence Meg! I just seem to have more fun and meet the best people from all over the World and all different walks of life. I have many friends now that I have only met at a resort and we keep in touch years after the trip.

DisneyGlutton
09-09-2012, 09:16 PM
No, you are neither insane nor alone. For my upcoming trip, I plan on staying at Pop rather than my beloved POFQ. The reason: is $$$$. I can't justify all the extra money of a moderate because, unlike you, I don't spend much time at the resort. Even if I did, I'm not exactly rolling in dough, so that is a factor as well. For whatever reason, Disney resort prices seem to be getting very bloated to me. I compared what I paid for Coronado on my last trip (2010) and it won't even cover my upcoming trip to Pop. However, I would not refuse a free upgrade, but as my Mom says, whatever floats your boat.

ginny57
09-09-2012, 09:19 PM
The single thing that I miss when at a value is a hot tub....I love sitting in the hot tub after a long day. Otherwise I really spend so little time at the resort on most of my trips that it makes sense to go value and spend my money in other ways. AoA - see you in December :thumbsup:

Kairi_7378
09-09-2012, 09:23 PM
I don't think you are crazy at all! Like others have said, you've found what you like. Just think of how much easier you've made booking your future trips to be!

My husband is kind of like you, except that that is his position on the moderates. So whenever we book a trip, I only have to say "CSR or PO?" (He won't try CBR for some reason, either.)

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
09-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Nope not crazy. We generally rent points right now because we find we have worked with the same persone several times and have a good price, (often cheaper than Value depending on season) and we like the Boardwalk too... plus walking to EPCOT and DHS is convenient with 3 kids and 2 strollers. But if we could not get the points... We would be just as happy back at the POP. The once my youngest turns 3 we will have some number crunching to do to see what works out best for us! We do love POP though.

Disney Hungarian
09-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Thanks Josh.

Thanks Ginny.
I'm at AoA LM rooms Dec 9-14.

Disney Hungarian
09-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks Laura.

Thanks Trish,
Love the EP resorts. Only prob I have with them is the lack of CS options.

Mousemates
09-09-2012, 10:21 PM
not crazy...it just depends on what your looking for...If I were going with kids in the six to thirteen range who were prone to do the park commando thing the values are perfect...I love the over the top theming, especially the giant icon/wienie things.

buzznwoodysmom
09-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Not crazy at all. If it works for you why change it???

AgentC
09-09-2012, 10:53 PM
I don't think you are crazy at all.

We tend to stay values or deluxe. but my kids are younger and resort time is just as important to them as park time. We pretty much have to have a pool slide so values is usually out for us. And we often have 5 of us which pretty much forces us into a deluxe. But I've stayed at POP and think the values are fine. We all have our own preferences. :)

I am trying out AOA too. I'll be staying (without the kids) at the end of the month.

disneydeb
09-10-2012, 12:20 AM
I prefer value prices and I really can't see the big deal over a few more square feet and about 10 inches larger bed, a slide for a pool I don't use, and a hot tub that is not hot enough to help my aches and pains.:thumbsup:

but my family prefers the slide, hot tub and buses of the moderates.... and I travel with them so there you go..;)

Cinderelley
09-10-2012, 01:33 AM
If it was completely up to me, I would stay at Pop Century almost every time. I love it there in the 50s area. If I didn't have a plan to stay at every resort or if the people I was going with didn't care, I would stay at Pop every time. :D

Tink#64
09-10-2012, 01:46 AM
We have only stayed at the Values, & for us it comes down to "Value"! We are not at WDW for the resort, we are there for all the magic we experience everywhere, but most concentration is on the parks! We spend so little time at our resort, so it would be preposterious to spend more $ to spend a couple of hours at a pool or for the bed we sleep in or where we park our luggage! But I must add, Pop is a beautiful & lively resort, we want for nothing!

Lucky for us all, that WDW offers so many choices! To thyself be true! To each his own! And many thanks to Disney Glutton :D :Whatever floats your boat"! Here, Here! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
09-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Of course you're not crazy. There is a reason the Values are SO big and SO popular. Lots of people love them.

There is no reason to feel that you have to justify it.

Some people HAVE to drive a BMW or Mercedes, but some people are just fine driving a $5,000 used car. DIfferent strokes for different folks.

I can tell you, if you love the values in general, you will probably really love the Art of Animation!

Disney Hungarian
09-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Thanks again everyone for the support :thumbsup:

I have heard some people say that they would not even go to WDW if they had to stay at a "Value" resort. I just wondered if there were others that liked the "Values."

As far as pools go: I rarely even get in one while I am at Disney and I have never gotten in a hot tub on Disney property.

DisneyFr33k
09-10-2012, 08:59 AM
When we have our kids, we choose a resort that has queen size beds due to our son being so very tall. When it is just the two of us, we choose the values as we are never there -- just to sleep and the beds are fine with just us.

No, you are not crazy. You just know what you like!! :thumbsup:

Jeri
09-10-2012, 09:34 AM
We love POP. We have stayed at CBR, POly & ASMo.

I had wanted to book AoA for our next trip, but we would be in LM and the big blue pool was too far to take a quick swim.
We have always stayed in the 80's at POP and love it there. We are close to the computer pool & it is a quick walk across the parking lot to the bus stop.

So we are booked with 2 rooms at POP for next year. Something about POP just feels like "home= comfortable" and I couldn't imagine not staying there again.

So for us, we too love a value resort, we aren't there enough to justify the cost of anything bigger and with 5 now ( baby will be 2 next year, but need the room) 2 rooms are cheaper.

With that said I wouldn't turn down an upgrade, I don't think?

BigRedDad
09-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Not at all. We prefer the Value resorts. I do not get my money's worth if I am paying $300+ a night for a room. If I were spending that much on a room, I would not need park tickets. I would have to stay in the room for 18 hours to think I am getting my money's worth. If I spent that much time in a room, I might as well stay home and save the $300 a night.

brownie
09-10-2012, 10:24 AM
For the cost savings and the food courts, the Value resorts are our choice. If we would spend more time at our resort when we're there, we'd probably stay at a Moderate or Deluxe.

minnie04
09-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Love, love, love the Values!!!! I have been saying it for years. They are the only (imo) DISNEY resorts that actually feel like Disney to my family. The kids can run around and have fun without worrying that they are bothering other guest. The only problem is we have out grown the smaller rooms and opt now to rent condos off property. I need at least two full rooms and having the kitchen with washer and dryer helps a lot. We might not stay for a week or more, but I just need more space and cheaper prices then what Disney can offer in a larger room. There are so many nice resorts off property for our price point that we can actually stay longer. When the kids were little the All-Star resorts were the best money could buy. And we sure did get our monies worth... Awesome memories and met great people from all over the world :mickey:

Gator
09-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Well, I think you're crazy. :) I've stayed at moderates on 4 trips, AKL on 1 trip, and AllStarMov on 1 trip. I'll never stay at a value again after my experience. The rooms are just way too small. No slide at the pool for the kids. Bus service is sloooooow, not to mention everyone with an ECV stays at the Values. The deluxes are a bit too much for me. But I love the moderates. It's more money, but you get more bang for your buck. The resort isn't all important, but it's still a big factor in my vacation. I'll always go moderate... until my 1 year old grows up and I'm forced to stay at AoA suites with a family of 5.

darthmacho
09-10-2012, 04:55 PM
I have stayed at all levels of WDW resorts (including Club.) I have now decided that I do not want to stay in anything other than a Value resort. I have gone so far as to refuse upgrades now. Am I insane? Am I the only one?

Here's my thought. First off, you should do exactly what you like, whether it is staying at a deluxe, moderate, value, DVC, or off-site. If it works for you, you should do it.

As for me, I'd much rather stay at a deluxe or moderate, but the sticking point is price. If I can stay three nights at a value for one night at a deluxe, that may be what I'm going to choose. There's no way I'd have been able to save up for a 14 day trip if I wanted to stay at a deluxe, so this year we went value. In 2010, we went for 10 days and stayed at a moderate. If at either of these, I was offered a free upgrade, I'd have likely taken it, depending on the choices, but I've never gotten that lucky. We were also offered great bounce-back deals during our stay, which it killed me to pass up.

The moral of the story is, no, you are not crazy!:mickey:

Disney Hungarian
09-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Just to clarify my position on upgrades:
If I had wanted to stay at another level, I would have booked it that way. I have been blessed with so many trips now that it would not be the "magical upgrade" that it would be to someone else. Since it truely would not make or break my trip to accept or decline the upgrade. I choose to pass on one in the hopes that another family may enjoy it more fully.

Utopia74
09-10-2012, 05:40 PM
No

MargaretMessler
09-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Not at all wierd. The value resorts are great, you only spend limited time there anyway. (People who "wouldn't go to WDW if they had to stay in a value" are the ones who are nuts!)

Would I love to go moderate? Sure, just because they are a little better in certain ways (more choices of food places, fancier pools, etc.) So if budget were not an issue, I would probably go moderate all the time, but that's my upper limit.

I have stayed at a deluxe (on someone else's dime), and honestly, it was TOO fancy for me. Nice to visit for a special dinner, but I don't see myself ever staying a whole vacation at a deluxe even if I could afford to.

lawgirl
09-10-2012, 06:33 PM
That's not nuts at all. You gotta go for what you want. It doesn't matter what anyone else does!

We happen to stay at the AKL because we LOVE the theme and just can't get enough of the ambience. We end up spending alot of time at the resort, so in a way the price is more justified for us. But I can see where staying at a moderate or value would be a good option for someone who is not at the resort alot. Or even if you are, if that's what you like, then go for it!! I do think that Disney resort pricing has gotten a little high, so we only go when we can get a good deal on the room. I've never paid full price for the room. The deluxe resorts are very cost prohibitive.

lawgirl
09-10-2012, 06:34 PM
If I had wanted to stay at another level, I would have booked it that way. I have been blessed with so many trips now that it would not be the "magical upgrade" that it would be to someone else. Since it truely would not make or break my trip to accept or decline the upgrade. I choose to pass on one in the hopes that another family may enjoy it more fully.

It's so heartening to know that people like you exist! Thank you for being so giving...I wish more people had that attitude.

MouseHead
09-10-2012, 11:28 PM
I'm at AoA LM rooms Dec 9-14.

We will also be spending part of our Dec.stay at AoA [Dec9-15]:cloud9::thumbsup:

LVT
09-11-2012, 07:30 AM
No. I love POP. When we want more space we can get 2 rooms for the price of a moderate and be really comfortable. 2 queens in a moderate does not compete with 4 fulls and 2 baths.

mom2morgan
09-11-2012, 09:25 AM
I don't know if you're CRAZY (has your mother had you tested? ;-) but I must admit the only reason I would stay at a Value is to save money and I would never turn down an upgrade :mickey:

ransam
09-11-2012, 10:54 AM
It seems every year we talk about going Moderate or even a shorter trip and stay at a deluxe. when i was a kid i always wanted to stay at the Contempary. In fact that is still in my top 50 things to do before i die.
but every year we go back to the Value. For me, it doesn't make sense to upgrade. We're never at the resort very long, just to clean up, and sleep.
I'd rather spend money on shirts, mouse ears, and other trinkets....
someday though i will stay at the contempary. maybe when i have kids.

minnie-mouse
09-11-2012, 11:12 AM
I think if you like something so much, stick with it. I prefer the deluxe (Poly mainly) for the convenience of them to the parks. But I like moderates too and will be trying a new moderate on our next trip. I have yet to try a value resort. If I have the $ to do so, I will always book moderate, as we feel it gives you more resort to relax at for the $.

PopPhan
09-11-2012, 11:43 AM
I like Pop, and it is my preferred resort, but have not stayed at any of the All Stars resorts.

I have stayed in a BWV studio room and also at Caribbean Beach.

I liked them all, but since I do not spend much time at the resort, the cost involved with Moderate and above accommodations doesn't make sense to me. I would much rather save the money and stay longer.

azcavalier
09-11-2012, 12:53 PM
I can understand only wanting to stay at a value. They're pretty sweet, actually. Even though we haven't stayed there for years, we still love ASMovies. We have never tried POP.

However, that will change! My wife has declared that we will stay in *every* resort at least once. We've done all of the All Stars, and now we need to try POP and AoA.

That said, the reason we don't stay at the Values anymore is because there are five of us, and we don't fit (and i've never seen it when two values are cheaper than one mod.) Plus, we love having a fridge, we do enjoy the pools/hot tubs/water slides and we think that the food courts at the mods have better options than the values (but, again, we've never tried the POP or AoA food courts).

disneydeb
09-11-2012, 03:13 PM
remember values now have refrigerators and I know Pop has a curtain separating the sleep/dressing areas. :mickey:

do the all-stars have the curtain yet??

EJS-Houston
09-11-2012, 03:21 PM

Not at all! I don't go to DisneyWorld to stay in nice hotels; I don't plan to be in the hotel for terribly long stretches of time. So it doesn't make sense to pay more for something that doesn't really matter that much to me. Stick to your guns. You're not crazy, and definitely not alone.

darthmacho
09-11-2012, 04:24 PM

I definitely get what you are saying here, though perhaps for a different reason. I'm a planner, and one of the first things I decide when I plan a trip is the resort at which I'm going to stay. When I was sitting at home and contemplating the possibilities of an upgrade, I was torn. Of course I would have preferred to spend 14 days at Wilderness Lodge, or even Port Orleans, but a last minute resort change may have thrown me off for the whole trip. Again, I'm a real planner, so a small part of me would have been a little disappointed not to have stayed at Pop Century after almost two years of planning and anticipation. I really wanted that Tie-Dye Cheescake!

Still, I think if I ever get offered a free upgrade, there will be a good chance I'd consider it, especially if it's a resort I might never get to stay in otherwise.

Disney Hungarian
09-11-2012, 05:02 PM
remember values now have refrigerators and I know Pop has a curtain separating the sleep/dressing areas. :mickey:

I was just at AS-sp the end of August. I have been trying to remember. Then it hit me. I stay in the rooms with the roll-in shower and they have a sliding door seperating the whole bathroom from the room. Sorry I couldn't answer this one.

mdhiggin
09-11-2012, 11:04 PM
We have stayed at almost every resort and villa at Disney. Our family grew too big for values, then after we outgrew POR, we bought into DVC. We spend a lot of time in the room and really do prefer the villas, room wise. We still love the values for their over the top theming and fabulous food courts. We were at Boardwalk Villas labor day weekend and drove over to AoA to explore and eat at the food court. Everyone loved it! Moderates and deluxes are a disappointment to us in the counter service category. Table services are nice on occasion but most of our meals are counter service and the token establishments at the deluxe and moderate levels are frustrating.

brownie
09-12-2012, 10:12 AM

The room I was in at All-Star Music at the beginning of August had the curtain.

minnie04
09-12-2012, 12:12 PM
I also think when you have small children the values are so much fun for them. I always loved watching their reactions to the different hotel themes. It was cool to stay in the Sports when the boys played baseball tournaments. The kids would have a blast. We did try Moderates and AK (loved it) and they were nice, but if you asked all the kids where they wanted to stay. It was always hands downs the All-Stars...Now that they are older and we don’t fit in the rooms of any of the choices (except Deluxe/villas) we just opt to stay off property and they are fine with it. I hope to be back to the All-stars one day with grandkids (way in the future)… :mickey:

nfrustaci
09-13-2012, 09:04 PM
we prefer the values as well. We have stayed villa and deluxe, too much money as far as I am concerned. We stayed villa because they offered us an upgrade from POP...... very large resort, too large. (saratoga). Will never accept an upgrade to Villa again, spent so much time waiting for buses due to size of the resort I think. also I didn't feel like I was in Disney. I wouldn't pay to stay in a moderate because I don't think there is enough of a difference btwn value and moderate. We LOVE POP we feel like we are home when we arrive. I have booked a feb 2013 vacation at AoA little mermaid and am excited and if we get lonesome for POP it is a short walk across hourglass lake. So no you are not the only one who prefers Value over the rest.

Mousemates
09-14-2012, 01:06 AM
I wouldn't pay to stay in a moderate because I don't think there is enough of a difference btwn value and moderate.

To me there is actually one major difference, that being the fact that most of the mods now have queen beds. That little extra bit of sleeping room can sometimes make or break a vacation...both for parents who are used to spreading out when they sleep...and kids who are prone to have bed wars.

TheVBs
09-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Another vote for not crazy. :mickey: Every trip we consider whether or not to try a mod or deluxe, and it just never makes sense for us. We spend so little time in the room that we cannot justify the extra $$. We love visiting and dining at the other resorts, but nothing about the ones we've seen have ever made us feel like we HAD to stay there. And, when we've had such amazing service and experiences at a value, that makes a difference. We would definitely never turn down an upgrade, but I can understand Darthmacho's comment. The change would definitely throw my husband to some degree.

JerseyDad
09-14-2012, 03:01 PM
....another vote for "Not Crazy".

....we have only stayed at Values (ASM once and at POP 9 times), but have checked out [quite thoroughly] the potential to stay at a 'higher level' resort. This past trip we were offered a free upgrade to the AoA suites so we could be near my brother's family ....and we declined.

....the way I see it is, I want a room to sleep, shower, and dress ...that's it. I'm never impressed with higher end room amenities.

....and regarding the need for "separate areas" to dress, etc., the values have a privacy curtain to separate the main room from the sink and bathroom area. This worked just fine for us, even being that it was me vs. wife and 2 daughters (ages 16 and 23).

....by staying at a Value, I'm also assured of the ability to afford a vacation at WDW each year.

PETE FROM NYC
09-14-2012, 04:43 PM
OK, DW and I bought into DVC in 09, and got to stay at BLT in 10. Leaving for a drive to BLT tomorrow.
Before that we always chose a value resort, staying at ASMu, ASMo, and Pop. Before that we stayed at Port Orleans, before the merger with Dixie Landings, and at Carribean Beach, when they were the least costly on property.
DW and I are theme park commandos. We used to be there at opening, and stay til they threw us out at night. Now we are getting old, and head in a bit later.
We never spent any resort time. That would have taken away from park time. In all of our trips to the World, I have never even been in a pool.

ValenciaCalling
09-17-2012, 10:35 AM
I'm the same way now too. Ever since I stayed at the Pop the first time, it's now my go-to hotel when I visit Disney World. I've stayed at every level, and yes they're all very nice, but we spend so much time at the park that all we really need when we get back is a bed and a shower. I can enjoy the other resorts if I want to go shopping or dining, so I feel like I get the best of everything.

Dr. Disney
09-20-2012, 12:15 PM
We spend so little time (overall) at the resort that we almost always opt for value resorts... Well, that, and the lower rates means more money to spend in the parks. I like the over-the-top themes in the value resorts.

i'm grumpy
09-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Values!! :thumbsup: Only stayed at PO once when sis had a 50% off CM discount.

brownie
09-21-2012, 10:58 AM
We spend so little time (overall) at the resort that we almost always opt for value resorts... Well, that, and the lower rates means more money to spend in the parks. I like the over-the-top themes in the value resorts.

:ditto:

Scrappy2
09-22-2012, 06:15 PM
No you are not insane. We always stay at the "values". We stay there simply for the cost. Most of our day is spent in the parks and not at the resort so for cost reasons that is why I choose them. If I was offered an upgrade to any resort I would jump on it.

SandmanGStefani24
09-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Nope! I always go value. I see it this way. The values are to me, the most "Disney" and most fun. Looking at the inside and outside of top end resorts you could really be almost anywhere. At a value, you KNOW you're at Disney. Plus, the money I save can be spent on gifts, food, or anything else. I just can't justify spending 3 to 4 times the price...

texas211
09-23-2012, 08:10 PM
We are considering trying the Values again. Though I've enjoyed the moderates, especially PORS. We are thinking about AoA or Pop. But I will never stay at any of the Allwhatevers. Plus the threat of more tour groups at the values. Where to stay is the decision the wife and I discuss. I prefer to spend more w/ more amenities while she says spend less in order to spend more else (more restaurants).

ANG
09-23-2012, 08:16 PM
It will be a LONG LONG time, if ever, that we will stay at a value again.

gottaluvtink
09-27-2012, 12:09 PM
I totally agree with the original poster. We LOVE the values. The theming makes you really feel like you are in Disney. You can't find that at any other hotel. We were upgraded to the Contemporary and Saratoga Springs, and I agree, I will never take an upgrade again. It just wasn't the same feeling. I felt like I was staying in a Hilton at the Contemporary and we absolutely HATED Saratoga Springs. We actually asked to be placed back in a Value, and ended up at the Movies, where we were much happier. We are definitely Value fans! If you are crazy, then so are we! :mickey: Next crazy trip, JANUARY 2013!

phlo8810
09-27-2012, 06:31 PM
My wife and I before kids loved the value you get from the value resorts. However now three kids later I could not imagine ever staying anywhere other than the villas. Being DVC helps with that but we love having days at the resorts. Also we need the extra room. My biggest thing is location. It is SO helpful being able to leave a park and walk back to the room for the kids naps or just to take a break. We really dislike relying on the buses especially after a long day/night in the parks. I will say though that you are not crazy and I too love the themeing of the values. When we were first married we used to walk on the boardwalk or go through the monorail resorts saying we'll "never stay in these". Now we are the ones saying we'll never stay in those! Would really like to check out the AoA resorts.