PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak question

thetraveler
09-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Best to arrive at Kissimmee or Orlando station? I'm thinking Kissimmee but not sure. Thoughts?

faline
09-09-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm sure train riders will be along shortly. I haven't done it but I believe the Kissimmee Station is closer than the Orlando station.

DizneyFreak2002
09-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Kissimmee is closer than the Orlando... I take Amtrak from NJ and Kissimmee is the station I always arrive in... There are cabs waiting to take you to your destination... Orlando is a main station, which means it is pretty big... I do believe you can rent a car from there as well, not sure what car rental company is there though...

I have taken Amtrak several times now... To me, if you don't fly, this is the way to go... Driving, well, yea driving is OK, but I'd rather take the train...

You are coming from North Carolina so your ride will be a lot shorter than mine... If you have any other questions, feel free to ask...

thetraveler
09-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks for your replies. This will be our first Amtrak experience.

Since you offered, I do have another question. We were going to just book seats..no roomlettes. Thoughts? We will be traveling with our two boys 16 & 10.

I'm fairly certain that seats alone will be OK but any thoughts would be appreciated.

DizneyFreak2002
09-10-2012, 01:28 AM
Thanks for your replies. This will be our first Amtrak experience.

Since you offered, I do have another question. We were going to just book seats..no roomlettes. Thoughts? We will be traveling with our two boys 16 & 10.

I'm fairly certain that seats alone will be OK but any thoughts would be appreciated.

I travel 24 hours from NJ... I never book the rooms... You do have plenty of leg room with the seats... You can recline back, only to a point so you aren't in the lap of the person behind you... The seat in front of you has foot rests as well.. And trays so you can eat at your seat...

When I travel, I bring a neck pillow... I also bring a portable DVD player with several DVDs, a few books, and writing material... I always make sure I have enough to keep me occupied...

The bathrooms, well, they can be hit or miss... Each car shares two bathrooms... So, if people in your car are messy, well, that can be a problem... What I usually do is, I bring either those doctor booties, or those Adidas sport flip flops with the velcro adjuster, if you know what I am talking about... I put them in a plastic bag separate from my luggage/carry on... You never know the mess on the floor.. :ack:

The train has a food car that closes at 10PM I think and reopens at 7 AM, maybe 8... I always bring my own food though... I pack a sandwich with 6 bottles of water for myself... The food on the train can get pricey....

Now, you are getting on the train in North Carolina, right?? Do you know what time your train leaves?? I know, when coming from NJ, we make several stops in North Carolina, all in the middle of the night... Yet, I always see a lot of people getting on the station stops there...

Again, anything else you are wondering, feel free to ask... I'll help you as much as I can.. :)

Janmac
09-10-2012, 09:55 AM
We were just at the Kissimmee station in April. There were 6 of us so we hired a transport service. That driver said he much preferred the trip from Kissimmee Amtrak to WDW rather than from Orlando Amtrak.

Back in the 70s we rented a car at the Orlando Amtrak. I think it was Rent-a-Wreck. And since then we have used Kissimmee.

The train stops at Orlando first, and you think, gee, we could get off here and be at WDW quicker, but in just a few minutes you'll be in Kissimmee.

As DizneyFreak says, there are cabs waiting.

As for your train, DizneyFreak knows: the restrooms can be messy (wet floors). When they're working, there is a light on the wall that indicates when each restroom is occupied. If you gotta go and both lights are lit definitely go to the next car and check if there is an open restroom there.

Kids sometimes want to walk around the car shoeless - not allowed, and not a good idea, even if it were allowed (see above).

The snack car and dining cars can be very crowded as well as pricey. Best to bring your own food. Train water can sometimes have a taste. We bring our own water.

The seats are very comfy. You will have a leg rest and a foot rest, I think (unless I'm confusing western trains?) I always bring a neck pillow and a light blanket. My niece brings an eye mask and my sister brings ear plugs. I have seen folks bring regular size pillows as well. The main lighting in the car is turned down at 10 pm but there is safety lighting still on which can seem bright.

Despite the seats being comfy, I usually don't sleep well the first night on a train, if it's been awhile since I've ridden. I'm very short, which makes the roomy seat a bit uncomfortable until I work out how to make it comfortable again.

As for rooms, they are booked up early and are expensive. Something like $700 for one night for the rooms that have the couch and chair.

There should be two AC outlets alongside the window for your electronic stuff. Lotsa folks use DVD players. Headphones are a good idea. And I think there is a jack on your seat arm for audio. The train can go through areas with no cell service; I pack a charger and keep the phone plugged in. I bring books to read even tho I spend a lot of time just looking out the window.

If you are boarding in the middle of the night, your car attendent will likely assign you seats. Generally a good car attendant will know there is a family boarding and will have seats together for you.

If you're taking the train home again, and boarding at Kissimmee, in April they boarded families first. The Kissimmee station is a small building while the platform, which is mostly a paved area along the tracks, stretches quite a bit away from the station.

You can check luggage at a manned station, if you're going to a manned station. Kissimmee is a manned station. Don't know where you're getting on but if that station is manned, you can check bags. Take only a carryon with your on board stuff and make things easier.

Amtrak tries to stay on schedule but south of Washington DC they run on tracks that belong to other companies and are subject to their delays, etc. I would not make any hard and fast plans for your arrival day, just in case.

Enjoy! We do.

Jan

thetraveler
09-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the info...very helpful. We'll be boarding in Rocky Mount NC...not sure if its manned or not.

thetraveler
09-10-2012, 11:00 AM
......and we're leaving around 7:30 pm.

DisneyDINK
09-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the info...very helpful. We'll be boarding in Rocky Mount NC...not sure if its manned or not.

RMT and KIS are staffed stations; baggage service is available if you want it.

(I worked for Amtrak for 12 years. I miss the free train travel, but I'm still glad I quit.)

DizneyFreak2002
09-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Jan gave a very good description... Though, I don't remember a jack on the arm rests for audio.. Possible I just didn't pay attention because I had my DVD player with me...

And as Jan said, yes, bring headphones...

Rocky Mount at 7:30 PM??? You are getting on the Silver Star I believe... I don't recall much about the Rocky Mount station... But I wouldn't worry about it not being manned... All the stations are manned.. There is one station in Florida, I think Palakta, which looks like it is in the middle of a trailer court...

Luggage of a certain size has to be checked in... YOu have 4 people with you, so you will probably have more luggage than I do (single traveler)... I usually put my stuff into a duffel bag and carry it on with me.. They allow 2 carry ons per traveler, and there is the over head space you can store your luggage, which is what I do.. I don't check it in anymore...

The Kissimmee station, as I said, is out in the open... You have a street with a few stores and I think restaurants on one side and a really nice looking landscape on the other... If you check in your bags, once you exit the train in Kissimmee, you have to walk down to the luggage claim area... it is outside near a garage looking structure, which doubles at the station office/waiting area (if you want to wait inside)...

Tip: Join amtrak's reward point program... Once you reach a certain amount of point, you can cash them in for free train tickets... You receive 2 points for every dollar spent on Amtrak travel... Here is the link: http://www.amtrak.com/guest-rewards

I hope you enjoy the train ride... I have some wonderful stories to share, I'll pop in later and share them with everyone...

Janmac
09-10-2012, 01:43 PM
I hope you enjoy the train ride... I have some wonderful stories to share, I'll pop in later and share them with everyone...

Love to hear your train stories! Been riding for years especially when our youngest grandddaughter was very young and DH was still working. Amtrak is a great way to get around the country if traveling solo.

Jan

DizneyFreak2002
09-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Love to hear your train stories! Been riding for years especially when our youngest grandddaughter was very young and DH was still working. Amtrak is a great way to get around the country if traveling solo.

Jan

OK, I have time to type up one right now... Not too long of a story, more like an experience...

The closest station to me is Newark Penn Station in Newark, NJ... The train I take is the 91 Silver Star to Kissimmee... The departure time is usually 11:22AM, depending if the train leaves New York Penn Station on time...

Well, the first year I took the train, there were no problems at all, heading down... No major delays, made good time... We were scheduled to arrive by 11:00 AM the next morning... We may have been a few minutes late, but nothing horrible..

The trip home, however, was horrible..

I take the 98 Silver Meteor out of Kissimee.. Departure time is usually 12:56 in the afternoon... Of course, as expected, the train was delayed a bit... Nothing you can really do about that, ya know?? Well, we got as far as Winter Park, which isn't that far at all, and we came to a stop... And didn't move... In fact, we were stranded in Florida for 7 hours.... That's right, 7 hours.....

A Conrail train derailed, causing us to be delayed... Needless to say, that 7 hour delay didn't make for a very pleasant trip home...

I'll tell you all another one later on...

Janmac
09-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Seven hour delay sounds about right. :thumbsup:

For years we did not take a ride on the train without some unexpected experience, often resulting in hours of delay (one notable '94 Disney trip), but luckily, no personal injury.

However - especially directed to those first time train riders out there - recently our Amtrak trips have been without unexpected experiences.

Almost feel like asking for a refund. :D

On our April Amtrak excursion I left the book I was reading in the room when I deboarded in Chicago. Discovered the loss within 2 hours. I contacted one Amtrak employee who pointed me to another who wrote down my info and where I'd be waiting for our next train. She said the cars from our train were already in the yard and she'd look into it further. About an hour later I was called to the customer service office where my book was waiting.

I did not expect to see the book again and was quite happy to be able to finish it.

Jan

DisneyDINK
09-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Seven hour delay sounds about right. :thumbsup:

In about 1994 I was working in the Portland, OR station and train 28, The Empire Builder from Chicago, arrived on time and then, about 15 minutes later, the previous days train arrived.

There had been a derailment in Montana, so the train was backed up many miles and rerouted on some slower track to the south usually used for coal trains. Then they hit another derailment. So they backed back up again to the original track, now cleared, just as the next days train was coming by.

Good times.

DizneyFreak2002
09-11-2012, 01:13 PM
OK, second story comes from my second trip with Amtrak...

So, I take the same train as I did the first time, leaving NJ the same time and all... So, anyway, we get out seats and settle in... The train starts moving, and I right away look out out outlet by our seats... Um, no outlet... Needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper... My friend felt around and finally found the outlet, buried behind the armrest of his chair (he was sitting next to the window, I was on the aisle seat)... So, the whole trip we could only plug one thing in at a time... Yea, was not fun trying to get my phone charged, his phone charged, and trying to watch DVDs... But, we made the most of that situation...

However, that was the only unpleasant issue... The car we were in, well, they couldn't regulate the temperature at all.. One minute we are freezing, the next we're sweating... Went on like that the whole trip down... And the worst part??? We lost running water at night, so no bathrooms... Was horrible...

And to top it off, somewhere in North Carolina, we hit a SUV which was left parked on the tracks... Someone was looking for an insurance claim!! LOL... So, we wound up stuck in NC for two and a half hours waiting for the State Police to make their reports and conduct their investigation... They wouldn't let the train leave until every passenger was asked if he or she was alright... Mind you, I never even felt so much as a bump...

So, we arrived in Kissimmee 2 hours later than scheduled... Some things you just can't control...

I'll post another story later today... :)

Janmac
09-11-2012, 05:57 PM
I've been on trains that can't seem to catch a break - one thing after another fails. Some passengers can go with the flow but others can't cope, making a tough time for the Amtrak employees even tougher.

One of the most amazing trips was last summer - on the Empire Builder - when we were on the second train to operate after months of no trains due to the North Dakota flooding. Water levels were still heartbreakingly high in many places.

Jan

Brer_Fox
09-11-2012, 06:22 PM
We took the train out of Philadelphia back in 2005. That was the closest station that would allow us to check luggage. And we arrived in Kissimee.

The experience was a blast. We had the roomette which was a bit tight but had a toilet right there so no need to share with anyone and it included 3 meals, B, L, D. The seats turned down into cots to sleep.

Another thing that I did, which I dont think was mentioned yet and I apologize if it has been, but you might want to consider calling a limo agency. Call and make the appointment before you leave and they will be there waiting to take you to your resort. I think for a round trip, to the resort and from the resort to the train was like $100 bucks plus gratuity. Just something to think about.

thetraveler
09-11-2012, 10:45 PM
I was going to use Quicksilver...an Intercot sponsor...for car service. But don't get me started.

Apparently they don't do Amtrak pickups...fair enough. What I do have a huge problem with is professionalism and their lack thereof. I spent time to inquire as to a round-trip service to and from the resort. The absolute least I would expect from a reputable business is a reply explaining their policy. Yet after several days....no response.
Utterly unprofessional.

Any suggestions on an alternative?

DizneyFreak2002
09-11-2012, 11:05 PM
OK, another story... This happened last year..

Took Amtrak down to Kissimmee to WDW for the 40th Anniversary... Absolutely no issues what so ever on the trip down... If you can script the perfect train ride, this was it... No delays, flew on down the tracks.. AWESOME!!! Even got into Kissimmee 15 minutes early...

Anyway, coming home, well, it was a comedy... First, the train hit a trailer before arriving in Kissimmee, that delayed the train two hours... You could see the damage when the train pulled in... Well, we got through Winter Park and then stopped so they can switch engine cars... Took maybe an hour or so... It may have even been longer.. I know we were behind schedule a lot..

So, we survived that... No issues with the car, the service, the outlets, the bathrooms.. Everything was smooth... But, this is where the trip became interesting...

I will admit, a cute girl sat behind me and my friend... Traveling solo from Orlando to New York City... She was visiting friends... Well, they sat a single male traveler with her.. I mean single as he was traveling alone...

Well, I guess as any guy would do sitting next to a cute female, he started chatting her up... But, he wasn't just chatting her up... He was bragging how his father was involved with Italian mafia, how they knew members of the mafia, talking about mafia business.. Everyone around us kept an ear open just listening to this guy's stories... Seemed like he was trying to impress her but was going about it all wrong... The kicker though, he gave her a ring, I don't know if it was a toy ring or what... But, the minute he left to use the rest room I turned around and said, Congrats, you are now engaged to a nut job... She was honestly spooked out by the guy... So much so that she actually left her seat and disappeared... No idea where she went... Maybe just to the lounge area... No idea... He disappeared too... But by then she was back in her seat... She was a very nice person, but him??? Nutter!!! Made for a very good laugh coming home...

DizneyFreak2002
09-11-2012, 11:08 PM
I was going to use Quicksilver...an Intercot sponsor...for car service. But don't get me started.

Apparently they don't do Amtrak pickups...fair enough. What I do have a huge problem with is professionalism and their lack thereof. I spent time to inquire as to a round-trip service to and from the resort. The absolute least I would expect from a reputable business is a reply explaining their policy. Yet after several days....no response.
Utterly unprofessional.

Any suggestions on an alternative?

I know they are an Intercot sponsor, but I found this company to be extremely unprofessional... I called them last year to ask about pick up from Amtrak to WDW and vice versa... The person who answered had a very nasty attitude... Very nasty...

I have a list somewhere of places that do pick up from Amtrak and bring you to WDW... Even stopping at a store if you want to without an extra charge... Let me try to find it for you... Just give me some time to locate the list...

thetraveler
09-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to rent a car or take a cab.

DizneyFreak2002
09-12-2012, 09:57 PM
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to rent a car or take a cab.

I cannot find the list that I had... I have to look up car services again to refresh my memory... Mears may provide car services... You can always check with them...

Janmac
09-13-2012, 08:45 PM
I too had a really odd encounter with the Quicksilver guy. Abolutely refused to go to Kissimmee to get us. Called everyone in Kissimmee some unprintable names. Quite offputting.

Anyway, I looked for reviews for companies and came up with 4 that seemed to have the best reviews. I called all 4 and could only get a person to answer at 2 of them. The other two wanted me to leave my name and number. This doesn't work with my schedule as a child care provider.

The two companies had the same rates, so we had one of them pick us up at the station and the other one pick us up from our resort for the return trip. Both were great and we'd use either again.

I will PM you with the names of the companies.

Jan

Janmac
09-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Nutter!!! Made for a very good laugh coming home...

Ok, DizneyFreak, you're going to single handedly reduce Amtrak ridership to nothing. :D

Guys like that are not common at all, altho we did run into a nutcase back in maybe '89 on the Southwest Chief I think it was. The train actually stopped at a crossing somewhere and the poor fellow was turned over to some ambulance guys.

Jan

DizneyFreak2002
09-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Ok, DizneyFreak, you're going to single handedly reduce Amtrak ridership to nothing. :D

Guys like that are not common at all, altho we did run into a nutcase back in maybe '89 on the Southwest Chief I think it was. The train actually stopped at a crossing somewhere and the poor fellow was turned over to some ambulance guys.

Jan

LOL.... I tell anyone and everyone "TAKE AMTRAK!!!"... I am a huge supporter... :) I love Amtrak... and I love taking the train...

I have actually met a lot of nice people on the train... Very nice people.. This guy, exception...

Truth is, you can meet a nutter flying too...

Janmac
09-13-2012, 10:15 PM
LOL.... I tell anyone and everyone "TAKE AMTRAK!!!"... I am a huge supporter... :) I love Amtrak... and I love taking the train...

Yup, me too. I tell everyone - take the land cruise.

Kinda aggravates me when politicians (Congress particularly because hey, they control the money) want to cut back subsidies for Amtrak. Why should Amtrak be self supporting and air travel is not?

And speaking of air travel - when the planes are grounded, what are people traveling by: Amtrak.

One Thanksgiving, maybe about '91 or '92, at the last minute I booked us on the Chief to go to New Mexico for turkey day with my mother. Big old snowstorm raged across Colorado, Kansas and into Missouri, closing airports - news showed folks sleeping over, waiting for flights. The tracks were in view of one of the major east/west highways across some of Kansas and we could see stranded vehicles. We had delays and were definitely off schedule. One woman said, "I'm sitting down, I'm warm, comfortable and moving. I'm not complaining." My thoughts exactly.

We got to our destination 12 hours late - for a 12 hour ride. Got a free steak dinner out of it. When we finally got to La Junta, CO, Amtrak loaded the steak dinners on board for everyone.

Felt bad for the Amtrak employees. They were based in California and every one of them were missing Thanksgiving with their families.

Jan

DizneyFreak2002
09-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Not even that, it is so much cheaper than flying (no charge for luggage)... Plus cheaper than driving... Amtrak, the way to travel...

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Not even that, it is so much cheaper than flying (no charge for luggage)... Plus cheaper than driving... Amtrak, the way to travel...

Agreed! It works for us!

I'm always glad to see more people thinking about the train.

thetraveler
09-14-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm really looking forward to the trip. The nutters don't bother me...I deal with them everyday.

On the other hand, the delays could be worrisome...but not enough to make me reconsider. I'll just cross my fingers....

DizneyFreak2002
09-15-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm really looking forward to the trip. The nutters don't bother me...I deal with them everyday.

On the other hand, the delays could be worrisome...but not enough to make me reconsider. I'll just cross my fingers....

You really can't help delays with any kind of travel... Things happen... Out of the conductors' control... I still think taking the train is a relaxing way to travel... Hope you enjoy the trip... You'll have to tell us how it went...