PDA

View Full Version : The Good, The Bad and The Magical 2012 HHI Day 1

Mackflava99
09-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Day 1 – Check in

Everyone was anxious to get to our resort, so it was easy to get them motivated. The ride from Savannah to HHI was very short, though we did get to see some very interesting dwellings on the SC backroads.....And we also stopped at a gas station from the twilight zone, (i could have sworn i heard banjos and saw a guy who looked like Ned Beatty....lol)

We arrived at the HHI resort around 10:45am. Way too early for us to check in, but we figured we would hit the pool and wait for our room. It was a gorgeous day.
We entered the gate, they asked our name and said “Welcome Home” – we parked and a CM met us at the door, wearing Mickey gloves. “Welcome Galloway Family!!”She said - it was very cool.
The check in was very personalized, I guess since we were the only ones there, they had everything ready, 2 CMS gave us the lowdown on the resort, activities etc. It was great. AND our room was ready.
They said it was a very rare case, but the other occupants had left a day early to return home before Isaac. We had the choice of taking that cottage (which was a downstairs one) or waiting for an upstairs at 4:30 – even though I wanted the upstairs, I gave in because it was so great to be able to check in so early. The check in CM (Rob from the UK) was so informative and just a happy and helpful person, I can’t say enough about the entire check in staff, they were great.
By 11:30 we had our room keys and drove over to our room. Talk about great luck!
We had a great cottage, close to the pool, and not far from parking. In a very quiet section.
The room was tremendous; it had a giant kitchen/living room in the center, with 2 bedrooms, one with a King and another with 2 queens. There was a built-in kitchen table, a great big whirlpool bath and a very nice deck with a picnic table and 2 rockers.
There were a couple of issues, we were missing a TV remote, the picnic table was very dirty and the AC was not working in the bedrooms. We called the front desk and they sent someone over with a new remote, had the deck cleaned and fixed the AC (filter needed changing too), All very quickly,
We quickly unpacked our stuff, and then ran out to get some groceries. – Hilton head Island has 2 grocery stores- Piggly Wiggly and Publix. Another visitor told us that PW was much more expensive, so we went to Publix. Hilton head has a lot of laws about store signs and shrubbery, so it’s not very easy to find anything. We eventually found a place for lunch and then we got what we needed at Publix. By 2:30 we were back at our room and then tried to see what we could do to enjoy the day.
First, we went to the main pool, it had a very nice waterslide (not as good as the Beach club, but pretty good,) we swam for a while, and then walked around the resort a little to get familiar with it.
I am a beach person, so I was already anxious to go to the beach, so we got in the car and drove to the beach house.
The HHI resort has a beach house that all guests can visit. It’s about 1 mile away, past a security guard and directly on the beach. I drove right past it (those small signs again) and had to turn around, but eventually we got there. It is a great place, there is a pool shaped like an “H”, a counter service (Signals) and a snack bar (Surf men). Signals is more of a lunch place, burgers, wraps, sandwiches, and it closes at 4pm and Surf man’s is just drinks and snacks and it closes at 5. These both allow the refillable cups, but are not open for dinner.
We took the access boardwalk, right to the beach; we found a nice spot, not far from the water. We had brought our own beach chairs, but you could also rent them. We jumped right in the water, which was very warm, but the waves were pretty rough. My kids did not enjoy getting knocked around. They usually wear goggles, but it was too difficult for them, so we eventually left the water.
Next stop was the “H” pool which was empty and we had a lot of fun playing volleyball.. We stayed at the beach house until 7:00pm and then drove back. We went to a local Wings place for dinner and
Made it back for the tail end of the campfire. We had some smores and walked on the pier. It was a beautiful night and a very good start to our trip. If we had not checked in until 4pm, we would have done a lot less.
The Good – Beautiful day, great time in the pools
The Bad – the strong waves due to Isaac
The Magical – The entire check in process was just ……..Magical

Dopey's Girl
09-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Fun day. I have always wanted to try out HHI...might have to look into that for next year!

faline
09-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Having your room available early was a real bonus! Despite the waves, it was a very nice day!!

January-2007
09-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the trip report!

Dsnygirl
09-05-2012, 08:36 PM
What a wonderfully warm welcome, and how perfect that your room was ready!! Bonus!! Sounds like the beginnings of a wonderful trip, despite the waves... hoping the rest was just as good!

awaggett
09-06-2012, 12:35 AM
HHI actually has a few more grocery stores--Harris Teeter, Bi-Lo, Fresh Market, Wal-Mart, and likely others. Our favorite is Piggly Wiggly--totally for the experience. You should check it out on your next visit!

mouseketeer mom
09-06-2012, 06:31 AM
Great first day! What villa did you get? We were in bldg 30 in July. And...we had NO waves almost the whole time we were there!

sonamae80
09-06-2012, 08:46 AM
I never knew there were "laws" in HHI about the trees and shrubery! But I agree, it makes it much more difficult to navigate the island by not being able to see the signs!

Thanks for sharing your report! ;)

Simba's Mom
09-06-2012, 09:01 AM
LOL! Those signs (actually lack of them) and the fact that everything is hidden behind trees is so much of Hilton Head's charm-and frustration. We think of it as a challenge-a giant "Where's Waldo" game. I remember one time, the server at Main Street Cafe gave us directions to Walgreens. Well, all we could see was a bunch of trees and I had visions of her back there laughing to her fellow servers, "You wouldn't believe where I sent those crazy tourists, they'll get lost for sure!" Then we rounded the last corner and found....Walgreen's. Isn't it kind of fun?

Mackflava99
09-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Great first day! What villa did you get? We were in bldg 30 in July. And...we had NO waves almost the whole time we were there!

We were in 26 - very close to 30

princessgirls
09-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Nice first day!
Glad check-in was magical. Sometimes that can make or break a trip...

You are off to a good start!

Julie:mickey:

Lindsey310
09-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the trip report!!! Love Hilton head island, stayed for one night in February in route to the Disney dream cruise. What a great place!! I would love to stay longer :mickey:

Simba's Mom
09-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Day 1 – Check in

We arrived at the HHI resort around 10:45am. Way too early for us to check in, but we figured we would hit the pool and wait for our room. It was a gorgeous day.
We entered the gate, they asked our name and said “Welcome Home” – we parked and a CM met us at the door, wearing Mickey gloves. “Welcome Galloway Family!!”She said - it was very cool.

I've been thinking about this, and I'm so jealous! In 11 check-ins at HHI, we've never gotten this. Did you do on-line check-in? I know that when you drive to the gate, you have to give your name and tell them you're checking in so they know it's you when you get out of the car. That is just so cool! I hope you took a picture to remember by.