PDA

View Full Version : The Good, The Bad and The Magical 2012 HHI Pre-Report

Mackflava99
09-05-2012, 01:21 PM
We just got back from a Week at HHI resort, So my Trip Report is a little slow, but
I purposely did not bring my laptop on vacation because I needed to get a break from technology…

Anyway- This is our pre-trip and drive to SC
The cast-
Myself - Bryan
My Wife - Donna
My Twin girls – (13) Taylor and Mackenzie

We had decided to try the HHI resort for the first time, as a change of pace and as a way to break up our summer since we were not going to WDW until December this year. We had heard many positive reports, especially from MousketeerMom and her family.
The threat of Tropical Storm (or Hurricane) Isaac was looming, we were not sure if it would hit our vacation destination or our home in NJ while we were away. I made sure the yard and house was ready before we left, I even tested the backup batteries on the sub-pump.
We left NJ early on Thursday, and drove straight through to NC. We had a few stops on the way, had some good meals, but hit some awful traffic on the Delaware Bridge (big accident) that really hindered our ability to stop at the Inner harbor. We lost about 4 hours to traffic, which was very unexpected.
Once we got past Baltimore, the ride was pretty smooth, we took rt. 301 to avoid the DC traffic and it was terrific. Besides the easy enjoyable ride without traffic, 301 has a lot to see, we passed our favorite store “Ham and Fireworks” and went over the Harry W. Nice Bridge. My kids asked me who Harry W. Nice was and why did he deserve a bridge. We looked it up and found out he was the governor of MD during the depression and had done a lot to balance MDs economy. We stopped at Golden Corral (kid’s choice) for dinner and eventually we were able to get to our hotel by 10pm, which while it was much later than we had anticipated, but not too bad. Except our hotel told us we only had 2 double beds instead of the 2 queens that were booked, plus we had a noisy AC- so the sleep wasn’t very good. We also kept hearing about Isaac coming towards where we were…
We got up, and started driving, it was a beautiful day, and I convinced my family to stop at South of the Border for a quick 15 minute stop. We had fun laughing at all the goofy souvenirs that had there. The bathrooms were actually very clean and the gas was the least expensive that we had encountered on I95. So Pedro surprised us a little. The gas prices had been climbing, and they were starting to impact our budget a little (not too much- but I had not expected the high prices to keep climbing)
Next stop was Savannah, GA, We had been to Savannah before, but wanted to spend a day and night here since we had a free day. We had a great hotel right downtown, the room was tremendous and it was walking distance from everything.
We walked around, saw some of the statues and fountains, then hit the waterfront, did some shopping and had a really nice dinner at some pub at the market. It was hot and humid, but I guess that is just normal for Savannah.
The next morning we took our time, had breakfast and walked around some more and started our preparation for HHI. The news forecast had Isaac moving away from us, more towards the Gulf, so we crossed our fingers and hoped for some good weather.

faline
09-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Except for the slow traffic, you're off to a good start!

Dopey's Girl
09-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Ham and Fireworks...that's just good stuff. There used to be a place by us called Taxidermy and Cheese. We never went in (SCARY!) but took lots of pictures by the sign.

Sounds like you are off to a fun start!

January-2007
09-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Sounds very fun!

Dsnygirl
09-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Sounds like a great beginning!!

princessgirls
09-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Except for the 4 hour delay you are off to a great start!!

Thanks for sharing!

Julie:mickey: