PDA

View Full Version : Fast Plus+ Experience

nls721
09-04-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm leaving for WDW in 2 1/2 weeks, got an email today about being one of a select group of people to test a new fast pass system. Did anyone else get this? I had the option of choosing 4 fast passes to MK while we are there on a specific date. It was neat because you could do the parades and get special viewing area. Just curious how "select" this group is or if everyone going is getting this email.

vicster
09-04-2012, 10:07 PM
We're leaving in 2-1/2 weeks also (9/21) and we didn't get that e-mail. Sounds interesting!

January-2007
09-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Preferred seating for the parade sounds great! I would love to watch a parade again, but DS is a toddler so we can't exactly make him wait on the curb for an hour to get a decent view! How exciting for you to have been chosen!

sassafras
09-04-2012, 10:23 PM
We're arriving the 14th and we got one of the emails for the FastPass+ test also. We just picked out our four experiences and are pretty excited about it...especially the special viewing areas for the parades. Can't wait to see how this all works!!!
:cloud9:

emmatink
09-04-2012, 10:40 PM
We just got an email also!!:thumbsup: 17 days and counting!

disneymom2000
09-05-2012, 08:20 AM
I was just reading up about this new idea yesterday. I don't leave for another 95 days, so I have my hopes up of getting one. How very exciting for you. :cloud9:

nls721
09-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Did you all get it for just MK? I'm so-so about it. I think it is neat but also I do not know right now that I am going to feel like riding Space Mountain on 9/24 from 515-615pm :)

I usually don't do parades because I don't like getting there so far ahead, so I choose the afternoon parade as one option then Wishes for the other.

Gator
09-05-2012, 11:45 AM
I really don't like this. Only select people are getting a perferred viewing section. Will this be the way it is in the future? Only a number of people get to view the parade, while the rest of us get fastpasses to Jungle Cruise for the third time. I guess the verdict is still out. Just leave well enough alone.

goofygonewild
09-05-2012, 01:07 PM
I really don't like this. Only select people are getting a perferred viewing section. Will this be the way it is in the future? Only a number of people get to view the parade, while the rest of us get fastpasses to Jungle Cruise for the third time. I guess the verdict is still out. Just leave well enough alone.

So if you were selected would you change your opinion or would you still say you don't like it? Not everyone receives a pin code but it is definately extra magical when you do. Just because someone receives a special surprise doesn't entitle everyone else to it as well. I am always happy to see someone receive things like this. I don't expect extras like this but it is fun to think I could get lucky sometime and certainly appreciate that Disney does this.

joonyer
09-05-2012, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure how I will like this, but we'd all better get used to some kind of change. It looks like the Fast-Pass next generation is coming no matter what, in some form or another. I'll have to wait to see how it all works out in the final iteration before passing judgment. I can remember well when there was no FastPass at all, and everybody waited in line, and nobody wants to go back to that system. But as someone mentioned in another thread, sometimes it seems as if Disney's MO is: "If it's broke, don't fix it, and if it ain't broke, let's change it." :(

emmatink
09-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Just booked our experiences and I am excited to see how it all works out. To answer a previous question, yes the experiences are only for the MK park.

Dyanna
09-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Hoping I get an email soon as our trip is now in 30 days!

BraddyB
09-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Hoping one comes my way soon, i am leaving in 23 days !!!

Simba's Mom
09-06-2012, 09:06 AM
No Email yet. We've got 2 trips reserved, one in 2 days then one in 46 days. I wonder if they're only targetting guests who reserved thru hotels and not DVC.

Melanie
09-06-2012, 09:09 AM
No Email yet. We've got 2 trips reserved, one in 2 days then one in 46 days. I wonder if they're only targetting guests who reserved thru hotels and not DVC.

I read, but have no idea if this is completely accurate, that those coming in on Magical Express on these target dates are the ones being offered this test.

mydisneygirls
09-06-2012, 09:41 AM
We leave in 2 weeks and I DIDN'T get an email!!! :confused: It's okay though...I usually don't sit for a hour to wait for the parade...this is when I get on the rides that usually have a long line. Looking forward to hearing from those that did how it worked out for them.

doodleboy
09-06-2012, 09:52 AM

I wouldn't doubt that DVC is not included. They already have us as a captive audience, no need to throw us an incentive to visit.

Buttercup
09-06-2012, 09:54 AM
They are just selecting a few people to TEST Fastpass+ over the next month or so. This isn't how it will be in the future.
In the future, everyone will have the option of pre-booking a "preferred viewing section" fastpass before their trip. Or, if you don't book a fastpass for the special seating area, then you can just grab a seat anywhere else along the parade route to watch the parade as usual.
Also, in the future, you will be able to pre-book other ride fastpasses as well.
Nobody is going to force you on to the Jungle Cruise if you don't want to be there.

mydisneygirls
09-06-2012, 10:00 AM
I wonder how much extra $$$$$ they are going to charge for this????

doodleboy
09-06-2012, 11:08 AM
I wonder how much extra $$$$$ they are going to charge for this????

Bingo! That is my real fear going forward. An additional charge to enjoy a feature like this may become a reality. We will just have to wait and see though as I hate to play the conspiracy theorist. I like change when it benefits everyone and it doesn't dig deeper into my pocket book.

I also don't want to have to plan on being at a particular park or even more so a particular attraction at a particular time on my vacation. Isn't it bad enough that it is impossible to find a place to eat besides quick service unless you book months in advance. Now if I don't plan on riding Jungle Cruise 60 days out I may have to wait in the standby line for 75 minutes?

nls721
09-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Someone mentioned about targeting Magical Express. Yep that is what we are doing. We are also staying at POP but we don't have our disney tix booked through Disney. We bought tickets on our own under the Military Salute program so with Disney targeting us, they technically don't even know we have tickets.

CMCTxMom
09-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Yes, Disney is testing the FastPass+ system with guests who are using the Magical Express between certain target dates.

KAJUNKING
09-06-2012, 03:15 PM
I read, but have no idea if this is completely accurate, that those coming in on Magical Express on these target dates are the ones being offered this test.

That may be true because I leave on the 21st and no email, no magical express....:mickey:

Quadstriker
09-06-2012, 04:43 PM
What I hope it ends up being when all is said and done:

Stay on property and get 2 fastpasses a day! Use your smartphone app or a handy kiosk at your hotel to pick them up before leaving for the park.

What I fear it will end up being:

Fastpasses! Get your fastpasses here! $9.95 a pop!

stephicakes
09-07-2012, 06:04 AM

I think you are right. We leave in 14 days and taking ME.... BUT we rented DVC points. No email for us. :nope:

Kwesty
09-08-2012, 04:18 PM
We just received our postcard in the mail today -- it looked beat up and like it had been in the mail for a few weeks!

I logged in and could only select FastPasses for certain days. It wasn't a day we planned on being at Magic Kingdom. I went ahead and proceeded thinking we might hop over to use them in the evening during Extra Magic Hours -- this ended up not an option.

A couple of my initial concerns --

Some of the rides were grayed out. I assume that means the FastPasses for those rides were taken. If this is how the system will continue -- I think it will turn into a CRT ticket and have mass hysteria over FastPasses.

Secondly, I picked the rides that were available and they assign a certain window for you to be there so I doubt I even use them. It would have been nice to be able to select your window.

My opinion thus far -- not great -- you would have to plan your entire day around your reserved Fast Passes. I'm a planner but not down to the minute. However, since this is a "test" they may perfect the system and it may end up being a good thing. I'll reserve complete judgement once the entire system is in place.

Kenny1113
09-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Someone mentioned about targeting Magical Express. Yep that is what we are doing. We are also staying at POP but we don't have our disney tix booked through Disney. We bought tickets on our own under the Military Salute program so with Disney targeting us, they technically don't even know we have tickets.

This was going to be my question. Thx :)

emmatink
09-08-2012, 05:20 PM
You actually can adjust your window after you reserve your initial attractions. After you select your 4 choices you can go back into each individual attraction and move the time frame. We originally had all of our times in the evening and I was able to go back and move some of the times to early morning and afternoon. I was also able to change from the late parade to the earlier parade in the evening. So there is some flexibility, at least there was when I signed up :blush:

ledudes
09-08-2012, 05:29 PM
The parades and wishes may have been neat to have gotten, but naturally they were all filled up so the rides don't really seem worth the trouble of being there at a certain time.

ledudes
09-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Well, I kept going back in and checking, and I ended up getting the electrical parade and wishes. We usually just wander by and watch the parade as it passes, but it will be interesting to see what the viewing area is like. I am hoping it isn't just an overly crowded roped off area. Has anyone done it yet? Wishes will be good to see from a viewing area becasue it is always soooo crowded out in front of the castle.

stephicakes
09-10-2012, 07:57 PM
ok - we just got our postcard and we are 10 days out :number1: It is definitely linked to ME (per the postcard message) since we rented DVC points and still received one. I am still not warmed up to the idea yet as deciding on times in advance can be a hassle (there are 6 people in our party) but I guess I will have to see how it works out once we are there. MK closes at 7pm the day we arrive (we fly in around noonish) so we chose JC, BTMRR, HM and Splash to use the FP+ on for that first afternoon. As others have said, times for attractions are limited. We'll see how it goes!

Can't wait! :coaster:

DNS
09-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Friends leave in 3 days and received this email. My concern is if this replaces the current system, that will finish off the spontaneity of vacation plans. Planning table service already locks you in to a certain park, place and time every meal, but now the rides too? I guess we will take what we get, but I have to say, I think it will take some of the fun out of it for us if we have to plan ride times well in advance. Hopefully it will work out much better than some of us think it will.

joonyer
09-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Here's a couple of thoughts about the FastPass (next gen) system, that apparently will let you arrange Fastpass times before you arrive at WDW.

Under the old system (with the return time window being enforced), your choice consisted of walking to the FastPass kiosk area, looking at the signs showing the current return times, and then deciding if you wanted to get a pass for that time or not. Your only other option for that attraction is to wait and come back later if you wanted a later FastPass time. But you would have to take the risk that there may be no passes available by then (very likely for popular attractions like Toy Story Mania or Soarin'). So in some cases, you have very little option either you get there early and get a pass when you can, or you may be forced to wait in the stand-by line to ride the attraction.

Under the new system, if it allows you to choose a time in advance, you may have more options than using the current system. If it completely replaces the old system, so that you could not get FastPasses at the parks anymore, or if you could only get passes for the most popular attractions by reserving them in advance, then there are going to be a lot of unhappy guests. But if they strike a balance between the two, still allowing guests to obtain FastPasses on site if they choose, then I see this new plan as only increasing your options to avoid stand-by lines, and that would be a good thing. If you can guarantee a FastPass in advance for TSM for instance, versus risking that you may not get one at all by going to the park, then it may work out alright.

Main Street Jim
09-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Some of the rides were grayed out. I assume that means the FastPasses for those rides were taken. If this is how the system will continue -- I think it will turn into a CRT ticket and have mass hysteria over FastPasses.

Secondly, I picked the rides that were available and they assign a certain window for you to be there so I doubt I even use them. It would have been nice to be able to select your window.

My opinion thus far -- not great -- you would have to plan your entire day around your reserved Fast Passes. I'm a planner but not down to the minute. However, since this is a "test" they may perfect the system and it may end up being a good thing. I'll reserve complete judgement once the entire system is in place.Here's the thing a LOT of folks don't understand about how FastPass worked/works: there are a *limited* number of FPs for any given attraction, based on the projected attendance for that time of year/that day. For example, at Space Mountain, the ratio was 80% of the guest attendance would be the number of FP's for that day (and it is at most attractions). 20% of the projected attendance was the stand-by. Stand-by could be more, could be less; it just depends on how much of that 80% of guests will actually *get* FPs.

Now...this new system...I'm wondering...if they're factoring those guests into the original "80% FP guests", or, if they're taking away from the 20% of "Stand-by guests" (like say, maybe 5%? So that total FP distribution would be 85%/15%?). If they're factoring them (these "reservation" type FPs) into that 80%, then that means that *less than* 80% of guests *in the park* will be able to get FPs, because they'll be running out of FP's quicker. Understand what I'm getting at?

Looking at actual numbers: say, in a 10-hour day, Space Mountain puts...20,000 people through. In one hour, that means that 2,000 people are making it through the ride. Let's say it's a busy time, so the FPs are all gone by 2:00pm. Of that 2,000 people going through, 1,600 are FP; 400 are Stand-by. With this new system, will they factor in those "reserved FP's" with the 1,600, or will they allow more FPs per hour to be distributed, cutting the Stand-by down to say, 200 instead of 400. So now, 200 more people will *have* to plan their day around a one-hour window in order to enjoy the attraction; if they don't, then, they either get stuck in the Stand-by, waiting an additional 30-45 minutes while those 200 "extra" FP guests come through.

See what I'm getting at? With this system, you'll have to plan out every hour - if not every half-hour - in order to enjoy the FP attractions.

Christine
09-12-2012, 09:14 PM
So where does this leave locals? No FPs for us?:confused:

mydisneygirls
09-12-2012, 09:26 PM
We leave in 10 days, are on the Magical Express and DID NOT receive the Fast Pass email or postcard.

MargaretMessler
09-12-2012, 09:28 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The old system worked fine. No need to clog it up with more off-shoots.

FPs before I even arrive?!? I don't even decide what park I'm going to until the night beforehand. It's vacation, I just refuse to be that rigid in my planning.

Gut feeling, it ends up being "tested" for a period of time and then we go back to only having the regular system as we have known it for years. Maybe I'm off base, but I don't think the majority of people will favor the new system.

awaggett
09-13-2012, 01:39 PM
We arrive on the 21st via Magical Express. I received a FedEx this morning from Disney with the Fast Pass Express information. I was super excited having read your posts. We were able to pick one day during out trip, then four experiences for that day. It seemed all were available (but to be honest, I didn't "click" them all). I chose the experiences/times that worked best--between 6 pm and 11 pm that Saturday night we will hit Pooh, Jungle Cruise, Fireworks, and MSEP. We are not usually the folks that stake out a spot for fireworks or parade, but thought we'd try something new.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

vicster
09-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Just booked our experiences and I am excited to see how it all works out. To answer a previous question, yes the experiences are only for the MK park.

I can't seem to book ours - does not seem to recognize my confirmation #. What am I doing wrong?

Grumpy.
09-17-2012, 03:08 PM
I can't seem to book ours - does not seem to recognize my confirmation #. What am I doing wrong?

I had to take the spaces out of the confirmation number in order for it to work. Maybe try that.

Dr. Disney
09-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Going in 12 days and haven't received anything yet :(

Pick me, Pick me :number1:

vicster
09-20-2012, 12:07 PM
That may be true because I leave on the 21st and no email, no magical express....:mickey:

We're leaving on the 21st also and we received a package FedEx approximately 8 days prior to the date we're leaving.

Pally
09-20-2012, 02:39 PM
I wonder if this is for US residents only. I would love to receive this perk. We are using ME. I can always hope.:mickey:

Grumpy.
09-20-2012, 02:42 PM
I wonder if this is for US residents only. I would love to receive this perk. We are using ME. I can always hope.:mickey:

Nope. Not only for Americans. We're Canadian AND booked thru a TA and we were picked for it.

vicster
09-20-2012, 02:47 PM

I can't see that - they don't know if you're a US resident when using ME. Plus Disney loves having the international guests as do I!

taleasoldastime
09-20-2012, 03:52 PM
I also am not fond of the idea so far. It seems like WAY too much planning. My favorite disney trips are the ones that are spontaneous and this seems to take away all of that. Im not trying to plan minute for minute but if they switch to this then it seems like i will be forced to in order to get anything done.
I guess we will just have to see how it turns out though.

Pally
09-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Well, I can see where this might be quite beneficial to some people especially newbies. I can't tell you how many times I have seen people walking around frustrated because they have not planned, had no clue where anything was located to even what they wanted to do let alone even knew what was being offered and were ready to pack up and go. I know some people who said they barely were able to get on any rides because they were so disorganised. We all know these type of people. Of course not us because we obsess. I have been told by my family that I am somewhat commando in style.:blush: I love to research but I know a lot of people just like to wing it (newbies) and get into trouble and feel like they have wasted a lot of money.

Imagineer1981
09-22-2012, 03:42 AM
Mixed feelings...gotta think on this one.

AXOAlum
09-23-2012, 09:54 AM
For parades/fireworks in a certain reserved seating section ONLY, then I think it is fine... for any attractions, however, I say NO!!

We always stay on property and we always hop - I think this new system would force more people to do both (assuming the future would mean more FP+ for those on property) which means more $$ even though you may not be paying directly for the service.

We have booked a rather last minute trip (60 days out) and we are so limited on ADR offerings. I can't imagine having to know that I would be at MK at Splash at 11am for my FP+. There are too many variables that can go wrong - bus breaks down, someone is sick, a meet & greet where a character spends more time with your little one than planned... too many things that could prevent you from being in line at your assigned time.

Now - if they want to greet you at the park on your way in and say here are your choices, that's another thought. You know you are in that park, you know your dining plans for that day - much easier to plan once you are on site, and seems more fair for everyone that way.

TikiGoddess
09-23-2012, 02:02 PM
I don't see the problem with this new system.

If you can plan ahead, and know when you're going to be in a certain park, you use the FP Plus. If your plans change last-minute, then don't use the FPs. Wait standby or get in-park FPs.

If you can't plan ahead, or prefer not to, use the in-park FPs as usual. Disney will not do away with the current system -- FP Plus is just an add-on to it.

Kathy

figgie
09-23-2012, 02:41 PM
I agree Christine, where does this system leave us local people? We frequent the parks, pay our money and are loyal guests, are we out of the new system all together?:confused:

disneynarula
09-25-2012, 10:12 AM
I agree Christine, where does this system leave us local people? We frequent the parks, pay our money and are loyal guests, are we out of the new system all together?:confused:

Perhaps they are just using Magical Express customers to test it out? I have to agree that this sort of stinks. We are staying off property for a week before we check into Art of Animation and we rented a car so we are not using Magical Express. My MIL is going to fly in and she is using ME. Maybe she will get the information if they are testing the system during our trip.

Honestly, I think this is an awesome idea. We are not frequent fliers to WDW and we want to be able to see most of the major attractions. If I can do that without long waits then... hooray!!!If we can guarantee ourselves a spot for the parade without waiting for an hour I am totally up for that.
It's not like they are doing this for every attraction, right? There are still some rides that don't have or need Fastpass. You can ride all these rides when ever you want to.

At this point I have already secured my ADRs and that kind of forces us to make some sort of rough plan anyway. If I know I am going to be in the Magic Kingdom on a given day then planning a specific time to ride an attraction is not that big of a deal to me.

Not to be :thedolls: but I would probably even be willing to pay a nominal fee for this. We tend to stay in values and moderates. We stayed at a deluxe once and we loved it but we were staying on a stipend from my husband's work. I can't say it would ever be worth it to me to spend hundreds of extra dollars per night to stay in a nicer room but I would totally be on board for spending an extra few dollars a day to avoid lines.

Grumpy.
09-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Just did the trial day yesterday. (Sitting in Everything Pop right now).

I liked using the Fastpass +. It was cool to pick the times you wanted for the attractions you wanted. What I really liked was, you were still able to use in the in-park Fastpass system as well. So you knew you had certain fastpasses covered and could pick and choose a couple more. It was a fairly busy day and we spent a small amount of time in line. We did have to do some zigzagging across the kingdom to meet the ride times but we managed to do it. If they don't allow you to still use the in-park system, I wouldn't have liked it.

As for people waiting to see if there are picked for the trial, this one ended on September 24. Not sure if or when the next one will be.

mydisneygirls
09-25-2012, 10:28 PM
We too are here now and used the new Fastpass. Here's the thing...you do get to pick the ride you want to use it on (we chose 4 rides for the day and they were all at different times) but you can only use it once. It's not like you can use it continuously within the hour. I asked a cast member about it and he said that they are going to use it to replace the paper Fastpasses but that's all he knew. I guess Disney is trying to go "Green" and save on the paper. My original thought was that they were going to charge for this but I don't think they will....just trying to eliminate the Fastpasss lines and reduce on paper. To me, makes sense.

awaggett
09-28-2012, 06:01 PM
We had our trial last Saturday (22nd). For the rides, it was just like the regular Fast Pass system (except scheduled in advance).

We also used ours for the Fireworks and Parade. For the fireworks we got to watch from the rose garden area in front of the castle--great viewing--so close to castle and Tink flew directly over. Sitting on damp grass was not as fun, but not a big deal!

The parade viewing was in Hub, across from Castle--good spot, but for the 10 pm parade, it was not really necessary to have a secured spot--there was plenty of space.

All-in-all, good experience. Not sure I would like to plan out all my days of my trip far in advance, but one evening was fun!

Lizzie
09-28-2012, 07:58 PM
How far out did you get the postcard? We go Nov 9.

MadMadamMim
09-30-2012, 08:00 PM
We just used the new program last week to view Wishes in the Rose Garden. (We were unable to use the other three because we decided to go to a different park). It was an amazing viewing spot BUT we totally lucked out and got there early because there were not enough seating areas for the amount of people they let in. Let me tell you there were some super grumpy people when they found that out (I guess sitting on the ground did not appeal to them).

vicster
10-01-2012, 09:17 AM
We used ours last week and it was pretty awesome! I would definitely pay for it.

Aurora
10-01-2012, 09:28 AM
We just used the new program last week to view Wishes in the Rose Garden. (We were unable to use the other three because we decided to go to a different park). It was an amazing viewing spot BUT we totally lucked out and got there early because there were not enough seating areas for the amount of people they let in. Let me tell you there were some super grumpy people when they found that out (I guess sitting on the ground did not appeal to them).

I don't think I would have been very happy either, especially if I had rescheduled the day to be there. :rolleyes: I guess that's why it's in "beta" mode right now.

ledudes
10-09-2012, 05:04 PM
We used ours a couple weeks ago. I think it was kind of nice for the fireworks and parade, but not really a necessity. I didn't love waiting in line for my viewing area on the lawn but we did plan along wiht our schedule so we were able to do it all pretty easily. It was nice to have the past pass for meeting Mickey casue we times it where we would all be entering the park and could get one nice posed group photo.

tjstrike
10-10-2012, 01:56 AM
We used ours last week and it was pretty awesome! I would definitely pay for it.

Why would you pay more money for FP's when they are free right now ? This is exactly why they do things like this. If it ain't broke, don't fix it !!!! :mad: