PDA

View Full Version : Episode 38 - A Porkstravaganza

John
09-04-2012, 11:30 AM
The Cast: Ian, Melanie, Carol, Michael, Gary & John

- The singing starts early

- Celebrate the Magic - new night time show coming to Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World. *Magic Memories and You going away.

- Ian cries at Finding Nemo the Musical - NOT MY DAD!

- The INTERCOT 15 and other assorted stuff. *Buy INTERCOT’s single - the Yeti is Down on iTunes featuring Capn’ Tom.

- Halloween Merchandise showing up in the parks.

- The INTERCOT Countdown Timer & INTERCOT’s YouTube Channel. *We discuss video on the site.

- Splash Mountain leaving Extra Magic Hours

- Country Bears Shortening Show? *California Grill going down for lengthy rehab.

- The Be our Guest mess… advanced dining reservations. You’re a resort guest and can’t even eat at your own restaurant.

- Best of Resort Pool thanks to Tiggeria. Carol chooses the Polynesian. John recalls the pool back in the early days of Disney World, swimming in the 7 seas lagoon and the wave generator. Ian prefers Stormalong Bay. Mel goes with Corando Springs. Gary thinks the Wilderness Lodge is a good choice. Michael looks forward to the Monorail pool completion. John decides to go with the Contemporary circle pool for nostalgia reasons or any quiet pool at any resort.

- Enchanted Tales with Belle looks very cool. Ian is about 10 minutes behind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XFIzIx08X4&feature=share&list=SP7C23A7E41055A9F9

- Frost Fairy Perriwinle coming to Disney Parks. Gary thinks she’s hot.

- Phineas and Ferb & YOU: A Brand New Reality

- The Imagination Rainbow Tunnel - Mel and John share memories.

- Keep Moving Forward Epcot Segway Tour. *We suggest a level 200 class for those going for a second ride.

- Classic INTERCOT Podcast technical glitch. The deluge…

- Last Phase of Art of Animation Opening

- INTERCOT Fantasy Football League

- We salute Neil Armstrong - Prime - A Man on the Moon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CDG8JW/intercotcom

>> LISTEN, DOWNLOAD, LOVE, TELL A FRIEND, RINSE & REPEAT (http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2012/episode-38.asp)

BriarRose0708
09-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Listening on my lunch!:mickey:

dpamac
09-04-2012, 12:38 PM
I can't recommend that book enough. Really great read, great history of the Apollo program. Even if that is Buzz on the cover (you can see Neil in the reflection of his visor). Buzz barely took any photos of Neil.

Pooh Fan
09-04-2012, 01:26 PM
I was hoping desperately that a new podcast would come out this week. :thumbsup: DW and I are leaving from Detroit on Saturday to fly to Vegas. I will certainly be listening to this episode en route.
I will also be re-listening to episode 36 to hear Michael's info on DLR and Cars Land. We are taking 2 days out from our Vagas trip to head to DL. Staying for 2 nights and going to spend a day at each park. First time at DL for both both of us. Can't wait! Now to just resist the urge to listen to the podcast before we are on the plane.

Dopey's Girl
09-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Loved Mel's slip about the newest addition to the Icot15 attendee list. You could totally tell that it was a slip up. Made me laugh!!!

Melanie
09-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Loved Mel's slip about the newest addition to the Icot15 attendee list. You could totally tell that it was a slip up. Made me laugh!!!

It SO was! We (or rather Gary) were going to announce it, but I didn't mean to do it at all. :blush:

Buzz barely took any photos of Neil.

Not surprised.

AgentC
09-04-2012, 02:30 PM
It SO was! We (or rather Gary) were going to announce it, but I didn't mean to do it at all. :blush:

:D I think the funniest part was everyone's reactions to the slip. Great news, no matter how it came out. :thumbsup:

And I am so excited the podcast came out an a day I could listen!

Dopey's Girl
09-04-2012, 03:11 PM

You could totally tell by how you reacted! I snorted at my desk. Today the person over the cube wall asked me if i was listening to another podcast....like I have said before, they all think I'm nuts.

So happy Gary gets to join us all!

Favorite pool...I'm thinking after October it will be Stormalong Bay, but for now, it's any of the quiet pools in the POR. On more than one visit, I have been the only one in any one of those pools!

SBETigg
09-04-2012, 03:21 PM
My favorite pool is the Courtyard Pool at the Grand Floridian. It's basic, no bells and whistles, but it's so relaxing and friendly and you can see the fireworks from it at night-- plus the hot tub is right there for easy bouncing between pool and tub. It's certainly not going to be called "the best" by most people, but it's my favorite.

My first stay at WDW, Epcot was just being built, so it was MK and Lake Buena Vista (which later became Downtown Disney, and was quiet then but beautiful with fairy lights in all the trees). And River Country. Melanie, driving in back then, you would pass the Lake Buena Vista area first and I got so happy when I could spy the top of the Empress Lilly riverboat (now Fulton's) through the trees. I knew we were close. We drove by the Epcot construction on the way to the MK and loved all the billboards.

We stayed at the Contemporary because the Polynesian was booked, and after park hours the main entertainment was dinner shows (Top of the World, now California Grill, and the Poly luau) and Lake Buena Vista shopping and dining (the Empress Room). It was a different world, but just as impressive for my 12 year old eyes.

dpamac
09-04-2012, 03:37 PM
We stayed at the Contemporary because the Polynesian was booked, and after park hours the main entertainment was dinner shows (Top of the World, now California Grill, and the Poly luau) and Lake Buena Vista shopping and dining (the Empress Room). It was a different world, but just as impressive for my 12 year old eyes.

I'd still find it impressive now. Contemporary, Poly and the Castle make a really cool triangle.

Melanie
09-04-2012, 03:53 PM
but for now, it's any of the quiet pools in the POR. On more than one visit, I have been the only one in any one of those pools!

Those are nice pools! I think John mentioned the ones in the Bayou section, but I love the ones in the Mansions.

SBETigg
09-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I'd still find it impressive now. Contemporary, Poly and the Castle make a really cool triangle.

Oh, of course. The excitement never fades. I miss the old pre Downtown DIsney at that area, but everything else has only gotten better. The Seven Seas Lagoon area is still my favorite place to stay, probably due to my early fondness.

dpamac
09-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Those are nice pools! I think John mentioned the ones in the Bayou section, but I love the ones in the Mansions.

My daughter has not thrown up at a mansions pool. Now that she's older I guess that won't be a concern for us. But, still, I thought we could go for a record.

Melanie
09-04-2012, 03:59 PM
My daughter has not thrown up at a mansions pool. Now that she's older I guess that won't be a concern for us. But, still, I thought we could go for a record.

LOL! Good to know. :ack: :nono:

dpamac
09-04-2012, 04:45 PM
She eventually learned to swim with her mouth closed.

DisneyDINK
09-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Early on in the podcast you were talking about the Fantasyland Theater in DL. When I was a youth I used to dance there a bit. I believe it was originally Videopolis, a dance club to compete with other youth dance clubs including Studio K at Knott's Berry Farm.

I saw Samantha Fox perform there on Grad Night 1989. Now there's a Disney moment!

The last time I was there it was a big princessy show.meet 'n greet thingey.

AgentC
09-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Favorite pool is a hard one for me.

My first instinct is to say Stormalong Bay. There is just so much to do there for the kids. When my son wasn't very brave with water slides, the kiddie pool with it's mini slides was very reassuring to him.

I also really love the water play area at AKL- Kidani. It is fantastic and the pool is very good too. Great theming. At the moderate level, I think I give a slight edge to POR.

My first trip to Disney was when I was 6. We drove from MA to FL in a big old panel side station wagon and stayed at a Ramada Inn with a huge pool. Only MK was there at the time. We had the old ticket books for the rides. I don't remember a lot of details but I vague remember riding the monorail in from the parking lot. I also remember the 20,000 Leagues under the Sea ride and the Haunted Mansion stuck with me for years. :)

We didn't come back until I was 16. I never stayed on site until I moved to FL and since them we almost never stay offsite.

Oh and for any of you who are missing having kids with you at MNSSFP, mine are available to rent. :D

Buttercup
09-05-2012, 11:58 AM
OH MY GOD YOU GUYS ARE ON THE BALL!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I was so excited to see this podcast was available!
Way to go guys!!!
:mickey: :rocks:

darthmacho
09-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Once again I'm finding out about this a day late. I could really have used this on my first night back to work last night after being off for 17 days! :(

Seriously, thanks for the podcast. ;)

Septbride2002
09-06-2012, 11:26 AM
As usual - fantastic podcast! Probably one of my favorites - lots of WDW topics plus bantering. :)

Favorite Pool: I am one of the people that likes the Creepy Clown Pool at BW. That slide is so much fun! We also like the quiet pool in the DVC area. Nice and big and right next to the community center. Carol has me nervous because we are staying at BCV next trip and my kids love the pool slides. I didn't realize they would have to go all the way out of the pool area to get to it. We like to always have them in our line of sight...

The Belle meet and greet looks so cool! My daughter is at the perfect age for this. I am really really hoping that maybe we will get a soft opening preview of it.

Hooray for Gary going to the Meet! Now if only you guys would change the dates to a bit earlier in Oct....

Melanie
09-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Oh and for any of you who are missing having kids with you at MNSSFP, mine are available to rent. :D

Did I say I'd be missing my kids at MNSSHP? ;) But I'd love to go with yours Cindy. They are dolls. :) What are they going to dress up as? :pumpkin:

dpamac
09-06-2012, 02:50 PM
They are dolls. :) :

Really? I'm suspicious now. :thedolls:

Quadstriker
09-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Hooray for Gary going to the Meet! Now if only you guys would change the dates to a bit earlier in Oct....

Word. We fly out as everyone is flying in.

Melanie
09-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Word. We fly out as everyone is flying in.

Still bummed about that. :(

BrerGnat
09-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Just finished listening today as I cleaned the hundred thousand square feet of wood floor in my house. :drama:

I have to say, I was expecting a lot more pork. A better title would have been "It's not therapy" (uttered towards the end by Michael) cause you guys just kept on talking and talking and talking...:rotfl:

Just kidding. Very fun episode.

Stormalong Bay is the best Disney pool ever! But, I agree with Michael that the new Monorail pool at DLH is A-Mazing, although I haven't actually swam in it.

Can't wait for the next podcast!

AgentC
09-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Did I say I'd be missing my kids at MNSSHP? ;) But I'd love to go with yours Cindy. They are dolls. :) What are they going to dress up as? :pumpkin:
They would love that. Katerina has changed her mind 4 times. Right now Pop Star is in the lead. Laurence isn't sure.

Really? I'm suspicious now. :thedolls:

:funny: I'll let you be the judge.

Melanie
09-06-2012, 06:24 PM
I have to say, I was expecting a lot more pork. A better title would have been "It's not therapy" (uttered towards the end by Michael) cause you guys just kept on talking and talking and talking...:rotfl:

Seriously! I thought we'd never stop too, and I was probably very guilty of extending the conversation. :D

darthmacho
09-07-2012, 07:30 AM
I had a really hard time listening to this episode, not because of the quality, it was great as usual, but because each time you guys broached a new subject, I felt heartsick that my trip was over and it will probably be a million years before we go again. :(

Anyway, thanks for the podcast. It does help me get through work. :mickey:

SBETigg
09-07-2012, 08:21 AM
My only problem was that Michael never revealed which hoodie he was wearing at the moment, and which he plans to pack for WDW (see previous podcast).

DisneyKim22
09-07-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm only about 25 minutes into the podcast so far and am loving every minute of it, but here is what I find funny (well, one thing anyway)...

John - do you realize it only takes Mel 1.5 seconds to give the date, but it takes you 20 seconds to sigh and whine about it? :laughing:

Just sayin' ;)

dpamac
09-07-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm only about 25 minutes into the podcast so far and am loving every minute of it, but here is what I find funny (well, one thing anyway)...

John - do you realize it only takes Mel 1.5 seconds to give the date, but it takes you 20 seconds to sigh and whine about it? :laughing:

Just sayin' ;)

But that means it took you 21.5 seconds to listen, plus extra time to type your analysis.

Aurora
09-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Boy you all really took me back when you were talking about swimming in Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake and River Country, and the long drive up to the resorts when there was just the Magic Kingdom, and Hoop-De-Doo Revue and Discovery Island.

And whenever you asked when something opened or closed, I found myself shouting possible dates at my iPod, and thinking, this should be a call-in radio show!

Anyway, thanks for bringing me back to my childhood. It was fun!

Melanie
09-07-2012, 04:43 PM

Just sayin' ;)

HAHAHAHA! Thing is, if I remember correctly, I think I had a legit reason to state the date. I wasn't just trying to be a smartie. ;)

wildernesslady
09-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks for another great one. I would have to go with the villas pool at the wilderness. The hidden springs are fun and we have some great memories from there.

Buttercup
09-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Hey, I know it's not "family friendly", but could someone PM me the link to that Horizons website they were talking about at the end of the podcast, where 2 guys got out of their cars and were walking around documenting the ride?

dpamac
09-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Hey, I know it's not "family friendly", but could someone PM me the link to that Horizons website they were talking about at the end of the podcast, where 2 guys got out of their cars and were walking around documenting the ride?

On its way.

JPL
09-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Difficult to listen to without wanting to chime in! How did you guys miss the pool at Kidani in the "Best of" :confused:

dpamac
09-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Difficult to listen to without wanting to chime in! How did you guys miss the pool at Kidani in the "Best of" :confused:

Please tell me you were listening on the way to work and chimed in anyway so that you can be THAT guy on the train!

JPL
09-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Actually on the way home from work! Not sure if I said anything out loud but was definitely thinking loudly ;)

disneykidsince1970
09-17-2012, 09:08 AM
first day back to work after a 6 wk medical leave (knee surgery- nothing too serious) and decided that a podcast would be needed to help me get thru the day! FAB as usual!! FAVE POOL: RIVER COUNTRY - remember the tubing ride? and the slides that only went half-way down and dropped you into the pool? Scared to me to death at 8 yrs old!! (probably still would!)

Gary!! - my old STL compadre... (yes, we lived in Des Peres when the rec center opened and it was fabulous!)...

you sound like a big Space Center afficiando..? We are coming to the space coast for a few days in October. We won't be able to Disney but we are trying to plan a day at Kennedy. Kids are 5 and 7. We will also have our two dads - with recent hip and knee replacement surgeries... any suggestions?? helpful hints??

on to listen to podcast 39............

iceicebritney
04-12-2013, 07:22 PM
I've been on podcast hiatus for a bit so I'm catching up on all the episodes I've missed and I must say this was a good one!

Favorite pool is hands down storm along bay! I hated the sand bottom pool when I was a kid at the resorts grand opening. When i was a kid, the poly pool was my favorite. I spent hours on that waterfall slide! As I got older, I really grew to appreciate storm along bay for its theming, the current, the slide and how beautiful it is at night. It's now my absolute favorite pool.

Life at Disney in the early years was much simpler than it is now. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy every minute there today but there are times where I also miss the days of swimming in seven seas lagoon, watching the characters water ski, river country and riding up front on the monorail.