PDA

View Full Version : August in Disney

CzepielCrew
09-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Has anyone had an absolutely miserable time in the month of August?
Weather or otherwise?

Disney Hungarian
09-03-2012, 09:38 PM
I Just got back on the 30th of August. The heat was OPPRESSIVE!!! The crowds were light depending on the EMH park. Went back to the resort in the afternoon for a break. Went from ride to shop to ride to enjoy the AC the way mother nature intended. :thumbsup:

Pirate Granny
09-04-2012, 07:45 AM
A few years back, the only time I went in August we got rain every day...some days most of the day. We were at AKL and I didn't (couldn't) swim everyday. Boy was it humid...but we got our monies worth out of those poncho's and bought two umbrellas. My picture for that year is main street in a poncho...

Melanie
09-04-2012, 08:00 AM
We went a couple years in a row ('09 and '10) at the beginning of August and after the second time we vowed that was it. It's HOT. H O T hot! And at that time crowds are still pretty thick. Some folks can handle it better than others.

faline
09-04-2012, 08:22 AM
August is very hot and humid. That said, it is still manageable. Know going in that you need to go at a slower pace. You will need to drink LOTS of fluids - stay well hydrated. If you plan to stay in the parks all day, be sure to intersperse outdoor time with indoor time - a show, browsing a shop, having a nice meal. Otherwise, plan on a mid-day break back at your resort. Take some time to go to the pool, hang out in your room and cool down. Go back to the parks in the early evenings when you're feeling more refreshed and the heat index has gone down just a tad.

Typically, there aer rain showers most every day. Some can be rather intense but most don't last long.

Disneymom4ever
09-04-2012, 08:40 AM
The first time we went in August, I said never again. I had never felt heat and humidity like that, it was just so hot! I'll never forget waiting for an attraction outside, and when the doors opened everyone applauded just to go in the A/C. That and you can set your watch to the afternoon storms every day. (They actually feel good though in my opinion, and don't usually last long). Now, that being said, my son is now going to a university 30 min. from the parks, and August is the only time we seem to be able to work in with our schedules. We just go before we drop him off. So, I would still go then if that were my only option, but I just know to take it easy, have many A/C breaks, and drink lots of water!

Dsnygirl
09-04-2012, 08:53 AM
Nope... but we've only been once. It was indeed hot -- but we had rain every afternoon but one, and the evenings were MUCH better b/c of it. The one day it didn't rain, we did feel quite a bit more tired by evening than we had the other days, though! We took pool breaks almost every day, and definitely went in more shops to get some a/c... but being a shopper, no complaints here!! :blush: We said we'd do it again, though, heat & all... as long as you're ready for it, willing to slow your pace & manage it, it's not that bad... you just have to prepare for it. :)

VWL Mom
09-04-2012, 09:36 AM
We've done the 3rd week in August for the last 2 years. As others have said, it's hot but manageable, late afternoon showers every day, and FL schools are starting back so crowds are more manageable. We drink lots of water and go back for a break in the afternoon and it works out well.

BrerGnat
09-04-2012, 09:41 AM
I can't deal with August, personally.

We just went on a Disney cruise a couple weeks ago. We had one day on either end of the cruise on property. Those two days were really good reminders why we NEVER go to WDW in August. We didn't even do any parks (just DtD and the resort pools) but, man, that humidity was killer. Plus, Downtown Disney on a Saturday night in August is a madhouse I will never go back to in my life!

I would try for any other time of year, to be honest. It's just too darn uncomfortable to really enjoy yourself.

AgentC
09-04-2012, 10:01 AM
August can be successful with the tips others have already given. For me, I really try to avoid it. It is is just not pleasant for me to be in line in the heat and humidity.

Then again I don't even like going out to my mailbox in August! :D

gaffz70
09-04-2012, 10:14 AM
We just returned 8/27 from our 3rd WDW trip in August. This past year was the least hot and the least amount of crowds of all of our Aug trips. We only had short rain showers. For us it works great. We are not only about the parks, but also enjoying our resort, pool and restaurants. Even at the parks, we take advantage of shows and indoor rides. It is completely manageable and the later you go in August, the less the crowds are.

Also fur us, it is hot and humid in philly when we leave, so it is not a complete culture shock for it to be hot and humid when we get there - its just a little hotter

CzepielCrew
09-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks everyone!
I think it will be August.
Afternoon breaks seem like the key

bruin1344
09-04-2012, 10:20 PM
It was very humid and it thundered briefly almost everyday but still had a great time and found enough attractions to stay cool in.

SBETigg
09-04-2012, 10:32 PM
We've gone in August a few times. With school schedules, it just worked out best for us. But last time, my husband said it was his last August trip. Too hot for him. A lot of people say that it's just as hot where they live, so no big deal. But most people are not out all day in the heat like you are at WDW and it does sap your energy and slow you down.

We get a lot done in August, but we change our routine to accommodate the conditions. We take advantage of later hours and early mornings, eat our bigger meal at midday and get out of the heat, avoid all outdoor CS venues, and stay hydrated. But even with the best planning, it can be unbearable.

Disney Doll
09-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Here's the deal. It's like being in survival mode- drink lots of water, get a mister fan, bring the gel filled neck scarfs, take lots of breaks. Is it doable? Sure. It is a pleasant way to enjoy a vacation? No. Personally, I can't stand being sweaty all day long so August is a no go for me. :whew:

BrerGnat
09-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Personally, I can't stand being sweaty all day long so August is a no go for me. :whew:

That's how I feel too. I kind of break out in hives if I stay sweaty too long (my skin is really sensitive) and if I need to take two showers daily on vacation and I did NOT swim OR workout, that's too darn hot/humid for me. ;)

joonyer
09-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Yeah, it's almost miserably hot and humid in Orlando in August, and June and July, too, and the first half of September can be the same, for that matter. But my theory is: being at WDW on any day, with any weather (except maybe a hurricane) and no matter how crowded, is better than the same day back in the real world. We decide to visit when we can get the most time off from work/kids from school, etc. and if that's the only time we can get away, I don't let the weather or crowds at WDW change my mind about going. If it came down to going in August, vs. not going at all, I'd gladly put up with the heat, humidity and rainy days to be there.

darthmacho
09-05-2012, 01:51 PM
As you can see, our last three trips have been August. It's the time that we can afford and not have to take the kids out of school.

It's hot and humid.
There are daily thunderstorms.
At times, this made it difficult to plan, and things got changed or cancelled, but it was minimal.
This past trip, I thought both were tolerable, but my wife hated the heat.
I'm pretty sure we'll be going in August again next time. :mickey:

j2k
09-07-2012, 01:01 AM
We were at WDW at the beginning of August. Yes, it was hot but I really did not think it was unmanageable. We would make sure to get enough indoor attractions done to limit the amount of time in the heat. Yes we would sweat but we were not dripping in sweat. Make sure you wear breathable light colored clothing; And like everyone else said, drink lots of water, take in indoor attractions, take a break midday and you should be fine.

We live in South Louisiana so the weather was very similar to spending a day outside at home.

Becca3557
09-08-2012, 08:04 PM
August is tough for people who can't tolerate heat and humidity (raising hand!:blush: ). And I have asthma also, so I take double care not to overdo it.

I recommend having a plan for handling the extreme heat. Coupled with crowds, it can get exhausting. I sometimes think the pressure to do and see everything is overwhelming.

Pace yourself, stay hydrated, keep an eye on the other folks in your group, especially the very young and seniors who don't regulate body temps well. Make sure you eat, but do so lightly - sandwiches and salads, fruit, ice cream. Go lightly on the adult beverages.

It's not my favorite time to visit by a long shot. But with our busy schedules there are years it is the only time that works. We love our WDW trips and won't give them up. :cloud9: So I deal and so far it's been fine.